What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Embree Presser Today

I'm done hearing from Embree this year until signing day or when he announces some coaches won't be coming back. Until then its just more of the same talk he's been spewing for over a year now.

I'd also suggest to Embree next year if we are still getting blown out by over 35 points every ****ing conference game than maybe he shouldn't be a head coach at the Div 1 level.

I'm sort of on board with this. The question is whether his words are motivating to the right people -- that is, the people that will still be here next year. If he can't motivate this senior class, but he can motivate the kids that will still be here, sing on Mr. Embree. If it's not doing anything for any of them then he needs to STFU and get back to work.

The speeches are overrated, that **** lasts about one series if that. If you dont have the desire and pride to give 100%, you have no business playing this game. You cant teach desire, you can motivate. Jimmy, we could be 10-2 and youd still want people fired. You strike me as the never satisfied type.

What role does the staff play in motivating the team? I am concerned with the lack of accountability, and the constant blaming of the players. Even if they aren't any good, I don't know that they should constantly be reminded of this.

Even if it is 100% the players, I think I would rather hear something along the lines of, "we need to do a better job of motivating the players."

Agree 100%. He´s the coach. It´s his job. If he doesn´t like the way the players conduct themselves he should do something about it and not come crying to the press.

I with everybody that has the "im tired of the talk" logic. Ive heard enough talk from everybody the last 5 years. Its time to show it on the field. However, Im not gonna condemn our coach because of this year alone. Will he be our guy for alot of years? I dont know until we see what direction we are going after signing day, spring ball, and on the field next season.

I with everybody that has the "im tired of the talk" logic. Ive heard enough talk from everybody the last 5 years. Its time to show it on the field. However, Im not gonna condemn our coach because of this year alone. Will he be our guy for alot of years? I dont know until we see what direction we are going after signing day, spring ball, and on the field next season.

Of course the circumstances have to be considered and I am not gonna condemn Embree, but he doesn´t get a free pass for everything from me.

Of course the circumstances have to be considered and I am not gonna condemn Embree, but he doesn´t get a free pass for everything from me.
I dont give him a free pass on everything either. No one should get a free pass when you're 2-10. The guy is gonna have to get some time tho. I know we live in a no patience world now but it's gonna take time no matter who the coach is here.

Considering the amount of emphasis put on the UCLA game and how flat the team came out, I'm even more concerned with how it's gonna go on Friday against Utah.

I'm tired of the talk coming from this team this year (and the prior 5 years). Please just STFU, go out there during a game when it matters (not Tuesday or Wednesday practice), and kick some a**

I'm trying to put myself in Embree's shoes. How do you motivate the unmotivatible? These senior players have been taking plays off, earning stupid penalties, misplaying their position and generally getting manhandled for four years. I can't think of any technique short of benching them all (and that probably wouldn't work either) that would change them. Embree needs to matriculate them and get a totally different team. Its all about the underclassmen now. That's who he's talking to. And a few days after cutting lose Deji and Nobriga, he's saying, 'The seniors are done. Losers are done. Now, who's gonna play?"

I'm trying to put myself in Embree's shoes. How do you motivate the unmotivatible? These senior players have been taking plays off, earning stupid penalties, misplaying their position and generally getting manhandled for four years. I can't think of any technique short of benching them all (and that probably wouldn't work either) that would change them. Embree needs to matriculate them and get a totally different team. Its all about the underclassmen now. That's who he's talking to. And a few days after cutting lose Deji and Nobriga, he's saying, 'The seniors are done. Losers are done. Now, who's gonna play?"
He's done as much of that as he can... and the one time he had someone behind the guy who could take the spot (Clemons and Mccullough), it worked great.

He is right about matching the intensity of the other team, its a must. We got punched in the mouth and folded, pure and simple. A coach can motivate you all day till he is blue in the face. Until we have guys that are willing to take that punch and then start throwing our own, you get the **** we've seen on a weekly basis. You cant teach heart and desire, thats gotta come from the players.

This falls on both coaching and the talent we have.

Given that Hawk lost his players last year it should have been easier for Embree to come in and take over the team. He didn't do that. IMO, that's why hiring a guy like Mac would have done wonders. He had been around during the Hawk years and the players knew him and respected him. The politicos made sure that never happened, but the transition year has been harder than it should have been. That falls on leadership. I'm concerned because Embree may not have "it." You see guys like Rhoads and Grobe and Synder and you see what they are doing with talent about equal to ours and you have to wonder. Their guys love their coach. Our coach has a lot of dissenters on our team.

They are also very stubborn. It's good to have a vision for the team, but too many teams have tried to make a team full of lackluster talent into something they are not. We are not a power running team. They tried to make Hansen a pocket passer and tried to have our OL be dominant in the run game. That's the vision, but we didn't have that. The vision is for the future. We live in the present. If we would have played to our strengths better this year than we would have probably won a few more games. Instead we saw a lot of man coverage with a defensive backfield that Cody would have thrown for 500 yards against. On offense they tried to make Hansen a pocket passer and Speedy a bruiser. Show flashes of the future and tell recruits what the end goal is going to be, not what it currently is. RichRod failed at Michigan not because they had crappy talent, but because he tried to make them something they weren't. When you inherit a team, you take on the sins of the father. Some guys can overcome it (Hoke at UM in a weak B1G), but most will fail if they don't adapt.

If we would have finished 2-11, but didn't get blown out in the first quarter or two of nearly game that'd be fine with me or if we did but the young guys still played with intensity I could sleep better at night; guys like Washington @UDub. Instead, we are seeing subpar coaching and scheming given our current talent level versus our competition. That falls on the coaches and it makes it tougher for the new guys to really believe in the coach.

Now, with that said we do have a lot of underperforming seniors. Embree had no choice but to play seniors that half-assed it because we had no depth. Imagine playing walkons at OL or DL or <insert position> where there's at least someone with experience. We already suck, it would have been worse. Was it a wise decision? Well, judging by his comments it would have been better to let more guys go in the offseason if they don't want to the BnG. He played to win this year with some players that should have been told to go if there wasn't a chance they'd buy into him. Perhaps he thought he had let go of everyone that would never buy in. Again, a leadership issue.

Even so, when down at UCLA 21 pts in the first he should have benched them. This is an internal issue, not one for us to see, unless he talks about players leaving the program. Even then he should just say they've parted ways.

When you have walkons that play with more heart and passion than some of our more talented players, you have to know he did inherit a mess. But instead of calling players out he should praise those that work their butts off and bench those that don't. And he shouldn't talk about those guys. Doesn't matter if its their last game ever as a college player.

If we started @Utah without all of the guys he's calling out then I'd be fine with that. It's not like we are going to win anyway. At least play with pride and passion though. They don't have to travel with the team. That wouldn't bother me. His the HC. We need to trust him, but he needs to start trusting himself and his players.

Last edited:
HAHAHA!......tired of hearing how Hawkins was more involved with their lives than football and had no nutrition program for the players.....Alabama has a line at food time for each position

Back