What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Embree to make cuts after Spring

So how does this affect our graduation and academic situations? Does this help with grades (rpi? I know thats not right) because we cut slackers off of the roles? Do their grades still count?

APR? It'll be ****** if Embo cuts students especially those who are in good academic standing. I hope this is just a ploy from him to fire up the underachievers. Last thing we need is kids getting "cut" because they didn't perform on the field. Student athletes are already getting shafted by money grubbing NCAA and univ admin, the coaches need to be players' advocate.

Jesus you act like cutting players is some big bad thing. It happens. If Embree made it clear what his expectations are, and people aren't meeting them, they deserve to be cut.

I didn't have any issues when Jeff Bzdelik did it when he came to CU. You have to cut the cancer out before it spreads. jmho.

"I won't put it on a position coach. I will explain to them why," Embree added. "They have been warned many times. There are no surprises. I told everyone from day one, everyone is year to year. It is simple.

"I don't ask a lot. I want effort, I want you to compete, I want you to do it on and off the field and I want you to be on time. That is basically all I ask. And I think those are pretty simple rules but for some guys they can't do that."

http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1209404

I didn't have any issues when Jeff Bzdelik did it when he came to CU. You have to cut the cancer out before it spreads. jmho.

I am just going by past memory. Lot of us were cheering Hawkins when he ran off all the Barnett players when he got here. Then for the past 5 years it was about rebuilding. I think we need to work with what we got.

I am just going by past memory. Lot of us were cheering Hawkins when he ran off all the Barnett players when he got here. Then for the past 5 years it was about rebuilding. I think we need to work with what we got.
This is a major rebuilding project either way.

so, with Bz it was a cancer or guys that couldn't play at the level? that high level of last in the conference that Bz led us to, twice. even though 1 of those guys was on a Cornell roster that made the Sweet 16 and another avg'd double figures at NIU while CU endured it's worst seasons in my lifetime without any paint presence whatsoever. i don't get the Bzdelik "love" around here....

anyway, i don't like taking a kid's education away...."one year contract" or not justification.

Running off Silas and Veal certainly helped, didn't it? Yeah, cutting dead weight may be good. But be careful what you wish for, so to speak.

so, with Bz it was a cancer or guys that couldn't play at the level? that high level of last in the conference that Bz led us to, twice. even though 1 of those guys was on a Cornell roster that made the Sweet 16 and another avg'd double figures at NIU while CU endured it's worst seasons in my lifetime without any paint presence whatsoever. i don't get the Bzdelik "love" around here....

anyway, i don't like taking a kid's education away...."one year contract" or not justification.

I say both. Silas was a cancer.

Caleb Patterson? Marc Van Burke? James Inge? I have a hard time seeing those guys making a difference. I was upset to see Jeremy Williams leave, but Bz wanted him to stay.

Sorry about the threadjack. :smile2:

Embree made it clear that at least some of his decision is based on who is not making the commitment off the field including in the classroom. The guys who aren't getting it done in the classroom would hurt our graduation rate either way, might as well use them as examples to show that this staff is serious about making the commitment.

The schollies are not a four year schollie, they are one year commitments renewable up to the end of eligibility. If a guy is meeting all expectations but just isn't good enough then it is a negative to cut him and I don't think Embree is talking about cutting those guys. If a guy just isn't earning his schollie because he isn't working at his responsibilities then that sets a negative tone to the team and with adequete notice and offers to assist he isn't getting it done then he is fair game.

Eckloff in basketball is an example of a guy doing it in the classroom, shows up for practice, is positive around the team, but just hasn't developed into a good enough player to be a solid contributor. He doesn't get, nor should he get cut.

Running off Silas and Veal certainly helped, didn't it? Yeah, cutting dead weight may be good. But be careful what you wish for, so to speak.
He ran off Veal? That's news to me.

Silas was a good player, but he definitely lacked in other areas. jmho.

A football thread got jacked for a basketball discussion.

[video=youtube;lbNidYYGjic]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbNidYYGjic&feature[/video]

I say both. Silas was a cancer.

Caleb Patterson? Marc Van Burke? James Inge? I have a hard time seeing those guys making a difference. I was upset to see Jeremy Williams leave, but Bz wanted him to stay.

Sorry about the threadjack. :smile2:

i believe Van Burke could have made us a better team in both of Bzdelic's last place Colorado teams--as terrible as we were in the paint. the red light was "on" with Patterson when OSU, Tulsa, and OU didn't offer a kid from small-town OK. Ricardo screwed us there.

Whatever. This thread has spun out of EFFING CONTROL! We need to focus here, men!

**** it! TIme to let the chips fall where they may. Embo is going to run this his way. If the kids cannot adapt and still living in the Hawk Nest, time to cut them loose. Not like they have not been given the message for several months.

Scholarships are 1-year contracts. He can decide that he won't renew some people at the end of the semester. It's pretty common at other programs for guys who aren't cutting it.

They do it at Texas all the time. They cut 2 or 3 people last year. I think its just a little weird for some people here because CU hasn't really done it in the past.

Seems to me that if he's going to go down this road, why wait until after the spring game? Their probably not going to sniff the field anyway.

Seems to me that if he's going to go down this road, why wait until after the spring game? Their probably not going to sniff the field anyway.

I'm guessing there are some guys that are on the fence right now, that may have one last shot and might just make that right decision after getting this scary announcement.

Last edited:

My interpretation of what I've read is if you're going to do this - cut players - there is a right way and bs way. Embree seems to be doing it the right way. It's not about whether you are going to see the field. It's about whether or not you've bought into the program. As a result, I assume the staff has made clear to players that they had from Dec. 7 to the end of spring ball to demonstrate that they intended to hold up their end of the scholarship deal - on the field and off. It sounds as if players have had this spelled out for them, some in great detail and numerous times. So, players were given an ultimatum and a date on which decisions would be made, and the staff is sticking to it.

Lets remember they are students first. I believe around 20 of them have a 2.00 or less gpa. This might also be academic related. If the kid is flunking out of class, he can't be on the field which in turn is not helping the team.

Sounds like you better buckle up the academics along with being a football player.

Back