What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrin Chiaverini relieved of his duties as Offensive Coordinator

Truth be told, I think the reason that Colorado had early season success last year is that the lockdown in Colorado was not nearly as severe as in most of the rest of the pac 12. I walk through cal's campus most weekdays and all in person gatherings were banned and cal players were doing socially distanced weightlifting outdoors on the lacrosse field most of last year. Hell, Stanford could not even practice or play on their home field for part of the year. There is a reason CU looked more sharp at the beginning of the abbreviated season.
I didn't think much about this post when it was first written.

I know fear it is gospel.

So let me get this straight - “depth” really doesn’t mean guys who can, you know, actually play. It’s just any kid who happens to be on the team. Did I get that right?
Well Hell, I guess every damn team has great depth, then. I mean, every school in the country from Alabama to Prairie View has somewhere between 12-18 guys on the roster who are considered offensive linemen. When every team has the same level of depth, then the word itself has lost all meaning.

So let me get this straight - “depth” really doesn’t mean guys who can, you know, actually play. It’s just any kid who happens to be on the team. Did I get that right?
Well Hell, I guess every damn team has great depth, then. I mean, every school in the country from Alabama to Prairie View has somewhere between 12-18 guys on the roster who are considered offensive linemen. When every team has the same level of depth, then the word itself has lost all meaning.
CU has 12 OL so their depth is deep-ish. Now, TE? Hooboy, they are DEEEEP there!

Last edited:
Years of recruiting where a 3 star is a big deal gets you here. Losing gets you here in recruiting. I’ve been watching the buffs since early 70’s (77 grad) I haven’t seen much winning. Our only hope is that KD is in it for the long haul, the conference gets at least a modicum of respect, and we can get players. What drives me nuts is saying Chev is a great recruiter, and we only get the 2.5 star guys at a great school. Seriously.

The mixup is quality of depth vs actual depth. NFL roster depth chart also includes practice squad players and 2nd and 3rd stringers. Talent in pipeline are scholarship players that exist that are part of the depth and part of the long term planning of a College program. These players are also listed as 3rd and 4th stringers on the depth chart. Obviouslly the overal quality of depth of th program is not good due to players leaving early and playerss been out due to injury. You also have poor class balance. But it is also true we have talented OL at CU, the talent is young and inexperience. Like I said several months ago. It is also true we need 2 guys from the transfer portal. It is not black or white. Both can be true.

Last edited:
The mixup is quality of depth vs actual depth. NFL roster depth chart also includes practice squad players and 2nd and 3rd stringers. Talent in pipeline are scholarship players that exist that are part of the depth and part of the long term planning of a College program. These players are also listed as 3rd and 4th stringers on the depth chart. Obviouslly the overal quality of depth of th program is not good due to players leaving early and playerss been out due to injury. You also have poor class balance. But it is also true we have talented OL at CU, the talent is young and inexperience. Like I said several months ago. It is also true we need 2 guys from the transfer portal. It is not black or white. Both can be true.
Not sure if you saw this the first time, so I'll say it again. Excluding Wray and Fenske bc they've played 4 games between them in a CU uniform, Fillip is the only starter who will get a practice squad opportunity. That I'm sure. Out of all the Fr linemen we have, Wiley is the least likely to get a look. We have NFL talent on this team but the o line...umm yeaahh

You can't say that about Wiley. Still has time to work on his game and get better. Players do get better. A few years ago, no one was talking William Sherman. Sherman was drafted by Pats. I actually think the Tank has the highest ceiling. Filip could be a NfL prospect but he has to get to like 315 pounds.

You can't say that about Wiley. Still has time to work on his game and get better. Players do get better. A few years ago, no one was talking William Sherman. Sherman was drafted by Pats. I actually the Tank has the highest ceiling. Filip could be a NfL prospect but he has to get to like 315 pounds.

I like Tank too. Sherman's first game was 2018 vs Nebraska and he graded the best lineman from PFF that week. Everyone was talking about him. Wiley is a third year freshman. Put it this way, if by some miracle we bring in 4 stud o line recruits next year, Wiley is transferring to an FCS school. Sorry, but that's reality

You can't say that about Wiley. Still has time to work on his game and get better. Players do get better. A few years ago, no one was talking William Sherman. Sherman was drafted by Pats. I actually think the Tank has the highest ceiling. Filip could be a NfL prospect but he has to get to like 315 pounds.
Sherman was being talked about as a potential stud when he was recruited and came here as a freshman. He was good from the moment he stepped into the starting lineup. Just stop while you’re miles behind

Grave Bury GIF by Rhymesayers

You realize this is a #FireChev thread, right? Sucks to have the need for so many Fire threads. Can someone point me to the #FireRod thread?
This should cover it

You keep saying we have depth, and the follow that up by saying we need more depth.
Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Years of recruiting where a 3 star is a big deal gets you here. Losing gets you here in recruiting. I’ve been watching the buffs since early 70’s (77 grad) I haven’t seen much winning. Our only hope is that KD is in it for the long haul, the conference gets at least a modicum of respect, and we can get players. What drives me nuts is saying Chev is a great recruiter, and we only get the 2.5 star guys at a great school. Seriously.
He can be a great recruiter, but I'm not sure his heart has been in his job since he got passed over for head coach.

It's fun doing this again 4 years later

I think a more accurate statement would be every 4 years for the past 16. Maybe that's why I have a soft spot for Mel Tucker- we finally got a reprieve from this for a year.

One of my thing about CU fans is when they say we have 'depth' or 'talent' simply because we have warm bodies.

'We don't have a depth problem at WR, we have 8 of them on the roster!'

If your players suck, are too young, or injured, you have a depth problem.

When CU fans say "depth" it means "names I recognize on the depth chart."

"Hey- I remember when we recruited that guy and how we celebrated in his thread- Dorrell said really nice things about him at the recruiting luncheon. Nice to have someone like that as the 2nd stringer only 2 years later. Maybe in another year he'll be able to play!"

Signed,
Gary Bernardi or Klayton Adams or both really.

I like Tank too. Sherman's first game was 2018 vs ****braska and he graded the best lineman from PFF that week. Everyone was talking about him. Wiley is a third year freshman. Put it this way, if by some miracle we bring in 4 stud o line recruits next year, Wiley is transferring to an FCS school. Sorry, but that's reality
Wiley was a huge reach by a staff that figured, "well, we've missed hard on the other legit linemen from this school, so hell let's go get one of the other ones cuz, they've got to be pretty good too, right? Right?"

Last edited:
If I look, I am sure I can find several posts saying Sherman won't get drafted. Young players do getter. Wiley is close, he just has to clean up some pass blocking technique problems. Another year of development could be what he needs. Wasn't Wiley ranked like the 60 best lineman in the country by scout? He wasn't considered a bad in state recurit when he was signed.

I think a more accurate statement would be every 4 years for the past 16. Maybe that's why I have a soft spot for Mel Tucker- we finally got a reprieve from this for a year.

When CU fans say "depth" it means "names I recognize on the depth chart."

"Hey- I remember when we recruited that guy and how we celebrated in his thread- Dorrell said really nice things about him at the recruiting luncheon. Nice to have someone like that as the 2nd stringer only 2 years later. Maybe in another year he'll be able to play!"
Yeah, I had issues with Tucker’s game planning and gameday coaching during his year here, but it finally felt like CU had someone who “got it” with recruiting and would get better with the game day stuff as he got more experience (seems to be trending that direction in year 2 at MSU).

If I look, I am sure I can find several posts saying Sherman won't get drafted. Young players do getter. Wiley is close, he just has to clean up some pass blocking technique problems. Another year of development could be what he needs. Wasn't Wiley ranked like the 60 best lineman in the country by scout? He wasn't considered a bad in state recurit when he was signed.
FF4D6A08-0285-4074-8907-6785AEC93B6D.png

Back