What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

EB negatives

Houston had a really great frosh year, right? Didn't he have a break out game against SC?

I was there. It was solid. But it's possible that one game set up a series of expectations for the young man, that didn't fit the team concept. I'm not suggesting I know what happened, but that's one of the possibilities.

Houston was injured and lost his balls. EB pressured him to find them ASAP. Houston transferred instead. Houston could not locate his balls in Ft. Collins either.

That's a fine line, right? Playing when you're injured. There are times to push and there are times to backtrack and fight another day. I, for one, would not be too keen on having someone pressure me to play when that person cannot know what is going on with my own body/injury. Wasn't this the heart of the dispute between MH and EB? Look at all of the crippled former players. Some injury cannot be avoided, but there is usually a smart way to go about things in terms of recovery.

Lack of coordinator exp is my main concern about EB. Not so much concerned about his knowledge of the X's and O's. More about his being qualified as the potential CEO of CU football to hire/fire/evaluate/oversee the people who would be handling those duties. Other than the QB situation, that appeared to be Hawkins biggest downfall.

Seems to me that it's pretty rare for someone to be offered a BCS HC gig without learning the ropes at coordinator first. Decided to dig a little to see if there's anything to it.

Name/Coord Exp(BCS or NFL)/HC Exp(BCS or NFL)/Total coord + hc exp prior to being hired at current job(BCS or NFL)

Stoops 5(5) 10(10) 5(5)
Tedford 9(4) 9(9) 9(4)
Kelly 11(2) 2(2) 11(2)
Erickson 5(0) 22(18) 23(14)
Riley 8(3) 17(12) 17(7)
Harbaugh 0(0) 6(3) 3(0)
Ellen 1(1) 10(10) 8(8)
Kiffin 6(6) 5(5) 10(10)
Sarkisian 2(2) 2(2) 2(2)
Wulff 2(0) 11(3) 10(0)

Looks like PAC coaches average about 10 yrs prior coordinator/HC experience before landing their current gig. Harbaugh is the only one who did not have prior coordinator exp. He jumped from QB coach in the NFL to HC at UCSD for 3 yrs before being offered the Stanford job.

I think EB has the potential to be a successful HC under the right circumstances. I just don't know if the situation right now at CU is it. Talent-wise we're a notch above WSU next year and not much more. Unless we get the right HC and some VERY good X's and O's guys we're not going to have the luxury of a bowl game to help recruiting.

I guess in some ways maybe it would be better for him to go through his learning curve at a program like CU that's down. He's not going to get the same criticism that Ellen did for wrecking Macs Ferrari. It's already wrecked so he can drive it like he stole it and nobody will notice another ding or two. I will support EB and root like hell for him to succeed if he gets the job. I just hope everyone has some patience and understands that it could take awhile for him to get his staff set. Could be 6 yrs before we even know if he was a good hire.

Last edited:
Ok, so EB doesn't check the box for having coordinator experience... This is the only reason we can afford him so this is actually a selling point for CU.

EB is a former star Buff and he's a proven recruiter. And he likes to yell and get fired up. Other than that, I don't see anything. Jumping this guy from RB coach to CEO position at a major program is a joke. CU is not that unique to settle for this.

Ok, so EB doesn't check the box for having coordinator experience... This is the only reason we can afford him so this is actually a selling point for CU.

Our budget for a HC is reportedly about $2 million a year. Are you honestly trying to tell us that EB, as a coordinator, would demand more than the vast majority of D-1 coaches?? :lol: :lol: I mean, I admire your slavish devotion to EB as much as anybody, but that is one serious stretch trying to twist that argument back in EBs favor... :rofl:

EB is a former star Buff and he's a proven recruiter. And he likes to yell and get fired up. Other than that, I don't see anything. Jumping this guy from RB coach to CEO position at a major program is a joke. CU is not that unique to settle for this.
You don't expect anyone to buy this, do you?

Sure EB is a fiery guy, and I do think that kind of attitude can hurt him at times. I just think to say that this is all he is, is a big mistake.

Its a stretch to compare EB and LP for starters apples and oranges IMO, but if EB was in fact violent with a female it will change my point of view.

As you say back on topic, is EB my first choice as HC not at all. If we can get a Miles,Belotti or Richt thats ****ing fantastic, but if not I would rather see Bohn go the Mac/EB route rather than Calhoun or McFizpatrick or whoever. Bottom line is I dont trust Bohn at all.

There was enough evidence to get him permanently banned from campus from 1994 onwards. It was Gary Barnett who got the ban lifted so he could hire EB. EB has a checkered past that does not look much better than LPs. I think EB has put those things behind him and become a much better person. Compared to LP who I believe is in prison.

EB does bring the fire buy Wally is right; is this the best guy we can get and is he the right guy for us at this time?

I am with OKC, this looks like John Blake part 2, we are making all the same arguments they made for Blake, the parallels are frightening. The list of EB negatives goes beyond just what is listed in this thread and is in my opinion too much to have him as anything but a last resort/cheap hire coach. We have all the stuff the OP posted, you have all the points that Wally made, and you have the issues with his tenure during the "scandal." We just sent our selves to purgatory and spent 5 years watching our team play tiddlywinks and spout zen philosophy so that we could make nice with our reputation, our national media perception, the faculty, and the admin. We don't need to undo that goodwill with one hire, especially not when there are other options who can come here with out the baggage and win.

If it turns out we need to hire on the cheap then fine bring in EB, I'd be ok with that; but if we really are going to start paying big-boy money to coaches then we need an experienced coach who doesnt have a checkered past.

Speaking of John Blake, how great would it be if we could get him to Boulder to coach our DL?

Dude can coach and recruit. Just wasn't a good head man.

if you don't think we are the laughing stock of college football, you should talk to fans of other teams.

I was unaware my only two choices for CU are probation or losing lots of games. Thanks for setting me straight.

If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!! :lol:

narniavid.gif

Back