What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

There was definitely a good-sized contingent that hated the hire, yourself included. There was almost no one, on this site at least, that met the hiring of Dorrell with enthusiasm. The group in the middle was kind of like “well, he’s been hired, track record isn’t so good, hasn’t been in college a long time, but he did got to bowls at UCLA, so there’s that. Is he really any worse than Jim Mora, Jr.?”. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Fans have to have hope, though, so they seek any glimmer.
This makes me sad. RG sparked a lot of enthusiasm by going out and hiring Mel Tucker. Then, after Mel Tucker left for a better opportunity, RG got the yips.

RG treated the Dorrell hire like some folks treat relationships. They start dating a beautfiul catch and have a lovely short-lived romance. There’s pain when things don’t work out. Instead of wanting to only be with a partner who matches all of your criteria, you settle on a mediocre and homely one simply because they are loyal and won’t leave. Loyalty is important, but it is insufficient. Many people stay because they can’t do any better and fear loneliness more than they fear the risk of being hurt by a soulmate via true closeness.

Acting out of the fear of rejection is not the way to manage a successful organization or to find romantic fulfillment.

Last edited:
Week 1 and 2: Fire Chev
Week 3: Fire Dorrell
Week 4: Fire RG

Self-Preservation drives most life decisions. Heads will roll but it will start from the bottom, and soon

This makes me sad. RG sparked a lot of enthusiasm by going out and hiring Mel Tucker. Then, after Mel Tucker left for a better opportunity, RG got the yips.

RG treated the Dorrell hire like some folks treat relationships. They start dating a beautfiul catch and have a lovely short-lived romance. There’s pain when things don’t work out. Instead of wanting to only be with a partner who matches all of your criteria, you settle on a mediocre and homely one simply because they are loyal and won’t leave. Loyalty is important, but it is insufficient. Many people don’t leave because they can’t do any better and fear loneliness more than they fear the risk of being hurt by a soulmate.

Acting out of the fear of rejection is not the way to manage a successful organization or to find romantic fulfillment.
Yeah, Tucker was the right type of hire. Dorrell is the bad re-tread hire that teams like Kansas make (Charlie Weiss, Les Miles). Your explanation for Rick George’s decision is as good as any. He panicked.

RollTad said “we all….” It was not all of us. Last year, many of you were talking about how great the team was, etc. without looking at the core metrics for success at this level. Last year’s team was due for a mean reversion in a bizarre year, When the recruiting class sucked, we got the same incorrect tired excuse “we just need to win first!” The problem with that thinking is that recruiting is a necessary component for winning at this level.

Y’all can hate me all you want. I’m not going to stop telling the truth. I want this program to succeed. I stopped being a donor when the AD gave up on the goals and values he himself set forth.
Well, I don’t hate you and you nailed it. If anything KD was on the coattails of the former coach’s coaching and has, since, reduced the program to his staff’s level.

1 and 3 were discussed around here at the time by multiple people, but ultimately they are rumors/speculation, hence the “if”’in my post. 2 happened, we can all see it, and Dorrell didn’t do it so the number of people who could have been responsible is pretty small.
Then don't throw them up here and allege they're facts like you did in your OP.

What a cluster****! Seemingly great hire with the former guy. He suddenly splits leaving CU in the lurch at the worst possible time. RG panics and hires KD. Covid wipes out the season. On top of that the Pac has the worst television deal of the major conferences. We miss a season’s worth of revenue. The AD is cash strapped and we are stuck with, possibly, the worst coaching staff of all P5 programs. Donors appear to be balking. Season ticket holders have had enough. Our best recruits may walk. Our talent level is poor. The NIL rules will only widen the gap. We ****ed.

What a cluster****! Seemingly great hire with the former guy. He suddenly splits leaving CU in the lurch at the worst possible time. RG panics and hires KD. Covid wipes out the season. On top of that the Pac has the worst television deal of the major conferences. We miss a season’s worth of revenue. The AD is cash strapped and we are stuck with, possibly, the worst coaching staff of all P5 programs. Donors appear to be balking. Season ticket holders have had enough. Our best recruits may walk. Our talent level is poor. The NIL rules will only widen the gap. We ****ed.
Correct.

There was definitely a good-sized contingent that hated the hire, yourself included. There was almost no one, on this site at least, that met the hiring of Dorrell with enthusiasm. The group in the middle was kind of like “well, he’s been hired, track record isn’t so good, hasn’t been in college in a long time, but he did go to bowls at UCLA, so there’s that. Is he really any worse than Jim Mora, Jr.?”. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Fans have to have hope, though, so they seek any glimmer.
Yep. Became an "it is what it is" situation on an uninspired and almost assuredly bad hire. What can you do but support him and hope for the best , especially when he seems like the kind of person you'd naturally want to see succeed?

I think we're moving strongly in the direction of getting rid of certain Regents. Money & organized efforts to drive people like Kroll off the Board.
Until RG is able to keep the modest promises that were made to MT, I'm not sure how much of this all matters. I don't think anyone is proposing that we turn CU into LSU, but more accommodation of a modern athletic department needs to happen.

I think we're moving strongly in the direction of getting rid of certain Regents. Money & organized efforts to drive people like Kroll off the Board.
That would be coming in the form of BMD donations to polical campaigns of those Regents' opponents?

Why do you believe this? Are seeing or hearing things about it?
Twitter conversations.

For example, Kroll is now at CU-B instead of CU-D campus. Does he still live in / eligible to run for & represent the 1st District. Hasn't filed his re-election paperwork yet.

Looking to draft a pro-athletics Dem for the D1 primary and there are people who would donate & endorse. This needs to happen.

Until RG is able to keep the modest promises that were made to MT, I'm not sure how much of this all matters. I don't think anyone is proposing that we turn CU into LSU, but more accommodation of a modern athletic department needs to happen.
Could you share more about these promises?

A lot of ambiguous references to these promises have been made lately on Allbuffs with multiple requests for clarification and citation, but crickets.

Is this just another fan message board rumor that grew out if an attempt to explain things where we don't have the whole story?

Twitter conversations.

For example, Kroll is now at CU-B instead of CU-D campus. Does he still live in / eligible to run for & represent the 1st District. Hasn't filed his re-election paperwork yet.

Looking to draft a pro-athletics Dem for the D1 primary and there are people who would donate & endorse. This needs to happen.
This is the key. get a bunch of candidates on either side, who are willing to make athletics a priority... just to cover your bases

getting him off the BOR is a start, but he is also employed by CU. He runs admissions for the Boulder Campus. Was he qualified? Of course not. Is it against University rules for a regent to work for the school he is supposed to be supervising? You betcha. Can an ambitious little turd with an axe to grind mess with the football program if he is charge of admissions? Yep.

Twitter conversations.

Kroll has always been at UCB....

Could you share more about these promises?

A lot of ambiguous references to these promises have been made lately on Allbuffs with multiple requests for clarification and citation, but crickets.

Is this just another fan message board rumor that grew out if an attempt to explain things where we don't have the whole story?
I don’t want to speak for JR but this was something that was discussed on the board way back when MT left. I don’t recall the origin of this report, but seemed credible enough at the time. I have no idea if it’s true and I’m not going to dig it up from 20 months ago, but this is not new.

getting him off the BOR is a start, but he is also employed by CU. He runs admissions for the Boulder Campus. Was he qualified? Of course not. Is it against University rules for a regent to work for the school he is supposed to be supervising? You betcha. Can an ambitious little turd with an axe to grind mess with the football program if he is charge of admissions? Yep.
Yeah. Maybe. But as an employee he answers to others. His job depends on how they evaluate him.

Yeah. Maybe. But as an employee he answers to others. His job depends on how they evaluate him.
He is a member of the Board of Regents, and if you think anybody is going to be giving him a poor performance review then you are completely crazy. There is reason why there is a rule against BOR members working for the university, and this illustrates it. He doesnt answer to others, because his ostensible supervisors ultimately answer to him.

He is a member of the Board of Regents, and if you think anybody is going to be giving him a poor performance review then you are completely crazy. There is reason why there is WAS a rule against BOR members working for the university, and this illustrates it. He doesnt answer to others, because his ostensible supervisors ultimately answer to him.
FIFY. They suspended the rule because they're spineless **** twads.

He is a member of the Board of Regents, and if you think anybody is going to be giving him a poor performance review then you are completely crazy. There is reason why there is a rule against BOR members working for the university, and this illustrates it. He doesnt answer to others, because his ostensible supervisors ultimately answer to him.
Yeah. My point assumed he was no longer a regent and only an employee.

CU management reminds me of the Rockies. Run things on the cheap with the hope we get lucky. How’s that working out?
Academically, were behind Cal and Standford and on par with UW and UCLA. Maybe even between those 4.

The higher the academics in this conference the less winning there seems to be 😑

McCartney and Gee spoiled us.

Back