What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

This won't happen. Rick George managed to alienate George Solich, and to my knowledge, RG has made no attempts to repair the relationship.

How did he alienate him? It was Bohn who was responsible for food cart mess. If true though then RG truly brings nothing at all to CU. Bad coaching hire, nad negotiator, bad booster relations, bad fan relations, free shoes. Literally worthless to CU at this point

I really doubt a billionaire would plow money into the mediocrity the administration provides. I am not sure about Oregon, but I'll bet Phil Knight looks at the leadership and does not see incompetence. Money can cure a lot of ills, like, say cancer, but it cannot cure institutional inertia that trends towards anti-athletics.
If I had billions of dollars wtf would I give it to CUAD? I could buy an NFL, NBA or Soccer franchise with that money and double or triple my investment. Giving to CU would be like lighting it on fire.

A more effective message might even possibly be to very publicly give to O or USC or Bama to let them know youre money is meant for a winner.

CU needs to figure some things out. Right now the history seems to be the Chuck Fairbanks chapter all over again.

Reality is that CUs biggest benefactor is sports TV network X. For now. Enhancing the on field product lifts the conference. If the whole conference responds everyone gets a bigger payday. Right now that 2022 TV deal is probably gonna piss everyone here off because the product mostly sucks across the conference.

Last edited:
Unicorn GIF by MOODMAN

Good luck with the Unicorn hunting.
And MSU AD make two calls and made it happen.

Jeremy Bloom is qualified
He is CEO of his company Integrate
I get the former Buff angst, but when a former Buff is actually talented, open your ****ing eyes before you comment
I’m a total ass for resurrecting this Jeremy Bloom for AD suggestion from a week ago, but I’m shocked that nobody came in to point out that one of our most successful hires as AD was a total inside the family hire in Bill Marolt. He was a CU grad competing on the ski team, Olympic skier, and then served as the CU ski coach before snagging the AD job. He really had zero experience outside of being a skier and ski coach. He had a great 12 year run into 1996 before being tabbed to run the U.S. Ski Association. He’s a Buff legend.

Edit. I should also point out that Marolt was also the guy who in his first year as AD fought off the naysayers and gave Bill McCartney a contract extension after a 1-10 season. They formed one of the best duos in college sports.

I’m a total ass for resurrecting this Jeremy Bloom for AD suggestion from a week ago, but I’m shocked that nobody came in to point out that one of our most successful hires as AD was a total inside the family hire in Bill Marolt. He was a CU grad competing on the ski team, Olympic skier, and then served as the CU ski coach before snagging the AD job. He really had zero experience outside of being a skier and ski coach. He had a great 12 year run into 1996 before being tabbed to run the U.S. Ski Association. He’s a Buff legend.

Edit. I should also point out that Marolt was also the guy who in his first year as AD fought off the naysayers and gave Bill McCartney a contract extension after a 1-10 season. They formed one of the best duos in college sports.
So you're hoping Tad wants the AD job?

At least we know he's good at scheduling, figured out how to recruit to Colorado, built support for his program within the state so that in-State talent wants to play at CU, has developed a lot of coaches, has a finance/business background, and has connected former players with his program like never before. Oh yeah - he also wins and doesn't tolerate soft play.

At least we know he's good at scheduling, figured out how to recruit to Colorado, built support for his program within the state so that in-State talent wants to play at CU, has developed a lot of coaches, has a finance/business background, and has connected former players with his program like never before. Oh yeah - he also wins and doesn't tolerate soft play.
I’m not necessarily opposed to Tad when the time comes, if he’s even interested. There’s a lot to like about him in that position. However, I’m not really pushing any candidate for the job. I just think that the AD position isn’t necessarily a “resume position” that requires a certain progression through the ranks.

I also think it’s more acceptable to hire within the CU family for AD (as opposed to coaches where prior connections to the university should be far lower on the hiring criteria). Different skill sets.

RG needs to get in touch with these two individuals and start helping with some free marketing at athletic events. Help them get this app off the ground as much as possible to hopefully turn them into BMDs if/when they sell this thing for 9-10 figures.

Edit: They were/are on the football team! Lol

I'd keep CU's best basketball coach in history, coaching CU basketball. Seems like a good fit.

He definitely says the right things. Proof will be in the rest of recruiting and staff changes I guess. Howell also says much of the class will be portal.
It’s been a challenging season; it really has in a lot of ways,” George said. “But, I’m ready to provide whatever support we need to get to that next level. That’s the role that I’m going to play in this. Karl and I will have a lot of discussions and, again, I’m very confident in him, because he’s a good football coach. He’s a smart guy.

“What I can do is provide the resources to provide the support that he needs, but do we have the right coach? Absolutely. Do we need to make some changes and some fixes? Absolutely, and we will.”

Those specific changes will be ironed out between George and Dorrell after the season, he said, but he added that CU will support the program financially to make positive changes, including possible staff adjustments.

For now, CU and George are behind Dorrell, who is in the second year of a five-year contract, and George hopes a weary fan base can support him, too.

“I want the same thing that (the fans) want,” George said. “It’s hard for me to say, ‘You need to have patience,’ because they’ve shown a lot of patience to this point. Now we’ve got to start delivering and I get that, but it’s not time to move on. It’s time to really get behind our staff and our student-athletes and support them because we’re going to be fine. We’ll be fine. A year from now we’re gonna have a much different discussion.”

He definitely says the right things. Proof will be in the rest of recruiting and staff changes I guess. Howell also says much of the class will be portal.

Good god. The portal. Sure, yeah. That’s been great for them so far, right? The best portal transfer of late is an unproven QB who “looked great in practice” before hurting himself via non-contact. Awesome.

Get to the next level... Hmm. Okay, does that mean mediocre because you just got your ass handed to you by the 5th best team in the worst power five conference? Oh, and Rick. That notion that Karl Dorrell is a good football coach? Based on exactly what criteria? Cuz his history is brutally awful. So, yeah, uh, he’s not a good football coach. Bill Parcells always said you are what your record says you are and his record sucks.

We. Are. Doomed.

“A year from now we’re gonna have a much different discussion” I hope that is true, one way or the other.

If I had billions of dollars wtf would I give it to CUAD? I could buy an NFL, NBA or Soccer franchise with that money and double or triple my investment. Giving to CU would be like lighting it on fire.

A more effective message might even possibly be to very publicly give to O or USC or Bama to let them know youre money is meant for a winner.

CU needs to figure some things out. Right now the history seems to be the Chuck Fairbanks chapter all over again.

Reality is that CUs biggest benefactor is sports TV network X. For now. Enhancing the on field product lifts the conference. If the whole conference responds everyone gets a bigger payday. Right now that 2022 TV deal is probably gonna piss everyone here off because the product mostly sucks across the conference.
Your* money but I get your point

Brian caught RG? I am surprised, RG has those new shoes and all, I figured he would be hard to catch.

Talk is cheap. Post some wins and I'll pay attention. WSU is bowl eligible for the 6th time in 7 seasons. RG has been on the job 8. Why can a crappy institution like WSU run circles around CU, RG?

As others have said, on what planet does HCKD's past record indicate he is a good coach?

I don't understand how this is the right thing to say. RG sounds like what he is in this interview, an arrogant, lazy, repeatedly unsuccessful AD that doesn't want to do his job and rid the department of a terrible hire, and is exhausted by the fans' resultant and quite deserved negativity after two decades of dumpster fire FB.

Someone in the sports info department really needs to send RG to a PR workshop for a month. Most completely tone deaf out of touch AD and football program in all of power 5.

Remember, RG has not hired a single coach there with any success. The three that are worth anything (Boyle, Sanchez and Wetmore) were all there at least one year previous to RGs pitiful first day on the job.

I guess a lot of fans like myself share one thing in common with him. We wished he would shut up and he wishes we would. He should be careful, because when people finally do shut up Folsom is going to be a lonely place. For whatever reason, RG behaves like a man that doesn't think that's possible. Allowing Duh-rell and company to rely on the portal instead of any real actual recruiting work is a good first step toward making that happen.

The man is in complete denial about the whole situation.

Brian caught RG? I am surprised, RG has those new shoes and all, I figured he would be hard to catch.

Talk is cheap. Post some wins and I'll pay attention. WSU is bowl eligible for the 6th time in 7 seasons. RG has been on the job 8. Why can a crappy institution like WSU run circles around CU, RG?

As others have said, on what planet does HCKD's past record indicate he is a good coach?
Yup. I personally was rather angered by this whole out of touch interview. Poor RG doesn't like the negativity he's directly responsible for allowing to manifest....getting paid handsomely in the process to do it. Complaining to a clearly overly sympathetic Boulder beat reporter about it comes off as childish and frankly, rather classless.

RG and KD are good at excuses and blame. So is Howell. Sadly, that umbrella is over the entire football program at the moment. Excuses and blame is the only thing they seem to have in excess supply.

Because theyre not CU?

How does Mike Bohn go from being rated as the worst AD evar to getting the job at USC? Ask yourself that. Could the problems be CU internal? In the overhead above RG? The evidence seems to suggest this to me.

Here's another indication of where RGs administration is. They bother to advertise this 'second screen' web page that is supposed to have live updated stats. Well heck, I wanted to see CU's miserable half time offense production today....I go to this link that's supposed to be live and it's showing the results of last weeks UW game.

:confused:

History has shown that CU, institutionally, does not and will not support football enough to generate recurring winning records. From the way the BOR is structured and elected to its unrealistic and inflated academic self image, it just isn’t going to get the institutional support needed.

The only way out of this is via private infusion of money. That’s going to require a major benefactor, and I’m talking like a billionaire, to somehow emerge and donate to the effort and work to build an athletic department with the kind of leadership and strategy that we see elsewhere. The problem is there is no billionaire alumnae out there. They don’t exist. The closest we probably have is Matt Stone and Trey Parker and while they appear to have some interest in CU sports, it doesn’t seem like they’re willing to take a bigger plunge.

That’s all I got. Someone has to swing for the fences or this program is a deadman walking.
I know of at least one billionaire booster. But billionaires don’t like making bad investments.

Here's the case against Rick George:

(1) He didn't hire MacIntyre, but he did undermine him with the whole Jim Leavitt fiasco where Leavitt was openly campaigning to take over. Rick was listening and let it go on for a long time. It soured MacIntyre in a big way and ended up hating RG and not really giving a ****. This is according to several players I knew thru my kids on the team at that time, including captains. Plural. It was a big ****ing **** show. The players stated across the board that Leavitt was a joke and MacIntyre was always very involved in the defense. Lance Carl and Rick were very enamored with Leavitt as they were the ones that pushed Mac to hire him.

(2) Rick mishandled the Tumpkin deal. MacIntyre went to Rick right away. Rick should have had a team of folks making sure that MacIntyre was handling everything by the book but instead Mac was trying to prep for a bowl game without his recently departed DC. Not exonerating Mac here, but this thing was a ****-show and the AD should have ran interference and handled it.

(3) Rick/Lance forced Mac to fire Lindgren and promote Chev/Adams as co-DCs. After a fast start, the offense imploded. The OL looked lost (sound familiar) and we lose 7 straight. Mac is fired, but somehow Chev publicly campaigns for the job.

(4) Rick screws up Mac's contract and the agents are LOL at CU for what they must pay Mac.

(5) Chev is retained by Tucker as WR coach, mainly because he seems competent as a WR coach, has a big contract, and is a Buff and friend of Ricks. He also must have very compromising pictures of Rick.

(6) When Midnight Mel moves out of the AD in the middle of the night, Rick panics and after a run at Sark, hires KD. Then gives him the biggest contract ever given to someone so unproven. With bad buyout terms as well (again).

(7) Then we learn that the contract that Rick gave KD is a complete joke (again) and we are stuck with it.

So if the best you can do is tell me that Rick is good at raising money, then ask him to do his job. There's a ton of very rich CU Tech alums and other locals (see Dan Caruso for one) who are Buff fans. Rick needs to clean house now. It's that bad. KD has no chance to hire a good OC who can also bring in a good OL coach. And even if he does, our DC is the absolute worse in the conference (you can tell me next year I was right). Our ST coach is actually very good. Not sure who that is, but he should be retained if he can recruit.

This is an inflection point with NIL happening now. CU fans will support a winner but if we are going to be this bad next year (again) we will be the poorest of the poor and we will have no chance to dig out. It's like when the tide shifted to BCS playoffs and if you were not a P5 team, you were financially screwed. Now is the time.

Here's the case against Rick George:

(1) He didn't hire MacIntyre, but he did undermine him with the whole Jim Leavitt fiasco where Leavitt was openly campaigning to take over. Rick was listening and let it go on for a long time. It soured MacIntyre in a big way and ended up hating RG and not really giving a ****. This is according to several players I knew thru my kids on the team at that time, including captains. Plural. It was a big ****ing **** show. The players stated across the board that Leavitt was a joke and MacIntyre was always very involved in the defense. Lance Carl and Rick were very enamored with Leavitt as they were the ones that pushed Mac to hire him.

(2) Rick mishandled the Tumpkin deal. MacIntyre went to Rick right away. Rick should have had a team of folks making sure that MacIntyre was handling everything by the book but instead Mac was trying to prep for a bowl game without his recently departed DC. Not exonerating Mac here, but this thing was a ****-show and the AD should have ran interference and handled it.

(3) Rick/Lance forced Mac to fire Lindgren and promote Chev/Adams as co-DCs. After a fast start, the offense imploded. The OL looked lost (sound familiar) and we lose 7 straight. Mac is fired, but somehow Chev publicly campaigns for the job.

(4) Rick screws up Mac's contract and the agents are LOL at CU for what they must pay Mac.

(5) Chev is retained by Tucker as WR coach, mainly because he seems competent as a WR coach, has a big contract, and is a Buff and friend of Ricks. He also must have very compromising pictures of Rick.

(6) When Midnight Mel moves out of the AD in the middle of the night, Rick panics and after a run at Sark, hires KD. Then gives him the biggest contract ever given to someone so unproven. With bad buyout terms as well (again).

(7) Then we learn that the contract that Rick gave KD is a complete joke (again) and we are stuck with it.

So if the best you can do is tell me that Rick is good at raising money, then ask him to do his job. There's a ton of very rich CU Tech alums and other locals (see Dan Caruso for one) who are Buff fans. Rick needs to clean house now. It's that bad. KD has no chance to hire a good OC who can also bring in a good OL coach. And even if he does, our DC is the absolute worse in the conference (you can tell me next year I was right). Our ST coach is actually very good. Not sure who that is, but he should be retained if he can recruit.

This is an inflection point with NIL happening now. CU fans will support a winner but if we are going to be this bad next year (again) we will be the poorest of the poor and we will have no chance to dig out. It's like when the tide shifted to BCS playoffs and if you were not a P5 team, you were financially screwed. Now is the time.

Yeah, but he’s a true Buff and loves Coach Mac.

Back