What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

FIRE Ninas Now!!! x2

Neinas and Jeffcoat are not doing the job in coaching their position groups and not doing the job with their recruiting responsibilities. Fairly easy to argue that they are the weak links in the staff in both areas considering expectations when they came in.

When an organization isn't successful you look for the people who aren't doing their jobs, looks like we see them here.

Neinas and Jeffcoat are not doing the job in coaching their position groups and not doing the job with their recruiting responsibilities. Fairly easy to argue that they are the weak links in the staff in both areas considering expectations when they came in.

When an organization isn't successful you look for the people who aren't doing their jobs, looks like we see them here.

Exactly. Neinas should have been shown the door last off season, Jeffcoat has earned his right to leave as well, IMO. That DL play wasn't just bad it was embarassing.

Yep axe them both, I wouldn't mind if they did it now. We all know that isn't coming and probably bad timing but earn your paycheck.

If this season plays out like most are now expecting: i.e. 3 wins at most, and more likely 2, or even 1, and there isn't turnover on the staff (Jeffcoat, Neinas, Baer, Lindgren are all failing to deliver IMO), then the entire staff is on the hot seat next year. If there are changes, HCMM might buy himself another year to show results.

Everyone likes to point to Mac 1 as a model. He changed assistants early when his first choices weren't getting the job done. I'm pretty confident that he wouldn't have survived that 1 win 3rd year if he hadn't.

I'm a little worried that HCMM might be a little too cocky to make the changes he might need to make. (For example, his "here's our playbook, learn it" approach to hiring an offensive coordinator makes me a little worried - especially because he's more of a defensive coach.) HCBM was smart enough to make a change when it was obvious his first choices weren't working out, will HCMM be similarly smart?

Last edited:
Neinas sucks.
I'm hoping RG comes in and works with Mac on reshaping this staff. The O staff is good, Neinas sucks, and a few changes on D maybe called for, maybe even firing Baer. I think this will have to come from RG though, I think Mac is pretty loyal, maybe to a fault.

MacIntyre's over his head. Only an idot would think hiring 7 SJSU coaches and Toby freaking Neinas would work out in the PAC 12.
Mac is a good coach and he'll be here at least another 2 years. I do worry about his ability to fire people though. That may be his Achilles heel. We shall see.

IMO, if it really does come down to RG needing to force Mac's hand on a staff change, then we really are f'd and Slider is right that Mac is in over his head. If Mac is worth his salt as a HC, he already knows what needs to be done and will do it before it's too late.

Neinas is horrible and I never understood why he was brought in (yeah, yeah I know the elder Neinas/Bohnhead connection), and it's now been 2 years into the experiment. Time to end it and bring in someone worth a damn.

I don't necessarily have a problem with Neinas. Nice guy. Seems to be a competent ST coordinator.

But you simply can't use a staff position for a "competent" ST coordinator who isn't an ace recruiter for you. If he was Ed Orgeron on the recruiting trail, I'd be fine with retaining him. Since he's not, CU needs to shuffle things up by adding a recruiter who can also coach a position.

IMO, if it really does come down to RG needing to force Mac's hand on a staff change, then we really are f'd and Slider is right that Mac is in over his head. If Mac is worth his salt as a HC, he already knows what needs to be done and will do it before it's too late.

Neinas is horrible and I never understood why he was brought in (yeah, yeah I know the elder Neinas/Bohnhead connection), and it's now been 2 years into the experiment. Time to end it and bring in someone worth a damn.

I agree. If MikeMac can't come to the conclusion on his own then we are in real trouble. Nonetheless, it wouldn't hurt if RG told him that there are expectations at CU and these types of seasons won't cut it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't necessarily have a problem with Neinas. Nice guy. Seems to be a competent ST coordinator.

But you simply can't use a staff position for a "competent" ST coordinator who isn't an ace recruiter for you. If he was Ed Orgeron on the recruiting trail, I'd be fine with retaining him. Since he's not, CU needs to shuffle things up by adding a recruiter who can also coach a position.

In my mind Nienas cost us the game today. CU was in position to take control of the game. We had just scored and Utah was reeling.

Our "competent" ST coordinator fails to have one whole side of the formation covered. I could have run that fake for the first down and gents, I'm an old man with terrible knees.

That failure by the punt coverage team resulted in Utah scoring a quick TD and getting the momentum back from a fragile team.

Fire Nienas now.

In my mind Nienas cost us the game today. CU was in position to take control of the game. We had just scored and Utah was reeling.

Our "competent" ST coordinator fails to have one whole side of the formation covered. I could have run that fake for the first down and gents, I'm an old man with terrible knees.

That failure by the punt coverage team resulted in Utah scoring a quick TD and getting the momentum back from a fragile team.

Fire Nienas now.

I have been neutral on Neinas (compared to most) all year, but not having the team prepared for the fake was a colossal furk up. They literally had five minutes to talk with the unit while the replay was taking place (which they should have in the event it was reversed like it was). That was the tide shift in the game and there is no excuse for it. None.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been neutral on Neinas (compared to most) all year, but not having the team prepared for the fake was a colossal furk up. They literally had five minutes to talk with the unit while the replay was taking place (which they should have in the event it was reversed like it was). That was the tide shift in the game and there is no excuse for it. None.

Don't forget O'Neil's 30 yard, left footed rugby punt early in the game. I despise rugby punts.

I haven't heard anything but it wouldn't surprise me if that play wasn't even a called play but rather an automatic based on the messed up formation.

The athleticism of the Utah punter is no secret, he has been one of the better punters in the country all year. He has also done a lot of the roll out punts.

Utah (with a competent ST coach) has probably worked on that in practice. When you see the formation with that side uncovered you go to a roll to that side. If the defense adjust out you kick it, if the guy on the edge rushes in you have an easy block and open field to run in.

Nienas had to know that teams would see that open side and take advantage of it. He is the one who calls the formation there and he gave up the game on a basic mistake.

I haven't heard anything but it wouldn't surprise me if that play wasn't even a called play but rather an automatic based on the messed up formation.

The athleticism of the Utah punter is no secret, he has been one of the better punters in the country all year. He has also done a lot of the roll out punts.

Utah (with a competent ST coach) has probably worked on that in practice. When you see the formation with that side uncovered you go to a roll to that side. If the defense adjust out you kick it, if the guy on the edge rushes in you have an easy block and open field to run in.

Nienas had to know that teams would see that open side and take advantage of it. He is the one who calls the formation there and he gave up the game on a basic mistake.
Pretty sure it was called. The blockers took off on the snap.

MacIntyre's over his head. Only an idot would think hiring 7 SJSU coaches and Toby freaking Neinas would work out in the PAC 12.

I don't have a problem with him bringing his staff.

I don't have a problem with him bringing his staff.

We got pissed at Hawk for not bringing enough of his staff. Can't have it both ways really when making the argument.

If the team was winning no one would be upset. They aren't. It's evident that changes need to be made. There's plenty of coaches that should be fire or on the hot seat.

1. Nienas
2. Jeffcoat
3. Baer

I'd rank those at #3, #1 and #2 in order.

Do you believe this garbage or are you just trying to piss people off?

Slider never liked McIntyre to start with, everything since has been trying to justify that position.

I do give him credit though for being consistent, he has been steady in his belief win or lose.

The jury is still out on M2 but I think we are headed the right direction. I'd like better results than we have had but the hole was so deep that getting out isn't easy.

My question is exactly who could we have gotten who would have done a better job. Sabin, Miles, Tressel, etc. weren't and aren't going to quit their current jobs to come to Boulder. We got shot down by Butch Jones of all people and I am thankful of that one.

Still need to fire Nienas and Jeffcoat though, they aren't getting the job done. Also wouldn't object if Baer got replaced in the process.

Back