What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Favorite Final 4 Team that didn't win it all.

1998 Utes.

One of my favorite games was Utah ripping out Arizona's heart in the regional final. Nobody gave them a chance in that game, and they destoyed the Wildcats, who returned everyone from their 1997 championship team. Then they took out a loaded Carolina (Antawn Jamison, Vince Carter) in the semis and gave Kentucky everything they had in the title game. They did all of that after losing Keith Van Horn to the NBA after the previous season.

Phi Slamma Jamma, I was a little too young to see them much but found out plenty about them as I got older. Damn, they were loaded. More in my age bracket would be the UNLV teams. Larry Johnson didn't go to UNLV out of high school. I met him when I was a little kid when he was at Odessa College, dude got looked at as a God pretty much, he didn't act like that from what I remember.

The Fab 5

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/98/59/1e/98591ee042fde5a7e1e0ef649d484b8b.jpg

I was a big original Big East fan as a kid. I really liked the '87 Syracuse team (Bobby can suck it) and the '89 Seton Hall team coached by Carlesimo. But, I LOVED that '84-85 St. John's team that made it to the Final Four. Old skool NYC basketball with Lou Carnesecca at the helm. They were awesome.

Phi Slamma Jamma, I was a little too young to see them much but found out plenty about them as I got older. Damn, they were loaded. More in my age bracket would be the UNLV teams. Larry Johnson didn't go to UNLV out of high school. I met him when I was a little kid when he was at Odessa College, dude got looked at as a God pretty much, he didn't act like that from what I remember.
I lived in H-Town during Phi Slamma Jamma. I saw a ton of great games at Hofheinz. Best basketball I ever saw live.

Probably Billy Donovan's first Final Four team at Florida if I have to pick one. Got Mike Miller's autograph one time at a Nuggets game when he played for Memphis and Brett Nelson (one of the guards on that team) was the DBO at CSU the year I played at UNC (We played CSU and Nebraska, but chose to do Ricardo a solid and not drag down CU's RPI that year. Finished dead last in D1 in RPI. Not making that up)

I'm a homer :
Wisconsin 2000
Wisconsin 2015
Wisconsin 2014

89/90 LSU…CJ as floor general and Shaq running the full floor up and down was fun to watch.
Loved Fab 5 and the unfort timeout as well

The Fab 5

Between these and the Jordan 21 best ball shoes ever made IMO
The year the nut hugger shorts went away
White socks died
Accumulated probably the best starting 5 in college history
We all know how it ended.

Mine would be the 1978 Arkansas team...Head coach was Eddie Sutton & Gene Keady was assist.
Sidney Moncief
Marvin Delph
Ron Brewer
Best trio of players
Damn, you're old like me (59). I remember that team. I was a sophomore in high school, and it was the first year I closely followed the NCAA tourney. Cal State Fullerton was the Cinderella team that year (I'm a Californian so that had a big impact on me) and lost to that Arkansas team in the Elite Eight.

Great Final Four: Kentucky won it all with Goose Givens and Kyle Macy.

UK beat an underdog Duke team with Spanarkel, Giminski and Gene Banks – this was before Duke was the Duke we've come to know and hate.

The Final Four was rounded out by Notre Dame's (and Digger's) best ever team: Tripucka, Hanzlick, Woolridge, Laimbeer et al.

The Fab 5

I didn't mind the Fab 5, it was a fun time in basketball, they were a transcendent group. My God though, Chris Webber. He'll always be remembered for calling the timeout they didn't have instead of the fact he walked his ass off before it ever happened. People seem to forget that part.

I didn't mind the Fab 5, it was a fun time in basketball, they were a transcendent group. My God though, Chris Webber. He'll always be remembered for calling the timeout they didn't have instead of the fact he walked his ass off before it ever happened. People seem to forget that part.
I enjoyed them but didn't cheer for them.

Ah yes-Case in point for why you should always know how many timeouts you have as a coach.
Webber's teammates said that was discussed before that happened on the 30 for 30 deal, especially JRose. He was pretty adamant about it.

Everyone: "Weber, Howard, Rose, umm... King maybe, and that other guy."

Didn't reach the Final Four, but I loved that '89 Georgetown team with Alonzo & Dikembe + Jaren Jackson & Charles Smith. Another one of mine taken out by a Laettner Duke team in the Dance.

UCLA 07-08. 4 really good NBA players, 2 all stars and 1 MVP, ran into Derrick Rose buzzsaw at Memphis. That was also during the Billy Donovan era at Florida just really good college basketball teams around that time.
Kevin Love
Russell Westbrook
Darren Collison
Luc Richard Mboute

Back