What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Fall Camp Notes

RSSBot

News Junkie
By Stuart

[h=3]Fall Camp Notes[/h]—
August 4, 2015
Buffs report to Fall Camp
Press release from cubuffs.com … While practice begins Wednesday for the Colorado Buffaloes, the never-ending educational process for players ramped back up full speed on Tuesday.
Players reported for a team meeting at 7:30 a.m. that included visits from university officials, representatives of the campus and Boulder police departments and District Attorney Stan Garnett; plus an hour-long media training session. Evening meetings included updates on equipment policies, sports medicine, academic updates, a session on team policies and the team behavior contract, and even some basic financial training.
The day was long but the message was simple: Colorado football players are public figures and will be held to a high standard as representatives of their university.
“We truly believe we should always be building the person, not just the player,” head coach Mike MacIntyre said. “We want to teach them life skills, not just football. That’s what coaching really is.”
Tuesday’s training covered topics ranging from public behavior to social media.
“We want them to realize they are public figures,” MacIntyre said. “We want them to know what’s expected of them and what they represent.”
Practice begins Wednesday morning with an 8:35 a.m. session that will be open to the media and public. Other camp practices open to the public will be Thursday (8:35 a.m.), Friday (8:35 a.m.), Saturday (7:35 p.m.), Aug. 15 (8:35 a.m.) and Aug. 21 (8:50 a.m.)
Two-a-day practices begin Aug. 11, with the Buffs scheduled to have five days with two full practices. Most other days will include either an evening or morning walk-through.
The Buffs open the season Sept. 3 (Thursday) with an 11 p.m. game vs. Hawai’i at Aloha Stadium (7 p.m. Hawai’i time). The game will be televised nationally on the CBS Sports Network.
—-
Nelson Spruce featured in Mile High Sports magazine article
From Mile High Sports … Yet despite a history of producing excellent pass catchers like Clifford Branch, Charles Johnson, and Michael Westbrook, only Rae Carruth in 1996 was even a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award.
Nelson Spruce aims to change all that. A semi-finalist last season, the CU senior enters the year a consensus choice for pre-season All-Pac-12 honors and an early nominee for the Biletnikoff Award. Spruce burst onto the national scene last September with a huge performance in the Rocky Mountain Showdown, which was just a precursor of things to come. After snaring seven passes (several of the acrobatic variety) for 104 yards and a pair of touchdowns against Colorado State, the native of Westlake Village, Calif. completed the season with a spectacular 106 receptions for 1,198 yards and 12 touchdowns. Not just a “possession” receiver, Spruce has had TD catches of 71, 70, 66 and 62 yards during his career.
“I don’t think the term ‘possession receiver’ is necessarily a bad thing,” Spruce acknowledged prior to the start of fall camp. “It’s something I’m actually kind of proud of, my ability to make the tough catch and move the chains when I have to. But what I’ve been working on this offseason is my down the field speed and explosion and being able to make bigger plays.
“I’m not really worried about topping last season statistically,” he added. “Obviously I’m going to get more attention from defenses. Last season I came in more under the radar. So it’s just about making the plays when my number is called. What I’ve been working on is being more of a leader, bringing some of the younger guys along to help us win.”
Continue reading story here
—-
“Buffalo Stance: The Case for Colorado”
From Grantland … When is it impossible to cheer for a football team that plays in a great college town, in a stadium with stellar views, in games featuring a live buffalo mascot? When it’s recent-vintage Colorado, a team that occasionally has seemed to be working actively to discourage any remaining adherents. The Buffaloes have lately suffered the dual misfortunes of being bad and unlucky, all while eating fumes as they cling to the back of the rocket sled of the ascendant Pac-12. To say third-year head coach Mike MacIntyre inherited bare cupboards in 2013 would be to mistakenly imply that he had cupboards.
But when is a bet on a team that finished the 2014 season at 2-10 a good bet? When it’s the 2015 Colorado Buffaloes, and when you look very, very closely. A team picked to place last in its division in 2015, in a not-particularly-close vote? A program that hasn’t been to a bowl since the 2007 season, hasn’t finished a campaign with a winning record since 2005, hasn’t won a postseason game since the 2004 Houston Bowl? They’re not as far away from respectability as they might appear, and “respectable” is a lofty goal in today’s Pac-12.
Continue reading story here
—–
Other articles …
– Neill Woelk*recaps the Pac-12 Media Days … “Six Pac-12 Takeaways and What*They*Mean to the Buffs
–*Athlon allowing*Pac-12 coaches to speak anonymously about*each other’s teams … Colorado:
“I know ‘almost’ doesn’t mean much in this business, but they lost three or four conference games almost on the final play. They were a little better than their record.”
“I don’t think there’s a tougher rebuilding job in the country when you think about how far down they were coming into the Pac-12 and all the sudden everyone else in the division has it rolling a little bit.”
“They’re doing the right things to get on a level playing field from a facility standpoint, and they’re getting better. It’s just hard to get the momentum going until you start winning games.”
“You’re just not going to win very much giving up as many yards as they did in the running game (204.8 ypg) and not creating turnovers or sacks.”
“I think it’s pretty simple. If they don’t get better up front with the schedule they play, they might struggle to win a game in the league.”
“They’re maturing on offense. Sefo (Liufau) has a lot of snaps under his belt, and if he can be a little more consistent in his decision-making he can be really effective before it’s all said and done.”
“(Nelson) Spruce is just a fantastic route-runner. I was a little surprised he didn’t put his name in the draft after blowing up last year, but I’m not sure if the NFL guys are sold on him because of his (lack of) speed.”
“With what they’ve got coming back in the running game, I think their offense is going to be a net-plus.”
—–

Originally posted by CU At the Game
Click here to vie

Back