What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Facilities. Guess we are gonna wait a long time.

ElCunado

Club Member
Club Member
This gem is in the latest email to Alums from DiStefano

"The administration's commitment to the football program is clear in Coach MacIntyre's contract, approved by the regents on Dec. 12. The contract is competitive with our Pac-12 peers and includes a major facilities renovation plan to be unveiled by Dec. 1, 2013, and the awarding of a design contract by Dec. 1, 2014. However, we cannot do this alone. We need your help and will be asking for donations to support athletics so that we can make these key long-term investments in our athletic facilities."

So I'm guessing we won't break soil until 2015. Awesome.

http://www.colorado.edu/chancellor/emessages/2012/12/

This gem is in the latest email to Alums from DiStefano

"The administration's commitment to the football program is clear in Coach MacIntyre's contract, approved by the regents on Dec. 12. The contract is competitive with our Pac-12 peers and includes a major facilities renovation plan to be unveiled by Dec. 1, 2013, and the awarding of a design contract by Dec. 1, 2014. However, we cannot do this alone. We need your help and will be asking for donations to support athletics so that we can make these key long-term investments in our athletic facilities."

So I'm guessing we won't break soil until 2015. Awesome.

http://www.colorado.edu/chancellor/emessages/2012/12/

Maybe "I'm more conservative than Mike" DiStephano will be replaced by then.

Good God. They achieve their goal of bringing in a coach (finally) under the guise of "commitment" to the program and then totally undermine the plan as soon as the poor sot has signed on the dotted line.

Fire every last one of these assholes right. the. ****. NOW! Benson and DiStefano talk a good game but don't walk it (what do you expect of politicians) and Bohn was castrated so long ago he has no bals to stand up to these idots.

The coach is hired. Now get rid of the Three Musketurds. Not even 2 weeks and they show they were lying to MacIntyre.

Jesus. None of those whining in this thread know what will be done or when. And I seriously doubt any of them have opened their checkbooks.

I actually doubled my seat donation for next year and put it in the "sustainable excellence fund". And I have 4 tickets in 108. I'm just sick of getting different dates after different dates. Especially with something that could help recruiting in the transition class.

Jesus. None of those whining in this thread know what will be done or when. And I seriously doubt any of them have opened their checkbooks.

My buff club statement says otherwise. C'mon Bombay. The facilities plans have been around since 2000. You know what, any buff fan knows what HASN'T been done for a long, long time.

I have to ask . . . how many of you complaining said you'd donate once Embree was fired, but now say "I will donate once ground breaks"? These are probably the same people who complain that the administration said they will build x,y,z but now are waiting for donations to roll in.

I actually doubled my seat donation for next year and put it in the "sustainable excellence fund". And I have 4 tickets in 108. I'm just sick of getting different dates after different dates. Especially with something that could help recruiting in the transition class.

Now you get why housing in Boulder is through the roof! All of the time delay is based upon plan review by the dipsh*t planners in Boulder, who all need to justify their frigging jobs by red-lining and critiquuing every little detail of the plan. And that's on top of plan review by the University and the State.

Face it, if you started any project involving real estate today, its gonna take you 18 months to two years before you can turn your first shovel of dirt and that's without any changes to your plans.

I wish they would use design-build to get started sooner, though. This sounds like design-bid-build BS, which is old-fashioned and time-consuming. Its probably the politics of the construction companies that keeps the old ways in place: more money on Change Orders.

Last edited:
None of this is new news. We've known those details for weeks now, ever since the MM hire was announced.

As plati once said to klatt "you dont know 10 percent of whats going on". Relax everyone. Things are very far along. They do need more money if fans want us to look like oregon or even arizona but they have done a fantastic job of getting big donors to the table. People will be happy with the plan and timing for the most part. There will always be those who complain that CU should do more faster but the facts are we have a very tight fan base who isnt willing to pay what is needded. We depend on the same few hudred people to do all of it and that is why we are were we are. Winning will help but wont change it as has been shown before. Hang in there and you will be very happy with what bohn amd company have pulled off with very little to work with from the donation front.

As plati once said to klatt "you dont know 10 percent of whats going on". Relax everyone. Things are very far along. They do need more money if fans want us to look like oregon or even arizona but they have done a fantastic job of getting big donors to the table. People will be happy with the plan and timing for the most part. There will always be those who complain that CU should do more faster but the facts are we have a very tight fan base who isnt willing to pay what is needded. We depend on the same few hudred people to do all of it and that is why we are were we are. Winning will help but wont change it as has been shown before. Hang in there and you will be very happy with what bohn amd company have pulled off with very little to work with from the donation front.
I know it's chicken and egg, but I think most of us that "don't know 10% of what's going on" are just asking to hear a facilities plan which would in turn fuel donations. Bohn & CO seem to be going the opposite route of "give us donations and then we'll give details".

That said, I donated extra when they announced HCMM & facilities. They'll get more when I actually hear something real.

That's my big gripe. Not really the timing, just a lack of a unified message and a clear goal.

Which means worst case scenario. I'm still confident in a spring announcement.

When you get into the real world, you will see that large bureaucracies like CU have deadlines so they know how long they can deal with other sh**t until they have to get serious. It's why the fiscal cliff debate won't be settled until the 11th hour (if at all), and why CU has to hastily schedule a groundbreaking for the BBall facility days before Bzdelik's contract deadline. Nothing like this ever gets done early.

What I think is that they have a large commitment from one or more donors and could cover the remainder with loans but would like to reduce the amount needed through loans by maximizing donations. That is just my guess.

That's my big gripe. Not really the timing, just a lack of a unified message and a clear goal.

I agree. The current message is a clunker. It goes something like this:

"No public funding will be used. The boosters need to step up. We will announce something someday. Whatever it is, it may cost $200M or more. We'll let you know next Christmas. It might even break ground by December 2014. We have backed ourselves in a political corner due to a decade of being poor stewards of the once successful tradition and are backpedaling as fast as we can to patch things up. Didn't you see how we finally got religion and finally decided to pay market rates for a coach. In truth, we need the excuse of tightwad donors to save face. You told us in emails you would give, so "tag", you're it. So if you give a lot and surprise us, you'll get more something faster. If you give a little, it (whatever it may be) will take over ten years. Now go on to our website, step up, and write a check. We'll assume you won't to the degree that is needed, but whatever. "

It would be nice to have a campaign that is more concrete. Something like this:

Here is our vision.....
This is how much we need...
This is what you are asked to do...
We are tracking your pledges and donations at this web site. We are x% towards the stated goal.

"No public funding will be used. The boosters need to step up. We will announce something someday. Whatever it is, it may cost $200M or more. We'll let you know next Christmas. It might even break ground by December 2014. We have backed ourselves in a political corner due to a decade of being poor stewards of the once successful tradition and are backpedaling as fast as we can to patch things up. Didn't you see how we finally got religion and finally decided to pay market rates for a coach. In truth, we need the excuse of tightwad donors to save face. You told us in emails you would give, so "tag", you're it. So if you give a lot and surprise us, you'll get more something faster. If you give a little, it (whatever it may be) will take over ten years. Now go on to our website, step up, and write a check. We'll assume you won't to the degree that is needed, but whatever. "

Here is our vision.....
We are tracking your pledges and donations at this web site. We are x% towards the stated goal.
:rofl2: well done!

Now you get why housing in Boulder is through the roof! All of the time delay is based upon plan review by the dipsh*t planners in Boulder, who all need to justify their frigging jobs by red-lining and critiquuing every little detail of the plan. And that's on top of plan review by the University and the State.

Face it, if you started any project involving real estate today, its gonna take you 18 months to two years before you can turn your first shovel of dirt and that's without any changes to your plans.

I wish they would use design-build to get started sooner, though. This sounds like design-bid-build BS, which is old-fashioned and time-consuming. Its probably the politics of the construction companies that keeps the old ways in place: more money on Change Orders.

The school isnt held to the same planning and zoning approvals of the rest of the city.

Skirty I agree whole heartedly, the only thing I would say to fans is can we at least wait until Mac2.0 has assembled a staff before we go back to focusing on this? The school is closed for the holidays so outsid of MikeMac's work not much will move.

Here is our vision.....

I remember when they did something similar to this where we "virtually" filled up Folsom. $10 donations filled up 4 or so seats. We failed miserably on this and only "filled up" maybe 1/10th of the stadium

The City of Boulder has no say in how CU redesigns its football facilities. But good try.

Way too much speculation here. I doubt anyone here knows half, if that, of what is in place. Once again, the feasibility study is scheduled for completion in January.

That is utter BS. A real poor technique to belittle those who you are trying to get to donate. As others have said, there has been very poor stewardship under the present leadership (Bohn mostly in my opinion). And all we get is - give us money and trust us. In this case trust has to be earned because it has been violated so badly in the past. - Bohn - trust him because he is going to get us a BCS coach -

This lack of transparency and well defined-vision is very concerning. I have seen this type of thing over the years and it almost always ends badly. Lacking a plan and vision you are reduced to throwing money at the problem but you will not solve the underlying problems.

Congratulations, you just made my head explode.

I'll say this again, because it obviously hasn't sunk in with some folks on this board: The City of Boulder has absolutely zero say in what gets built on the CU campus. None. If CU wanted to build a 100 story skyscraper in the middle of the floodplain - they could do it and Boulder would be unable to stop it. If CU wanted to build a giant pole dancing pavillion, Boulder couldn't do a thing about it. CU is a state institution. It can do whatever the hell it wants to on it's campus. Boulder city planners can't do a damn thing about anything CU wants to build. Period. We need to get the idea that Boulder has some kind of say in what CU builds out of our collective minds because it simply isn't the case.

Here is our vision.....

What you're asking is for CU to move from the quiet phase to the public phase of the capital campaign before they're ready to do so. I'd be very surprised if they haven't shared their vision with big donors already. However, in light of the fact that they've come out publicly and stated that fans and supporters need to step up, they may as well go into the public phase right now. For all intents and purposes, that's where they are, so why not just get it over with already.

That is utter BS. A real poor technique to belittle those who you are trying to get to donate. As others have said, there has been very poor stewardship under the present leadership (Bohn mostly in my opinion). And all we get is - give us money and trust us. In this case trust has to be earned because it has been violated so badly in the past. - Bohn - trust him because he is going to get us a BCS coach -

This lack of transparency and well defined-vision is very concerning. I have seen this type of thing over the years and it almost always ends badly. Lacking a plan and vision you are reduced to throwing money at the problem but you will not solve the underlying problems.
Good post. I would like to add I am disappointed. They should have been working on this plan a long time ago.

Back