What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Facilities Plans...

Regent Jim Geddes - I like him.

Regent Jim Geddes wanted a stronger commitment from the CU-Boulder campus to directly subsidize the vision with general fund dollars.

“I am concerned that there is still uncertainty about when this project should begin, and I think this uncertainty should be removed immediately,” Geddes said.

This plan makes more sense with the IPF being near the locker rooms instead of down the hill and on the other side of the practice fields.

The only question that remains now is the timeline. Sounds like they need to raise about $47 million ($10mil already raised) to get construction started, but RG sounds confident that he can get the money raised by next summer. And once construction begins, then it will truly become a reality.

Like the plan, like the retail angle. They have a similar situation at UH where next to the new stadium there is a fan store, small upscale market for students and a restaurant. Also they should do the brick program. One of our favorite school is is doing it and they are selling like crazy. http://www.baylor.edu/stadiumbricks/

Not sure who made the earlier suggestion about selling bricks with the doners name engraved on it. But that's not a bad idea. I think a lot of alum & fans would fork over, say 250.00, to see their name on a sidewalk brick leading up to the new facilities. I've seen that done at another college before but don't remember which one it was.
This was done at Coors Field, not sure how much money they made. I did a similar fund raiser for the opening of my kids' new elementary school a year later, it was pretty easy, we charged $50 per brick but it engraved my kids' names on three bricks on the walkway into their elementary school forever. They still brag about it.

Only a 142 million and a 21,900 sq ft high performance area?

You guys did 18,700 sq ft for that, but 142,000 sq ft for all the "other" stuff? And with a building plan designed to make sure that Cal facilities would still be standing when the Big One turned California into a Pacific Island?

No wonder there are budget issues up there. How many friggin' Olympic Sports are you guys housing in there?

http://www.calhighperformance.com/content/index.asp?s=485

Regent Jim Geddes - I like him.

Regent Jim Geddes wanted a stronger commitment from the CU-Boulder campus to directly subsidize the vision with general fund dollars.

“I am concerned that there is still uncertainty about when this project should begin, and I think this uncertainty should be removed immediately,” Geddes said.

Jim Geddes is the Regent for Douglas County. I've emailed him a couple times and he's been absolutely great. He is a CU trained M.D.

Definitely an Allbuffs keeper. Ludwig is on our **** list now.

Jim Geddes is the Regent for Douglas County. I've emailed him a couple times and he's been absolutely great. He is a CU trained M.D.

Definitely an Allbuffs keeper. Ludwig is on our **** list now.

**** bailer
**** nub
**** Ludwig

You guys did 18,700 sq ft for that, but 142,000 sq ft for all the "other" stuff? And with a building plan designed to make sure that Cal facilities would still be standing when the Big One turned California into a Pacific Island?

No wonder there are budget issues up there. How many friggin' Olympic Sports are you guys housing in there?

http://www.calhighperformance.com/content/index.asp?s=485

Yeah, but I thought you guys would have more room for the high performance area? I think all our Olympic sports except swimming and track are there now. Swimming is getting a new complex of their own soon. We're Californians-we build now and worry about debt later. We're also selling football field naming rights to a corporate sponsor tomorrow so that should start a new "whoring out" trend that helps to pay the bills.

I thought you guys would have planned on and executed a bigger expansion and just rolled with it...

I honestly don't know if this plan is really good enough to compete with the rest of the Conference, but suppose it is better then no improvements at all.

I honestly don't know if this plan is really good enough to compete with the rest of the Conference, but suppose it is better then no improvements at all.
The simple answer is that it helps us catch up to what the rest of the conference has been doing for the last 10 years. We allowed the Big 12 to crush us in the facilities arms race only to wind up in another arms race in the PAC 12. This is just the beginning. Once completed, there will be another project, then another, and another, and on and on. We can not afford to ever stop upgrading our facilities.

Sell Folsom field naming rights for a cool 18 million to add to the pot and expand your facilities plan:

"Cal, as the university is known, has announced that Kabam, a video game maker, has been awarded naming rights to the field at California Memorial Stadium. Starting in 2014, the playing area will be known as Kabam Field for the next 15 years, at a cost to the mobile games maker of $18 million."

Of course you would then be known as the Hobbit Buffs...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/bits/2013/12/05/hobbits-come-to-berkeleys-football-field/?_r=0

The simple answer is that it helps us catch up to what the rest of the conference has been doing for the last 10 years. We allowed the Big 12 to crush us in the facilities arms race only to wind up in another arms race in the PAC 12. This is just the beginning. Once completed, there will be another project, then another, and another, and on and on. We can not afford to ever stop upgrading our facilities.

There's a law of diminishing returns with all this. I think people get too caught up in the "arms race" thing. CU should have nice facilities that show a commitment to winning and impress recruits versus what they'd see at smaller school programs. That's all we're trying to get to here. And it's being done in a sensible way that leverages certain advantages CU has such as the high performance training that occurs at our ideal altitude.

This isn't about becoming Oregon on training & locker room facilities or wanting to have a stadium capacity UCLA envies. We don't need that to compete with and beat those programs. But we also can't be in a position where we envy what Iowa State has and still compete for championships in the Pac-12. We need this project to get back to adequate. And, as you're saying, we have to commit to keeping things nice, buying new equipment, improving our stadium, etc. But I do think there's an end point to new facilities. I do believe that if you get to the point where you're saying you need to put a hot tub in your head coach's office because Oregon did that then you've jumped the shark and are spending money that's not relevant to having great coaches, great players, and great seasons.

Sell Folsom field naming rights for a cool 18 million to add to the pot and expand your facilities plan:

"Cal, as the university is known, has announced that Kabam, a video game maker, has been awarded naming rights to the field at California Memorial Stadium. Starting in 2014, the playing area will be known as Kabam Field for the next 15 years, at a cost to the mobile games maker of $18 million."

Of course you would then be known as the Hobbit Buffs...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/bits/2013/12/05/hobbits-come-to-berkeleys-football-field/?_r=0
Wasn't there talk with Frontier awhile back?

If we ever sell Folsom Fields naming rights I will **** bricks. I could see an Athletic complex naming rights but none for Folsom.

Maybe-I can't recall. We thought it might be Bank of the West or other companies with alums at the helm.

If we ever sell Folsom Fields naming rights I will **** bricks. I could see an Athletic complex naming rights but none for Folsom.

Name the stadium Folsom Stadium and sell then field name or the complex, etc. This will be the wave of the future IMO. Public schools need money for expansion.

Their financial issues make that a problem.

You know what I'd love to see and what would make a lot of sense right now?

Dish Network Stadium

Denver company. And they've actually picked up the Pac-12 Network. They may be interested in further leveraging this with a stadium naming in order to better position itself against DirecTV as the sports programming leader.

This plan is the vision that the CU AD needed. It also took a very important step of being inclusive of the entire University system. Incorporates CU Medical Center, focuses on academic services, takes care of non revenue sports, provides retail opportunities where the business school can become involved, brings the Engineering school to the party, focuses on the game day experience, takes care of donors with the new areas on the roof and use of the indoor practice facility for tailgating, creates numerous new revenue streams. RG and the group of 34 he has been working with have developed a comprehensive plan that focuses on the Brand and how to leverage it for the benefit of the entire Univeristy. Well done on all fronts.

Bank of the West Stadium imo
Probably not enough marketing budget to pull it off.

oh, and Kabam Field for Cal, lol. I hope they negotiated a cleaner exit from the naming rights than Houston did with Enron when the payments stop. They still had 'Enron Field' years after that implosion - what an embarrassment.

Looks like they are going "Design-Build." In this case, the architect will prepare a description of work to some level. That could be in the form of schematic drawings and/or specifications all the way down to a description of work. The higher the level of "description of work", the less risk and the better the price will be. To me, what they are doing is a "program" and not a "project." So, if they are breaking ground, so to speak, next summer, what project are they talking about? At first I was thinking stadium. But they won't start stadium upgrades in the summer. So, I'd bet the Dal Ward work. That would have the most immediate impact on recruiting. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

I also wonder how they are funding it. I'd assume the Dal Ward work would be in the $30 million range maybe? Don't know. Would they just get a loan or can they sell bonds? I mean, they only have $10 million in hand. They have to pay for some level of pre-design which, I assume, is happening right now. This will be interesting to watch.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but the most logical 1st project is the build out of the 4th floor of the stadium. That will add the extra space they need to move offices in, then they can start on the Dal Ward renovation. This will all take place while the new Grounds/IPF building is being built east of the Regent autopark. Once that building is complete, they will proceed with the demolition of the old Grounds/IPF building northeast of Folsom and start demo on the last two sections of the stadium that need rebuilt (121 & 122). The Grounds/IPF building was planned to be complete by December 2014, which would line up nicely to hit construction hard after next season. I would expect that the work next to the stadium would be completed first followed by the indoor practice facility and practice fields, which hopefully will all be done by the end of 2015. I don't expect it to be ready in time for the 2015 season though.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but the most logical 1st project is the build out of the 4th floor of the stadium. That will add the extra space they need to move offices in, then they can start on the Dal Ward renovation. This will all take place while the new Grounds/IPF building is being built east of the Regent autopark. Once that building is complete, they will proceed with the demolition of the old Grounds/IPF building northeast of Folsom and start demo on the last two sections of the stadium that need rebuilt (121 & 122). The Grounds/IPF building was planned to be complete by December 2014, which would line up nicely to hit construction hard after next season. I would expect that the work next to the stadium would be completed first followed by the indoor practice facility and practice fields, which hopefully will all be done by the end of 2015. I don't expect it to be ready in time for the 2015 season though.

I agree, phase 1 is the build out of the 4th floor. The next step could really be a number of things. They could renovate the south side of the stadium to allow retail to move in and provide revenue for the remainder of the project. They could, in theory, do dal ward at the same time. The NE endzone will be next, followed by the IPF.

Stadium build out, could be done by the end of next year. The NE expansion could be finished by the 2015 season and the IPF would be finished prior to the 2016 season. That is the timeline they are probably looking at, and would definitely give Mac some recruiting ammo for the next couple of years.

Back