What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Embree Presser Today

Tclem is a fantastic example of a Senior that has bought in. The effects are obvious. People should read yung's post UCLA game interview with him for some interesting stuff. Unfortunately, TClem is the exception, not the rule. The Seniors that have bought in are, imho, somewhere between 1/3 and 1/4 of the class. The leadership from last years team is completely gone, and nothing replaced it. Guys like speedy/Hansen/Miller are guys who care, but none of them are leaders, with the exception of Speedy, and then only by example. He is a quiet guy. Of the remaining seniors, only one is a "locker room leader" and he was a cancer until the third week of the season.

Ringo agrees.
http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-college-sports/ci_19392799?source=rss
KyleRingo:
The truth is I think what Embree said earlier this season is pretty much true. There are too many guys on the team right now who are "OK" with the results. There are a lot of guys who have lost a lot of games and are about to never play football again, what's the big deal if they lose another game? That's the mindset with too many Buffs right now. It's sad, but it just doesn't seem to mean as much to some of these guys

they are going to have a lifetime of regret if that is true. you can change your socks. you can change your haircut. you can't change your alma mater. they'll be sorry that their legacy is this, especially if they know in their hearts they contributed to it through a lack of effort or passion.

hopefully, they'll realize this and win one.****ing.road.game. before they leave.

If there was a lack of effort ALL YEAR, is that on the coaches also for not fixing the effort, teaching the importance of effort.....and if changing effort didn't work, then benching kids that blew off the staff and effort?

If there was a lack of effort ALL YEAR, is that on the coaches also for not fixing the effort, teaching the importance of effort.....and if changing effort didn't work, then benching kids that blew off the staff and effort?

Ringo also answered this.
Comment From Tom
If guys arent giving effort, why are they on the field at this point? Its not like the team could be doing worse if they didnt play.
fb_share2.png

12:53
KyleRingo:
As Embree said after the ASU game, the coaches are doing whatever they can to limit the playing time of those guys, but the depth situation is what it is and in some cases, those are the only guys they really have
and a bonus:
Comment From Brian
Last spring, do you think the staff recognized the lack of talent and speed or do you think they are suprised at how outclassed they are? This is not anywhere near BCS conference talent.

KyleRingo:
Yes, I do think they recognized it. You can go back and look at some of Embree's comments from the spring and summer and see that he realized it. When asked how many of the true freshman would have a chance to play last February on signing day, he said, "All of them." That was telling.

He said multiple times in the spring and summer that the Buffs would be underdogs in "every" game this season. Also very telling about what he saw and what he believed the Buffs were capable of

There are only so many guys on the team. Look at the injuries this year (along with a few guys we are carrying on scholarship despite never being able to play due to injury).

Even with burning all but 5(?) redshirts, we've still had guys playing new positions on a week's notice or had seniors that haven't lost their jobs. Remember, Embree also got rid of a number of guys in the spring too.

At this point, not sure I care. JE is the Buff coach for the next few years at least, nothing I can do about how he runs the program or whether he will be successful to our collective expectations. I choose to try and be a good fan, support him and the players, hope he increases the talent level and becomes a better coach. Good lord will'in and the creek don't rise, we will be challenging for championships in the coming years.

At this point, not sure I care. JE is the Buff coach for the next few years at least, nothing I can do about how he runs the program or whether he will be successful to our collective expectations. I choose to try and be a good fan, support him and the players, hope he increases the talent level and becomes a better coach. Good lord will'in and the creek don't rise, we will be challenging for championships in the coming years.

Did you take the same path w Hawk?

Tclem is a fantastic example of a Senior that has bought in. The effects are obvious. People should read yung's post UCLA game interview with him for some interesting stuff. Unfortunately, TClem is the exception, not the rule. The Seniors that have bought in are, imho, somewhere between 1/3 and 1/4 of the class. The leadership from last years team is completely gone, and nothing replaced it. Guys like speedy/Hansen/Miller are guys who care, but none of them are leaders, with the exception of Speedy, and then only by example. He is a quiet guy. Of the remaining seniors, only one is a "locker room leader" and he was a cancer until the third week of the season.

It makes no difference if a senior buys in or not if he is physically out manned on the field by the opposition. Slower, shorter, weaker guys are not going to compete regardless if they believe in the new system or not. Many claimed this staff would recruit lights out. Time to put up.

Edit: Clemons progress has been somewhat encouraging though.

I think most of us did. We gave him 2006 as a transition year despite the results. Then, we saw good things happening in 2007 while playing a lot of young guys and pulling in a highly rated recruiting class. When we took a step back in 2008, some got off the bandwagon while most grew cautiously optimistic that it may have been the rash of injuries that were to blame. After the "10 wins and no excuses" speech was followed up with getting punked by both CSU and Toledo to start 2009, pretty much everyone wanted him fired. For the 2010 season, it was hard to find a Hawkins supporter, but most of us did a pretty good job of stepping up and being program supporters hoping that we were somehow wrong about the guy despite all evidence to the contrary.

I would say that Embree has earned even more than we gave Hawkins given his history with the Buffs. Unfortunately, I think he's got a fan base that's a lot less patient now after having just gone through a failed rebuilding process. He may deserve more from us than Hawking got, but I don't know that we have that much left to give.

Who has he thrown under the bus? He's never named names. At one point, he refused to name names. The play speaks for itself, and it's clearly not team wide.

Clemmons says hi. He got ripped apart for that early on. Embree even apologized for airing the laundry for the public to see.

Clemmons has bought in. Great. Not all guys respond to that. It's his job to alienate this guys on the team in the locker room and at practice, not via the press. The players know who they are talking about. That's what important. Not us. As much as we'd all like to think that we are part of the team, we aren't. We just attend games and root for the team for a few hours out of the many countless hours they put in watching field, designing plays, etc... and talk about it on allbuffs with other 35 year olds.

Clemmons says hi. He got ripped apart for that early on. Embree even apologized for airing the laundry for the public to see.

Clemmons has bought in. Great. Not all guys respond to that. It's his job to alienate this guys on the team in the locker room and at practice, not via the press. The players know who they are talking about. That's what important. Not us. As much as we'd all like to think that we are part of the team, we aren't. We just attend games and root for the team for a few hours out of the many countless hours they put in watching field, designing plays, etc... and talk about it on allbuffs with other 35 year olds.
He did? Please find quote, I can't remember.

He did? Please find quote, I can't remember.

He mentioned Toney by name. Maybe more than once. Clemons was pissed. Didn't react well to it. Got benched. Came to Embree and they cleared the air. Tyler also talked to Toney and told him he needed to get back to practicing and carrying himself like a superstar, to get his confidence back. Since then, Toney's had the lightbulb go on and become the player we all knew he could be.

Sidenote: If Toney catches a TD against Utah, he will tie Rae Carruth for the CU record at 5 straight games with a TD catch.

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_18919557

There's more to it, but you get the gist. Clemmons has risen to his potential. Some of the lesser talented players have risen to their potential too and some guys have Speedy have exceeded it.

I can't fault the lesser talented guys because they are doing their best with their limited God-blessed gifts. If you get beat because you have don't the speed that's ok if you had good technique. Embree even said that at one point. It's frustrating for us fans because we see some of them playing over "more" talented players.

Guys, I do like Embree, but he just has to continue to grow as a FBS coach. He wasn't a guy who worked at a small school then came here (Hawk's ego was HUGE at BSU) or a coordinator at Michigan like Mac. Mac learned from one of the GOATs. Embree worked with Mac and Shanny, but maybe not at the level we all would have wanted before he got here (as a coordinator). He's just learning by fire right now. Some guys have Clemmon's temperament, other's don't.

Being a HC is more than Xs and Os. People here talk about Mac's playcalling all of the time and how he should have done X against Braska in '94. What was Mac though? Guy was a determined leader and set the vision. He was a guy people would want to run through a brickwall for. Mac wanted Embree and EB to be here. That gives me a lot of hope because he sees them as leaders. I like that. Now they need to grow up. And fast.

Last edited:
http://www.buffzone.com/ci_18919557

There's more to it, but you get the gist. Clemmons has risen to his potential. Some of the lesser talented players have risen to their potential too and some guys have Speedy have exceeded it.

I can't fault the lesser talented guys because they are doing their best with their limited God-blessed gifts. If you get beat because you have don't the speed that's ok if you had good technique. Embree even said that at one point. It's frustrating for us fans because we see some of them playing over "more" talented players.

Guys, I do like Embree, but he just has to continue to grow as a FBS coach. He wasn't a guy who worked at a small school then came here (Hawk's ego was HUGE at BSU) or a coordinator at Michigan like Mac. Mac learned from one of the GOATs. Embree worked with Mac and Shanny, but maybe not at the level we all would have wanted before he got here (as a coordinator). He's just learning by fire right now. Some guys have Clemmon's temperament, other's don't.

Being a HC is more than Xs and Os. People here talk about Mac's playcalling all of the time and how he should have done X against Braska in '94. What was Mac though? Guy was a determined leader and set the vision. He was a guy people would want to run through a brickwall for. Mac wanted Embree and EB to be here. That gives me a lot of hope because he sees them as leaders. I like that. Now they need to go up. And fast.

Looking past the recruiting ranks on guys, the big key with our recruiting is culture. Embree is recruiting players that have that temperament. Major made the comment earlier in the year that all the new freshmen are like Embree Jr.'s.

He mentioned Toney by name. Maybe more than once. Clemons was pissed. Didn't react well to it. Got benched. Came to Embree and they cleared the air. Tyler also talked to Toney and told him he needed to get back to practicing and carrying himself like a superstar, to get his confidence back. Since then, Toney's had the lightbulb go on and become the player we all knew he could be.

Sidenote: If Toney catches a TD against Utah, he will tie Rae Carruth for the CU record at 5 straight games with a TD catch.

Many records have gone by the wayside the past few years, nice accomplishments but in the context of when EB ,stewart and westbrook did it, it doesn't have the same zing...

Many records have gone by the wayside the past few years, nice accomplishments but in the context of when EB ,stewart and westbrook did it, it doesn't have the same zing...

I hear you. Just throwing something out there to support how Toney has turned it on and played well.

Totally agree that while our offensive record books have a lot of names from the past 6 years at the top (Cody Hawkins, Scotty McKnight, Rodney Stewart)... that while they were certainly good Buffs that had nice careers here... any records set during an era when we didn't have a single winning season aren't the same thing.

Yup... I had just as much control over what he did as I have on JE. Funny how that works. More neg rep coming your way too... well done. :smile2:

I am a ****ing idot... I am so used to giving positive rep, I jacked that up... :lol: Rep coming everyone's way so I can right my wrong. :huh:

Last edited:
I hear you. Just throwing something out there to support how Toney has turned it on and played well.

Totally agree that while our offensive record books have a lot of names from the past 6 years at the top (Cody Hawkins, Scotty McKnight, Rodney Stewart)... that while they were certainly good Buffs that had nice careers here... any records set during an era when we didn't have a single winning season aren't the same thing.

If the rest of the team had clemons attitude and fire, we might all be in a better mood :huh:

Looking past the recruiting ranks on guys, the big key with our recruiting is culture. Embree is recruiting players that have that temperament. Major made the comment earlier in the year that all the new freshmen are like Embree Jr.'s.

And I love that. That's great. That's also a long term solution while Hawk's guys are still around. What he said today rings true. I agree with that. What he said is for the younger players and for guys he's recruiting.

For all of the things that I didn't like about Hawk I remember him saying that all of Barney's guys were his too, because they wear the BnG. Hawk ended up a crappy leader. Embree is still making his legacy at CU. You can't force people to change, that's for certain, and if a guy is an asshole Embree doesn't have to accommodate them. He also just needs to realize that all of these guys are Buffs. Buffs recruited by a fraud, but they will be Buffs. The program should be open to these guys as much as they are to guys in the 80s and 90s (again, assuming they aren't asses). They just got used to the way things were done and some, not all, were probably upset when Hawk was gone. Just deal with it outside of the media. If Embree turns this ship around and is still around when these guys get older they'll see what he is doing is for the best of the program. Being short-sighted as an 18-23 year old is expected. Some of those players have one game left and for the people that have more eligibility left then they'll probably quit.

Embree doesn't need to waste the time talking about any team cancers. We have Utah this week. It just sounds like excuses. People that are aware of what Hawk left understand more than most that we don't have very much talent left. This isn't like Hawk in '06, barring QB play. In chat on gameday we all get riled up and are irrational. That's not so much the case during the week. Well, for most of us anyway.

Embree did call timeouts during the 4th quarter of the Arizona game and made sure to manage it so that every single senior saw game action (regardless of whether they had seen a snap all season).

He also brought every single one of them to the post-game press conference.

I strongly believe that he has embraced them as Buffs.

He's just not the kind of guy who has it in him to be political and keep his mouth shut when he sees Buff football players behaving in a way that offends him to his core. For better or worse, I don't think he's going to be able to be political with that.

Embree did call timeouts during the 4th quarter of the Arizona game and made sure to manage it so that every single senior saw game action (regardless of whether they had seen a snap all season).

He's just not the kind of guy who has it in him to be political and keep his mouth shut when he sees Buff football players behaving in a way that offends him to his core. For better or worse, I don't think he's going to be able to be political with that.
Agreed, listening to the presser today, I was surprised by how raw it sounded.

He is trying and for a first year coach he is making strides. Making the leap from a position coach to HC isn't easy as it does come with a lot of other responsibilities you won't know about until it happens. Fan bases aren't like what they were in the 80s or 90s and since we've known success they'll never be what it was for Mac. It's just a 3 steps forward, 1 step back kind of a thing. Being a HC is very political by its very nature at a football school. Hell, Saban at Bama makes more than the school Prez! Look at even the politics at dear ol CU that kept Hawk around for another year that he didn't deserve that set Embree back even more.

The fact remains that dealing with people is a lot more difficult than trying to outsmart someone when drawing up the next play, imo. Every year we hear about the next great OC or DC. Malzahn, this year the OC at Clemson, Holgerson, Muschamp, Weiss, McDaniels, yada yada yada. Some will be great HCs, others were lucky because they had great talent (Pat White at WVU made RR look like a genius), but most will fail when given the opportunity. London at UVA is doing incredible things this year. At work, it's not the smartest engineers that get promoted, it's the engineers that mix talent, luck and their personal skills to rise above those that are superior in intellect. ****, say what you will about Steve Jobs, but the man was a master businessman, not engineer. Woz was brilliant and helped Apple start, but without Jobs they were just an also-ran. The HC of a program like CU is like being a CEO of a Fortune 500. You have to compete with other companies that want the same talent and can offer the same, if not better, perks than you can. Still have to get it done either way.

When Barney left, Hawk had it worse than Embree does now and that's saying a lot. Barney's players loved him--for all accounts that I've read. Yeah, they played like ass at the end of '05 and the team suffered because of his ego and the way he dealt with the press, but they loved him. Seems like at the end a lot of Hawk's players hated him. Edsall at Maryland is facing a tough time because they ****-canned Fridge after he turned them around after a ****** year.

I just see coaches like Rhoads at Iowa State and how he gets his guys on board one year after Chizik left for Auburn make a bowl game and win more than they did with a "MNC caliber" coach because the players bought in. We are passed the point where players should be bought in or not given that Hawk really did lose the team in his last year (especially after KU, FFS I'm still upset about that one!). Were we a bowl-eligible team this year? Not with our schedule--thanks a lot, Bohn--but plenty of teams could have just piled on points. NMSU scored 34 points on Hawaii and lost by 11. We lost by more than that and only scored 17. Both games were at Hawaii. Are you saying that NMSU has better athletes than us? I follow that team and while Walker is doing great things, they have more depth issues than we could ever imagine. None of the points in that game, except the last TD were garbage points. He's learning on the job too and has some growing pains. Thing is though is that NMSU isn't CU.

He is trying and for a first year coach he is making strides. Making the leap from a position coach to HC isn't easy as it does come with a lot of other responsibilities you won't know about until it happens. Fan bases aren't like what they were in the 80s or 90s and since we've known success they'll never be what it was for Mac. It's just a 3 steps forward, 1 step back kind of a thing. Being a HC is very political by its very nature at a football school. Hell, Saban at Bama makes more than the school Prez! Look at even the politics at dear ol CU that kept Hawk around for another year that he didn't deserve that set Embree back even more.

The fact remains that dealing with people is a lot more difficult than trying to outsmart someone when drawing up the next play, imo. Every year we hear about the next great OC or DC. Malzahn, this year the OC at Clemson, Holgerson, Muschamp, Weiss, McDaniels, yada yada yada. Some will be great HCs, others were lucky because they had great talent (Pat White at WVU made RR look like a genius), but most will fail when given the opportunity. London at UVA is doing incredible things this year. At work, it's not the smartest engineers that get promoted, it's the engineers that mix talent, luck and their personal skills to rise above those that are superior in intellect. ****, say what you will about Steve Jobs, but the man was a master businessman, not engineer. Woz was brilliant and helped Apple start, but without Jobs they were just an also-ran. The HC of a program like CU is like being a CEO of a Fortune 500. You have to compete with other companies that want the same talent and can offer the same, if not better, perks than you can. Still have to get it done either way.

When Barney left, Hawk had it worse than Embree does now and that's saying a lot. Barney's players loved him--for all accounts that I've read. Yeah, they played like ass at the end of '05 and the team suffered because of his ego and the way he dealt with the press, but they loved him. Seems like at the end a lot of Hawk's players hated him. Edsall at Maryland is facing a tough time because they ****-canned Fridge after he turned them around after a ****** year.

I just see coaches like Rhoads at Iowa State and how he gets his guys on board one year after Chizik left for Auburn make a bowl game and win more than they did with a "MNC caliber" coach because the players bought in. We are passed the point where players should be bought in or not given that Hawk really did lose the team in his last year (especially after KU, FFS I'm still upset about that one!). Were we a bowl-eligible team this year? Not with our schedule--thanks a lot, Bohn--but plenty of teams could have just piled on points. NMSU scored 34 points on Hawaii and lost by 11. We lost by more than that and only scored 17. Both games were at Hawaii. Are you saying that NMSU has better athletes than us? I follow that team and while Walker is doing great things, they have more depth issues than we could ever imagine. None of the points in that game, except the last TD were garbage points. He's learning on the job too and has some growing pains. Thing is though is that NMSU isn't CU.
Did Mtn hack your account or something? Lol jk.

Did Mtn hack your account or something? Lol jk.

Nah, if you go back to early posts that I used to write they were about that length. For a while I just got sick of having no one respond to me. Internet banter favors the people with short or witty replies more so than people that have thought things through.

Back