What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Even Kansas has more commits than us..

JimmyBuff

I can't believe this administration is okay with setting the program back even further.. I went through these commits that we have, Jones and Munchie are the only players that have legit offers elsewhere. Maybe the QB from Cali can play, I don't know. .The rest are non-BCS talent that must be coached up to make it here at CU(you think Talkins and his staff are going to "coach" up anyone?) And where's the DT/DL or OL? This staff has no clue how to properly recruit.. One Texas player.. ONE.. Are we even trying to recruit Texas?

Hell, Iowa State has 20 commits.. This is a joke..

Go ahead someone try to counter anything I said.. I actually do want to change my mind or get another perspective on this.. Right now, I'm not seeing anything positive with Talkins and his recruiting right now. Every one of our Big 12 rivals is crushing us.. :sad2:

It seems that this staff's mantra is to get it done late in the process. Not sure why, and yes, it makes me a bit antsy. It may be compounded this year as I'm sure some potential recruits were concerned with the coaching change/no change situation.

It seems that this staff's mantra is to get it done late in the process..

Well I did check Boise STate (5 commits) and TCU (9 commits)..

Other than that I don't see any BCS programs with this small number of commits right now.

Oregon has 13 although I'm not sure how many ships they have available.

I can't believe this administration is okay with setting the program back even further.. I went through these commits that we have, Jones and Munchie are the only players that have legit offers elsewhere. Maybe the QB from Cali can play, I don't know. .The rest are non-BCS talent that must be coached up to make it here at CU(you think Talkins and his staff are going to "coach" up anyone?) And where's the DT/DL or OL? This staff has no clue how to properly recruit.. One Texas player.. ONE.. Are we even trying to recruit Texas?

Hell, Iowa State has 20 commits.. This is a joke..

Go ahead someone try to counter anything I said.. I actually do want to change my mind or get another perspective on this.. Right now, I'm not seeing anything positive with Talkins and his recruiting right now. Every one of our Big 12 rivals is crushing us.. :sad2:

Elevate the discourse Jimmy, elevate....

i moved this to the football forum, as we're more strict on the type of content that goes on the recruiting forum. That forum is focused mainly on the kids, and I didn't think JB's post (while perfectly valid) fit that mold.

On Dan Hawkins and staff coaching up anyone, is it even worth arguing? Do you care about any of the 2* talent Hawkins and his Boise guys got into the NFL while at Boise State? Any of the players Cabral and Brown have coached up to the NFL while at CU? Any of the players Kiesau coached up to the NFL while at Cal? Guys like Solder this year who is 1st team all Big 12 at LT after being a 2* TE recruit who just made the position switch for the 2008 season? Will Pericak who was a lightly recruited linebacker that bulked up to play DT this year as a RS-Freshman and had one hell of a year?

I assume you or any of the people blinded by Hawk-hate want to hear about this or other examples.

Similarly, I guess it doesn't matter to you that our class is a 2.73 star average on Rivals and is likely to stay around that number (if not improve) while KU's nor ISU's class is exactly loaded with blue chip talent. KU's class, especially, will go down hill from here as some of their verbal commitments abandon ship with the coaching change (and finishing the season with 7 straight losses).

Last, I don't even want to argue it at this point. The day after National Signing Day we should debate the quality of the class. Even then, it's speculation (kind of like evaluating an NFL draft before the guys have been in the league a couple/few years), but at least we'll have all the info at that point. For now, Jimmy, can we simply agree that there are more sides than yours to this issue?

i moved this to the football forum, as we're more strict on the type of content that goes on the recruiting forum. That forum is focused mainly on the kids, and I didn't think JB's post (while perfectly valid) fit that mold.

Thanks, dio. I don't mind frank discussion in the recruiting forum, I just don't want opinionated rants that leave no room for intelligent debate.

If the original post had simply laid out the case that we are lagging behind with verbal commitments and not seeming to win recruiting battles against top programs, it would have been fine. As it stood, it was more of an inflammatory soapbox blast defying anyone to disagree.

On Dan Hawkins and staff coaching up anyone, is it even worth arguing? Do you care about any of the 2* talent Hawkins and his Boise guys got into the NFL while at Boise State? Any of the players Cabral and Brown have coached up to the NFL while at CU? Any of the players Kiesau coached up to the NFL while at Cal? Guys like Solder this year who is 1st team all Big 12 at LT after being a 2* TE recruit who just made the position switch for the 2008 season? Will Pericak who was a lightly recruited linebacker that bulked up to play DT this year as a RS-Freshman and had one hell of a year?

I assume you or any of the people blinded by Hawk-hate want to hear about this or other examples.

Similarly, I guess it doesn't matter to you that our class is a 2.73 star average on Rivals and is likely to stay around that number (if not improve) while KU's nor ISU's class is exactly loaded with blue chip talent. KU's class, especially, will go down hill from here as some of their verbal commitments abandon ship with the coaching change (and finishing the season with 7 straight losses).

Last, I don't even want to argue it at this point. The day after National Signing Day we should debate the quality of the class. Even then, it's speculation (kind of like evaluating an NFL draft before the guys have been in the league a couple/few years), but at least we'll have all the info at that point. For now, Jimmy, can we simply agree that there are more sides than yours to this issue?

All those great players and I'm sorry what was our record again?:rolleyes:

I can pick any program in the country and find a few success stories in their 2 star commits. Doesn't mean the program is getting any better or its "great" coaching by Talkins.

When Kiesau starts finding and getting impact players like Forsett, Jackson, Lynch here at CU then I'll be impressed.. So far, I ain't seeing it yet.

The LB's of the last 7 years under Cabral with the ones 7 or so years before that are no comparision.. We've had one impact LB since 2001 and that's been Dizon.. End of story..

Nice to see that you completely blew off my Texas recruiting comment.. Guess there's no "intelligent" debate there :rolleyes:

I can't believe this administration is okay with setting the program back even further.. I went through these commits that we have, Jones and Munchie are the only players that have legit offers elsewhere.

Not sure what you are looking at.

Here are our commits and other offers:
Jered Bell CSU (also named RB MVP at the Washington camp. Bell, from Colony High in California, has interest from Washington Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA and UNLV. )
Keenan Canty Hamilton
Donnie Duncan New Mexico, Washington State
Justin Favors seven other offers
Nick Hirschman Harvard
Mister Jones KU, TxA&M, Wyoming
Munchie Legaux 12 other offers
Daniel Munyer 5 other offers
Kyle Slavin Syracuse
Chidera Uzo-Diribe (offered other official visits: UCLA and AZ)
Lowell Williams two other offers

Schools aren't necessarily going to offer someone who isn't showing interest and/or is a solid commit elsewhere.

Beyond that, I don't measure a recruit's worth based on how many other schools offered him. Recruits often don't even tell the Rivals and Scout sites about additional offers, once they've got leaders or have committed.

Last edited:
Not sure what you are looking at.

Here are our commits and other offers:
Jered Bell CSU
Keenan Canty Hamilton
Donnie Duncan New Mexico, Washington State
Justin Favors seven other offers
Nick Hirschman Harvard
Mister Jones KU, TxA&M, Wyoming
Munchie Legaux 12 other offers
Daniel Munyer 5 other offers
Kyle Slavin Syracuse
Chidera Uzo-Diribe (offered other official visits: UCLA and AZ)
Lowell Williams two other offers

Schools aren't necessarily going to offer someone who isn't showing interest and/or is a solid commit elsewhere.

Beyond that, I don't measure a recruit's worth based on how many other schools offered him. Recruits often don't even tell the Rivals and Scout sites about additional offers, once they've got leaders or have committed.

So you want me to give you two more because football powerhouses Sryacuse and Washington State might have offered a few of our players.. Please. Bell had interest from other schools, not offers

Legit BCS offers was what I was talking about.. Mister Jones and Munchie have legit offers from football programs that are good.. When you are recruiting players that Sryacuse and Washington State (quite possibly the worst two BCS programs in the country) that doesn't exactly put CU in a positive light.

Oh BTW, buffnik made an interesting point that Talkins and his staff coached up all these players at Boise State.. Okay, tell me how many players here have actually improved since they got here. (Allright I'll give you Solder even though I'm shocked he's an All-Big 12 player) That's one guy.. Give me some more that actually improved since they got here.

So you want me to give you two more because football powerhouses Sryacuse and Washington State might have offered a few of our players.. Please. Bell had interest from other schools, not offers

Legit BCS offers was what I was talking about.. Mister Jones and Munchie have legit offers from football programs that are good.. When you are recruiting players that Sryacuse and Washington State (quite possibly the worst two BCS programs in the country) that doesn't exactly put CU in a positive light.

Oh BTW, buffnik made an interesting point that Talkins and his staff coached up all these players at Boise State.. Okay, tell me how many players here have actually improved since they got here. (Allright I'll give you Solder even though I'm shocked he's an All-Big 12 player) That's one guy.. Give me some more that actually improved since they got here.

You might at least want to count Justin Favors. Unless Cincinnati isn't good enough for you.... :huh:

I actually do want to change my mind or get another perspective on this.. Right now, I'm not seeing anything positive with Talkins and his recruiting right now. Every one of our Big 12 rivals is crushing us.. :sad2:

Okay, okay, I get it. You cannot see a single thing that might be better in 2010 and maybe we should just cancel the season.

I'm not there yet. I don't think the fb program is swirling hopelessly down the sewer. I'm still hopeful. I LIKE our recruits, they are interesting intriguing talented guys. I'm hoping there are some jewels in there who will surprise us all and surpass expectations, even the sunshiny ones.

Yeah, the commits don't have a boatload of offers from the top 12 schools. Oh, well. I don't know what to tell you. It is what it is, and my perspective isn't going to change your mind.

KU's class, especially, will go down hill from here as some of their verbal commitments abandon ship with the coaching change (and finishing the season with 7 straight losses).

Do you think that or do you hope that? :huh:

Notre Dame is having some rumors of decommits and so is Kansas. It's natural that the kids want to look around at this time.

I will not sugar coat it: I follow recruiting closely and the staff has some MAJOR work to do to salvage this class. I like some of the athletes in this group. I think there are some players. But I also cannot disagree that the lack of prospects with big-time offers is worrisome. I also agree about the lack of success in Texas, that is inexcusable. Finally, the DL recruiting is lagging. Again. I am holding out some hope that the staff can find some quality players in the next few months, but they have a long way to go to make this class a respectable class in the Big 12.

****, Jimmy, I didn't think you were even serious about the Texas comment. We haven't been very successful recruiting Texas, but you asked if we were even trying. Do you see how many guys from Texas we offered, even reaching in some cases to get our foot in the door with certain program? Do you realize that a big reason for Denver Johnson being hired last year was to build our Texas recruiting network? Same thing with Ambrose (Louisiana + Houston area). We've also had Bandison shift his focus to Texas.

Yeah, we've got to do better. 3 last year (Bonsu, Darden, Ussery) and 1 so far this year (Williams), but it takes time to build a pipeline. Especially in a state that saw UT beat us 70-3 in 2005. I would agree that one of the biggest mistakes Hawkins has made with his coaching staff before now was in not having assistants with experience and relationships in Texas recruiting. He tried to fix that last year with Jeff Grimes, but he left and took Emory Blake with him :sad2:.

I am not too concerned with "other offers". After all, with the great Coach Hawkins here at CU, whenever a recruit says "CU is my interest", other programs know better than approaching.

We've seen how far Coach Hawkins has skyrocketed all of our talent, and I have confidence that he'll continue to take us to the next level.

I will not sugar coat it: I follow recruiting closely and the staff has some MAJOR work to do to salvage this class. I like some of the athletes in this group. I think there are some players. But I also cannot disagree that the lack of prospects with big-time offers is worrisome. I also agree about the lack of success in Texas, that is inexcusable. Finally, the DL recruiting is lagging. Again. I am holding out some hope that the staff can find some quality players in the next few months, but they have a long way to go to make this class a respectable class in the Big 12.

i guess i am expecting a pretty pedestrian class but i am hopeful they pull a few miracles out of their hats. you can't lose at the pace these guys have lost and not have it impact recruiting.

mister jones and munchie and a couple other guys, on paper, look legit. maybe they'll grab a few more.

we are going to have some gaps down the road, undoubtedly. it is hard to keep the pipeline filled with bluechips when things go like this.

Do you think that or do you hope that? :huh:

They had their first announcement today of a 3* deciding to start looking around. I will be shocked if the coaching change doesn't cause big changes to their recruiting class (mostly negative, since KU won't pull in a Nick Saban type).

i guess i am expecting a pretty pedestrian class but i am hopeful they pull a few miracles out of their hats. you can't lose at the pace these guys have lost and not have it impact recruiting.

mister jones and munchie and a couple other guys, on paper, look legit. maybe they'll grab a few more.

we are going to have some gaps down the road, undoubtedly. it is hard to keep the pipeline filled with bluechips when things go like this.

Yep. We need to pull in some guys like Harold Mobley and Kevin Poston. Getting Spond back into the fold would help too. Then add some guys from Hawaii like Foi Foi, Kaiwi Crabb, and Tuu Lolohea. Even then, the class is still looking a bit sparse. The grade issues of some of the targets is a bit worrisome too.

Yeah, the commits don't have a boatload of offers from the top 12 schools. Oh, well. I don't know what to tell you. It is what it is.

It tells me either the staff needs to pick it up or Talkins needs to go find some assistants that can actually recruit..

And I believe I read one of these postseason articles (might have been Talkins post-season press conference) where he said he was going to emphasize recruiting in Texas (along with Cali).. Well why haven't we've been doing it before?

If Talkins was recruiting well, I actually might have been able to buy giving Talkins another year.. But from what I see right now and last year's class (which I wasn't overly impressed with especially since we ended up undersigning) I think all we are doing is delaying the inevitable and screwing up for our next coach by giving him more holes to fill..

Maybe it will turn it around and we will have a respectable class.. Ambrose on the staff does give me some hope so I'll give you that..

Yep. We need to pull in some guys like Harold Mobley and Kevin Poston. Getting Spond back into the fold would help too. Then add some guys from Hawaii like Foi Foi, Kaiwi Crabb, and Tuu Lolohea. Even then, the class is still looking a bit sparse. The grade issues of some of the targets is a bit worrisome too.

Cabral is in Hawaii this week working on some you've mentioned.

Bottom line, and I'll be completely honest here:

Most of what I'm seeing from our 2009 class is guys who have the measurables, come across in interviews as good, coachable young men, and are a tier below what Top 25 programs are pulling in as far as their ratings are concerned. Most of what we have I'd be enthusiastic about as the 2nd guy we landed at a position, but I'm not seeing guys who can come in as true freshmen and directly impact games. Fortunately, we've built depth so they will have time to develop but it's certainly not ideal. We need to get Spond back and pull in a few top guys off our remaining list in order to finish with a class that doesn't make me nervous.

The LB's of the last 7 years under Cabral with the ones 7 or so years before that are no comparision.. We've had one impact LB since 2001 and that's been Dizon.. End of story..
Wasn't Dizon a 2 or 3 star RB? Cabral has landed some high profile recruits in recent years. Obviously Katoa didn't pan out, and I think we'll see what Major has this year. I also look forward to Rippy having a breakout year next year.

Bottom line, and I'll be completely honest here:

Most of what I'm seeing from our 2009 class is guys who have the measurables, come across in interviews as good, coachable young men, and are a tier below what Top 25 programs are pulling in as far as their ratings are concerned. Most of what we have I'd be enthusiastic about as the 2nd guy we landed at a position, but I'm not seeing guys who can come in as true freshmen and directly impact games. Fortunately, we've built depth so they will have time to develop but it's certainly not ideal. We need to get Spond back and pull in a few top guys off our remaining list in order to finish with a class that doesn't make me nervous.

We need about 6 lineman (either side) before I'll be happy.. The program will not go anywhere until we start winning battles at the line of scrimmage..

Wasn't Dizon a 2 or 3 star RB? Cabral has landed some high profile recruits in recent years. Obviously Katoa didn't pan out, and I think we'll see what Major has this year. I also look forward to Rippy having a breakout year next year.

Dizon was a 3 star out of Hawaii..

****, Jimmy, I didn't think you were even serious about the Texas comment. We haven't been very successful recruiting Texas, but you asked if we were even trying. Do you see how many guys from Texas we offered, even reaching in some cases to get our foot in the door with certain program? \.

Well when you have only one commit from Texas so far it tells me the staff isn't trying hard enough or no one is buying their sales piece..

And forget the 70-3 game.. That's just an excuse. Texas has buried Missouri and Kansas in recent years and they have no problem pulling 8 or 9 guys every year out of Texas.

Back