What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrin Chiaverini relieved of his duties as Offensive Coordinator

Sounds like Dorrell could use Stitt’s expertise with that company to help on the recruiting trail. All about finding diamonds in the rough

Dorrell: "Bob, I need you to find me the HS kid in Weld, Morgan, or Larimer Counties with the fastest 40 time in the County, at least a 3.5 GPA, married parents, no criminal record, and who has at least one G5 offer or 2 FCS offers. Basketball team participation a plus but not a deal killer..."

Still: "I'm on it Coach. Appreciate the work. Let's get a beer some time."

Truthfully, I think Bob got so used to coaching the high bandwidth kids at Mines for 14 years that he might have struggled with regular non-Mines players that didn't always grasp things right away. A theory, anyway.

As a side note, it's really depressing to me to think how much better Utah FB has been than CU since we both came into the Pac 12.
I think it was Churchill who said “Comparison is the mother of unhappiness”

So compare CU to Utah if you like but I prefer to compare CU to Iowa State. Those of us that have been around a while get real unhappy knowing that we aren’t as good as Iowa freaking State.

That is what is so upsetting. We aren’t comparing ourselves to blue bloods but even when we talk about the middle of the road teams it isn’t even close over the past 15 years.

That falls squarely on our BS administration

Comes down to 2 things: Utah has had good coaching hires / coaching consistency and they recruit well. This is not rocket surgery.
I think it was Churchill who said “Comparison is the mother of unhappiness”

So compare CU to Utah if you like but I prefer to compare CU to Iowa State. Those of us that have been around a while get real unhappy knowing that we aren’t as good as Iowa freaking State.

That is what is so upsetting. We aren’t comparing ourselves to blue bloods but even when we talk about the middle of the road teams it isn’t even close over the past 15 years.

That falls squarely on our BS administration
It's not that I don't understand it- its just depressing.

Utah has some unique advantages with regards to inroads to Polynesian recruits and had a better coach at the time (still does), but CU had the edge in advantages when both joined the P12: CU is in a much larger metro area, in a state with a much higher population, had been a P5 team for years prior to the Pac 12, had a budget that was much larger ($58M vs $30M the first year in the P12), almost immediately built much better facilities, and for all of that have failed where UU has succeeded.

It's not that I don't understand it- its just depressing.

Utah has some unique advantages with regards to inroads to Polynesian recruits and had a better coach at the time (still does), but CU had the edge in advantages when both joined the P12: CU is in a much larger metro area, in a state with a much higher population, had been a P5 team for years prior to the Pac 12, had a budget that was much larger ($58M vs $30M the first year in the P12), almost immediately built much better facilities, and for all of that have failed where UU has succeeded.
I think I finally understand it. Through different coaches, recruiting philosophies, AD's, regents, and university administrators they have continued to have the same results. The only constant that hasn't changed is the ****ing fans. You are all fired.

I think I finally understand it. Through different coaches, recruiting philosophies, AD's, regents, and university administrators they have continued to have the same results. The only constant that hasn't changed is the ****ing fans. You are all fired.
One more constant that I honestly believe gets overlooked: Phil DiStefano. Dude has been here through all of this **** and he's been in a position of authority.

One more constant that I honestly believe gets overlooked: Phil DiStefano. Dude has been here through all of this **** and he's been in a position of authority.
How that dude has not been fired is way beyond my comprehension.

He's ****ed up royally in his regular role- see: failure to report in the MM era, plantation comments, bungling of the on-campus shelter in place orders during the attack by the guy with the knife, double standard on Churchill vs. John Eastman, ****ing up the response to on-campus racist incidents; the list goes on.

Student government and grad students (in my experience) hate him.

Undergrads think he's a joke.

Faculty (in my experience) hate him and think he's a joke.

I don't think he can point to a single thing that's truly his that he's done well, and yet somehow he endures after 12 years as chancellor.

Phil Distefano retire, b.

He's ****ed up royally in his regular role- see: failure to report in the MM era, plantation comments, bungling of the on-campus shelter in place orders during the attack by the guy with the knife, double standard on Churchill vs. John Eastman, ****ing up the response to on-campus racist incidents; the list goes on.

I don't think he can point to a single thing that's truly his that he's done well, and yet somehow he endures after 12 years as chancellor.

He hasn’t been fired because CU -Boulder hasn’t been a focus for the Regents and University President for a long time. I’m not saying it’s causation, but our troubles started right around the same time the President of the University moved his/her offices from Boulder to Denver. That happened and CU-Boulder was put into the control and oversight of Phil DiStefano. As long as things don’t spiral out of control, nobody cares. The other campuses have gotten a lot more attention than they ever did before. Not saying that’s a bad thing, but it appears to have come at the expense of the flagship.

Yup. He and RG are SUPER tight, too. When they are together they almost slobber over each other. It's sickening.

to the post above. Utah has a great coach and he has been willing to bring in big name OC as needed and consistent.
They also have a system and a plan that they stick/recruit to. They know exactly what they want to do.
CU is on the no plan plan and our offensive and defensive plans have changed like the wind for the last 20 years. Always talk (every coach last 5) say they want to be a run the ball team yet are still all over the place.
Get a plan and stick with the plan, then recruit to that plan.
I would love to have an Iowa or Wisconsin plan.

So CU's FB woes can be traced to a bromance?
All I can tell you is what I saw as an insider staffer subjected to the annual 'oversight' speech we all had to endure given by Phil D and RG. EVERY year each of them spend like 10 - 15 minutes gushing about how great each other are, how GREAT each others support of each other are, and how GREAT a job each of them are doing in their respective jobs, while ANYONE not a highly paid coach in the room basically silently groans....and a couple not so silent lol.

There is NO way Phil D would literally EVER fire RG. Well outside of RG being CONVICTED of a serious crime. I'm serious. Mere allegations wouldn't remotely be enough, until the stain on the public image of the University was so bad the Regents stepped in and did his job for him.

I don't think even the (now an inevitable) cratering of FB season ticket revenue next year will be enough to get Phil to do jack, expect show up and talk about how great RG is and hey - BASKETBALL.

Yeah - because RG had exactly ZERO to do with acquiring Boyle. Matter of fact, now that I'm on the subject RG can't lay claim to almost any of the good coaches he's got there. Wetmore has been there forever, Boyle came of his own doing, and Sanchez in womens soccer came 2 years before RG did. Only thing RG has managed to do is NOT mess things up SO badly that those folks leave. Frankly, RG doesn't even have to manage Wetmore NOR Boyle. They both built their own success there DESPITE the administration above them. Over at Coors Events Center, Boyle more or less dictates to RG what happens....

Doesn't seem like a 'great' job to me, especially considering this clown car dumpster fire he's allowing in Football, the ONE program that really really needs to succeed, to fund the others.

They are both failing the University.

All I can tell you is what I saw as an insider staffer subjected to the annual 'oversight' speech we all had to endure given by Phil D and RG. EVERY year each of them spend like 10 - 15 minutes gushing about how great each other are, how GREAT each others support of each other are, and how GREAT a job each of them are doing in their respective jobs, while ANYONE not a highly paid coach in the room basically silently groans....and a couple not so silent lol.

There is NO way Phil D would literally EVER fire RG. Well outside of RG being CONVICTED of a serious crime. I'm serious. Mere allegations wouldn't remotely be enough, until the stain on the public image of the University was so bad the Regents stepped in and did his job for him.

I don't think even the (now an inevitable) cratering of FB season ticket revenue next year will be enough to get Phil to do jack, expect show up and talk about how great RG is and hey - BASKETBALL.

Yeah - because RG had exactly ZERO to do with acquiring Boyle. Matter of fact, now that I'm on the subject RG can't lay claim to almost any of the good coaches he's got there. Wetmore has been there forever, Boyle came of his own doing, and Sanchez in womens soccer came 2 years before RG did. Only thing RG has managed to do is NOT mess things up SO badly that those folks leave. Frankly, RG doesn't even have to manage Wetmore NOR Boyle. They both built their own success there DESPITE the administration above them. Over at Coors Events Center, Boyle more or less dictates to RG what happens....

Doesn't seem like a 'great' job to me, especially considering this clown car dumpster fire he's allowing in Football, the ONE program that really really needs to succeed, to fund the others.

They are both failing the University.
There is one person smiling. Mike Bohn. RG's colossal fail in hiring HCKD makes everyone forget about his bringing in D II Danny and Embree.

He is doing well at UC Davis, and I am happy for him. He was not successful here. I will try to move on from it.
I must apologize, I was speaking of Danny Sanchez in womens soccer having a good record, not Dan 'intramurals' Hawkins. It's unreal ANY program hired that fool.
Good god.

I don’t really understand the metric, but generally being the extreme bottom left on a graph is bad right?
The Buffs' offense is ranked last on both of these efficiency metrics for offense. That tracks what we know to be true. To be fair, the number 2 team in the country doesn't fare much better on these rankings, however.

Comes down to 2 things: Utah has had good coaching hires / coaching consistency and they recruit well. This is not rocket surgery.
Utah knows what it is. Colorado hasn’t had the consistency. Utah, 300# interior line, lane rush, run first, line first. They have been that since Urban.

I cannot say what Colorado is. My best guess is build around your strength and linebackers. We rode some receivers and Taz.

The Buffs' offense is ranked last on both of these efficiency metrics for offense. That tracks what we know to be true. To be fair, the number 2 team in the country doesn't fare much better on these rankings, however.
Nebraska is one of the top teams in the country on these rankings as well

I don’t really understand the metric, but generally being the extreme bottom left on a graph is bad right?

Essentially:

Lower Left: Bad, inefficient offense. (no yards, no points)
Lower Right: Good offense, but inefficient at scoring points. (lotsa yards, no points)
Upper Left: Bad offense, but scoring points at a better rate than their offense should (no yards, lotsa points)
Upper right: Good, efficient offense (lotsa yards, lotsa points)

Edit:

The good news is that we're on the trendline, so the offense is just as bad as it looks. We're not leaving any points on the field! LOL :facepalm:

Last edited:
Back