What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Every Sefo Liufau Pass/Run vs Colorado State condensed

Snaps. 10 low snaps when Sefo either ran or threw. 10 out of 47. A problem last year as well.

At some point one would think it would not be an issue

Not bad at all for Sefo in Week 1. He'll need to improve in accuracy as the season goes on, but for the first game, I'll easily take it!

One weird play, though: anyone notice his acting to get a roughing the passer call? Guess he's channeling his Vlade Divac?

Well done @Jeric and @Skidmark, I think you guys did more work today than I have all year at my job.

The release location to target location chart is really interesting. Sefo refusing to throw over the middle is an ongoing thing, which is surprising considering at his height, he doesn't have to worry about passing lanes in the middle of the field like shorter QBs.

Hopefully this is corrected because crossing routes over the middle is a huge part of the Texas Tech offense, therefore I'm assuming it will be with ours too. Against a cover 2, the middle of the field behind the linebackers and in front of the safeties is a weak spot, and against man it's tough for corners to stay with guys like Ross and Shay running crossing routes.

a few more observations about that passing chart:
- 3rd and long might be a problem. Not too many route were designed for the catch to be 10+ yards.
- the rushing game sets up the pass. Attack the middle of the field by land and outside the hashes by air. Averaging 5+ yards per carry really makes the passing game on second or third down look more productive.
- if I could add one dimension to Sefo's passing game, it would be to improve passing accuracy and vision when he's scrambling. When Sefo gets flushed from the pocket, he's not that big of a threat.
- if I could add a second dimension, it would be intermediate routes up the middle of the field. A TE with soft hands running seam routes would be a nice addition the the playbook.
- I suspect that the aversion to mid field passes has to do with fear of tipped balls and picks. While it's true that Sefo didn't throw any interceptions on Friday, it's noteworthy that CU's fumbles occurred in that area of the field where interceptions are prone to occur, and netted basically the same result as a pick.
- it's less of a surprise that Tedrick and Chidobe were so good at covering CSU at the line and tackling CSU's receivers for a loss. Our secondary has seen these routes from Sefo a million times.
- Having Ross, Bobo, and Fields serve as reliable receivers is a blessing. I should add Lindsey's ability to catch out of the backfield to that list. CU has adjusted to Spruce's departure by spreading the load. If Sefo is prone to lock on his receiver, atleast he's keeping the defense guessing as to whom.
- Down field blocking is critical to moving the chains. So is Sefo getting rid of the ball quickly. Those long passes came with defenders in his face. Our Oline will need to hold pass pro for another second for Sefo to become more accurate downfield. And should RB or FB fail to provide pick up the blitz, that's when things break down.
- if I were defending Sefo, on obvious passing downs, I'd put my best tacklers in a zone near the hash mark opposite to where the ball is snapped. CU's routes and timing patterns were big on using the hash marks for reference.

Sefo's best pass of the game was also the best catch of the game...the one handed grab by Bobo.

Receivers looked awesome. Shay's separation, Ross' speed and Bobo's YAC really caught my eye.

They looked Uber focused...thst will determine their success IMO.

Sefo will never make anyone forget about the Andrew Lucks of the world in the college game but I would venture to say that a lot of coaches would gladly take a performance like he had against CSU.

Some items of note:

Sefo has always had a problem with innacuracy, especially throwing left and on shorter passes to that side. He still had a couple of those but unlike in the past instead of sailing the ball he threw it into the turf. This is an improvement because it cuts down the chances of a trailing defender grabbing the gift and taking it to the house.

It looked like his footwork was better. He still had the passes where he left his feet and he had a couple of those contort and chuck the ball throws but mostly he was setting his feet and if the pass wasn't there moving and resetting. The result was less balls up for grabs. He had a couple of high balls that he deliberately threw out of reach and out of bounds instead of into coverage, I'll take that gladly from him.

Also saw much better movement in his looking downfield. I saw a number of plays in which he looked to a receiver and instead of locking on and waiting reset and looked to a different part of the field. It looked like he was getting deeper into his reads than he has in the past. Probably didn't hurt that CSU didn't have much of a pass rush most of the night. Hope that he can continue to get more comfortable working the reads and keep it up under pressure.

Agree with others on the QB runs. He can't go out trying to be Earl Campbell running over defenses play after play. They need to run him enough to keep the threat but when the game is out of reach no reason for him to be taking hit after hit. He also needs to learn to take what he can get and slide.

Negative - just about everything he threw was outside the hashes. We have a different thread talking about lack of using the TE. Well, we aren't using WRs in the middle of the field much either. I wonder if Sefo just isn't comfortable looking and throwing down the middle of the field, as much success as we had outside the defense had to be splitting wider and leaving some gaps

I shook my head at a few passes, but only 1 made me wince. He was flushed from the pocket and scrambled left, and then tried to throw back across his body towards the middle of the field. Ouch.

No, hes not the only qb who has done that. Coaches will tell you it's a cardinal sin.

For the most part, I was impressed with his game especially considering it was his first game action since being injured last year.

I shook my head at a few passes, but only 1 made me wince. He was flushed from the pocket and scrambled left, and then tried to throw back across his body towards the middle of the field. Ouch.

No, hes not the only qb who has done that. Coaches will tell you it's a cardinal sin.

For the most part, I was impressed with his game especially considering it was his first game action since being injured last year.

This specific throw would have been a pic6 against any conference opponent.

I just watched again focusing on Lindsay. Man I love his off the ball blocking this year. Fearless!

Back