What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Elon @ Colorado Basketball Game thread

Drexel and Charlotte are both decent. Canisius was a bad one.

Indeed, Drexel is usually competitive as well as Charlotte. Philly & North Carolina college bball teams should always be respected regardless of name recognition. Spencer led in scoring, but I think we have to give game ball to XJ. Was overpowering in first half and big reason why they jumped out. 10 boards in first half couple a 3s. Finished 12 & 15.

Guh. Was everyone hungover or what? Terrible effort, turnovers were especially bad. I'll take the win, but none of our starters were ready to play.

uh oh. So tired of the buffs playing down to the competition.

Not sure I'd call what we were watching "playing down" in the second half - the team was with out our best interior defender and the team's emotional leader. GIven that we still covered while not having key parts of our starting 5 available and Koch's insane game.

very good chance Elon is a top 150 win for us

Not to mention that this kind of game let us get a lot of minutes for the bench against a decent team. That can only bode well for our depth for the rest of the season.

Buffs covered the spread. Was there a few rough patches? Sure, but I don't think this performance deserves much moaning and groaning

this game should be considered like anything late season: survive and advance.
good effort by elon, but we have too much talent

Guh. Was everyone hungover or what? Terrible effort, turnovers were especially bad. I'll take the win, but none of our starters were ready to play.

Fairly normal for a game following a big win like the KU game was. Turnovers, free throw shooting and 3 point defense are definitely concerns

Watched the post game interview with the players, and a part was hilarious. The players were Spencer and George King. A reporter asked about the free throw struggles, and GK mentioned that the team as a whole needed to improve, but he shot better. The reporter then pointed out that he was 6-10, and he seemed fine with that.

At the end when Spencer and George were getting up to leave, you could hear Spencer give him a hard time and say something along the lines of "6 for 10," and King replied with a comeback like, "That's better than I've been shooting." Scary and funny at the same time.

10 straight! Dang. I'm definitely going to catch a game or 2 on the west coast and then the tourney. Tad got these guys really good, really fast.

Trademarks of Tad Boyle teams:

- Start slow
- Non-existent outside shooting
- Play down to competition
- Poor FT shooting

Fortunately, his other trademarks are we play D and get to the line a lot.

5/13 from 3 tonight. I'll take that.

IMO he sat his starters' asses on the bench and brought in XT, Mills, and the frosh in order to send a message, i.e., "Get your ****ing heads out of your asses. We have a deep bench that is getting better and better as they get more minutes ... and they'll get even more if you guys don't get your ****ing heads out of your ****ing asses. Capische?"

It seems to have worked. :nod:

Good post here.

Wasn't pretty, but its a win. Some around here need to chill.

Covered the spread despite having some injuries. There are 351 D-I programs, only 64 or so being major conference teams. That leaves about 285 "Elons" out there. Some of these teams are good. Elon had a bumpier start to the season than expected, but they've started clicking recently. They are tied for the best overall record in the SoCon right now and are picked to win it. Early returns don't show anyone better than them in conference. Davidson and a couple others will push them but I expect Elon to be dancing in March. They face Georgetown in a few days, I bet Georgetown wins by a similar margin and not 40.

UP 33-11 on the boards, I think XJ has 11 of ours.

Students need to go to these games. I was in school from 03-07 and I went to as many as possible and remember when the c-unit was 4 guys in light yellow shirts with cursive writing. The team is winning, and is far better (talent wise) than anything I got to watch. Go to the games, enjoy them. If you're at norlin/law library/earth sciences library in benson (PRO TIP) streaming the game just leave, you're not focused anyway.
I was 04-08, remember chanting "one more year" to Roby... yeah he stayed, probably wishes he hadn't.

I have one of those shirts, a few more than four guys. When CU makes the Final Four, I swear I'm going to show up wearing that shirt. I tweeted to Dennis about having the shirt still, and even he was making light of how hideous it was.

Covered the spread despite having some injuries. There are 351 D-I programs, only 64 or so being major conference teams. That leaves about 285 "Elons" out there. Some of these teams are good. Elon had a bumpier start to the season than expected, but they've started clicking recently. They are tied for the best overall record in the SoCon right now and are picked to win it. Early returns don't show anyone better than them in conference. Davidson and a couple others will push them but I expect Elon to be dancing in March. They face Georgetown in a few days, I bet Georgetown wins by a similar margin and not 40.

They are well coached. Did a good job setting screens on the perimeter to get open 3's. Probably as good or better than anyone else the Buffs have played this year.

I was 04-08, remember chanting "one more year" to Roby... yeah he stayed, probably wishes he hadn't.

I have one of those shirts, a few more than four guys. When CU makes the Final Four, I swear I'm going to show up wearing that shirt. I tweeted to Dennis about having the shirt still, and even he was making light of how hideous it was.

It's easy to forget we went 1-15 in conference play in '08/'09. It makes me chuckle whenever I read the mass-bitching on Rivals over only beating someone by 20. Rivals seems to have a large group that jumped on board around March 2012. By all means I welcome more fans and hope the fan base continues to grow. I certainly get frustrated at times myself, but sometimes it seems like it's easy to spot who sat around during those miserable years and who didn't. I remember being psyched to see the "great" crowds of like 5,500 when we started showing signs of life in '09/'10

Last edited:
Looks like the Buffs are way more talented than Elon but have not played with a great deal of energy or focus. The Buffs made it much harder than it had to be even with Koch having the night of his life.

With having gone to the tourney consequetive years and being ranked the Buffs are becoming a target. They are going to have to learn to bring it every night because their opponents will and if they aren't careful they can lose some that they shouldn't.
I usually don't get caught up in the whole "which team wants it more" because I think it's BS for the most part. But I will say this, Elon was playing for more than us. And I think they got up for this game.

We won not as decisively as I would've liked but I don't think the game was really ever in doubt. Just speaking for myself here, but I never got overly concerned. Could we have lost this game, sure, but very unlikely.

10-1

I liked seeing XJ play with focus in a non spotlight game. He was aggressive tonight.

I liked seeing Dustin and King break out of their funks tonight. Dustin, particularly, looked like a different person after he made a shot and then slammed home the dunk versus the guy we saw on those first couple free throws.

On the negative side, J-Hop was so off on his free throws and in generally it was like he'd developed walleye vision or something. Weird.

In the end, this was a team the Buffs would beat by 40 or more if they brought their A Game all night. I hate to see them sleepwalk through a good portion of a game, but I can't help but get excited about how talented they are when they can do that against a likely tournament team and still cruise to a 17-point win. The ceiling is so high. If they can reach it, this will be a season we talk about for a long time.

RPIForecast had an 86% chance of CU winning, favored by 13. Fwiw, that's the same % we have of beating Georgia and lower than Oregon State (88%). Elon is projected to have an end of regular season RPI of 131. Georgia's is projected as 168 and Oregon State's as 146. CU's is projected as 26.

It's easy to forget we went 1-15 in conference play in '08/'09. It makes me chuckle whenever I read the mass-bitching on Rivals over only beating someone by 20. Rivals seems to have a large group that jumped on board around March 2012. By all means I welcome more fans and hope the fan base continues to grow. I certainly get frustrated at times myself, but sometimes it seems like it's easy to spot who sat around during those miserable years and who didn't. I remember being psyched to see the "great" crowds of like 5,500 when we started showing signs of life in '09/'10
Bzdelik's debut when they got ~7k was a big deal. It was the largest opener in some time. My sophomore year, we had some decent attendance games when it looked like we would be a Tourney team at one point and the OU game I believe sold out(or came close) which was huge considering it wasn't KU. But yeah I was used to almost always seeing the bleachers above where the band sat(before they were moved along with the students) almost always completely empty.

We're at the point where we are complaining about wins. That's both a good and bad thing IMO. Noticed DC ran a headline talking about FT woes tonight AFTER A WIN. That would've been unheard of a few years ago.

I think me and you are in the same boat Cville, neither of us is happy just to make the dance but we don't have unrealistic Final Four expectations and coasting through conference play (although that would be nice)

Elon is exactly the type of game this team needed IMO -- great scheduling here. I said this earlier but I look at this as a 4/13, 5/12 Tourney game (realizing CU nor Elon will be seeded that high most likely) It's a team we should beat by a healthy margin and did, but could challenge us.

Back