What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Favorite Football Moment While You Were At CU.

During my time at CU:

1991: 19-19 Tie in Boulder vs. nubs.
1994: 55-17 asswhuppin of Wisconsin in Boulder
1994: Michigan. The Catch. Nuff said.
1994: 41-24 whuppin of Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl
But I gotta say that my FAVORITE game/moment during my time was:
1995: Beating #3 Texas A&M 29-21 in Boulder. Something about that game (the result, maybe?) was really awesome.

Don't need to type much more than this - apparently Buffsoldier and I were there at the exact same time.

I think the "something" about the '95 aTm game was that 1) GameDay was in town for the first time, and then 2) after Koy goes down with the injury, Hessler comes in and lights up Aggy for like 500 yards and oh yeah, 3) the defense completely owning and taking Leland McElroy out of the Heisman picture for good. That was a good day.

But overall best moment in my time as a fan - 26-21 in 1989 - Hagan to Flannigan saw it develop from the north end zone, old man I rusjed the field, solidified in my mind that I would be going to CU no matter what....now I'm in the Navy (for 15 years)...thanks NROTC scholarship!

the 86 win over nebraska, my senior year.

a very close second: earlier that season, my now-wife and i were headed to folsom on foot before kickoff. Coach Mac crossed paths with us, on a backway in, outside the stadium in a random spot-- no one else was around. Mac stopped and looked at us, all decked out in our CU gear. a big smile crossed his face. he stopped and he was freaking fired up. he said what a beautiful day it was, and how lucky i was to be with my gal, and what a great day for football it was. hell, i was ready to run through a wall after 3 minutes of him talking. it is a little thing that meant nothing to him, but the world to me at the time.

it wasn't when i was in school, but i cried like a baby when CU beat uw the week that sal died. that was... moving.

But overall best moment in my time as a fan - 26-21 in 1989 - Hagan to Flannigan saw it develop from the north end zone, old man I rusjed the field, solidified in my mind that I would be going to CU no matter what....now I'm in the Navy (for 15 years)...thanks NROTC scholarship!

Video for yungins...
[video=youtube;jboOs9HVBDA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jboOs9HVBDA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

1) Klatt & Co. crushing the corn in Lincoln in '04
2) Big Play Ron Monteilh vs K-State in '04
3) Chris Brown vs K-State in '02

Rep for mentioning 2 of the 3 games I was going to bring up.

We used to get there early to get "seats" in the front around the 5 or 10 yard line. So, Donald Strickland stuffing Darren Sproles inside the 10 to seal the victory is probably my favorite memory since it happened right in front of me. And because it was the last time I remember us really being considered a big time college football team.

The Monteilh play also happened in that corner of the stadium. I think it made us bowl eligible too.

Then I've gotta throw in the Joel Klatt debut, which was an epic game on so many levels. The rain/lightning night game at a sold out Invesco, the unknown QB torching CSU over and over - McCoy had a long score, I think D.J. Hackett ran over two rams on the goalline for a score that game... Bloom had that deep ball late to set up Purify's score. And most satisfyingly, Van Pelt went out a loser as a senior the year after spiking the ball off of Phil Jackson's head in the endzone.

Now that i think about I was at CU for 3 of the best CSU wins in 03 (Klatt's first game), 04 (the goal line stop) and 05 (the comeback) but in my 2 husker games in boulder both losses really wish i could have seen them win one (i was at the 07 game with the gf that was her last year)

1976 CU 42 - OU 31

Major editing, mis-read the thread, not too may memories that were good while I was a student.

Last edited:
I went to CU from 1986 to 1991. Hell, there were too many great plays/moments to choose from.

I went to CU from 1986 to 1991. Hell, there were too many great plays/moments to choose from.

1991 to 1995 think I have you beat, except you have the 2 mNC games and a mNC. Had a whole bunch aside from the ones I quoted from Buffsoldier, but too lazy to type.

It'd be hell having my old man describe his moments - 1966 to Dec 1970 was when he was there - he's got some great stories from then too.

62-36 and the Big 12 champs. It has been all downhill since, though I did enjoy that 02 win at Lincoln.

Best moment I witnessed in my time at as a student at Folsom was beating #3 OU.

Best moment/play I witnessed was Lawrence Vickers placing the hurt in the endzone on that CSU guy at Invesco.

1986: 20-10 Folsom was alive with the most electric atmosphere I've ever experienced at any sporting event. It was pure magic.

Best moment I witnessed in my time at as a student at Folsom was beating #3 OU.

Best moment/play I witnessed was Lawrence Vickers placing the hurt in the endzone on that CSU guy at Invesco.

The forearm shiver was great. Vickers was a beast. (I think it was at Folsom though, no?)

I miss our power running game. Brandon Drumm followed by Lawrence Vickers followed by the effing spread offense led by Cody Hawkins. Thanks, Dan.

Scary thing is we've reached the point now where some players + student fans will have literally come and gone without winning/witnessing a road win unless something changes drastically in Pasadena or SLC in Nov.

Upon further thought:

1. CU 27 OU 24 (2007) It wasn't just beating OU at their best, but coming from down big in the second half to do so.
2. CU 65 Nubs 51 (2007) Only win over Nebraska while I was a student. Kicking their ass and putting up 65 on them was thoroughly enjoyable. Had to be the most brutally cold game of my 4 years.
3. CU 17 WVU 14 (2008) I generally think we have a tendency to overrate this win a bit, but it was back when the 'blackout' idea was still original and hopes were still high moving to 3-0 with the W.

Honorable mention: CU 31 Texas Tech 26 (2007). Fun game + road win (our last victory on the road...)

Last edited:
Mentioned by others in this thread, but my top two:

1. Strickland stopping Sproles as part of a real shootout.
2. Monteilh's catch to win the KSU game. That was a cold, dreary day with a fairly small crowd and the winning play came out of nowhere.

I was a freshman in 85 and we went to Macs first bowl. Graduated in may of 89 and went right to grad school so i was there all thenway thru the MNC. Tough to call favorites. Maybe EBs recovery in the rain in Lincoln after fumbling in the first half but scoring like 4 times in the second half to lead the Buffs to a huge win. Soupy's reverse. The game in Seattle after Sal died. George is a pussy. There are more as well. Not in school at the time but I was at the Miracle in Michigan. Also not in school for 62-36 and the Texas win in the Big XII championship but they rank up there as well. So many sweet memories.

I was a freshman in 85 and we went to Macs first bowl. Graduated in may of 89 and went right to grad school so i was there all thenway thru the MNC. Tough to call favorites. Maybe EBs recovery in the rain in Lincoln after fumbling in the first half but scoring like 4 times in the second half to lead the Buffs to a huge win. Soupy's reverse. The game in Seattle after Sal died. George is a pussy. There are more as well. Not in school at the time but I was at the Miracle in Michigan. Also not in school for 62-36 and the Texas win in the Big XII championship but they rank up there as well. So many sweet memories.

This. Freshman in 85. Stayed in Boulder until 97 or so. Been a season ticket holder throughout.

I was at the EB game in Lincoln. Actually was on the kNU field after the game partying with my friends and other CU fans, followed by steak dinner and martinis at Misty's in Lincoln. One of the best days of my life.

1989 was pure magic. Without a doubt my favorite team of all time.

Nothing this season. So between Eastern Washington, KSU, and WVU in 2008. I'll go with WVU:wow:

But I gotta say that my FAVORITE game/moment during my time was:
1995: Beating #3 Texas A&M 29-21 in Boulder. Something about that game (the result, maybe?) was really awesome.

+1. That game was awesome. Electric environment, great game. This is the game that immediately came to mind for me.

Next Tuesday will mark the 25th anniversary of the 20-10 win over Nebraska (damn, I'm getting old!).
For pure, unadultered joy as a football fan, that moment has yet to be matched (2-4 v. undefeated No. 3; no wins over the Corn since 1969) ... http://www.cuatthegame.com/1986/3-nebraska-20-10-the-mother-of-all-games/

Next on the list would have to be 62-36. The Buffs were ranked, and had a good team, but the complete beat down of the No. 2 team in the nation was very sweet ... http://www.cuatthegame.com/2001/2-nebraska-62-36-in-case-you-missed-it-that-was-62-36/

After that ... probably each and every victory over Nebraska; the national championship Orange Bowl; "The Catch"; and the Big 12 title game in 2001.

One loss that stands out ... the 1982 Nebraska game. The Buffs lost to No. 7 Cornhuskers, 40-14 - but that's not the whole story. It was Bill McCartney's first game against Nebraska, and came after Coach Mac had designated the Cornhuskers as the Buffs' main rival (the same Nebraska team which CU hadn't beaten, at that point, in 13 years, and which had won in Lincoln the year before by the modest score of 59-0). We all thought this no-name defensive coordinator from Michigan was nuts ... until we heard him speak. I got to meet Coach Mac the week of the game http://www.cuatthegame.com/1982/7-n...a-rival-meeting-cu-head-coach-bill-mccartney/ and was so fired up by his speech that I was ready to suit up and play.

Yes, the final score of the CU/Nebraska game in 1982 was 40-14, but it was 20-14 heading into the fourth quarter. Coach Mac didn't have the horses that afternoon to stay with the Cornhuskers, but you could see the future of the program that day. It made the '86 game - and all the success that followed - all the sweeter.

Which is why I am buying CU stock right now. The Buffs may lose by 50 to Oregon, but the seeds are being sown. When it all pays off a few years from now, we'll be proud we stuck with the team and its coaches.

Go Buffs!!

I honestly was too drunk to remember most any games during my tenure ('02 to '06)...unfortunately the game that is always engrained in my brain was my very last one as a Senior...Thumped by the Fuskers, and thrown out of the game since I was sitting in the section of whiny bitches throwing **** onto the field (I was literally sitting at the top, face in my hands, feeling my first "numbness" to what's the norm now :cry:)

Would say I recall a few more basketball plays/moments from the '02 season more than anything.....rushing the court in BBall is way cooler than football

CU over OU in 07. I told my friends before that game that if we were still in it in the 3rd quarter that we were going to win. Also, yelling "Enrique" to Juaquin Iglesias as he was getting ready to return a kickoff, him looking over to the student section and all of us calling him a pussy was just hilarious.

If I remember correctly, right after that game, Mr. Major committed to be a Buff, no?

<p>
Would say I recall a few more basketball plays/moments from the '02 season more than anything.....rushing the court in BBall is way cooler than football
</p>
<p>
nod.gif
</p>
<p>
Every second from the '03 KU game is burned into my brain. I'll remember that night til the day I die.</p>
<p>
&nbsp;</p>

as a student (grad)....Big XII Championship 01. the NU game that year, obviously.

hon mention: the Monteihl catch/win v. KSU. just for the sheer pleasure of stealing that one from the kitties.

overall, with some others....the 95 ATM game was just a great day to be a Buff. all-time fave is beating OU in 76 for a share of the Big 8 title. i was barely 5. my first game at Folsom. dad (in law school) took me...and made me a fan for life. i still remember Tony Reed running up the "COLORADO" embankment in the south EZ for the winning score. awesome.

Washinton (bad timing). After Sal passed. I was there and it was moving. Tenn. in the kick-off classic. No EB. A great perfomance by the team even though it was a tie.

Back