What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Embree's post game comments

I am not comparing recruiting this year with last year or the previous two. This is Embree's first real class as the head coach, and if you look at recent history, even Hawkins was able to provide a significant improvement from the transition class of 2006 (9th in PAC12) to his first class of 2007 (4th on PAC12). Embree has to do the same, the talent level cannot continue to decline like it has the last three years. Right now an "improvement" from 12th (2011) to 11th isn't going to do it.

And are we supposed to be encouraged by the 4th quarter collapses? Thankful that they weren't blown out by teams of similar talent? The Buffs are the most penalized team in FBS and have collectively the worst special teams. The offense can't run, score points in the 1st quarter, and the defense continues to give up huge plays at the most critical times. Does anyone really consider that better coaching than we had before?

Do you remember Hawkins' first year? Montana State by chance?

I am not comparing recruiting this year with last year or the previous two. This is Embree's first real class as the head coach, and if you look at recent history, even Hawkins was able to provide a significant improvement from the transition class of 2006 (9th in PAC12) to his first class of 2007 (4th on PAC12). Embree has to do the same, the talent level cannot continue to decline like it has the last three years. Right now an "improvement" from 12th (2011) to 11th isn't going to do it.

And are we supposed to be encouraged by the 4th quarter collapses? Thankful that they weren't blown out by teams of similar talent? The Buffs are the most penalized team in FBS and have collectively the worst special teams. The offense can't run, score points in the 1st quarter, and the defense continues to give up huge plays at the most critical times. Does anyone really consider that better coaching than we had before?

It's way too early to compare Embree to Hawkins. If you're going to compare, how do Hawkins' first five games stack up against the first five for Embree? Montana State anyone? As for recruiting, it's still too early to judge this class. Also, keep in mind that CU had been relatively successful (not great, but good) in the years leading up to Hawkins being hired, which isn't the case now. CU hasn't been relevant for a while, which can't help with recruiting. I still think they'll land some big fish, but only time will tell.

thanks for the link, this is funny:

pactrail21.gif

Takes me back to 1980...5th grade. Oregon Trail on a cassette.

I haven't read all of the thread. All I can say is I loved Embree's comments, and the more I hear them the more I totally agree with him. He is the anti-Hawkins and he has preached that he wants more emotion and fire from his players. What better way than to lead by example. As for calling out the players, a reporter tried to bait him and he said no comment on individual players. If you are too soft to deal with his comments then too bad.

I've been thinking about it. Lots of good points here. I don't believe there is any right or wrong way for a coach to react. I'd say most of us didn't like Hawkin's "golly gee" style, for sure. But getting emotional isn't altogether a bad thing. OTOH, the players are pretty down and need some positive feedback. All in all, I don't think Jon's post game rant was all that bad. He just has to be careful not to make one of those "Gundy" or "Hawkins" You Tube moments. I also agree that he needs to be calm on the sideline. I once had a foreman, in my carpenter days, who did nothing but yell at me and others all day. I could not perform under those conditions. I was a nervous wreck.

Rather have him get mad than say that we played a really good game and all we needed was a few more bounces here or there or if we clean a few things up we are freaking national champions.

Back