What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

End of OOC comparison; CU Men vs CU Women

buff190

Club Member
Club Member
Both had very good OOC seasons and are primed for top 4 finishes in the PAC and NCAA Tourney appearances. But let's compare a little...

***Best Player or MVP for their team...Nominees I would say would be...
Women
Jeffery - 12.2 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 47/28 A/T
Roberson - 15.7 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 11/32 A/T
Men
Roberson - 12.1 ppg, 12.1 rpg, 23/26 A/T
Dinwiddie - 14.4 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 33/30 A/T

- In a close call I give this one to the Womens teams, Chuckie Jeffery. She is an invaluable leader and scorer for the Womens team. She does everything. Rebounds, assists, scores and plays great D. Also, her experience and skill at the PG position has been, well, most valuable. Her A/T ratio is the best on both teams.

***Best Bench - Men (XJ, Eli, XT, SHT, Adams), Women (Kresl, Reese, Swan, Weston, A-Wil, MMP)
- as of right now I would have to give this to the Womens Bench. It is deeper for one thing. Reese is that solid scorer you need off the bench and Kresl, when on and she has been lately can also give the team a boost. Wilson and Weston can come in and play lock down D when needed. Swan is a little awkward right now but shows flashes kind of like XJ. And of course the Senior experience in MMP is invaluable.

***Starting lineup - Men (Andre, Booker, Dinwiddie, Scott, Chen), Women (Jeffery, B-Wil, Arielle, Sborov, Hargis)
- I give this one to the Mens team. Both teams play incredible defense but from top to bottom the men have more reliable scorers. I just think that in the starting 5 the women have a few more weaknesses which really makes their bench that much more valuable.

What's fun about this for me is that I am comparing two really good teams at CU and that these, in my mind, were all really tough choices. I am no where near a Basketball expert so I would like to hear some of our resident experts opinions on these or any other other catagories.

Women definitely have the better bench.

Relatively speaking, Chucky is the best player in CU basketball right now. Makes a difference that she's a senior.

The Men's team has a stronger starting 5.

You pretty much nailed it.

You did pretty much nail it. I think Ashley Wilson just might get more minutes since her knee has been scoped. She is no longer playing with so pain. That limited her minutes. That kid knows only one speed: go all out while on the court. The Wilson twins are both willing to sacrifice their body for the team.

Nice little comparison, but compare skeds, too.

I think the men have played a far better schedule of teams than the women.

For that reason, I'll go with Dre easily over Chucky as the best CU BB player right now.

Nice little comparison, but compare skeds, too.

I think the men have played a far better schedule of teams than the women.

For that reason, I'll go with Dre easily over Chucky as the best CU BB player right now.

I don't even think Dre is the best player on his own team right now. And honestly, until the men beat a top10 team, it's hard to tout their superior schedule. That said, I'm just glad both teams look to be in good positions to make runs at the tourney.

Lappe versus Boyle?

I'm leaning towards Linda based on the lack of preparedness shown in Lawrence by the men's team.

Lappe versus Boyle?

I'm leaning towards Linda based on the lack of preparedness shown in Lawrence by the men's team.

I feel strongly that you're leaning the wrong way. Linda has the potential to reach greatness, but she's very young and still learning her way a bit. Potential is certainly there and she's ahead of where I though she'd be by quite a bit, but Tad's a couple levels above her in the coaching hierarchy. Not a knock on Linda, more of a compliment of Tad.

P.S. The thing about the WBB coaching job that's impressed me the most this season is that Linda had an assistant leave for a HC job and she didn't miss a beat. That says a lot of good things about her and her organization.

I feel strongly that you're leaning the wrong way. Linda has the potential to reach greatness, but she's very young and still learning her way a bit. Potential is certainly there and she's ahead of where I though she'd be by quite a bit, but Tad's a couple levels above her in the coaching hierarchy. Not a knock on Linda, more of a compliment of Tad.

When judging based upon only the results of the OOC, Lappe took care of business on the road in Illinois and stunned the world against Louisville in the keg. You can't get better than undefeated, winning decisively and knocking down free throws.

Boyle looked great in the Charleston tourney upsetting Baylor and Murray State. But that Texas Southern game was too close for comfort. Roadies at Wyoming and KU were expected to be tough, and CU (and a gimpy Dinwoodie) looked unprepared and resigned to defeat.

I agree that when looking at the big picture Boyle is the hotter coach (no homo), but Lappe has been the bigger surprise during the OOC.

The conference openers against Arizona (men) and Stanford (women) will further fuel the debate. This is a good problem to have.

Lappe versus Boyle?

This would be the toughest question of all. Both have been really, really good but I would agree with Skid here for the very reasons he mentioned in post #8. The road wins, beating the Top 10 team as well as dominating the other teams that they should dominate.

The conference schedule will show more of course but up to this point, I think Lappe would get my vote.

I have to admit I was less than excited with both of these hires. Now I am beside myself with excitement for the future of both programs!

P.S. The thing about the WBB coaching job that's impressed me the most this season is that Linda had an assistant leave for a HC job and she didn't miss a beat. That says a lot of good things about her and her organization.

I was very concerned when the assistant left. We will know the effect it had when next year's recruits start playing as the assistant that left was in charge of recruiting.

On the court, no, Lappe hasn't missed a beat. It's just a different person on the bench. Those kids believe in Lappe. That makes a big difference. I doubt many of the players believed in KMM. It showed on the court and every where else around the program.

Bohn got himself a good hire without having to pay the big salary in Lappe.

T

I have to admit I was less than excited with both of these hires. Now I am beside myself with excitement for the future of both programs!

Another one who was not excited with these hires, especially Lappe since her head coaching experience was at the DII level and the teams where she had been an assistant in DI weren't exactly great teams in the world of women's basketball.

I was very concerned when the assistant left. We will know the effect it had when next year's recruits start playing as the assistant that left was in charge of recruiting.

On the court, no, Lappe hasn't missed a beat. It's just a different person on the bench. Those kids believe in Lappe. That makes a big difference. I doubt many of the players believed in KMM. It showed on the court and every where else around the program.

Bohn got himself a good hire without having to pay the big salary in Lappe.

Yep. Maybe it will show up in recruiting. Of course, just about anyone can recruit to a Top 25 program with a HC who is now established -- so it might not matter. Quite a lot different than recruiting to a mediocre WNIT regular with a young HC no one had ever heard of.

Let's compare apples vs oranges. I prefer oranges. Kind of a pain to peel but they taste better.

Adams apples and sweater oranges?

I met her in a club down in old Soho
Where you drink champagne and it tastes just like cherry-cola
C-o-l-a cola
She walked up to me and she asked me to dance
I asked her her name and in a dark brown voice she said Lola
L-o-l-a Lola lo-lo-lo-lo Lola

Well I'm not the worlds most physical guy
But when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine
Oh my Lola lo-lo-lo-lo Lola
Well I'm not dumb but I can't understand
Why she walked like a woman and talked like a man
Oh my Lola lo-lo-lo-lo Lola lo-lo-lo-lo Lola

Well we drank champagne and danced all night
Under electric candlelight
She picked me up and sat me on her knee
And said dear boy wont you come home with me
Well I'm not the worlds most passionate guy
But when I looked in her eyes well I almost fell for my Lola
Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola lo-lo-lo-lo Lola
Lola lo-lo-lo-lo Lola lo-lo-lo-lo Lola

I pushed her away
I walked to the door
I fell to the floor
I got down on my knees
Then I looked at her and she at me

Well that's the way that I want it to stay
And I always want it to be that way for my Lola
Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola
Girls will be boys and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola
Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola

Well I left home just a week before
And I'd never ever kissed a woman before
But Lola smiled and took me by the hand
And said dear boy I'm gonna make you a man

Well I'm not the worlds most masculine man
But I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man
And so is Lola
Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola lo-lo-lo-lo Lola
Lola lo-lo-lo-lo Lola lo-lo-lo-lo Lola

I lean towards Chuckie as the POY at this point.

Also, the women have the marquee win over Louisville. The men have played the tougher schedule overall, but don't have an individual win that comes remotely close to matching the WBB victory over Louisville. The only chance the men have to one-up that is beating Arizona, and regardless of what the rankings may say at the moment, I'm not convinced even that would out-do the victory over Louisville unless the men were able to win in Tucson.

Yep. Maybe it will show up in recruiting. Of course, just about anyone can recruit to a Top 25 program with a HC who is now established -- so it might not matter. Quite a lot different than recruiting to a mediocre WNIT regular with a young HC no one had ever heard of.

Very true. She managed to bring in Arielle Roberson who did have a CU connection, Jen Reese, Jasmine Sborov, Lexy Kresl last year and Ky Weston, Jamee Swan and Ky Weston this season. This year's class was ranked 27th in the nation. The true freshmen are coming along nicely and we know what kind of player Arielle Roberson is proving herself to be! Double figures in every gave of her career so far! No CU women's basketball player has ever done that.

These kids are focused and truly believe in themselves. That is half the battle. Basketball is both a physical and a mental game. CU teams prior to Linda becoming coach were so used to mediocrity, that they weren't surprised if they didn't go to post-season play. Linda is returning CU to the kind of program it used to be. I hope we keep her a long time and we get back to being a top ten team year in and year out. Butts in the seats.

Back