What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Embree Q&A in the Post

Well, if we follow your rules then, we need to ban black altogether, since it started as a gimmick too.

It does nothing of the sort. My point is that we pick a scheme and stick with it. The black on black was a gimmick. We never had a gimmick for the road unis. As long as we're picking a scheme and sticking with it, let's pick the right scheme.

Well, if we follow your rules then, we need to ban black altogether, since it started as a gimmick too.

It did not start as a gimmick, and you know that. Or at least you should. CU has had black home uniforms since the 1940's. Give me a break.

Personally, I like the new uniforms, home and away. Saying that, I like the old ones a lot to. I could give two ****s less.

Not true. Jimmy Smith and Jalil both played on most if not all ST's units. Among others...
Our special teams contributors last year (Excluding LS, K, P):

Matt Meyer
Deji Olatoye
Cameron Ham
Tyler Ahles
Corey Nabors
Travis Sandersfield
David Goldberg
Jonathan Hawkins
Evan Harrington
Ray Polk
Paul Vigo
Terrel Smith
Jered Bell
Anthony Perkins
Liloa Nobriga
Jalil Brown
Ryan Deehan
Jimmy Smith
Michael Sipili
Josh Hartigan
Brian Lockridge
Patrick Mahnke
Will Pericak
Arthur Jaffee
Derrick Webb
Doug Rippy

it's about 50/50. Interested to see if we see a different philosophy under Embree.

Clemons and Jefferson were also on the return teams. But back to the uni's. Personally I really like our current one's along with the throwback. A good mix of the two is best. Or atleast have a "newer" uni for one game a year with one standard the rest. I'd be in favor of a pro-combat uni

I think the white-on-white is for a special occasion when you're a top ten team. Oregon will be doing white on white for the second time this year in the National Championship game. Black pants, white jersey, gold helmet is the ideal standard look, one of the best looking unis in sports. Imagine if CU was ranked 5th, it would be fly to come out in all-white. Do not understand the all white choice for Nebraska this year.

I think the white-on-white is for a special occasion when you're a top ten team. Oregon will be doing white on white for the second time this year in the National Championship game. Black pants, white jersey, gold helmet is the ideal standard look, one of the best looking unis in sports. Imagine if CU was ranked 5th, it would be fly to come out in all-white. Do not understand the all white choice for Nebraska this year.

I can't tell if sacky is gonna + rep you or - rep you. Nice first post. Welcome!

Awesome. Barnet era had the best unis, IMO. We have one of the toughest schedules in the country next year so these guys better start training like psychopaths and quit twittering.

As for the uni colors, I say we let Nike decide.

BTW, I love the REAL gold helmets vs the kind of faded gold ones of the past. Looks like the paint industry finally figured out the "gold formula." Now, if we could do the same for the student T-Shirts.

BTW, I love the REAL gold helmets vs the kind of faded gold ones of the past. Looks like the paint industry finally figured out the "gold formula." Now, if we could do the same for the student T-Shirts.

Wrong the old helmets were better.

l33k7j-williamsalfred012.jpg

I am with Sacky on this except for the occassional black on black. I do agree that we should sport the black helmets along with the black on black. Loved he black helmets with the silver buffalo on the sides. Bad ass helmuts.

I see the uniforms generated a number of comments. The school colors are silver and gold. The Buffs had gold jerseys and silver pants for a long time. I think Dal Ward often had the Buffs in gold jerseys and gold pants at home. I believe the black jerseys were first used by Sonny Grandelius in 1959. They had black jerseys on silver pants with silver helmets. Grandelius wanted a contrast when analyzing film. The Buffs gold jerseys were hard to differentiate from visiting white jerseys on film. Bud Davis put the Buffs back in gold jerseys in 1962 after Grandelius was let go for allegedly paying players. Eddie Crowder brought back the black jerseys in 1963. We had black jerseys and gold pants at home and white jerseys and gold pants on the road with Eddie. Then Fairbanks and a regent thought powder blue would match the blue sky of Colorado. Yuck!! Coach Mac brought back the black jerseys for the second time somewhere around '84, '85 or '86. I can't remember for sure. Coach Mac also started using black pants with white jerseys on the road. That is a great looking uniform. Black has evolved into an unofficial "sport color" at Colorado. I think the STUPID all white on the road started with Barnett. Supposedly a number of players like the all white. It is a damned abomination!! Embree has said NO to the all white on the road. GOOD FOR HIM!!!
I will be fine with black on gold at home with black on black every once in a while and white on black or white on gold or even silver on the road. I'll also like to see a true gold for the pants instead of the pee-like yellow. Here are the road and home under Eddie.

CU%20vs_%20Ohio%20State%26%233.jpgbuffalo Greg facebook.jpg

I'm all for black and gold, but I can name at least 20 CU all-Americans that did'nt wear it.

You realize that things weren't actually black and white before 1950, right? It was just that most cameras hadn't advanced to a color capability yet.

For the love of God, tell me you're joking. Nike is the little ****tard kid who you cannot let out of your sight when it comes to uniforms. Miami and Oregon left the little kid unsupervised. No thanks.

Oh, and I'll take Barnett's black and gold at home, white and black on the road. I don't even want stripes on the sleeves. Those were the cleanest looks the Buffs have ever had. Keep the white/white, and black/black on the shelf.

I don't think some of the answers he gave were knee jerk reactions to the questions. I think J E has been doing some serious thinking about "what he would do" if he were the HC for a long time.

I'm all for black and gold, but I can name at least 20 CU all-Americans that did'nt wear it.

Curious who they would be. Assuming black and gold essentially became the colors in the mid-1960s everyone from Dick Anderson to the present would fall under that combo (no Buff AA during the Fairbanks abomination and the transition powder blue year with Mac). That would leave Byron White, Don Branby, John Bayuk, Bob Stransky, John Wooten, Joe Romig and Jerry Hillebrand.

So you are right about the 100% and I stand corrected. More like 88%.

Nice photos. So the Buffs have played at the Horseshoe in the past. Next year will be nothing new. Check out the major crown on that field. From one sideline, you could barely see the other teams knees.

I see the uniforms generated a number of comments. The school colors are silver and gold. The Buffs had gold jerseys and silver pants for a long time. I think Dal Ward often had the Buffs in gold jerseys and gold pants at home. I believe the black jerseys were first used by Sonny Grandelius in 1959. They had black jerseys on silver pants with silver helmets. Grandelius wanted a contrast when analyzing film. The Buffs gold jerseys were hard to differentiate from visiting white jerseys on film. Bud Davis put the Buffs back in gold jerseys in 1962 after Grandelius was let go for allegedly paying players. Eddie Crowder brought back the black jerseys in 1963. We had black jerseys and gold pants at home and white jerseys and gold pants on the road with Eddie. Then Fairbanks and a regent thought powder blue would match the blue sky of Colorado. Yuck!! Coach Mac brought back the black jerseys for the second time somewhere around '84, '85 or '86. I can't remember for sure. Coach Mac also started using black pants with white jerseys on the road. That is a great looking uniform. Black has evolved into an unofficial "sport color" at Colorado. I think the STUPID all white on the road started with Barnett. Supposedly a number of players like the all white. It is a damned abomination!! Embree has said NO to the all white on the road. GOOD FOR HIM!!!
I will be fine with black on gold at home with black on black every once in a while and white on black or white on gold or even silver on the road. I'll also like to see a true gold for the pants instead of the pee-like yellow. Here are the road and home under Eddie.

View attachment 6023View attachment 6024

Nice photos. So the Buffs have played at the Horseshoe in the past. Next year will be nothing new. Check out the major crown on that field. From one sideline, you could barely see the other teams knees.

Yes, that photo was 1971 when the Buffs beat a highly ranked Ohio State 20-14. We went on to 10-2 and #3 in the nation that year.
And speaking of crowns, Oklahoma's crown was so high you could barely see heads across the field.:smile2: They wanted their backs running downhill all the time in the wishbone.

u

barnet unis were the best. the fancy numbers, "rodeo piping", and shoulder pad graphics are gay as hell. it's like, we need to draw more attention to our shoulders because we're so weak! we need italic, outlined jersey digits to look fast and flashy, cause we're slow and we're out of the spotlight! Just embarrassing. Fortunately, we will never see them again. I imagine we will see great unis from JE and EB. I agree w/ the above anti-Nike comments, the Nike designers are out of control. Their stuff is bizar.

I really hope these guys can pull off even one big-time RB recruit this year so we can get back to Colorado football. EB needs to score a 210 4-star guy who wants to run it up the gut.

"If it's alllll white, it's allll right!!" (Chris Rock)

barnet unis were the best. the fancy numbers, "rodeo piping", and shoulder pad graphics are gay as hell. it's like, we need to draw more attention to our shoulders because we're so weak! we need italic, outlined jersey digits to look fast and flashy, cause we're slow and we're out of the spotlight! Just embarrassing. Fortunately, we will never see them again. I imagine we will see great unis from JE and EB. I agree w/ the above anti-Nike comments, the Nike designers are out of control. Their stuff is bizar.

the fall from the Mac era unis coincided with CU being one of the first Nike schools. see the experimentation and yearly changes under the Weasel. the LED numbers, etc. Barney reigned it in....going back to simple, clean. and then Hawk let Nike drop a deuce on us...with the worst home unis ever which managed to be both ugly and uninteresting. the silver numerals, maxi-pad shoulders and the geometry play-time on the pant were colossal failures. nice idea to get silver in the mix, but crap in execution and probably not necessary....though, the hoops home threads work for me.

Last edited:
Back