What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Embree

I wouldn't want Carrol anywhere near CU. We don't need another scandal that would eventually ensue if he was the coach. We need a proven DC from a top flight BCS program.

Scandals are a dime a dozen these days. Even the U's cheating has fallen off the noteriety map.

If Pete Carroll brought us back to the top25 I'd take USC level sanctions any damn day. All day every day. I'd wear those sanctions like a badge of honor, all over my garb and on a pin I'd put next to my tie at work. I'd shout to the world about the 9-3 season we had and all the money we bought recruits with. I'd make love to those sanctions on a rainbow while riding a unicorn.

We are staring down the barrel of 10 straight losing seasons. 10!

Last edited:
How the hell are we going to get Pete Carroll? Pretty sure he has a job in Seattle that is paying him quite well..

Embo will never fire EB. No way, no how. Too bad. Because EB SUCKS DONKEY DICKS!!!! HE CANNOT COORDINATE A YMCA OFFENSE!!!!!

This is the problem, I now realize, with bringing in former players whom everyone loves to try to turn a **** program around. Those former players that we all love are now on everyone's **** list. And that is too bad. I hate ripping Embo and EB. But I have no choice. Embo is totally lost if his pressers after the game are any indication. Anyone heard from EB? Didn't think so.

How the hell are we going to get Pete Carroll? Pretty sure he has a job in Seattle that is paying him quite well..

NFL recycles coaches every few years, and Seattle has no history of success whatsoever. Hoping the stars align that Carroll is avail when our staff is jettisoned. Considering the **** I watch every saturday, I'm entitled to a little hope.

Does anyone think this current administration would ever sign off on a coach who exited under NCAA scrutiny? No way. No how. Our current admin is still reacting to The Scandal. They do not want any part of any coach with any taint to his reputation.

Don't want Pete Carroll and he isn't coming here anyways. If he returns to college he is going someplace where he can make a big score quickly, not rebuild a program that has been down for at least a decade and a half. He isn't a young man anymore.

In the end I think that McElwain like so many others is going to fail in Ft. Collins. They just don't have the resources to compete. That said he is what we need to be looking for. An established coordinator with a winning program who has coached a variety of positions under successful HCs. I don't want the young wonder kid either who is looking for a stepping stone. Bring in somebody who has paid his dues will likely finish out his career here if it works out.

Even better if that guy has already gotten his feet wet by winning some games as a HC in the MAC or some other lower league but not mandatory.

All that said we have at least 1-2 more seasons with Embree no matter what happens this year. For his failings Embree is a smart, competitive guy who strongly cares about this university and this team. I'm not ready to write him off entirely. Ideally he fires Marshall and Brookhart at the end of this season and replaces them.

Have at least one of the replacements be a guy who has experienced success at the college level and can coach Embree on the changes he needs to make to succeed. Those kinds of guys are out there. They are close enough to the end of the career that they don't want to fight the battles to get a HC job but know what it takes to win. If Embree will find one of those guys and listen to him this situation can be saved.

He would be a great choice but he doesn't really have West Coast ties. Plus, I see him holding out for an SEC gig

I hear you. He's a Georgia boy and has pretty much stuck around the south. However, Mac had no ties to CU and Smart would jump at PAC12 money and IF the facilities are being upgraded. He may not stay after some success and jump to an SEC opportunity but he would come to CU for his first HC gig.

I hear you. He's a Georgia boy and has pretty much stuck around the south. However, Mac had no ties to CU and Smart would jump at PAC12 money and IF the facilities are being upgraded. He may not stay after some success and jump to an SEC opportunity but he would come to CU for his first HC gig.

Assuming for a moment this staff actually gets canned (which I doubt short of a 1 win season), there are usually at least a dozen BCS openings every year and CU will likely not be at the top of anyone's list.

What do we have to offer? Recent success? Nope. Supportive administration? Nope. Facilities and big budgets for recruiting? Nope. Multi-year contracts to attract top assistants? Nope. Big time booster support? Nope.

I'm now one who believes Embree is a great alum but not a great coach, but I don't see who would come to the rescue here so I'm left to hope Embree proves everyone wrong and turns this around. But at this point it seems more likely we are becoming a basketball school.

Assuming for a moment this staff actually gets canned (which I doubt short of a 1 win season), there are usually at least a dozen BCS openings every year and CU will likely not be at the top of anyone's list.

What do we have to offer? Recent success? Nope. Supportive administration? Nope. Facilities and big budgets for recruiting? Nope. Multi-year contracts to attract top assistants? Nope. Big time booster support? Nope.

I'm now one who believes Embree is a great alum but not a great coach, but I don't see who would come to the rescue here so I'm left to hope Embree proves everyone wrong and turns this around. But at this point it seems more likely we are becoming a basketball school.
$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$

That may be true, but CU still has quite a bit to offer. Large enrollment, above average academics, great campus lifestyle/location, history (although not recent) etc.

Plus, I'd like to think if Vanderbilt, Iowa State etc can draw a good hire, there's no reason to think we can't either. It just starts with an administration making hires for all the wrong reasons

$$$$$$$$$$$$

How much money do you think we really have? We negotiated Embree's cheap contract knowing we were about to reap the PAC 12 money, so what has changed? Who in this administration is going to greenlight $4million for a coach? We can't even raise facility funds properly when it's badly needed and seems to have universal fan and booster support.

There would need to be tangible movement on facilities. No more "an announcement to make an announcement" nonsense. We would definitely need to shell out money for both the head coach and his assistants. The multi-year contracts issue is a problem, but can be somewhat alleviated with higher pay and giving one of the multi-year contracts to a coordinator. Does it sound way too hopeful right now? No doubt. Is it completely out of the question? No (or at least I hope not).

How much money do you think we really have? We negotiated Embree's cheap contract knowing we were about to reap the PAC 12 money, so what has changed? Who in this administration is going to greenlight $4million for a coach? We can't even raise facility funds properly when it's badly needed and seems to have universal fan and booster support.

We can easily be in the $1.5-2 million range, assuming he has the resume

We are not going to pay $4 million for the next head coach. The hope would be that the administration is willing to pay $1.7-$2.0 million range. That is a salary that should be attractive to experienced BCS coordinators.

That may be true, but CU still has quite a bit to offer. Large enrollment, above average academics, great campus lifestyle/location, history (although not recent) etc.

Plus, I'd like to think if Vanderbilt, Iowa State etc can draw a good hire, there's no reason to think we can't either. It just starts with an administration making hires for all the wrong reasons

That's all well and good for attracting undergrads, but a pretty campus is pretty far down the list for most blue chip recruits. And the academic angle may have played well when we were in the Big 12, but we're middle of the PAC 12 academically.

If our goal is to be Iowa St or Vandy then I guess we're not in such bad shape, but I hope we have higher aspirations than that.

We are not going to pay $4 million for the next head coach. The hope would be that the administration is willing to pay $1.7-$2.0 million range. That is a salary that should be attractive to experienced BCS coordinators.

I agree, this was directed more at the folks making the case for someone like Pete Carroll...not happening. A top BCS coordinator should probably be our goal, but we'd probably have lots of competition.

If we announce a facility expansion/renovation the caliber of candidates we can attract is vastly better. Especially if it will be ready early in the coaches' tenure

I get a very strong impression that the money would be there if they asked for it.

We have bunches of frustrated alumni and non-alumni who would gladly donate dollars if they were 1. asked to donate money and 2. given something to to indicate that the money would be used in an honest effort to win. Many of these donors wouldn't be "big money" donors but would give enough that together with others like them a significant amount of money would be collected. Others are mid-level donors and I'm certain that a few out there have the means to individually make donations at a level that could be game changers.

The trouble is that these people aren't going to donate to a program that thinks mediocre is the target. They aren't going to give money without having reason to believe that the money is going towards real winning.

Why the school isn't willing to ask for the money and why the school isn't willing to make the commitment to having a quality program is another issue. I have to wonder if some of the "academic elitist" and athletic haters aren't pulling some of the strings. We keep hearing below the surface that the administration keeps talking about "completing higher priority projects" before commiting to athletics.

The fallacy with this is the idea that it is an either or proposition. They can't see past their own agendas to realize that the success that comes with athletic excellence at most schools results in much higher donations to non-athletic priorities as well.

It just gets my blood pressure up to think that they might be willingly choosing to be bad to the detriment of not only athletics but to the school overall.

If CSU can get the Bama OC, we can certainly get the Bama DC assuming he doesn't have a better offer from down south.

While talks of the next head coach are preemptive, it gives me some calm knowing there are some decent candidates out there. Doug Nussmeier is someone that intrigues me. Justin Wilcox is also sounding pretty good, although he has some Boise to him resume, which I'm sure scares people.

Our problem is not HC salary. It's that the ****ing TABOR amendment does not let us sign assistants to more than a one year, year by year contract.

Our problem is not HC salary. It's that the ****ing TABOR amendment does not let us sign assistants to more than a one year, year by year contract.

Make no mistake, HC salary is an issue. We have not paid market value for a HC in almost a decade now. As far as the multi-year contracts issue, I am sure it hurts us, but all it means is assistants need to be paid more to somewhat offset it. Plus we need to continue to use a multi-year contract on at least one coordinator.

If CSU can get the Bama OC, we can certainly get the Bama DC assuming he doesn't have a better offer from down south.

While talks of the next head coach are preemptive, it gives me some calm knowing there are some decent candidates out there. Doug Nussmeier is someone that intrigues me. Justin Wilcox is also sounding pretty good, although he has some Boise to him resume, which I'm sure scares people.

Sparkles is originally from Montana so he had no allegiance to the south.

Sparkles is originally from Montana so he had no allegiance to the south.

Unless Kirby Smart has some extreme desire to not leave the southeast that I'm unaware of, he's definitely within our grasp. Coordinators want a shot at the big time. Look at where Malzahn ended up. McElwain is at ****ing CSU. Charlie Strong had to go to Lousville. Steve Sarkisian was one of the hottest coordinators around and he decided to roll up and resurrect UW. We can totally get someone like Kirby Smart.

What we can't get is a proven BCS coach. Unless we want one with serious baggage (Tressel, Petrino). It's not like those are just floating around waiting for us to give them a shot.

Back