What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Facility Construction Tour - Allbuffs Feature

so what do you see us using Balch for in the future. We no longer need a terrible track there. I don't know what potential there is.

I envision a large open concourse so the band can continue the tradition of stopping and playing below the west stands. I would imagine permanent concessions, multiple restroom facilities, and a satellite location for the team store. I would think it would include multiples types of seating (standard, club, suite) on multiple levels. It would also need to include a media level or two.

I liked some of the concepts from these ideas that was thrown around before bohn was fired.

20120825_123434_west_edited-1.jpg
20120825_123402_side1_edited-1_500.jpg

Last edited:
edit: so in the video they posted, they show a team store @1:45 in the video. Did they talk about it? It looks like it is supposed to be on the same floor as the weight room and locker room (and IPF)
Yes, this did get talked about. There will be a team store, as well as an official "Head Box Office" on the buff walk. The old ticket office will remain as a sattellite, but the AD will have an official front office in the stadium now. I got the impression this will all be part of the corner of the new facility that is next to the IPF, so it will be right next to the "grand entrance" to the campus from central boulder. Throw in the pregame tailgate party in the IPF, and I think you can expect a fair amount of business in the team store.

Yes, this did get talked about. There will be a team store, as well as an official "Head Box Office" on the buff walk. The old ticket office will remain as a sattellite, but the AD will have an official front office in the stadium now. I got the impression this will all be part of the corner of the new facility that is next to the IPF, so it will be right next to the "grand entrance" to the campus from central boulder. Throw in the pregame tailgate party in the IPF, and I think you can expect a fair amount of business in the team store.

I am sort of confused by the buff walk thing. Will the buses drop them off on colorado and then the player walk south to north or are they dropping them off in front of the "grand entrance" and having them enter the facility there? The way they have described it thus far hasn't been very clear.

I envision a large open concourse so the band can continue the tradition of stopping and playing below the west stands. I would imagine permanent concessions, multiple restroom facilities, and a satellite location for the team store. I would think it would include multiples types of seating (standard, club, suite) on multiple levels. It would also need to include a media level or two.

I liked some of the concepts from these ideas that was thrown around before bohn was fired.

20120825_123434_west_edited-1.jpg
20120825_123402_side1_edited-1_500.jpg

You would think they could do something a little more interesting and get rid of the bad seats in the corner like they did in the northeast corner. Lots of potential there.

You would think they could do something a little more interesting and get rid of the bad seats in the corner like they did in the northeast corner. Lots of potential there.

Ya, and I think they will. These were from a completely different design for Folsom. I would imagine things would be quite different once Populous got a hold of it.

Nice review of features and comparative pictures. Glad it was all well received. Nice work Dio. Rep to you. Egg

really nice stuff Buffs, well done.

thanks to Dio, Darth Snow, Duff Man, et. al for the report and pix.

...The med facility is going to put us at the top of parent's wish lists. Guaranteed. World class medicine directly above the playing field, how could you not want to send your kid here.
you might have drunk a little much kool-aid to make that guarantee -- if "world class medicine" is a needle mover in the recruiting decision, it stands to reason that the player (or his parents) would be more likely to choose a world class medical school?

Great work dio et al.! Thanks for all the insight and the tour.

There will be a team store, as well as an official "Head Box Office" on the buff walk.
but will there be an official Team Head Store? :canabis::smokin:

you might have drunk a little much kool-aid to make that guarantee -- if "world class medicine" is a needle mover in the recruiting decision, it stands to reason that the player (or his parents) would be more likely to choose a world class medical school?

Wrong, with the world that football revolves in now, concussions and injuries are king.

If a coaching staff can guarantee a kid will have better, faster, and more advanced medical attention, you can bet your ass a parent will look at that school a lot closer.

Mikemac can literally sell to parents that their kid will have world class, olympian level medical personnel monitoring their child at a drop of a dime.

Wrong, with the world that football revolves in now, concussions and injuries are king.

If a coaching staff can guarantee a kid will have better, faster, and more advanced medical attention, you can bet your ass a parent will look at that school a lot closer.

Mikemac can literally sell to parents that their kid will have world class, olympian level medical personnel monitoring their child at a drop of a dime.

1. literally
2. assuming I agree with everything you said after "wrong", explain why you think a player whose parents are that concerned about medical care would choose CU over UCLA, UW-West or Stanford because of these facilities.

edit: you don't have to respond unless you're really bored (or really passionate about this topic). I'm on the road, sitting a hotel, not drunk enough to avoid boredom, but not feeling like showing up at the customer's site hung over either (I haven't lived in Colorado long enough to adopt the Hunter S. Thompson approach to these matters).

Last edited:
This isn't a hospital guys, the focus is on high performance medicine and research. I'm sure the players can get their MRIs and such, but it isn't for general care like surgery and rehab.

Players would be interested in this for the cutting edge research
Sent from my Windows Phone

I really dig the Party Deck!

To me, a big part of college football is the distinct traditions and experiences associated with specific programs and this one screams "CU" to me. Between this, Ralphie, the Flatiron views and everything else, we aren't just keeping up with the joneses but we are keeping and enhancing the spirit of the program. Great stuff!

The thing I still can't get over is the size of it. We spent over an hour in there (obviously some standing and talking) and didn't even look around on every level. It is huge and awesome. When it gets close to completion near the end of summer, they want to set up a tour system where they can let waves of fans through to see everything so they can accommodate a lot more than just our small private tour.

A center dedicated to the science of athletic explosiveness, endurance, performance and injury prevention integrated with a college football facility? What a great recruiting tool. If that's available somewhere else, I am unaware. Most PAC 12 schools have a good med school. This is not being billed as just a medical clinic for the injured or a sports physiology program. This type of research facility has the potential to attract some very bright minds in athletic performance science. Having access to that kind of expertise is exciting to the recruit and the parent. But first and foremost, exciting to the athlete. Every kid wants to be an athletic freak. An Olympic style training and research facility offers that hope. Love this thread. Thanks guys. Great tour.

I don't think the sports medicine stuff is a huge advantage for recruiting, more of a nice perk to have.

I don't think the sports medicine stuff is a huge advantage for recruiting, more of a nice perk to have.
It is a nice perk to have, and it is nice that the revenue their leases brought in is helping to pay for the rest of the building. I think it has a lot more to do with making sure Boulder is seen as THE training mecca in the USA. This is for the cyclists, distance runners, triathletes, and other endurance athletes to give them another reason to make Boulder their training base. That should also attract the best doctors in the sports medicine field, which should attract even more athletes. The perk is that the football team will have immediate access to those doctors, but it isn't really something that is going to push them over the top with a ton of recruits.

Great stuff, guys! Thanks for sharing the insights.

lol, hokie's in love!
(duff didn't post in this thread until after this, but you left out wspy)

Fantastic report and the new facilities look awesome!

Couple questions for the mods...

Were you invited to the tour by the AD and, if so, do you think they are finally grasping the fact that this forum has some impact in promoting the university and the athletic department?

Were there other media involved in the tour and, if so, do you think they will start reporting moving the needle toward the positive side of the scale?

Why not create a major that would cater to athletes that would center around the sports medicine facility? I know we have "integrative physiology", but I'm thinking more along the lines of sports training/physical therapy. Something they could integrate into the new sports medicine facilities? Maybe we already have that, I don't know. That could be a great selling point to a recruit. "You love sports. Along with playing sports for CU, you can make sports a lifetime passion and profession." Something like that.

If athletes understand the concepts and this truly is a research based performance center and not merely a sports medicine clinic, I disagree, this is a recruiting advantage. I am no expert, but for instance. Fast twitch muscle fiber training based on glycogen content and lactic acid buildup guided by immediate real time testing in the gym, with workouts tailored to the results, is a modern frontier. Your levels are this number, stand on the vibration platform, your levels are that, you do explosive jump resistance exercises for 10 minutes. How to do the immediate testing that guides the workout after each excercise,as well as what the tests mean, are the major questions. Research on explosiveness training is more recent then endurance training and is a hot area. Electrical evaluation of opposition muscle groups with tailored workouts based on deficits is another area. Telling a recruit that they will have access to leading edge methods instituted by world famous researchers, and also to techniques and innovations that are not even known by the competition yet, is an advantage. The athletes are there because they want to excel and dominate. Parents and most athletes want this without steroids and HCG. Come to Colorado and you will get elite, world class training could be an influential pitch. If it just becomes a sports medicine clinic though, I agree: Mah, no big deal for recruiting.

If athletes understand the concepts and this truly is a research based performance center and not merely a sports medicine clinic, I disagree, this is a recruiting advantage. I am no expert, but for instance. Fast twitch muscle fiber training based on glycogen content and lactic acid buildup guided by immediate real time testing in the gym, with workouts tailored to the results, is a modern frontier. Your levels are this number, stand on the vibration platform, your levels are that, you do explosive jump resistance exercises for 10 minutes. How to do the immediate testing that guides the workout after each excercise,as well as what the tests mean, are the major questions. Research on explosiveness training is more recent then endurance training and is a hot area. Electrical evaluation of opposition muscle groups with tailored workouts based on deficits is another area. Telling a recruit that they will have access to leading edge methods instituted by world famous researchers, and also to techniques and innovations that are not even known by the competition yet, is an advantage. The athletes are there because they want to excel and dominate. Parents and most athletes want this without steroids and HCG. Come to Colorado and you will get elite, world class training could be an influential pitch. If it just becomes a sports medicine clinic though, I agree: Mah, no big deal for recruiting.
I think that Duff's point is probably a big picture view. Yeah, maybe a couple of kids will find what you are saying appealing, but, really, what they care about is being in a winning, high profile program.

What you say is true. My assumption is that we will shortly be a winning program and that these type of facilities help differentiate between CU and an ASU or Nebraska. Most of the D1 kids I know are very interested in performance workouts and are very discerning between different approaches. Is it a major over riding benefit, the quality of training? I'd put it as more important then slight variations in uniforms, not in drawing attention, but in what actually pushes a decision. The kids want to get to the NFL.

Back