What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Favorite non-CU games you have watched

Duff Man

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
Thought about this with the huge Bama-LSU matchup coming up on Saturday night.

Some games I remember off the top of my head (both bowl games and regular season games):

Texas vs. USC Rose Bowl (2006): Not explanation needed here. Vince Young goes Vince Young and a game that featured two of the more talented teams in recent memory.
[video=youtube;s8zZRBTOcnY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8zZRBTOcnY[/video]

Arizona State vs. Ohio State
Rose Bowl (1997): Jake Plummer nearly led the Sun Devils to a national title here, but they fell just short.

Alabama vs. Miami Sugar Bowl
(1993): Not really a close game, as Alabama was clearly the better team, but George Teague's play remains one of the best defensive plays I have ever seen:
[video=youtube;s8o1Am8Vnoc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8o1Am8Vnoc&feature=related[/video]

Florida State vs. Notre Dame (1993): It was a regular season #1/#2 showdown and lived up to the hype. Charlie Ward and the Seminoles lost a close one in South Bend, but would go on to win the national title.

What are some of your favorites?

Forgot about that one:wow::lol:

[video=youtube;zwzjLQx2Ad0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwzjLQx2Ad0&feature=related[/video]

1995: UVA 33 FSU 28. [video=youtube;ByCwrGBfJek]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCwrGBfJek[/video]

1998: UVA 36 Virginia Tech 32. Great 22 point comeback in Blacksburg.

Novermber 23, 1984

Boston College v. Miami

Doug Flutie hail mary to Gerald Phelan to win the game.... what a finish!

Last week's USC/Stanford game was great. Probably the best game of the year so far.

So many to choose from, but here's three that were pretty damn fun to watch.

[video=youtube;I-P4Fs6PFZQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-P4Fs6PFZQ[/video]

[video=youtube;Ngr7apc6_hY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngr7apc6_hY[/video]

[video=youtube;QlG3SPXa3sg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlG3SPXa3sg[/video]

Mich ND this year
Wisc Mich St this year
I hate B1G football but those games were alllsome

Boise Stank vs Oklahoma. That game had everything.
Hands down this is my favorite non-CU game. That game represents everything that makes CFB awesome - a scrappy no-name program, using nothing but grit and heart, in overtime takes down a national powerhouse in thrilling fashion.
Statue of Liberty, hook and latteral, multiple lead changes, heart and pride on full display... This game highlights why pro football is so lame.

liked that cotten bowl game when the canes kicked the **** out of ut...loved the swagger on those canes teams...felt like CU had the swagger back in the day 88-95/96

Hands down this is my favorite non-CU game. That game represents everything that makes CFB awesome - a scrappy no-name program, using nothing but grit and heart, in overtime takes down a national powerhouse in thrilling fashion.
Statue of Liberty, hook and latteral, multiple lead changes, heart and pride on full display... This game highlights why pro football is so lame.

Also, the proposal to the cheerleader was sappy but awesome.

Gonna show my age and, granted, I was a youngster back then, but the unl - OU "Game of the Century" in 1971 was truly a classic game for the ages.

Also, the proposal to the cheerleader was sappy but awesome.
Holy crap, I completely forgot about that!! That game did have everything!
Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles..
pbr_011KeepYerShirtOn.jpg

1974 Notre Dame USC game....ND led 24-0 in the first half and USC scored a TD with a few seconds left in the first half...USC scored 35 points in the third quarter to win going away 55-24. One of the most exciting comebacks I have ever seen.

2005 Rose Bowl - Texas 38 Michigan 37 - Every bit as entertaining and exciting as the '06 Rose Bowl, just not as high of stakes.

Tex Ohio St 05 was good,Troy Smith & Vince Young IIRC
FSU Miami 2000, 'canes were just about to bust out rebuilding with Butch Davis,DJ Williams was a true frosh and played fullback that season out of necessity
Stanford USC was pretty sweet last week

1983 Orange Bowl was a classic game. Nebraska down 17 early, Mike Rozier gets hurt, fumblerooskie, TO's red pants, Nebraska driving for the tie and Irving Fryar drops a sure TD (they score on an option play on 4th and about 8), Nebraska goes for two and misses....

Might have to go with the '71 land thieves vs. the bugeaters. Back and forth to the very end. Same year the big 8 went 1-2-3 in the final polls, CU being #3.

My FIL was in the stands for that game in '71. He said it was loud and coooooooooooooooold.

Some other good ones:

Appalachian State's upset of meatchicken in the Big House

BC over the Canes with Flutie's throw (still not as good as Stewart to Westbrook)

Great thread.

How about 1991 UT at ND, the Irish lead 31-7 and are lining up for a FG right before the half. UT blocks it and runs it back for a TD to make the halftime score 31-14 and goes on to win 35-34 as ND gets a potential game-winning FG blocked at the gun.

This isn't specific, but I remember a few great Miami-FSU games in the early 90's. OU and Miami also played a game in the Orange Bowl in the late 80's that was a war and Miami ended up winning.

CVille, this is for you - this very topic was on the local sportstalk radio on my way home today and someone brought up that UVA win over FSU on a Thursday night which was FSU's first ACC loss. There was also quite a bit of talk about a UNC-NCSU game where there was a very controversial call at the end of the game on a TD. I'm not sure which team scored or didn't, but I do know that the tar holes won the game. You recall this one? It was at least about 10 years ago because they were saying that the game wasn't on any of the ESPN's or other networks and therefore there never was a good camera angle of the play.

Ugh, this thread is like discussing the hottest girl you always wanted to **** but never did

Greatest Game

Gonna show my age and, granted, I was a youngster back then, but the unl - OU "Game of the Century" in 1971 was truly a classic game for the ages.

I have lived long as well, and that game is probably the best college game I have ever seen. There are a few I was actually at involving Notre Dame. i was at the 10-10 tie in 1966 with Mich State. The game had some of the greatest football players ever to play both in college and the pros such as Bubba Smith and Alan Page (the only defensive lineman to ever win the MVP in the NFL). I also took my wife to the 1980 ND-Michigan game which was a classic.

Great thread.

How about 1991 UT at ND, the Irish lead 31-7 and are lining up for a FG right before the half. UT blocks it and runs it back for a TD to make the halftime score 31-14 and goes on to win 35-34 as ND gets a potential game-winning FG blocked at the gun.

This isn't specific, but I remember a few great Miami-FSU games in the early 90's. OU and Miami also played a game in the Orange Bowl in the late 80's that was a war and Miami ended up winning.

CVille, this is for you - this very topic was on the local sportstalk radio on my way home today and someone brought up that UVA win over FSU on a Thursday night which was FSU's first ACC loss. There was also quite a bit of talk about a UNC-NCSU game where there was a very controversial call at the end of the game on a TD. I'm not sure which team scored or didn't, but I do know that the tar holes won the game. You recall this one? It was at least about 10 years ago because they were saying that the game wasn't on any of the ESPN's or other networks and therefore there never was a good camera angle of the play.

Hmmm, I'm not sure. This one from 1999 is very close as to whether the NCSU player got in, but it was on ESPN.

Torbush vs. O'Cain :lol:

[video=youtube;MFONC2Fmvs4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFONC2Fmvs4[/video]

Last edited:
The Boise game was pretty sweet. Those guys executing a trick play on that stage was awesome. Execution stand point, they are better than anyone. 1994 Texas CU game was pretty good.

Back