What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ed Rush and officials being investigated for targeting Zona

id

[h=1]Not surprised.. It will get worse.. Ed Rush Pac-12 head of officials investigated for targeting Arizona's Sean Miller http://t.co/NApLgGIJcu[/h]
@mcuban 5 hours ago

Referee Michael Irving -- who sources confirmed was in the room with Rush on Friday -- hit Miller with a controversial technical with 4:37 left in the Pac-12 semifinals against UCLA. The Bruins wound up winning the game, 66-64. Miller was upset about a double-dribble call on Arizona point guard Mark Lyons, arguing that a UCLA player had gotten his hand on the ball before Lyons picked it up.
Miller later claimed he did not direct any profanities at Irving or any of the other officials at the time. The technical was his first of the season.
“The reason I got the technical foul is because I said, ‘He touched the ball. He touched the ball. He touched the ball. He touched the ball. He touched the ball,'" Miller said immediately after the loss. Miller was reprimanded by the Pac-12 and fined $25,000 by the league for confronting a game official after the game had concluded, as well as for acting inappropriately toward a Pac-12 staffer in the hallway of the arena.

This cannot be over with that "investigation and response" for Mr. Scott. Unacceptable.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21989633

"As a basketball referee, it's a horrible position to be put in by your supervisor," he continued. "If you don't do anything, you probably won't get any good games down the road -- or you may not get any games at all. That leaves us in a tough spot."

"He's a bully," the referee said of Rush. "He just bullies everyone. That was his whole tenor of the meeting on Friday. We're all afraid of him. He's the most respected basketball officiating person on the West Coast and he's been given all the juice."

Last edited:
Was Rush joking? It was an inappropriate joke if he was. There are some things in our professional lives we can't joke about because it undermines the integrity of our profession. Each profession probably has a couple of taboos, and I'm flabbergasted that even joking about offering incentives to give a certain coach a "T" isn't a firing offense.

And of course that joke came from somewhere--I'm guessing as a joke it was half-hearted at best.

Was Rush joking? It was an inappropriate joke if he was. There are some things in our professional lives we can't joke about because it undermines the integrity of our profession. Each profession probably has a couple of taboos, and I'm flabbergasted that even joking about offering incentives to give a certain coach a "T" isn't a firing offense.

And of course that joke came from somewhere--I'm guessing as a joke it was half-hearted at best.
Completely agree. And it's why Buffnik will probably lose his seat on the Board of Directors for the Canadian Power Trio Hall of Fame. You just can't joke about that kid of stuff, Nik!

Is that the name of the restaurant with all the goofy **** on the wall and the mozzarella sticks?

Shenanigans.

Or, wait... Super Troopers...

Am I in the right thread for this?

At least the C-Unit has a built in chant for blown/bad/controversial calls next year. Don't chant "Bull****", chant "Cancun" instead. The league office will get pretty tired of hearing that one in a hurry I'm guessing.

and on queue Andy Glockner turns up the heat.

The Pac-12 simply cannot have this. Larry Scott cannot enable this. He’s too savvy a businessman to believe he can brush this under the rug and have Pac-12 basketball operate under a cloud of suspicion. Rush may very well have been joking, but the impact of his words, both on the referees who report to him and to the fans who watch his league, is anything but a joke. The only joke would be if the league does nothing about this.

Jon Wilner on it now too:

http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread....ller-Larry-Scott’s-response-and-USC-hires-Dun

At least the C-Unit has a built in chant for blown/bad/controversial calls next year. Don't chant "Bull****", chant "Cancun" instead. The league office will get pretty tired of hearing that one in a hurry I'm guessing.

"Payyyyy-Rolllll" "Mo-ney Talks" "You've been bought" "We've been Rush'd"

I believe that Pac-12 officials have taken on the NBA mentality in a bad way. Personal likes and dislikes of coaches and players influences their officiating. Further, there is a level of ego that should not be seen in officials and it rears its ugly head when something happens that embarrasses these officials.

My personal belief, and something for which no one will change my opinion, is that the national hubbub over the Chen shot in Tucson and Tad's statements afterward caused the Buffs to get boned by Pac-12 officials the rest of the season. This was especially evident in that the Buffs rarely got the majority of 50/50 calls when playing at home. It reached a head in the Arizona State game when the officials allowed thugball, lost control, and even called a foul on Jelly for a play on which he got knocked out by a blow to the head.
Ed Rush is responsible for this. The comments he made in the officials meeting regarding Zona's Miller were not, I believe, an isolated incident. Rather, these comments are a peek behind the curtain at the culture that Rush is creating. Larry Scott must move quickly and decisively to fix this issue. It compromises the Pac-12 competition along with the national brand image.

The fact that this is the lead story on Sports Center means Rush can start packing his office up now. Too much of a media storm for him to stay. And given the tech called against Miller in the UCLA game, he was at best joking about giving a reward for a tech on Miller in order to emphasize t-ing Miller up.

The fact that this is the lead story on Sports Center means Rush can start packing his office up now. Too much of a media storm for him to stay. And given the tech called against Miller in the UCLA game, he was at best joking about giving a reward for a tech on Miller in order to emphasize t-ing Miller up.

This is the thing, if the T doesnt happen you can pass it off, but IT DID, so coincidence or not its time to go.

I’m really disappointed in Scott. He had a golden opportunity to make a strong leadership decision and he blew it. Rush should have been fired immediately when Scott learned the facts. He’s still going to get fired but Scott now appears weak.

And here's the thing - even if Rush was joking, even if none of the officials actually changed how they called the game because of what he said, even if there's nothing to this story, Pac 12 basketball officiating still sucks out loud. The performance of the officials on the court should be a good enough reason to can Rush's ass. The fact that this story has come out about him targeting a coach, the same type of **** people always suspected him of doing in the NBA, is just the icing on the cake.

Anyone know the backstory on this, i.e., why does Rush apparently have a bug up his ass re Miller? Do these guys have a history with each other?

I agree that whether he was "joking" or not is irrelevant ... when you target an individual as the butt of a joke, it exhibits a disrespect that one's subordinates pick up on. It would be like your boss made a joke about a colleague in a meeting with his subordinates at which the colleague was not present. It sends the wrong message. Rush must go ASAP.

He’s still going to get fired but Scott now appears weak.

Like the Ukraine.

Anyone know the backstory on this, i.e., why does Rush apparently have a bug up his ass re Miller? Do these guys have a history with each other?

I agree that whether he was "joking" or not is irrelevant ... when you target an individual as the butt of a joke, it exhibits a disrespect that one's subordinates pick up on. It would be like your boss made a joke about a colleague in a meeting with his subordinates at which the colleague was not present. It sends the wrong message. Rush must go ASAP.

Especially when that colleague's ability to perform their job is based entirely on the whims and judgment of everybody that is involved with the "joke".

They are showing a live interview of Scott by Scott Van Pelt on ESPN. He is really grilling him.

Back