What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Fan support, Hawk style...

leftybuff

Unreconstructed Luddite
Club Member
As the average fan, I never want to cheer too loudly, or too softly, I want have a relaxed focus on the game. You just can't get excited about a good play or down because of a bad play.

When it comes to buying tickets, you know, I just have to take care of some little things, clean up some of the mistakes and tweak it, and I'll be there to buy tickets. You can't get all wrapped up in whether I bought a ticket to this game or that game, or whether I showed up for the bowl game, it's all about building a foundation for future ticket buying and future support of the program.

Nobody wants a guy who's just a fan. You want to excel in everything. You set the standard on even the little things, and the rest will follow. So, I've really put a premium on things like making sure my yard is properly edged and mowed, because if you do the little things like that, one day it's all going to come together and I'll be a season ticket holder. You either are striving to contribute to the program or you are not, I want to work like that. One day, I'll be a contributer to the program, I just have to get my horns out, bring my lunchpail to work, and one day I'll be the kind of fan who buys season tickets, I just have to keep punching and then I'll be there.

All this internet talk about going to every game, or being a season ticket holder, or contributing to the program is just that...talk. I mean, are any of you guys out there with me 18 hours a day? Do you know how I feel? Do you know whether I'm healthy and ready to buy those tickets? Sure you can say "Get out there and buy those tickets" but you really don't know. How many tickets has Joel Klatt bought anyway?

I'm not going to dictate to anybody how those tickets get bought, or who is going to support the program this way or that. There might be some times where I put my foot down and say, "Hey, we're going to watch this game...if it's on TV" but usually, I just get out of the way and let the other fans be fans.

I just need to settle in, do the right things and those tickets will come. I bought tickets 80% of the time when Mac was here, and these aren't my father's Buffs. It took some Mizzou fans seven years to get season tickets under Pinkel, I just need to stay the course.

Last edited:
:lol: That was great Lefty. You forgot to mention keeping the family happy, loving the wife and kids. Having good performance reviews at work. And the volunteer services you do in your free time.

It's all going to come together someday. Your doing everything right. Just ask Bohn, or some of the CU faculty.

All I am looking for is people with the right character. Those people will work hard and become the fans that carry our fan base to excellence.

My system is to use schedule groupings for my tickets. I don't rate one ticket for one game over an other ticket for an other game. Any one of my tickets have something to contribute depending on the situation. It's a judgement call. Stuff happens in ticket ownership and sometimes a ticket leaves the wallet or gets dinged up and you are not going to have the ticket you'll need to get into the game. Sometimes I'll bench my best ticket and start out with an other ticket that appears more ready to get me in that gate.

I was going to buy tickets, but then I couldn't. But then I could, so I called the ticket office. They told me there was a problem, so I didn't buy them. Then the ticket office called me back and said everything was OK. But then I had some other issues to deal with, so I couldn't buy at that time. Eventually, those issues worked themselves out, through the vigorous efforts at calling a community college I had attended. Eventually it turned out that I had to wait until one week prior to the season to buy the ticket, at which time my seating choices were limited and my effectiveness as a fan hadn't reached it's full potential. I ended up buying the tickets, but I'm not much of a contributor.

I tried to get tickets over the phone, but only Scotty McKnight could process my order, and he wasn't available.

I was approached by many other teams and widely considered to be the best fan in the nation in my particular seating section; however, my allegiance remains as strong as ever with the buffs. Last season my fanhood was not 100% as my confidence was so high in my abilty to support my team that I allowed my offseason support to be somewhat lackadaisical (sp?). This year however is a new year. Even though my uncle, a big donor last year to the Buff program, decided to jump ship and switch allegiance to the Pac-10, I remain as focused and my fanhood has never been better. In the offseason, I became a member of allbuffs. I worked hard to ensure that I got all the offseason information I could, I believed in the system, and I knew I would make an impact as a fan this season due to my offseason dedication.

I came in to this season as confident as ever and spread the news that this is the year for the buffs; and it carried over, everybody knew that with all the time I spent in the offseason, I must know what Im talking about. Then, finally, Sunday comes, everybody believes that I will be the loudest fan in that stadium...hell, i might even streak through the band at halftime wearing nothing but CU facepaint...I get to the gate with my ticket, ready to go...and Dan Hawkins himself meets me at the gate and informs me that I can come in but only to buy concessions and a program and then I must leave. I am as disappointed as ever and ask myself, did I not try hard enough? Is it my character in question and not my abilities to contribute as a fan?

I then test my fanhood by approaching a CSU fan and say "Go Buffs". He replied with, "bbbAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH," and I punched him in the mouth. Turns out, I am one of the biggest fans of this team and will travel to the game in Toledo. But, if Dan Hawkins meets me at the gate again and sends me away...I may just join my uncle a start fresh with a new team.

I realize that my family was overconfident and not prepared to fan at its best; but after a 5-7 supporting level last year we felt we were ready to out fan the other fans this year. I have put my family into cheer groups and feel that with a few little changes will be back to the best fans for the Toledo Game.

I'm keeping it a secret from everyone which game I'll be going to this year: Wyoming or Nebraska. No one will know until the day of the Wyoming game and it's really close right now. I know I said I was going to smash through the ticket lines this year to get off to a good start for my seat, but hey that line was really imposing and I had to switch up the game plan when the line was a little longer than I expected. I even had to abandon my friend, who is the most athletic person I know and I was planning on using to help smash through the line. When I go to the bathroom, I always remind myself I have to be the bow not the arrow. You never want peaks or valleys either so I remain stoic no matter what happens to the Buffs. No cheering when we score TDs, no booing when the coach's son goes 0 for his first 10 and we only have a freshman walk-on to replace him, and for sure no damn singing of Fight CU at any time. That's for those foolish passionate fans of programs like Texas and USC.

Pre Season:
My tail gates are going to be the best ever. All my friends have been hearing that my tail gate parties are a perfect 10. There's no excuse for anyone to attend an other tail gate celebration. We're primed to make a run at the best gater on the North side of Farrand.

Game Day Shopping:
Both hamburgers and brats are competing for top billing on the grill. But BBQ ribs have made quite an impression during the summer grilling season. Oh no, the lots open in 3 hours...

The natty light goes well with the burgers. Some Buffalo Gold would also taste good. Both beers will be placed in the same beverage grouping. But if BBQ ribs are served, then mixed drinks are in order. I wonder if the rum gun has been cleaned.

Albertsons ground chuck is too expensive so turkey franks will have to do. Aaagh. I forgot to pack ice for the cooler and the propane tank is empty.

Time to get dressed. I'm not picking out my stadium attire until after the car is packed for the game. That makes good drama, doesn't it. Crap. My jersey has a rip and the "Ram This" t-shirt no longer covers my gut.

But that's okay. Once I take care of the little things, I'll have the best tailgate on campus. I did pay for a parking pass, didn't I?

Post Game:
Those visiting tail gaters sure looked like they were having a good time. They looked ready to tailgate.

Reactions: dio
Pre Season:
My tail gates are going to be the best ever. All my friends have been hearing that my tail gate parties are a perfect 10. There's no excuse for anyone to attend an other tail gate celebration. We're primed to make a run at the best gater on the North side of Farrand.

Game Day Shopping:
Both hamburgers and brats are competing for top billing on the grill. But BBQ ribs have made quite an impression during the summer grilling season. Oh no, the lots open in 3 hours...

The natty light goes well with the burgers. Some Buffalo Gold would also taste good. Both beers will be placed in the same beverage grouping. But if BBQ ribs are served, then mixed drinks are in order. I wonder if the rum gun has been cleaned.

Albertsons ground chuck is too expensive so turkey franks will have to do. Aaagh. I forgot to pack ice for the cooler and the propane tank is empty.

Time to get dressed. I'm not picking out my stadium attire until after the car is packed for the game. That makes good drama, doesn't it. Crap. My jersey has a rip and the "Ram This" t-shirt no longer covers my gut.

But that's okay. Once I take care of the little things, I'll have the best tailgate on campus. I did pay for a parking pass, didn't I?

Post Game:
Those visiting tail gaters sure looked like they were having a good time. They looked ready to tailgate.

:lol:

Some kids with Buff jerseys on -- No. 9 and No. 2, I think -- keep showing up at my door, wanting me to take them to a game.

But, if I end up purchasing those ducats... let's just say I reserved all my tickets under my son's name.

Back