What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

Well, we almost had that with Phil Anchutz. Problem was that he sunk his billion or so 100% into the medical school. And with all that, we still have no cure for cancer. We do have a really great med school, though. World class, or so I’m told. I will never be critical of somebody who does that, but man, it would have been nice if a bit of that could have gone to the CU AD. That, unfortunately, is one of those few instances where any funds given to the CU AD would have needed to be diverted from funds donated to the med school. That’s a bad look.

Well, we almost had that with Phil Anchutz. Problem was that he sunk his billion or so 100% into the medical school. And with all that, we still have no cure for cancer. We do have a really great med school, though. World class, or so I’m told. I will never be critical of somebody who does that, but man, it would have been nice if a bit of that could have gone to the CU AD. That, unfortunately, is one of those few instances where any funds given to the CU AD would have needed to be diverted from funds donated to the med school. That’s a bad look.
Anschutz would not be a donor to CU athletics, he is a KU alum and a big donor to their sports. Boulder does not align with his political views. His $300 Million investment in the medical center was never specifically to cure cancer so I don't think you can put that as a negative on him. Him and his wife have a big interest Health Care and Medical research.

Phil was never going to support CU athletics. He was a KU grad (along with his spouse). The medical school was a pure philanthropy deal which put his name on the entire campus.

So I've been gone a while. Man that 4th down call on Saturday.....UCLA goes 37-0 after half time and that moron reporter Brian Howell just carries water for the coaching staff blames it on injuries lmao. Only thing more pathetic than the Buffs football program is the softballs that cover it.
Pathetic.

Really need Trey Parker and Matt Stone to step up, they are probably the wealthiest alums that might actually care. Celebrity net worth pings them at $600+ mil each. Mohamed Al-Mady is probably the wealthiest alum, but I doubt he cares about football.

Just pointing out that was as close as we’ve ever come to landing the unicorn. And yes, I fully realize we weren’t really that close.

Really need Trey Parker and Matt Stone to step up, they are probably the wealthiest alums that might actually care. Celebrity net worth pings them at $600+ mil each. Mohamed Al-Mady is probably the wealthiest alum, but I doubt he cares about football.
Steve Ells supposedly has a $200MM net worth. I can tell you with absolute certainty that he attended CU games as an undergrad.

George Solich has 350ish million net worth, wasn't he rumored to donate if food cart was hired? I guess he stopped caring after that but man it would be nice to see him offer to pay for KD's buyout

I’m less worried about Dorrells payout than I am about putting the pieces in place to support a strong program. Dorrell was a mistake hire, but he’s just one facet of the problem. My concern is that we will spend a lot of money to fire Dorrell and then get somebody else who isn’t any better.

I’m less worried about Dorrells payout than I am about putting the pieces in place to support a strong program. Dorrell was a mistake hire, but he’s just one facet of the problem. My concern is that we will spend a lot of money to fire Dorrell and then get somebody else who isn’t any better.
You won't get anyone better until RG is flushed. Mark my words.

Who hired RG? And Bohn? Turns out Bohn wasn’t as big of a disaster as we all thought. Maybe RG isn’t either. I think we need to aim higher.
Actually many posts ago, I laid out for all to read why RG isn't going anywhere and why that's the case....boils down to a bromance more or less. RG won't leave until RG finally can't hide from the fires he's created. He will leave to the next pasture just as the light from the fire can be seen

I do wonder what it would be like to have a genuine big program athletic director at CU. Somebody who knows how to guide an athletic department and make the course corrections needed while navigating admin indifference. The problem, as I see it, is that the same people who would hire that person are invested in not having somebody who fits that description in that job.

I do wonder what it would be like to have a genuine big program athletic director at CU. Somebody who knows how to guide an athletic department and make the course corrections needed while navigating admin indifference. The problem, as I see it, is that the same people who would hire that person are invested in not having somebody who fits that description in that job.
Yup. The real issue is nothing can be done until and unless CU STOPS hiring former CU athletes to run and coach the program. Being associated with 'greatness' that happened in 1990 over THIRTY years ago is NOT a prediction of future 'greatness' - if anything those experiments have laid out that is the OPPOSITE of what we should be looking for.

Until RG goes, it's going to continue.

The president, chancellor, and athletic director have never been on the same level of how they view and support the athletic department, and specifically football. This goes all the way back to Mac and Rick N.

Nothing will change until that happens. They don't necessarily need a billionaire donor but until everyone is in agreement that a strong football program/athletic department is an absolute priority nothing else matters. This includes bending arbitrary ncaa rules and lax admission for athletes who may not originally qualify for the School.

That still doesn't mean CU can't field competitive programs in football and other sports. This means you absolutely have to hit on your head coach as you won't have leeway if you don't.

Last edited:
I remember when Illinois was sniffing around for a new AD. Some of us, me included, were worried they would snatch up RG. Darn you Illini, why didn't you save us from ourselves?

Last edited:
I don't know if this really fits in this thread, but I think it's time for CFB to look at the way head coaches contracts are structured. Exceptional performance is generally rewarded with bonuses on top of the base salary, while poor performance is ignored contractually for the most part. I get that there isn't a lot of job security for a HC, and contracts are structured to make it difficult/expensive to get rid of an underperforming coach. In any other job, documented underperformance is basis for being fired with cause. In football there are countless documented, objective indicators of success (or failure). It would be so easy for a school to set basic minimum criteria for performance, under which a coach could be fired with cause without any buyout. I'm not talking about a coach at Alabama being fired with cause for not winning the national championship, but when a coach is really objectively a failure. In a situation like CU is in where they made an obviously bad hire, it would give the school an out and prevent them from having to continue a downward spiral until they could afford to make a change. I know it will likely never happen, but it should in my opinion.

I don't know if this really fits in this thread, but I think it's time for CFB to look at the way head coaches contracts are structured. Exceptional performance is generally rewarded with bonuses on top of the base salary, while poor performance is ignored contractually for the most part. I get that there isn't a lot of job security for a HC, and contracts are structured to make it difficult/expensive to get rid of an underperforming coach. In any other job, documented underperformance is basis for being fired with cause. In football there are countless documented, objective indicators of success (or failure). It would be so easy for a school to set basic minimum criteria for performance, under which a coach could be fired with cause without any buyout. I'm not talking about a coach at Alabama being fired with cause for not winning the national championship, but when a coach is really objectively a failure. In a situation like CU is in where they made an obviously bad hire, it would give the school an out and prevent them from having to continue a downward spiral until they could afford to make a change. I know it will likely never happen, but it should in my opinion.
Why would a coach, in demand, sign a contract like that? The fix to this is to not make bad hires. And to have an AD that negotiates to protect the school as best they can, for cases where the hire doesn’t work out (or, works out so well that the coach leaves for a better job).

Why would a coach, in demand, sign a contract like that? The fix to this is to not make bad hires. And to have an AD that negotiates to protect the school as best they can, for cases where the hire doesn’t work out (or, works out so well that the coach leaves for a better job).
Sure, it would be nice to never make a bad hire, but the reality is a lot of coaching hires just don't work out that well. You're right, no coach now would sign a contract like that which is why it would probably never happen. However, something like this could give schools a reason to take a little more risk and give younger, up and coming coaches a shot rather than the constant retread of same coaches making the rounds from school to school. I just think the pendulum has swung too far to the side of protecting the coaches interests in the contracts, and could make some movement back toward protecting the schools a bit more.

Sure, it would be nice to never make a bad hire, but the reality is a lot of coaching hires just don't work out that well. You're right, no coach now would sign a contract like that which is why it would probably never happen. However, something like this could give schools a reason to take a little more risk and give younger, up and coming coaches a shot rather than the constant retread of same coaches making the rounds from school to school. I just think the pendulum has swung too far to the side of protecting the coaches interests in the contracts, and could make some movement back toward protecting the schools a bit more.
it's just supply and demand, though, right? If two schools want a coach, the coach is going to sign with the school that gives him the better deal. You can offer a coach a contract with 0 guaranteed money, but just don't be surprised when he chooses to work somewhere else, and you get stuck with a coach that has no other options.

it's just supply and demand, though, right? If two schools want a coach, the coach is going to sign with the school that gives him the better deal. You can offer a coach a contract with 0 guaranteed money, but just don't be surprised when he chooses to work somewhere else, and you get stuck with a coach that has no other options.
The same is going to be true with players, frankly.

George Solich has 350ish million net worth, wasn't he rumored to donate if food cart was hired? I guess he stopped caring after that but man it would be nice to see him offer to pay for KD's buyout

This won't happen. Rick George managed to alienate George Solich, and to my knowledge, RG has made no attempts to repair the relationship.

Back