What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Entrance requirements for athletes at other P12 schools?

Buffarino

Math - how does it work?
Club Member
Is there anywhere this is available? I'm talking specifically about Stanford. A fried of mine contends that the Furd has the same entrance requirements for athletes as they do for their gen pop students. While I know this is not true, I don't know if there is anywhere to definitively prove it. Anyone have an idea?

Basically his argument is that every other school in the P12 relaxes entrance requirements except Stanford. I know that's bull****, but can't prove it (yet). And he's not even a Stanford grad.

Is there anywhere this is available? I'm talking specifically about Stanford. A fried of mine contends that the Furd has the same entrance requirements for athletes as they do for their gen pop students. While I know this is not true, I don't know if there is anywhere to definitively prove it. Anyone have an idea?

Basically his argument is that every other school in the P12 relaxes entrance requirements except Stanford. I know that's bull****, but can't prove it (yet). And he's not even a Stanford grad.
Well, there's the "minimums you have to meet" in order to be admitted, and then there are the "what you have to do to be admitted competitively" standards. My impression is that in the P12, not many (if any) of the schools bend the first window that much, and Stanford's minimums are probably a little higher than the other schools. Everyone, including 'furd, bend the second one like hell to get athletes in.

Look at CU's minimum academic preparation requirements on the admissions website. The "minimum" is 4 years of pretty much any HS English classes, 4 years of HS Math (all the way through trig -oooooh), 3 years of "natural science," 3 years of social sciences, 2 years of a foreign language, and... you're done. If you're an athlete, that basically means the most difficult class you'll ever have to take in high school is trig or maybe biology, and all you have to do is pass it. But, if you're not an athlete, you better have some AP/Honors courses and have pretty stellar grades in some of them.

We don't bend our minimum window much in order to get players in, and neither does 'furd. While the de jure minimum actually applies for non-competitive admits (i.e. scholarship athletes), the de facto minimum for competitive admits (everyone else) is much, much higher. And I believe that's pretty much the same at every university with even marginally respectable academics (i.e. AAU schools).

Thanks. That's my understanding of how it works as well. I know even Ivies do it to a limited extent. My cousin played football at Harvard. He is smart (3.5+ GPA, 1200-1300 or so SAT coming out of HS), but no chance he gets in without the football coach wanting him. He told me that himself.

Back