What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

ESPN ESPN PAC-12 Blog: Can college football do anything about the length of games?

I'm not bothered by the length of games. I see no problem that needs solving here.

I'm not bothered by the length of games. I see no problem that needs solving here.

Big problem for TV windows. It is annoying when games run over and it seems to happen regularly. 3 hours and 24 minutes as an average seems excessive.

Also, the national championship game is a great example. It was an exciting game, but holy hell, it was long too.

The stadium experience is mildly annoying due to excessive TV timeouts. Otherwise, it's a great experience, IMO. The length of games is 100% a TV problem, not a pace of play problem.

Big problem for TV windows. It is annoying when games run over and it seems to happen regularly. 3 hours and 24 minutes as an average seems excessive.

Also, the national championship game is a great example. It was an exciting game, but holy hell, it was long too.
I think that's a problem that TV has created and it's trying to change the game to fit its limitations. I see what you're saying and I recognize the issue. I just don't think it's a problem with the game. It's a problem with TV.

I would really hate to see them run the clock more and cut out plays so they can fit the required number of TV timeouts.

More plays, more passing plays, and numerous replays have little bearing on the length of games? Color me skeptical.

Reviews certainly haven't helped. They should all be done in the booth, and should stick with the original call if they can't sort it out within a required timeframe.

More plays, more passing plays, and numerous replays have little bearing on the length of games? Color me skeptical.
More passing certainly extends the game. I won't argue that. I just don't think it's a significant enough difference to warrant an actual rule change to speed up the game. If TV wants faster games, then TV needs to figure that out. Don't make the game - which is perfectly fine as it is - change to suit your needs.

I mean if Goddell is openly admitting TV is making games too long then I think college football should accept it.

If it's TV that makes the game too long, then it's TV that needs to figure out a way to fix it, not college football itself.

Back