What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Embree Presser Today

I think this teams problems are more mental than physical. Non-BCS schools can keep within 25 points of a decent BCS team yet CU has lost 6 conference games by at least that much. I don’t think it is just the talent gap, in most of these games this team has lost the game before they get off the bus. How much of the responsibility to turn that around is on the players and how much is on the coaches, I don’t know.

However, how many coaches can you point to that regularly win 10 games that started out their head coaching careers 2-11 with 5 losses by more than 4 TD’s? I am hopeful that some of Embree and staff’s shortcomings are due to inexperience and they will improve, but I don’t think it is offsides to look at these as red flags and question if Embree will be able to turn this around.

I think this teams problems are more mental than physical. Non-BCS schools can keep within 25 points of a decent BCS team yet CU has lost 6 conference games by at least that much. I don’t think it is just the talent gap, in most of these games this team has lost the game before they get off the bus. How much of the responsibility to turn that around is on the players and how much is on the coaches, I don’t know.

However, how many coaches can you point to that regularly win 10 games that started out their head coaching careers 2-11 with 5 losses by more than 4 TD’s? I am hopeful that some of Embree and staff’s shortcomings are due to inexperience and they will improve, but I don’t think it is offsides to look at these as red flags and question if Embree will be able to turn this around.

A lot actually

He actually talked a lot about it... Mentioned that you can only give so many motivational speeches, because at some point you just have to have the inner desire and burning need to go out there and prove that you are better than the other guy.

Coach Mac used to say that Football doesn't build character, it exposes it. Some of these guys have been exposed, big-time.

It's gotta be both mental and physical when you're as uncompetitive as this team. Your point is well taken - this team needs to be more mentally tough... But there are some very clear physical deficiencies as well.

I agree with your second paragraph. A lot of people have pointed to Washington and Stanford's recent turnarounds when talking about CU's potential turnaround. The difference is that neither Harbaugh nor Sark struggled as much as Embree in their first year. They came in and immediately improved the program. Embree is taken two steps back before we take one step forward - it does make me worry about our ability to pull out of this extended nosedive.

It's gotta be both mental and physical when you're as uncompetitive as this team. Your point is well taken - this team needs to be more mentally tough... But there are some very clear physical deficiencies as well.

I agree with your second paragraph. A lot of people have pointed to Washington and Stanford's recent turnarounds when talking about CU's potential turnaround. The difference is that neither Harbaugh nor Sark struggled as much as Embree in their first year. They came in and immediately improved the program. Embree is taken two steps back before we take one step forward - it does make me worry about our ability to pull out of this extended nosedive.

Harbaugh had two straight losing seasons before he turned it around. There really are a lot of successful coaches who have started off ******, handfuls and handfuls of them.

I think Harbaugh had a 1-win season, and that might have been his first year. Was u-dub's o-fer season Sark's first as the coach? Can't remember.

Harbaugh had two straight losing seasons before he turned it around. There really are a lot of successful coaches who have started off ******, handfuls and handfuls of them.
And I would bet $100 that each of them were working with a whole lot more than Embree is.

Harbaugh's 1st year scores coming off 1-11 Walt Harris season in 2006. Finished 4-8

#14 UCLA 17-45
San JoseSt 37-0
#13 Oregon 31-55
#23 ASU 3-41
#2 at USC 24-23
TCU 36-38
at Arizona 21-20
at OSU 6-23
Washington 9-27
at WSU 17-33
Notre Dame 14-21
Cal 20-13

Much more competitive than CU was this year. And it had one of the more shocking upsets at USC when he was a 41 point underdog

Coaches with losing records to start.

Les Miles
Bobby Patrino
Gene Chizik (total of 5 wins in 2 years)
Steve Spurrier
Joe Paterno
Mack Brown (3 1 win seasons in his first 5 years coaching)
Mike Gundy
Bill Snyder
Bobby Bowden
Frank Beamer (total of 5 wins in first 2 years)
Lou Holtz
Bill McCartney (2,4,1 win seasons)

The list goes on. Embree had a lot to deal with. Wait till he gets the majority of his guys to judge

Les Miles
Bobby Patrino
Steve Spurrier
Joe Paterno
Mike Gundy
Bill Snyder
Bobby Bowden
Lou Holtz

The list goes on. Embree had a lot to deal with. Wait till he gets the majority of his guys to judge

That guy must not have been very good at motivating players or hiring good assistants. I don't care about the talent level he inherited or the mental state of the team when he was hired. Scheme and motivation should have had those teams winning.

Anyone have any problem with JE calling out the team again? Is he calling himself out at all? the other coaches?

I am very mixed. This is the worst CU team that I can remember. If JE's hands are clean, I am glad he is calling them out! On the other-hand, it has not seemed to help...... and his job is to get them to win. I agree with what he says, but most of these guys were good enough to beat Georgia and KSU. Is some of this on JE? If so, maybe he should tone it down.

It is a gamble for a coach to distance himself from the team when he rips them. Lets hope it pays off. Lets hope it is aimed at the younger guys and that they are getting JE's intended message the way he means to deliver it.

That guy must not have been very good at motivating players or hiring good assistants. I don't care about the talent level he inherited or the mental state of the team when he was hired. Scheme and motivation should have had those teams winning.
Bet he had an easier schedule than Embree too.

Yeah, my only point is that those programs hit rock bottom and then changed coaches.

We are hitting rock bottom after the coaching change. Not saying he can't succeed, just that the situations are different IMO.

Les Miles
Bobby Patrino
Steve Spurrier
Joe Paterno
Mike Gundy
Bill Snyder
Bobby Bowden
Lou Holtz

Good point Hell.

The problem is that the list with guys like Dan Hawkins at CU is 10 times as long. Lets hope JE is on your list. BTW.....I agree, it is too early to know.

Yeah, my only point is that those programs hit rock bottom and then changed coaches.

We are hitting rock bottom after the coaching change. Not saying he can't succeed, just that the situations are different IMO.

We already hit rock bottom with Hawkins. Embree wasn't going to fix this magically overnight. There have been lots of coaches struggle early when rebuilding. It takes time especially changing the mindset of a team that accepts losing as they did under Hawkins.

I do not think it is out of line to expect a little more out of the Hawaii and UCLA games than we got. Those were two games Embree himself highlighted.

tired of hearing how it's hawks guys and give Embree time - tired of coaches calling out players, tired of losing ! really tired of CU getting blown out...

1 coaches need to scheme to the players and talent on the team - period... worry about recruiting to a system, when you can install a system... perfect example ksu / snyder they competed with everyone they played

2 stop putting all the blame on the players... man up, take responsibility!! if you **** up, admit it !

3 do what it takes to win a game... if you have to run a triple half back pass on a double reverse then do it... perfect example...bsu vs ou / fiesta bowl

4 players need to do the same as #3 to win... play hard, no quit, drive your legs and ****ing wrap-up !! and keep coming till the other team says uncle

5 STOP MAKING ****ING EXCUSES !!

I'm done hearing from Embree this year until signing day or when he announces some coaches won't be coming back. Until then its just more of the same talk he's been spewing for over a year now.

I'd also suggest to Embree next year if we are still getting blown out by over 35 points every ****ing conference game than maybe he shouldn't be a head coach at the Div 1 level.

agreed!!

tired of hearing how it's hawks guys and give Embree time - tired of coaches calling out players, tired of losing ! really tired of CU getting blown out...

1 coaches need to scheme to the players and talent on the team - period... worry about recruiting to a system, when you can install a system... perfect example ksu / snyder they competed with everyone they played

2 stop putting all the blame on the players... man up, take responsibility!! if you **** up, admit it !

3 do what it takes to win a game... if you have to run a triple half back pass on a double reverse then do it... perfect example...bsu vs ou / fiesta bowl

4 players need to do the same as #3 to win... play hard, no quit, drive your legs and ****ing wrap-up !! and keep coming till the other team says uncle

About KSU, in Snyders first year back last year, he progressivly got worse as the season went on. Lost 4 of his last 6, including a loss to Colorado.

KSU also has the advantage of getting JUCO's and they have some big time transfers.

CU has been hit hard by the injury bug, a brutal schedule with no break, and a first time HC. We didn't do much worse than what we were predicted to do. You can't judge a football coach until at least 75% of the roster are his IMO.

EDIT: And heres an idea, if you aren't patient go become a fan of a school like Alabama or Oklahoma.

Last edited:
I'm done hearing from Embree this year until signing day or when he announces some coaches won't be coming back. Until then its just more of the same talk he's been spewing for over a year now.

I'd also suggest to Embree next year if we are still getting blown out by over 35 points every ****ing conference game than maybe he shouldn't be a head coach at the Div 1 level.

Dang Jimmy!! How do you really feel?? Your thoughts (true as they may be) would get you the boot from AZ's site even faster than me.

Got to get the Jimmies and Joes in here. Got to get a qb in here. Liked how Tyler stayed committed to the Buffs but the guy was not the answer. Out of the other 11 teams in the Pac12 where does Tyler start other than at CU. Of the 13 games how many times was Tyler the better QB? We tried the read option once this year and our two seniors (Hansen & Speedy) bumbled it and fumbled the ball away. Speedy is nice but I would have taken any of the Bruins backs. Did you see the Bruin back move the pile and score a TD. Does Speedy move the pile. When he is out we replace him with another 5'6" 180lb running back.

How many times this year did we out talent the other team on the field. I can maybe see two or three. Bottom line we just don't have the players right now.

Give him a little time to get his guys in here. This year is good for us as a sh&tpot of these guys are out of here. I would be much more concerned if only a handfull of the these current guys would be graduating and we would be looking at the same team as this year. We get around 30 fresh faces here for next year. Yes they will be young but it gives me hope that of these 30 there are going to be some studs that start to turn this thing around.

What is important it to keep the kids from leaving the program. It has been a killer to look back at the past 4-5 classes and see all of the players that left, never making a contribution. It is a killer from a depth standpoint and at least a few of these would have made major contributions.

Got to give the guy some time to get his players in here and get rid of the softness that has developed in this program the past few years. Embry is my guy and I'm sticking with him.

About KSU, in Snyders first year back last year, he progressivly got worse as the season went on. Lost 4 of his last 6, including a loss to Colorado.

KSU also has the advantage of getting JUCO's and they have some big time transfers.

CU has been hit hard by the injury bug, a brutal schedule with no break, and a first time HC. We didn't do much worse than what we were predicted to do. You can't judge a football coach until at least 75% of the roster are his IMO.

EDIT: And heres an idea, if you aren't patient go become a fan of a school like Alabama or Oklahoma.

You can detail the "advantages" KSU has over CU all you want. Bottom like HCBS (huge jerk) somehow has KSU #11 in the BCS National rankings. Think about that for a second........ Prince had Hawked them not long ago.

Oh yea, and the band of losers that JE has been ripping each week, beat KSU last year. JE may be THE GUY and he should get some time...but the excuses, 40 point blow outs and game OVER's 7 minutes into opening KO need to stop.

You can detail the "advantages" KSU has over CU all you want. Bottom like HCBS (huge jerk) somehow has KSU #11 in the BCS National rankings. Think about that for a second........ Prince had Hawked them not long ago.

Oh yea, and the band of losers that JE has been ripping each week, beat KSU last year. JE may be THE GUY and he should get some time...but the excuses, 40 point blow outs and game OVER's 7 minutes into opening KO need to stop.
My response... Quitters gonna quit + lack of talent + not buying into new coaching staff + coaching staff learning on the job/maybe coach just sucks. So ya, part of it is definitely Embree and co... but I don't think it is the majority of it, at least, not that you can tell yet.

I can agree with that - but you need to play the cards dealt until you get to the next hand

facepalm.jpg

I have no problem saying that right now Bill Snyder is better at running a BCS football program than Jon Embree. Probably a lot better. I think Embo would say the same. Why even try to make a comparison like that? Snyder's one of the greatest ever and only a handful of guys coaching today are in his league.

Back