What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NIL act passed - NCAA allows athletes to monetise their name, image, likeness

This "news" is a few days old, and sorry if it's covered in another thread, but wanted to mention Florida joined California and Colorado in passing a law on this. It sounds like the big difference in THEIR law is that it takes effect July 1, 2021, rather than in 2023 as CA's and CO's laws did.

From article linked to in above tweet:
"
Florida wasn’t the first state to introduce legislation that would allow college athletes to make money off their name, image and likeness. It wasn’t the first to pass a bill on the subject, either.

But when Gov. Ron DeSantis signed the state’s bill into law Friday at a ceremony at the University of Miami, it represented one of the biggest steps in a years-long nationwide movement to overhaul the NCAA’s amateur model.

Because the law takes effect July 1, 2021, about 18 months earlier than similar laws previously approved in California and Colorado, it puts pressure on a notoriously slow-moving organization to act quickly on the issue.
"

So even when Florida tries to do the right thing, they’re dicks about it.

Don't know enough about the subject to know if this is the best thread for this or not, but ....

"
The U.S. Supreme Court agreed Wednesday to take up the NCAA's appeal of a lower court decision that loosened the limits on compensation given to student athletes.

A federal appeals court ruled in May that the NCAA's limits on education-related benefits — such as computers, musical instruments or postgraduate scholarships — violated anti-trust laws. The ruling was a victory for current and former athletes in Division I basketball and the Football Bowl Subdivision, led by former West Virginia University running back Shawne Alston.

The justices also agreed to hear a similar case involving the Power Five athletic conferences — the Big Ten, Southeastern, Atlantic Coast, Big 12 and Pac-12.
"

Don't know enough about the subject to know if this is the best thread for this or not, but ....

"
The U.S. Supreme Court agreed Wednesday to take up the NCAA's appeal of a lower court decision that loosened the limits on compensation given to student athletes.

A federal appeals court ruled in May that the NCAA's limits on education-related benefits — such as computers, musical instruments or postgraduate scholarships — violated anti-trust laws. The ruling was a victory for current and former athletes in Division I basketball and the Football Bowl Subdivision, led by former West Virginia University running back Shawne Alston.

The justices also agreed to hear a similar case involving the Power Five athletic conferences — the Big Ten, Southeastern, Atlantic Coast, Big 12 and Pac-12.
"

oh no fire GIF

So not much has been talked about this July 1st date when athletes attending school in 6 states (Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, New Mexico and Texas) will theoretically be able to profit on their NIL and accept endorsement deals. That's 2 weeks from today where 7 SEC programs, 4 Big 12 programs, and 3 ACC programs, not to mention UCF, USF, Houston, SMU, and other G5/FCS programs can start allowing their athletes to get paid.

Arizona goes into affect on 7/23/21 while California and Colorado are waiting until 1/1/23 (along with other states).

The NCAA can file a lawsuit against the states and request an injunction to delay the implementation of the law, but how has this not gotten more coverage? Complete game changer for recruiting

So not much has been talked about this July 1st date when athletes attending school in 6 states (Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, New Mexico and Texas) will theoretically be able to profit on their NIL and accept endorsement deals. That's 2 weeks from today where 7 SEC programs, 4 Big 12 programs, and 3 ACC programs, not to mention UCF, USF, Houston, SMU, and other G5/FCS programs can start allowing their athletes to get paid.

Arizona goes into affect on 7/23/21 while California and Colorado are waiting until 1/1/23 (along with other states).

The NCAA can file a lawsuit against the states and request an injunction to delay the implementation of the law, but how has this not gotten more coverage? Complete game changer for recruiting
Two weeks seems like plenty of time for federal court.

#DonMcGahn

So does this make the effective dates of individual states irrelevant now? I don’t think Colorado’s goes into effect until 2022?

Hopefully this doesn’t become like professional sports where I end up unfollowing them all because they just tweet out promotions all the damn time, but I have a feeling that’s how it’s going to end up.

Hopefully this doesn’t become like professional sports where I end up unfollowing them all because they just tweet out promotions all the damn time, but I have a feeling that’s how it’s going to end up.

Because there are only 5 states with laws that go into effect on 7/1
There are more but the key point is that universities in states where there are no laws get to write their own guidelines.

Athletes on those states can earn money tomorrow just like states where their are laws.

When will we see CU’s guidelines? Who will be first athlete with a deal? And when?

Because there are only 5 states with laws that go into effect on 7/1
Most states do not have a law concerning amateur status. The NCAA did the right thing given the circumstances to keep it as fair as they can.

I was watching the news where they were interviewing Jeremy Bloom about this. It occurred to me that the NCAA ****ed with the wrong guy. Had the NCAA just been reasonable, decent human beings with Bloom, they’d have their precious exemption today.

Most states do not have a law concerning amateur status. The NCAA did the right thing given the circumstances to keep it as fair as they can.
After the Alston ruling, the NCAA is scared to death. They basically violated anti-trust provisions for many, many years. They got their asses handed to them 9-0. And SCOTUS warned them to be very careful going forward.

Going to be fun to see all those deals announced tomorrow.
NIL deals rolling on.

20K to King. NFT as well. Whoa. .

Females with large social accounts are going to win big in early days.

Jackson State players cashing it. It’s not just D1.

Get on this Buffs. Massive change.

NIL deals rolling on.

20K to King. NFT as well. Whoa. .

Females with large social accounts are going to win big in early days.

Jackson State players cashing it. It’s not just D1.

Get on this Buffs. Massive change.
The state legislature will need to move up the effective date. Pretty sure CO and CA are 7/1 of 2023

The state legislature will need to move up the effective date. Pretty sure CO and CA are 7/1 of 2023
I read the law last night. I think CU is better off writing their own guidelines. They should be published today. Buffs should be signing deals this week.

I read the law last night. I think CU is better off writing their own guidelines. They should be published today. Buffs should be signing deals this week.
Again, how can they do this on their own when CO has already passed legislation that says it doesn't go into effect until 2023?

Again, how can they do this on their own when CO has already passed legislation that says it doesn't go into effect until 2023?
The NCAA guidelines allow universities in states that have not passed laws or whose laws go into effect at a later date to write their own guidelines. (McCann). It would not be fair for some universities to have their athletes and others not have it.

A poster on another site says Polis enacted it eve rice today. I can’t find that.

Some governors have just done Exe university orders.

The NCAA passed some rules yesterday that allows all states to do this. It’s never been illegal. Just against NCAA rules. This is why states passed legislation. The went above the NCAA.

The NCAA guidelines allow universities in states that have not passed laws or whose laws go into effect at a later date to write their own guidelines. (McCann). It would not be fair for some universities to have their athletes and others not have it.

A poster on another site says Polis enacted it eve rice today. I can’t find that.

Some governors have just done Exe university orders.
Thank you. That was my original question yesterday. I thought the CO legislation was already in place for 2023, which is why I didn't think CU would be able to write their own rules. This makes more sense.

Thank you. That was my original question yesterday. I thought the CO legislation was already in place for 2023, which is why I didn't think CU would be able to write their own rules. This makes more sense.
Fluid situation indeed.

Seems like a good time to be a lawyer/tax accountant/financial adviser for these kids and help them handle their finances. Lots of money will be coming in.

Back