What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

End of season Press Conference

I actually thought TACKLING got worse this year over 2013. We actually had guys in position to make the tackles more often than I've seen in a long time. And they just didn't.

So, with our defense being more experienced and improving, Baer and his defense should NOT be giving up 38 points or more to every pac team we play correct? Fine he gets 2015 to show improvement but if we get the same a change needs to be made. If you cant recruit you better be coaching up the talent you do have.

We give him 2015, the results better damn well change. I'm tired of all this don't be physical in practice crap too. Guys that got hurt, with my experience in football, were not prepared to be hit. I know concussions but this game is physical as well as mental, don't take that away from what you do. Go full speed, all the time.

We give him 2015, the results better damn well change. I'm tired of all this don't be physical in practice crap too. Guys that got hurt, with my experience in football, were not prepared to be hit. I know concussions but this game is physical as well as mental, don't take that away from what you do. Go full speed, all the time.

Who is saying they tell the players to not be physical in practice?

It just seems like the culture these days. Maybe I'm over stepping my bounds, I haven't seen a practice, I apologize. It just reminds me of something I say to my son every morning he's here. I don't ask about breakfast or anything. I say all in or all out? Be 100% all the time, go get yours. I want the best for us, I truly do. I just don't think Baer is the answer. Tini I'm not calling out anyone, it's just how I feel and experienced.

Well they need to take it to the game. I'm not arguing with you just discussing. We should do hitting drills alot. Kinda helps when that's what ur gonna have to do.

So, with our defense being more experienced and improving, Baer and his defense should NOT be giving up 38 points or more to every pac team we play correct? Fine he gets 2015 to show improvement but if we get the same a change needs to be made. If you cant recruit you better be coaching up the talent you do have.
agree. Next year we need to improve in three areas defensively. 1 more take aways 2. 3rd down stops to get off the fields and 3. Reduce the gashing long runs. If we improve there we will be fine if not Baer should be replaced.

agree. Next year we need to improve in three areas defensively. 1 more take aways 2. 3rd down stops to get off the fields and 3. Reduce the gashing long runs. If we improve there we will be fine if not Baer should be replaced.
I would add if we could substantially upgrade any staff position without messing up the chemistry we should take that chance. For example if we could get Orgeron as a dc we should. My point is that Baer may not be bad and dc is too important to shake things up unless there is a big upside. Baer and Neinas have not necessarily been bad. Certainly not bad enough to fire. Neinas (and maybe a few other coaches, special team blunders and lack of game changing plays have been more obvious) appears from the outside to be average and could be upgraded with better recruiter or coach or both. Baer is harder to read and would be a riskier shake up to the staff.

I would add if we could substantially upgrade any staff position without messing up the chemistry we should take that chance. For example if we could get Orgeron as a dc we should. My point is that Baer may not be bad and dc is too important to shake things up unless there is a big upside. Baer and Neinas have not necessarily been bad. Certainly not bad enough to fire. Neinas (and maybe a few other coaches, special team blunders and lack of game changing plays have been more obvious) appears from the outside to be average and could be upgraded with better recruiter or coach or both. Baer is harder to read and would be a riskier shake up to the staff.

Why? Afraid to lose the momentum of a two win season?

Why? Afraid to lose the momentum of a two win season?
Why? Because I think in general this staff is good and they are on the verge of climbing out of this hole. There are many signs we are improving and headed for good things. I would hate to blow up the staff just before they get it going. Changing the coordinator is close enough to blowing up the staff to warrant moving cautiously.

Pac-12 (only) rule on full contact

B. Definition of "Full-Contact"-The Pac-12 will define "full contact" as any live tackling, live tackling drills, scrimmages or other activities where players are generally taken to the ground. "Full contact" shall not include "thud" sessions or drills that involve "wrapping up" where players are not taken to the ground and contact is not aggressive in nature.

C. Fall / In-Season Practices-Pac-12 institutions shall only have two (2) full-contact practices per week during the football regular season ("regular season" being defined as the period between the first regular season game and the last regular season game or Pac-12 Champion-ship Game (for participating institutions).

D. Preseason Practices-For days in which Pac-12 institutions schedule a two-a-day practice, full-contact shall only be allowed in one practice (the other practice is limited to helmets and shoulder pads). If full-contact practices are scheduled consecutively around one of the two-a-day full-contact practices, only one of those practices shall be more than 50% full-contact. By way of example, if a morning session of a two-a-day practice is full-contact, that morning session practice or the preceding one-a-day practice would be limited to no more than 50% full-contact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Changing a coordinator is blowing up a staff? Come on!
Maybe not if the new coordinator runs a similar defense with mmac providing continuity. But I am not sure Baer is that bad and replacing the DC is a pretty big deal that could go either way. Giving Baer another year seams reasonable. Who do you think would have done a better job coaching our d last year?

Maybe not if the new coordinator runs a similar defense with mmac providing continuity. But I am not sure Baer is that bad and replacing the DC is a pretty big deal that could go either way. Giving Baer another year seams reasonable. Who do you think would have done a better job coaching our d last year?

First, I want to say that I'm glad we have differing opinions on the board. Stick to your guns.

Second, I want to say that I disagree with you. The defense did not perform. There are a lot of reasons why it justifiably struggled this season, but good coordination can overcome challenges to at least show improvement from a bad 2013 defense that didn't lose much of anything to graduation. Lindgren had a ton of challenges on offense but he overcame them. The biggest complaint I had about the defense in regard to Baer is that LBs are his position group and they looked lost out there way too often this season.

First, I want to say that I'm glad we have differing opinions on the board. Stick to your guns.

Second, I want to say that I disagree with you. The defense did not perform. There are a lot of reasons why it justifiably struggled this season, but good coordination can overcome challenges to at least show improvement from a bad 2013 defense that didn't lose much of anything to graduation. Lindgren had a ton of challenges on offense but he overcame them. The biggest complaint I had about the defense in regard to Baer is that LBs are his position group and they looked lost out there way too often this season.

It did seem that on many of the big runs we gave up occurred with a LB filling what appears to be the wrong gap and leaving a lane for the RB to burst through. Olugbode appeared to jump the wrong gap on several big plays. I say appeared because I don't know if he was following his assignment and someone else went the wrong way. I chalked that up to youth and discontinuity caused by the injuries. Next year I see Olugbode, with all of his athletic ability, understanding Baer's system better and being a monster. With Gillam back the LB's could be great if they stay health. So i'm OK to wait and see with Baer.
That said if we could bring in DJ Durkin or Arnada from Wisconsin the upside would be worth making the change. Florida just hired a new DC, any chance we could get Durkin to CU? And if not, why? Arnada looks to be very good, though he runs a 3-4 at Wisconsin and I don't think we have 4 LB's on the roster, which could be a problem. OSU has only announced that they are bringing the Wisc OL and DL coach. It would be a shock if Arnada did go to OSU; but, if we could intercept his flight in Denver and keep him here, that would be huge.

Back