What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

embree, hawkins, and the legendary coaching tree

Liver

modded mod
Club Member
Junta Member
say whatever you want about embree's staff thus far, but he's already demonstrated that he knows far more experienced BIG LEAGUE coaches than hawkins apparently could find.

greg brown called hawkins and asked for a job -- that's how hawkins landed him. the boise tag-alongs are well-documented in their total lack of credentials. cabral and hagan were holdovers. so, other than kiesau, who looks like he might be able to land a big job again, and helfrich, of course, who are definitively big league coaches?

on the other hand, embree, even with the kanavis hire considered, has more guys with nfl and big conference experience BY FAR than the hawk staff. these are guys that have recruited, played, and coached at the highest levels. some of them have many, many years of varied experience.

i don't understand why some people are bitching about him surrounding himself with guys he knows. the guys he knows appear to me to be FAR more qualified to run a major program than the vast majority of hawkins guys. and, this embree staff stacks up in experience and recruiting ability with most of the staffs in the p12, imho.

we are lucky to have these guys. the fact that many of them have connections to the program is a bonus.

The original concern I had with Embree was that I didn't Have any idea about his Rolodex and his organizational skills.

The fact he has not been an HC or coordinator was/is a red flag. The jury is out about what kind of game day coach he will be.

This far in, he gets props for having and executing a plan. He's getting assistants on board quickly. Those who are being hired appear tight knit and share passion about restoring the luster.

I appreciate JE's leadership he is showing thus far. I don't know how much of this quick start out of the blocks is attributed to JE, and how much is the guiding hand of McCartney. And I don't really care, either.

If JE is going to return this program to it's winning ways, he needs a fast start. He looks to be in as good a position as possible to get some recruits on board. The people he is bringing in have recruiting pipelines.

I'm now looking forward to the 2011 recruiting cycle, and what stories may come between now and the NLOI date.

Agree with Skiddy, I am impressed that JE had a plan when he landed here and is executing the plan perfectly. He's showing excellent organizational ability and seems to be a good communicator of his ideas (getting all the assistants on board quickly, speaking to team and future recruits etc.) So far so good but in the end wins and loses are the measuring stick.

say whatever you want about embree's staff thus far, but he's already demonstrated that he knows far more experienced BIG LEAGUE coaches than hawkins apparently could find.

greg brown called hawkins and asked for a job -- that's how hawkins landed him. the boise tag-alongs are well-documented in their total lack of credentials. cabral and hagan were holdovers. so, other than kiesau, who looks like he might be able to land a big job again, and helfrich, of course, who are definitively big league coaches?

on the other hand, embree, even with the kanavis hire considered, has more guys with nfl and big conference experience BY FAR than the hawk staff. these are guys that have recruited, played, and coached at the highest levels. some of them have many, many years of varied experience.

i don't understand why some people are bitching about him surrounding himself with guys he knows. the guys he knows appear to me to be FAR more qualified to run a major program than the vast majority of hawkins guys. and, this embree staff stacks up in experience and recruiting ability with most of the staffs in the p12, imho.

we are lucky to have these guys. the fact that many of them have connections to the program is a bonus.

Well said! And with all the connections to the program these guys have, it will only help us out more! Colorado is very unique, it is not an average job. But get the people in that know about it and look out. Things are looking up! Love the staff! I haven't been this pumped about the program for a long time!

Well said! And with all the connections to the program these guys have, it will only help us out more! Colorado is very unique, it is not an average job. But get the people in that know about it and look out. Things are looking up! Love the staff! I haven't been this pumped about the program for a long time!

Very unique indeed. As opposed just simply unique.

JE's rolodex > Hawk's "ahead of the curve, Boise Playbook" WAC guys....minus the confusing case of Helfrich (who isn't calling plays at UO)....

will still need to see wins to get 100% on board for the back to the past Biff reunion. sure, it feels good. but, is it?

JE's rolodex > Hawk's "ahead of the curve, Boise Playbook" WAC guys....minus the confusing case of Helfrich (who isn't calling plays at UO)....

will still need to see wins to get 100% on board for the back to the past Biff reunion. sure, it feels good. but, is it?

You're right, we need wins, but the commitment to get better coaches in here with experience and know about, and have passion for the program makes me so proud to be a buff!

I like the staff. While there are Buff ties in some of the positions, wasn't that to be expected. Everyone agreed on EB and some did not want JE without him. Great job of recruiting him to the staff. Kanavis is being brought into a great spot where he will be able to learn from Tui and Cabral plus he is supposed to be a great and needed contact that will get us back into Houston recruiting. Marshall, while he has Buff Ties to the very good 01 team, has a wide range of Offense experience that will be extremely useful to EB. The new TE/Passing Coordinator is a past HC who will bring leadership and extensive experience outside of the Buff family. Brown may be a question mark but I will trust JE to hold him accountable and think he will be fine. I think everyone is happy that Tui is on board with his experience and he is not from the Buff family.

With a couple of the others that are supossedly in play, I think this staff will be balanced between family ties and outside experience. As Embo said, there are going to be past HC, Coordinators, and guys with NFL experience on this staff. He is doing a better job of executing the staff search than I expected when he got the job and I am excited to see what they can do.

The budget for ACs is way up, partly due to Bohn and partly because Embree is making less than most. And that's because he has no HC experience. And thus he needs some top notch assts.

In addition to Helfrich and Kiesau, I think Grimes was also a non-Boise hire.

The problem I have with JE employing guys that he knows on a personal level is that these types of relationships can cloud judgement. One may overlook negatives and highlight positives with their friends. I'm optimistic with this group so far, but at the same time, only Tui at DLine coach has me really excited. The others all seem to be wait and see.

Back