What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Favorite Topic revisited: Davis Webb....potential first rounder...what if?

OsideBuff

Dimwitted ****
Read this article. Davis Webb is a unique individual.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...rback-davis-webb-first-round-draft/100874240/ He did ALL his HW on Mondays...was in the football facility from 7am to 10pm. Dude is seriously committed.

Davis Webb, by the way, is working his way up the draft board...almost sure 2nd round pick...and may sneak into the first round. Guy was a stud in the all star game I watched.

When I look back at what happened with Davis, it is now pretty clear to me why he left. As we watched last season, McIntyre heavily favored Sefo emotionally and I think Davis recognized that. I assume that he surmised that if it were even remotely close, Sefo would get the nod. Don't get me wrong...I love Sefo's passion and fire. But he had significant limitations. Average Div 1 QB. Davis Webb was absolutely correct in that assessment. As we saw in the Pac 12 championship game...even though Sefo was HURT and not playing well (pick six followed by another)...and Mac stuck with Sefo. Mac loved Sefo....perhaps too much so. Sefo had a very good season....Webb threw for 37 TDs for a pretty bad Cal team.

I personally believe that we would have had a chance to play in the playoffs with Webb. I believe that we could have beaten Michigan, USC, Washington with him under center. Will always wonder what if.....he would have stayed and played at CU? Our Magical season could have turned into a true Cinderella season......if circumstances would have been different....

Dude made some smart decisions last year...leaving T Tech when the starter is a first round pick....bypassing a politically iffy situation at CU and going to Cal setting himself up for a nice payday.

Will always wonder what if.....

Last edited:
I used to be pissed at him...no longer. Webb was looking out for his future.....and I now believe he recognized that if Sefo came back healthy, he would be a backup regardless....and he would be STRUGGLING to get a FA tryout. I cant blame him based on what I now know.....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...rback-davis-webb-first-round-draft/100874240/ He did ALL his HW on Mondays...was in the football facility from 7am to 10pm. Dude is seriously committed.

Davis Webb, by the way, is working his way up the draft board...almost sure 2nd round pick...and may sneak into the first round. Guy was a stud in the all star game I watched.

When I look back at what happened with Davis, it is now pretty clear to me why he left. As we watched last season, McIntyre heavily favored Sefo emotionally and I think Davis recognized that. I assume that he surmised that if it were even remotely close, Sefo would get the nod. Don't get me wrong...I love Sefo's passion and fire. But he had significant limitations. Average Div 1 QG. Davis Webb was absolutely correct in that assessment. As we saw in the Pac 12 championship game...even though Sefo was HURT and not playing well (pick six followed by another)...and Mac stuck with Sefo. Mac loved Sefo....perhaps too much so. Sefo had a very good season....Webb threw for 37 TDs for a pretty bad Cal team.

I personally believe that we would have had a chance to play in the playoffs with Webb. I believe that we could have beaten Michigan, USC, Washington with him under center. Will always wonder what if.....he would have stayed and played at CU? Our Magical season could have turned into a true Cinderella season......if circumstances would have been different....

Dude made some smart decisions last year...leaving T Tech when the starter is a first round pick....bypassing a politically iffy situation at CU and going to Cal setting himself up for a nice payday.

From a talent perspective Webb was/is a better QB than Sefo. I hate to say it, but it is true. I think you are right, I was pretty psyched about Webb playing his fifth year here and RS'ing Sefo. Didn't work out that way. MikMac did have some weird fixation on Sefo. Maybe that was a product of the fact the team was similarly connected to him as "their" QB. Webb may have never fit in and the lack of chemistry may have been a bigger detriment than anything he added from an improved QB aspect. Who knows? Water under the bridge and I am very happy with the success CU had last year. They were great.

I agree with most of what you wrote. If Liufau is 65% physically ready to play, he would be the starter over Webb as long as MacIntyre was the coach. It was a true and pure love affair. In almost any dimension, Webb is the better QB.

Where I don't agree is that CU would have had a better record with Webb as the QB. I'll give Liufau credit for being The Man against Michigan and the offensive play calling was absolute chicken**** against USC. Those are the only two games that Webb could have effected, but I don't think he would have. The P12 championship and the bowl were too far out of reach for CU, even if they had Sam Darnold as the starting QB.

USC and Washington were significantly better than the Buffs, regardless of who was under center.
We were down only 7 at half.....in the game at that point. I would agree that the teams were all better talent wise.....but the defense got gassed in all those games because the offense imploded in the second halfs of each.....our depth killed us. Were in each of those games in the third quarter...despite getting pushed around....our three and outs were killers.

We were down only 7 at half.....in the game at that point. I would agree that the teams were all better talent wise.....but the defense got gassed in all those games because the offense imploded in the second halfs of each.....our depth killed us. Were in each of those games in the third quarter...despite getting pushed around....our three and outs were killers.

I think you are conveniently giving the defense a pass against Washington. The offense was not good, but the defense got pushed around pretty good from the start. We may have been "in" that game at halftime, but I never felt we were a threat to win.

With USC, it took four USC turnovers and a late kneel down to keep that score respectable.

Webb clearly has talent, but what was the biggest win of his career? Seems like a guy who threw up crazy stats on crappy teams and that somehow elevated him to a guy who could lead the Buffs to the playoffs? Sure thing.

There's no way to quantify the "what ifs", but I think there's a much better chance that CU has a worse season, record-wise, with Webb, than they ended up having with Sefo. Webb wasn't going to beat USC, Michigan, UW or Okie State either, and with the amount of INTs he throws, who knows if he's able to beat Oregon, Wazzu or Utah either.

When I look back at what happened with Davis, it is now pretty clear to me why he left. As we watched last season, McIntyre heavily favored Sefo emotionally and I think Davis recognized that. I assume that he surmised that if it were even remotely close, Sefo would get the nod. Don't get me wrong...I love Sefo's passion and fire. But he had significant limitations. Average Div 1 QB. Davis Webb was absolutely correct in that assessment. As we saw in the Pac 12 championship game...even though Sefo was HURT and not playing well (pick six followed by another)...and Mac stuck with Sefo. Mac loved Sefo....perhaps too much so. Sefo had a very good season....Webb threw for 37 TDs for a pretty bad Cal team.

but... we had a shot to be in the playoff discussion. If we had found a way to beat UW (which we were close until Sefo got hurt and the D got gassed) we would have had a very serious argument. Hell we were #8. A win over #4, puts us in the discussion for #5 or #6 for sure.

We were beating Mich when Sefo went down.

Sefo didn't play against USC because of the injury so we have no real data to say which QB of the two would have won. What we do know is that Webb and his Golden Bears lost to USC 45-24.

Webb did what was best for his career as is his right and his perogative and it looks like he made a good choice. Sefo, helped lead one of the most magical seasons in Colorado football history. I will take the way it turned out every time.

Webb clearly has talent, but what was the biggest win of his career? Seems like a guy who threw up crazy stats on crappy teams and that somehow elevated him to a guy who could lead the Buffs to the playoffs? Sure thing.

Question here was what if Davis Webb gets drafted in the first round.

It seems that over half of all QBs drafted in the 1st round never turn out for the team that drafts them. Webb was a talented college QB but your point about big wins is significant. He is also a guy who transferred because he got beat out by another QB on his first college team and Texas Tech isn't exactly a hotbed of QB talent.

If a team drafts him in the first round I think it will be because they convinced themselves they need a QB and convinced themselves that he is a first round talent, I would question that second conclusion.

Good points...I love Sefo but you may be on to something about having won more games with Webb in...the only reason I doubt it is how heavily we relied on him running.

but... we had a shot to be in the playoff discussion. If we had found a way to beat UW (which we were close until Sefo got hurt and the D got gassed) we would have had a very serious argument. Hell we were #8. A win over #4, puts us in the discussion for #5 or #6 for sure.

We were beating Mich when Sefo went down.

Sefo didn't play against USC because of the injury so we have no real data to say which QB of the two would have won. What we do know is that Webb and his Golden Bears lost to USC 45-24.

Webb did what was best for his career as is his right and his perogative and it looks like he made a good choice. Sefo, helped lead one of the most magical seasons in Colorado football history. I will take the way it turned out every time.

The problem is your scenario has a lot of "what ifs" and probably results in a lot--A LOT--of heartache even in its best case scenario. Yes, the Buffs were beating Michigan when Sefo went down, but at that point in the season Sefo was healthy and playing his heart out. Webb is a Texas Tech QB...in my opinion, that means he puts up a lot of meaningless numbers which rarely result in anything positive. The Buffs made massive strides this year, and went from a projected last-place finish to division champions...at which point they were beaten down pretty solidly by the Huskies, and then beaten down pretty solidly by OK St in the Alamo Bowl. While he was often thrown into really bad situations, I actually believe Steven Montez did a remarkable job for the Buffs, and think that there's a lot to be positive about this year. I really don't think Davis Webb really would have been all that valuable to the Buffs in games against USC and Washington, but for argument's sake, let's just say he was and the Buffs made the playoff...

...how the heck do you think the team would have done against Clemson or Alabama? As far as sacks allowed goes, Colorado was #77 in the country...Alabama's defense was #3 in sacks and Clemson was #10. For tackles for loss allowed, Colorado was #59, while Clemson's defense was #3 in TFL and Alabama #11. CU would have gone up against the two best defensive lines in the nation with a giant, immobile 7'7" praying mantis standing there at QB. In this scenario, yes, the Buffs would have made the playoff, but I think the final result would have been a lot more ugly and embarrassing on a far more national stage than the Alamo Bowl.

Webb will be a 3rd string hack in 1 year. Just like all these other crappy QB's that went in the first few round over the last couple of years.

Interesting article in the WSJ yesterday about drafting QB's from teams with losing records as starters, like Webb. The short of it, don't do it. The article wasn't on the digital WSJ site so that I could create a link. Sorry. It quoted Bill Parcell, who suggested that drafting a QB that couldn't win in college was tempting at times, but stupid. A list of quarterbacks with below .500 college records drafted in the last 15 years supports Parcell's thinking. If you don't win in college, you don't win in the NFL. Sefo also fits this category, but brought CU back from nothing to a winner, which is unique in college football. Webb may not have done much more for the Buffs then Sefo, and may well have done less.

If Webb came here, knowing MM... Sefo would be first man up, and we never would have seen what we have in Montez. This board would be in a tizzy debating who is going to play this upcoming season without seeing anything to back it up.

Back