What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Fairbanks v Hawkins.

Me, three. 82-42 was awful, but the game did have its moments (Hell, we scored 42 points!). Losing to Drake that season, at home, though, was on par with the Montana State loss ....

We lost to Drake twice after Fairbanks gauranteed we would beat Drake.

As evidenced by?

Hawk doesn't give a **** about this team. If he did he would step aside realizing he was WAY OVER HIS HEAD. Instead he continues to drag down this school and these kids. The only thing he is worried about now is collecting his million dollars we owe him

Hawk doesn't give a **** about this team. If he did he would step aside realizing he was WAY OVER HIS HEAD. Instead he continues to drag down this school and these kids. The only thing he is worried about now is collecting his million dollars we owe him

I disagree and think Hawk is a good guy and thinks he can turn this around. And he wants to. He's wrong though, and is the wrong guy for the job. Too bad, honestly, 'cause it'd be nice to have a competent guy that would sell out like Coach Hawk as coach at cu.

I disagree and think Hawk is a good guy and thinks he can turn this around. And he wants to. He's wrong though, and is the wrong guy for the job. Too bad, honestly, 'cause it'd be nice to have a competent guy that would sell out like Coach Hawk as coach at cu.

My dad is a good guy but he's no football coach and neither is hawk, least not at this level. He made this mess and has earned every critical and negative remarks. It's amazing fans still show up like they do.

Bumped for sacky.

I never saw this thread. Good discussion, though.

I'm honestly torn on the subject. I see a lot of similarities between the two. The most obvious one is the fact that neither one of them would/will take any personal responsibility for their team's lack of success. It's always somebody or something elses fault.

I never saw this thread. Good discussion, though.

I'm honestly torn on the subject. I see a lot of similarities between the two. The most obvious one is the fact that neither one of them would/will take any personal responsibility for their team's lack of success. It's always somebody or something elses fault.
Please. I hear people all the time say "If Hawkins would take responsibility, I would respect him more"
Please. Thats the biggest load of **** I've ever heard. Hawk will never do anything to change your mind Sacky. You've already made your mind up a long time ago. Nothing Hawkins says in a presser would change that.

Please. I hear people all the time say "If Hawkins would take responsibility, I would respect him more"
Please. Thats the biggest load of **** I've ever heard. Hawk will never do anything to change your mind Sacky. You've already made your mind up a long time ago. Nothing Hawkins says in a presser would change that.

I never said it would. I said there's a lot of similarities between Hawkins and Fairbanks, the biggest of which is their refusal to take any personal responsibility for their team's lack of success. This is a discussion of Fairbanks and Hawkins.

I never said it would. I said there's a lot of similarities between Hawkins and Fairbanks, the biggest of which is their refusal to take any personal responsibility for their team's lack of success. This is a discussion of Fairbanks and Hawkins.
So if it wouldn't, why do you keep on talking about it? I really don't think you can judge a coach by what he says in his press conferences, but go right ahead if you want to.

Because a coach getting fired from college football and a family losing their homes to foreclosure are comparable right? :lol:

BTW- Just about every head coach in college football is an ego maniac.:lol:

Granted I wasn't living on this planet during the Fairbanks era, but based on the stories I've heard about Chuck, I'm giving the lean to Hawkins. Sure, Chuck didn't give a **** about CU football and effectively put the program at rock bottom (even more so than Hawkins). However, Chuck knew it. He knew he sucked, he knew wasn't going to be successful at CU. He just didn't care. Hawk on the other hand, is lost in his own delusional world. He thinks he is a good coach surrounded by excellent assistants (especially ones that could "clinic" other coaches). He thinks he can still win. He thinks Zen sayings make a night and day difference. He thinks he rebuilt a program that "was burned to the ground". But when he loses, and often, he thinks he was "one play away" every ****ing time and takes no responsibility. **** that. He belongs in an asylum and he doesn't know it. That's the difference between and Dan & Chuck - one was sane and the other isn't.

Granted I wasn't living on this planet during the Fairbanks era, but based on the stories I've heard about Chuck, I'm giving the lean to Hawkins. Sure, Chuck didn't give a **** about CU football and effectively put the program at rock bottom (even more so than Hawkins). However, Chuck knew it. He knew he sucked, he knew wasn't going to be successful at CU. He just didn't care. Hawk on the other hand, is lost in his own delusional world. He thinks he is a good coach surrounded by excellent assistants (especially ones that could "clinic" other coaches). He thinks he can still win. He thinks Zen sayings make a night and day difference. He thinks he rebuilt a program that "was burned to the ground". But when he loses, and often, he thinks he was "one play away" every ****ing time and takes no responsibility. **** that. He belongs in an asylum and he doesn't know it. That's the difference between and Dan & Chuck - one was sane and the other isn't.

That's another way to look at it.

This is a discussion of Fairbanks and Hawkins, but I'd like to put in my 2 cents from Arkansas. One huge reason I hated Houston Nutt was his refusal to accept responsibility. It was never "I called a bad play," "I didn't have my team ready," etc... it was always "so and so has to execute" or "it's on the position coach"... it was always someone else's fault. If something good happened he always took the credit... once in response to a reporter asking about a play we scored a TD on... Nutt's response with a big ****eating grin on his face "I called that play brutha... I've called lots of good plays." It was sickening. Had he actually taken responsibility for poor showings, I would have at least had respect for the man. Hawk = Nutt in this regard. It's refreshing to have Petrino who will and has accepted personal responsibility for his failures.

They are both bad. It is kind of like do you want to be shot or hung. Quit the crap with "Hawkins is a nice guy" - the guy is a total frickin' jerk. Too many first hand stories to tell but he is not a great guy...I would not loan him my lawnmower.

Hawkins is worst because he has hung around longer. Mike Bohn is responsible for this mess...In my time CU has only fired 2 coaches...Bill Mallory and Gary Barnett. Mallory was 35-21-1 in 5 years, won a Big 8 co-championship. Barnett was 49-38 and won the Big 12 championship. That CU has kept Hawkins for 5 years is the real travesty. CU was not burnt to the ground when he got here but it is a lot closer now.

This is a discussion of Fairbanks and Hawkins, but I'd like to put in my 2 cents from Arkansas. One huge reason I hated Houston Nutt was his refusal to accept responsibility. It was never "I called a bad play," "I didn't have my team ready," etc... it was always "so and so has to execute" or "it's on the position coach"... it was always someone else's fault. If something good happened he always took the credit... once in response to a reporter asking about a play we scored a TD on... Nutt's response with a big ****eating grin on his face "I called that play brutha... I've called lots of good plays." It was sickening. Had he actually taken responsibility for poor showings, I would have at least had respect for the man. Hawk = Nutt in this regard. It's refreshing to have Petrino who will and has accepted personal responsibility for his failures.

Two things. Hawk and Nutt are both from BSU. Take that as whatever you want it. :lol:

And Petrino is a huge douchebag. The only difference between him and Hawk is Petring is winning. The way he left Atlanta was an absolute joke. Here's a recent article on Petrino:

This article is from Oct. 24, 2010.
Ashley Fox: Bengals' Zimmer still simmering over Petrino's exit from Falcons

By Ashley Fox
Inquirer NFL columnist

Mike Zimmer has not forgotten. Nearly three years have passed since Zimmer was defensive coordinator of the Atlanta Falcons and Bobby Petrino abruptly quit as the team's head coach with three games remaining in the season. But the scars remain.
Last week, as the Cincinnati Bengals prepared to play at Atlanta on Sunday, Zimmer, now the Bengals' defensive coordinator, ripped Petrino for walking out on the then-3-10 Falcons in 2007 to become head coach at the University of Arkansas.

"I was never even there, as far as I am concerned," Zimmer said, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Zimmer called Petrino, who did not tell his coaching staff he was leaving, a variety of unpleasant and vulgar names. The Falcons, who were reeling after Michael Vick was convicted of running a dogfighting operation, finished the 2007 season 4-12.

"When a coach quits in the middle of the year and ruins a bunch of people's families and doesn't have enough guts to at least finish out the year, I am not a part of that. You can put that in the Arkansas News-Gazette. I don't really give a [expletive]. He is a coward. Put that in quotes."

The day after the Falcons lost to New Orleans by 20 points on a Monday night, Petrino was introduced in Fayetteville, Ark., as the Razorbacks' new coach.

"He came in and said he resigned, he would talk to us all at a later date, walked out of the office, and no one has ever talked to him since - not that anybody wanted to," Zimmer said. "He's a gutless [expletive]. Quote that. I don't give a [expletive]."

It was a spectacular outburst from a well-respected defensive coordinator and shows how raw emotions remain over Petrino's untimely departure from the Falcons.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/spor...etrino_s_exit_from_Falcons.html#ixzz13LQbdNW3
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Last edited:
Hawkins is worst because he has hung around longer. Mike Bohn is responsible for this mess...In my time CU has only fired 2 coaches...Bill Mallory and Gary Barnett. Barnett was 49-38 and won the Big 12 championship. That CU has kept Hawkins for 5 years is the real travesty. CU was not burnt to the ground when he got here but it is a lot closer now.

Hawkins being around for 5 years has some legitimate excuses to it, in my opinion. First season for the new coach is usually completely excusable, although losses to Montana St. and CSU should certainly have been a big red flag when moving forward. Either way, you aren't going to fire a coach after that. One year gone, whatever. Our second year we showed vast improvement, beat the #3 team in the nation with a nice inspired comeback. Then we had a couple of bad bad losses, but ended the season with ass-stomping Nebraska to become bowl eligible. We looked lost in the first half of the bowl game, but ended up making a game of it against an historic program with a great coach and some serious talent. Followed that up with pulling in a top 20 recruiting class and landed the #1 running back in the nation (who didn't pan out, but who would have guessed..).

Two years gone and most fans are very positive on the program and we look to be headed to where we want to go. Season three we start out 3-1 with a good margin of victory over CSU, a bad close win versus Eastern Wash and a lucky win versus West Vagina. This is where is all goes to hell. We extend Hawkins prematurely and toss a scholly to our new kicker who still hadn't proved ****. This season quickly goes to hell with some horrible losses and tons of excuses in the form of injuries. The season was written off as an unlucky year because of so many injuries so we ate the 5-7 record and still thought we were improving.

Three years gone. Fourth season is disaster and it comes at the worst time where politics had to play a role so we couldn't (maybe) fire Hawkins and now here we are. Yes, he shouldn't have made it 5 years here, but I can see and understand how and why it happened.

So if it wouldn't, why do you keep on talking about it? I really don't think you can judge a coach by what he says in his press conferences, but go right ahead if you want to.

Because a coach getting fired from college football and a family losing their homes to foreclosure are comparable right? :lol:

BTW- Just about every head coach in college football is an ego maniac.:lol:

C'mon, Valdez. Read what I'm saying here. Don't turn this into something it's not. You're changing the subject.

+1

To put this into a real world perspective, if you were failing at your job, would you say "I'm hurting my company and can no longer take their money", and resign? Extremely doubtful, I think he's trying to figure out a way to turn this around as unrealistic as that may be.

I'm beginning to think comparing Talkins to Fairbanks is really unfair to Fairbanks. Never did I ever think we would ever have a coach comparably bad or worse than Fairbanks.

Depressing.

It's depressing that we're even having this discussion, frankly. Fairbanks set the gold standard for coaching ineptitude, and we're actually wondering if we've found somebody worse.

I'm coming around to the idea that Hawkins is actually worse. Fairbanks was a jackass of the highest degree, but he had the decency to get out of here after three years and let somebody else clean up his mess. Hawkins, if given the option, would stay here forever.

It's depressing that we're even having this discussion, frankly. Fairbanks set the gold standard for coaching ineptitude, and we're actually wondering if we've found somebody worse.

I'm coming around to the idea that Hawkins is actually worse. Fairbanks was a jackass of the highest degree, but he had the decency to get out of here after three years and let somebody else clean up his mess. Hawkins, if given the option, would stay here forever.

He was hired by the NJ Generals of the USFL away from CU (thank god), if not I'm sure he would've stayed on. He was a greedy mother ****er too.

It really does not matter. You can rank them 1 or 2 and change their positions either way. They both will go down as being the worst to ever walk the side lines in Boulder. They were both bad for their own reasons. Bottom Line.

Back