What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Enough is Enough!!

How the **** is the Athletic Director going to find time to hire a new coach if you self-important tossers are all expecting personalized responses?

I assure you that the the AD now knows the fanbase would like a replacement. Quit piling on. He knows, and he's doing something about it. He genuinely cares about making CU fans happy. Would you rather he make you happy by writing email responses, or doing his real job?

Now. Go to the games (I wish I could) and support our team. If you want to send a message wear a T-shirt or hold a sign which says, "We Love our Players". The intent is clear and the players will appreciate the gesture. If you are such a temperament that you prefer less subtle message you might add "and hate our coach".

:stupid:

How the **** is the Athletic Director going to find time to hire a new coach if you self-important tossers are all expecting personalized responses?

I assure you that the the AD now knows the fanbase would like a replacement. Quit piling on. He knows, and he's doing something about it. He genuinely cares about making CU fans happy. Would you rather he make you happy by writing email responses, or doing his real job?

Now. Go to the games (I wish I could) and support our team. If you want to send a message wear a T-shirt or hold a sign which says, "We Love our Players". The intent is clear and the players will appreciate the gesture. If you are such a temperament that you prefer less subtle message you might add "and hate our coach".

Yeah, I guess since I drive 800 miles (one way) to see the team several times a year, somehow find it in my budget to donate money and renew season tickets yearly, I wouldnt mind a personal response. My bad. :rolleyes:

Got a response in ten minutes and I dont think it was a form letter. Bam.

Thank you for taking the time to write. I am in receipt of your note and fully understand your frustration. We will keep working hard to improve in all facets of the program. Loyal supporters and fans like you are integral to our success and I urge you to stay with us. Young alumni like you are important to us. The program is bigger that any one individual. Recruiting is going well and having a good solid base of supporters makes a big difference. MB

God he must be gettting tired of writing these. I bet he mumbles these in his sleep.

Yeah, I guess since I drive 800 miles (one way) to see the team several times a year, somehow find it in my budget to donate money and renew season tickets yearly, I wouldnt mind a personal response. My bad. :rolleyes:

I wasn't suggesting that you shouldn't be taken care of as a fan. Nor was I questioning your dedication.

I'm merely suggesting if 20,000 dedicated fans feel similarly and expect personalized responses than Bohn, in his committment to take care of his fanbase will neglect more important duties to make everybody feel special.

And really, if your reward for travelling to see the team is to be validated by the AD, perhaps you shouldn't be making the trip.

I think we need a chain of command. Please appoint a "section representative" in your part of the stadium. Forward your gripes to him for review and he'll send them, if warranted, to the "stadium side" representative who will then forward up to the duely appointed "stadium fan representative" (what a ****ty job this must be) for consideration before Mr. Bohn. We will also be developing a an "internet fan", "far away fan", "non contributing fan" and "booster of substance" representative delegates as well.

I wasn't suggesting that you shouldn't be taken care of as a fan. Nor was I questioning your dedication.

I'm merely suggesting if 20,000 dedicated fans feel similarly and expect personalized responses than Bohn, in his committment to take care of his fanbase will neglect more important duties to make everybody feel special.

And really, if your reward for travelling to see the team is to be validated by the AD, perhaps you shouldn't be making the trip.

I dont feel the need to be rewarded in any capacity by the AD, never mentioned it in my email (earlier in the thread). However, I'd like to know that, while Im clearly doing my part, someone is listening and i'm/we're not stuck with year after year of 2-10. Thats not what I pay for. I renew/donate with the understanding that my money is to help make the athletic department as competititve as possible. As someone who supports the program in a small way financially, as we all do in some capacity, yes, I believe it's fine to hold someone accountable and want actual responses.

And I'd argue that the above response, is very different than the one below. In the top response you think the department owes you something. The one below suggests dissatisfaction with a product.

I dont feel the need to be rewarded in any capacity by the AD, never mentioned it in my email (earlier in the thread). However, I'd like to know that, while Im clearly doing my part, someone is listening and i'm/we're not stuck with year after year of 2-10. Thats not what I pay for. I renew/donate with the understanding that my money is to help make the athletic department as competititve as possible. As someone who supports the program in a small way financially, as we all do in some capacity, yes, I believe it's fine to hold someone accountable and want actual responses.

And I'd argue that the above response, is very different than the one below. In the top response you think the department owes you something. The one below suggests dissatisfaction with a product.

No, I think they both do convey that Im owed something. Not so much for driving the 800 miles, that was merely to illustrate that Im clearly a fan, but, financially supporting this team, in difficult economic times, I dont feel holding the department accountable and hoping for a personalized response is too much. That was our argument, no?

No, I think they both do convey that Im owed something. Not so much for driving the 800 miles, that was merely to illustrate that Im clearly a fan, but, financially supporting this team, in difficult economic times, I dont feel holding the department accountable and hoping for a personalized response is too much. That was our argument, no?

I don't think that it was our argument, though maybe it devolved to that at some point.

My intitial point was that at some point piling on with our dissatisfaction is counterproductive. I do think it's appropriate to hold the Athletic Department and the Coaching Staff accountable.

However, the manner in which some of the fans do it leads me to two possible concerns:

1. The barrage of emails become more of a distraction than motivation for change.

2. That the emails serve the purpose of validation of fanship rather than demanding accountibility.

Your post, in which you detailed how much you suffered to be a fan led me to conclusion number 2. That may or may not be the case, but that's how it came across to this reader.

I don't think that it was our argument, though maybe it devolved to that at some point.

My intitial point was that at some point piling on with our dissatisfaction is counterproductive. I do think it's appropriate to hold the Athletic Department and the Coaching Staff accountable.

However, the manner in which some of the fans do it leads me to two possible concerns:

1. The barrage of emails become more of a distraction than motivation for change.

2. That the emails serve the purpose of validation of fanship rather than demanding accountibility.

Your post, in which you detailed how much you suffered to be a fan led me to conclusion number 2. That may or may not be the case, but that's how it came across to this reader.

Gotcha. I tried to be careful to convey a tone of accountability in my email to Bohn rather than trying to get accolades as fan of the year, but, I do understand your point. :thumbsup:

Got a response in ten minutes and I dont think it was a form letter. Bam.

Thank you for taking the time to write. I am in receipt of your note and fully understand your frustration. We will keep working hard to improve in all facets of the program. Loyal supporters and fans like you are integral to our success and I urge you to stay with us. Young alumni like you are important to us. The program is bigger that any one individual. Recruiting is going well and having a good solid base of supporters makes a big difference. MB

Aren't the first 3 sentences identical to the response quoted in another thread? It looks like a personalized form letter.

Aren't the first 3 sentences identical to the response quoted in another thread? It looks like a personalized form letter.

I think its not a complete form letter bc he mention young alumni, programs bigger than one dude, etc. Its essentially the same **** he says to everyone else, but, as someone else mentioned, he writes thousands of these. Just glad he read it.

I think its not a complete form letter bc he mention young alumni, programs bigger than one dude, etc. Its essentially the same **** he says to everyone else, but, as someone else mentioned, he writes thousands of these. Just glad he read it.

Okay, but if we end up with Bob Davies as a head coach I'm blaming you.:lol:

Speaking of letters....

I hate to bury this deep within a thread 'cause I think it's worth reading by one and all, but It just seems to fit here for some reason.

Check out this link: http://www.thecuriouslife.com/?p=76

3b_little_billymanson.jpg

Speaking of letters....

I hate to bury this deep within a thread 'cause I think it's worth reading by one and all, but It just seems to fit here for some reason.

Check out this link: http://www.thecuriouslife.com/?p=76

3b_little_billymanson.jpg

:lol::lol: I wonder where young Mr. Geerhart is today. Is he available as a coach?

EDIT: Oh. Just clicked on the link. Nevermind...expect for the part about his availability as a coach. That question remains valid in my mind.

2nd EDIT: Send pictures...hahahaahahahahahaahahah!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had a 15 minute phone call with Mike Bohn.

First, here's my email that prompted the call:

"Hello Mike,

A little about me: I've been living in South Florida since graduating (Business 05), and while the distance from Boulder keeps me from attending a lot of home games, I still travel to at least 1 away game each year (I've been to Athens for the Georgia game, Jacksonville for the FSU game, Austin for the Texas game) and do my best to make it back to Boulder for a home game (Nebraska, Texas, Florida State, etc) with my girlfriend and at least 2 fraternity brothers.
The reason I'm telling you this is because I've become deeply concerned with the state of OUR CU Football program. I've waited these few days after our most recent loss to write you in the hopes that my email doesn't get caught up in the blizzard of emails that you're no doubt receiving from other upset & frustrated fans & alumni. Please don't lump my letter in with those other knee-jerk emails.
While I am further perplexed with the direction of this team as games go by; I am not a college football player nor coach, and for that reason, I'm not writing you to question or berate Dan Hawkins' play-calling or 14-29 win-loss record - regardless of how disappointing they appear.

Having attended CU during the 'scandal', I am very aware of the challenges that Dan Hawkins faced in re-building this program. Further, I am also cognizant of the positives Dan Hawkins has brought to the school as well (including but not limited to rebuilding the program, recruiting complete student-athletes, earning the highest team GPA, etc).

Nonetheless Mike, I simply cannot support the head coach of this team anymore. It pains me to say it, but CU Football is no longer taken seriously. From the perspective of a committed fan, I see Dan Hawkins a) growing more and more contemptuous with fans and media, b) Completely unwilling to take responsibility for poor coaching, performance, preparation c) Handling of the qb-situation and how it has devolved into a soap-opera, d) Players look and act lifeless, unemotional and uninterested on the sidelines (so much so that national TV announcers have made note of it), e) Is without a winning season in what will now be 4 seasons at Colorado f) Other schools and coaches are seeing success with a less-committed fan base, less financial backing and less tradition than CU - why is this?

Mike, what would you do if you were me? In tallying what I spend on CU tickets, travel and gear, it is well over $2000/yr - Can you blame me if I feel that I no longer want to go to the trouble and expense to see & support my Buffaloes if they continue to be coached and perform at this low level?
I know the financial challenges posed to you and the University in terms of replacing a failing coach, but I ask you: how many committed alumni & fans will be lost, how many great recruits will go elsewhere, by what % will game attendance drop, if an ineffective and unlikable coach is retained? Is it worth it?

Please answer me the aforementioned questions to let me know you're personally reading this email; I've applauded your work as AD, and would earnestly like to hear your thoughts on my concerns.

Sincere Regards,"

Mike's response was the following:

"Thank you for taking the time to write, I have read your note and would be happy to visit with your further if you like. I can be reached at the office at ***-***-****. I fully understand your frustration. We will keep working hard to improve in all facets of the program. Loyal supporters and fans like you are integral to our success and I urge you to stay with us. Please see further comments below. MB"

He then responded in the text of my email with "WE SHOULD DISCUSS THIS PIECE" in response to my a thru f issues with Hawkins and "WE CAN COVER THIS AS WELL" in response to my question of what is worse: the loss of fans and recruits or the cost to replace a failed coach.

In regards to the phone call - I essentially reiterated my concerns about the program that I outlined in the email above. He said he really didn't know why the team wasn't succeeding, but that they were looking at Hawkins' assistant coaches who could help make things "pop", so it sounds like there will prob be shake-up of assistants come year end. In regards to the K-state loss, he told me that they had more talented players on the D-Line and that the level of experience & talent was lower for us. He then made an excuse about that by saying that Hawkins' players are all young and just now starting to play. I didn't want to argue or make any statements about Hawkins player personnel choices b/c I figured Mike would shut down and end the call. I did then ask Mike point-blank what his expectations of the football team were. This is where he gave me his only really concrete answer: Bohn expects that the Buffs to be: "In the top half of the league and bowl eligible every year". When I asked how many times that had been accomplished under Hawkins, he acknowledged one. He went on to essentially say that if Hawkins does not succeed next year, he will be gone, but I def got the feeling that it wouldn't happen any sooner. Bohn asked me what head coach would want to come to CU in the current state (with unmotivated players, angry fan base etc), I thought that was an interesting question, and without hesitation, I said there would be MANY head coaches that would relish the chance to be the HC of a Big XII football team with the National Championship, Big XII championship and Heisman winning-tradition of this program. He immediately changed the subject. I referenced the financial "challenges" involved in removing a head coach, but he didn't acknowledge them...but we both know they're there. Mike did say that he's been receiving a lot of emails from fans saying that they won't be renewing their season tickets, which he said will only hurt the program more. I then asked him how a fan/alum like myself could express their anger with the HC without speaking with our wallets. His answer was to continue pushing the AD who in turn pushes the HC. I got the feeling that he doesn't really think that many of the people who said they won't re-new their season tickets actually won't. He said that there will soon be a "20 questions with Hawk" where fans can submit questions and Hawkins will answer them...that should be interesting. Interestingly, when Bohn mentioned the 20 questions thing, it made me bring up the fact that I didn't like that Hawkins has become more and more harsh and contemptuous to fans & the media. Mike said that he's working with Dan on that and as a matter of fact, there are clauses in his contract that address this, and it appears Hawkins' public attitude is going to "hit him in the pocket book".

That's basically the summary of the conversation - lots of "finding our mojo" non-committal type stuff...nothing concrete like I was hoping, but then again, I'm just some joe shmoe who went to CU.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Bohn said a bowl game this year is possible, but that he honestly didn't think it would happen.

Last edited:
Just had a 15 minute phone call with Mike Bohn.

That's basically the summary of the conversation - lots of "finding our mojo" non-committal type stuff...nothing concrete like I was hoping, but then again, I'm just some joe shmoe who went to CU.
Wow. That was very insightful. Looks like a shakeup, but not at the top. So, I guess we can speculate as to which coaches will be gone. I think a couple of them were only interim anyway, right?

Wow. That was very insightful. Looks like a shakeup, but not at the top. So, I guess we can speculate as to which coaches will be gone. I think a couple of them were only interim anyway, right?

Yeah, and Mike did say something about being able to secure a multi-year contract...something with Hawkins has had issues with previously. My guess: Kiseau will be a long-term guy...

Awfully hard to support the players and send a message to the administration at the same time.

Follow my lead, as stated in a thread yesterday, I will be sporting Blaze orange Shirts with "Here for the Players, GO BUFFS!" to all remaining home games. If we turn that place orange the players get the Support and the administration gets a message.

PDA,

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Bohn's doing his best to make lemonade out of lemons right now. It sounds to me like he may not be able to get rid of Hawkins (internal politics) and he's seeing if any of the excuses resonate or if the "change the assistants" approach will appease fans.

Don't discount the "change the assistants" approach. We should actually get behind this. Alabama used this when they wanted to get rid of Bill Curry. The AD took away his authority to name his own assistants and he resigned under protest and out of loyalty to his assistants. Resignation removes the buyout (possibly a negotiated settlement instead, but not necessarily).

This may be the best strategy for getting rid of Hawkins. Make it clear to Bohn that you want him to get rid of his Boise boys (Collins, Riddle and Bandison) and to get some real BCS coaches to CU.

On recruiting, Collins doesn't do it and Bandison isn't good at it (Riddle's pretty good).

Collins has turned in some of the worst defensive performances in the history of CU football and this year's defense only got turned around when Brown, Cabral and Foster started winning arguments on the gameplan after the embarrassment of the first 2 weeks.

Bandison doesn't coach up his players on the sideline and did nothing last year to prepare for the obvious youth problem that would be coming in 2009. Further, it's hard to say that he's done a thing to develop anyone. Shields left, we've gotten nothing from Obi, Goree and Kaynor, and we've got some freshmen that simply have a ton of talent (Kasa, West and Bonsu). Maybe some credit for Herrod and Cunningham coming on this year, but you still don't see much more than a bull rush from either of them.

Riddle. What to say about Riddle except we've had the worst special teams in the country under him and all kickers and punters have gotten worse under his watch. He haven't seen him develop a TE either. Geer was good as a freshman and has gotten his game back as a senior. Deehan was a 4* recruit that isn't doing anything as a soph beyond what he was as a frosh. Ryan Wallace transferred on him. And we couldn't get a top legacy like Fauria to come to CU as a freshman or as a transfer.

Last edited:
thanks for sharing, interesting insight. wonder how serious these guys are about athletics at CU? Things better change real soon, or they will lose the small fan base CU has been holding on to since Mac left. The Hack era has definately had a negative impact on the size of the fanbase and the $$$ coming in. Bohn may not want to admit it, but his hand may be forced soon.

Thanks for sharing...I wonder how much of that is Bohn trying to gauge fan response. I think the possibility of replacing Hawkins has to be on his mind......

Although he is not going to invite a fan to call and reveal that he is going to fire the coach. He is going to tout the company line until it has to change.

thanks for sharing, interesting insight. wonder how serious these guys are about athletics at CU? Things better change real soon, or they will lose the small fan base CU has been holding on to since Mac left. The Hack era has definately had a negative impact on the size of the fanbase and the $$$ coming in. Bohn may not want to admit it, but his hand may be forced soon.

You sure about that last part?

I have a buff club info packet at home that shows significant increases in both buff club membership and overall donations since 2005.

Interesting. I guess he's hoping a few new assistant coaches will please everyone and somehow Dan turns it around next year. Can't say I think that will be likely. I can just see him hiring a bunch of new people and then installing a new offense and then claiming we don't have the players for that scheme or something. He's a joke and he is actually starting to make me dislike him as a person with all of his outrageous comments.

Bohn is less worried about season tix being renewed. His big fear is the major donors refusing to write checks.

Juicebox will not be let go regardless of this seasons record unless the major boosters to the athletic department get together and threaten to withhold the 5 and 6 figure donations.

Back