What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

I wish we had an AD like USC

I'm incredibly pleased by this. We are slowly eliminating all the causes and sources of appropriate blame for this decades-plus slide past mediocrity... We have fired and hired throughout the program, while the "very top" people and procedures have remained--far too--consistently in place.

This presents almost a Holmesian solution: "Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Truth: the problem with CU athletics starts at the very, very top. Perhaps, not entirely revelatory at this point, but Q.E.D. I'm so pleased. Now, finally, something will get done.... by.... those... people.... (Hmmmm.) at the very.... very.... top?

Shoot. This may be more problematic than I thought.

It’s increasingly clear that while he might have been a part of the problem, his part was relatively minor. His shortcomings here magically evaporated at Cincinnati and USC. Strange how that happens.
So the Athletic Director had a “minor” role in the performance of the… athletic department? Hmmm

Bohn hired 3 failed football coaches at CU. We are in this predicament directly because of him. Haven’t we gone over this 100X?

So the Athletic Director had a “minor” role in the performance of the… athletic department? Hmmm

Bohn hired 3 failed football coaches at CU. We are in this predicament directly because of him. Haven’t we gone over this 100X?
Yeah. We have gone over it 100x. And still people don’t seem to understand that Bohn was set up to fail. A guy doesn’t go from being one of the best ADs in the country to being a complete disaster, and then go right back to being one of the best ADs in the country. The problem at CU wasn’t Bohn. It was CU. And history is repeating itself with RG. Look at the guy who was Bohns boss and you’ll see where the problem lies. (Hint, that same guy is also RGs boss).

Mike Bohn had some successes at Colorado. Unfortunately, he didn’t hit with his football coach hires. He rehabbed his imaged alongside a very good football coach hire and parlayed that into the U$C job with bottomless AD coffers.

Getting a guy to leave a shythole in Oklahoma for 9 figures in Los Angeles was a nice win but only possible because of the pedigree of the program (and boosters tired of meh).

Mike Bohn had some successes at Colorado. Unfortunately, he didn’t hit with his football coach hires. He rehabbed his imaged alongside a very good football coach hire and parlayed that into the U$C job with bottomless AD coffers.

Getting a guy to leave a shythole in Oklahoma for 9 figures in Los Angeles was a nice win but only possible because of the pedigree of the program (and boosters tired of meh).
True, but who were the ADs before him at SC who couldn't leverage the pedigree, boosters and bottomless coffers into poaching a top 5 coach in the sport? There are a lot of ****holes in Middle America and the South that elite coaches have and do call home.

Maybe Mike Bohn is just the luckiest, most fortunate AD in history of just always seemingly falling upward, in spite of his ineptitude. I'm thinking that's not the case, though.

He learned on the job at CU and that helped his tenures at Cincy and USC. We got the guy who didn't fully grasp the challenges of running a P5 football program.

His biggest mistake may have been leaking Butch Jones as the primary target before Jones was 100% taking the job.

True, but who were the ADs before him at SC who couldn't leverage the pedigree, boosters and bottomless coffers into poaching a top 5 coach in the sport? There are a lot of ****holes in Middle America and the South that elite coaches have and do call home.

Maybe Mike Bohn is just the luckiest, most fortunate AD in history of just always seemingly falling upward, in spite of his ineptitude. I'm thinking that's not the case, though.
The previous hires weren’t professional University Administrators. Lynn Swann and Pat Haden thought that they could right the ship without actual experience or skill. I think U$C admins got spooked by the aftermath of the Pete Carroll/Reggie Bush sanctions era and were reserved about endorsing full fledged spending. Bohn got into a good situation with NIL and a fanbase tired of meh.

He learned on the job at CU and that helped his tenures at Cincy and USC. We got the guy who didn't fully grasp the challenges of running a P5 football program.

His biggest mistake may have been leaking Butch Jones as the primary target before Jones was 100% taking the job.
I can buy this. What I can’t buy is the notion that we are in the position we are in today because of Mike Bohns incompetence. He wasn’t perfect, but he gets the blame for a lot of stuff like keeping Hawkins an extra year and hiring Embree that were, in my opinion, decisions that were forced on him.

I can buy this. What I can’t buy is the notion that we are in the position we are in today because of Mike Bohns incompetence. He wasn’t perfect, but he gets the blame for a lot of stuff like keeping Hawkins an extra year and hiring Embree that were, in my opinion, decisions that were forced on him.

Right. He was only part of the problem, not necessarily the main problem.

the HFC position has strings attached in terms of who you can and can not recruit to avoid another recruiting scandal while PD is in charge. DH, MM, and JE understood that and accepted the job anyways. MT didnt hear it or didnt ask the right questions. But he bolted the moment he "figured it out". That leaves KD. Another ho hum hire. Money was a problem in some of those hires or in the ability to hire or retain good assistants.

This is my operating theory. Like it or not, no matter the AD, the pattern repeats itself. CU currently or recently does not take it's football seriously.

I was at the holiday concert at Macky last night and they took time to let everyone know that DiStefano was in the house. I may have been the only one not joining in the applause.
I was at commencement on Thursday morning, and DiStefano was very aggressively booed by the graduates. They had to stop announcing his name before his parts of the program after the second time he came to the podium. The rest of the time he just started talking.

I was at commencement on Thursday morning, and DiStefano was very aggressively booed by the graduates. They had to stop announcing his name before his parts of the program after the second time he came to the podium. The rest of the time he just started talking.
Was there as well and my son, who graduated, said the students were all over the booing. It was as loud as any cheer anyone got

Was there as well and my son, who graduated, said the students were all over the booing. It was as loud as any cheer anyone got
I have asked this question before and think it is worth asking again.

In his time as Chancellor what even one element of the University of Colorado at Boulder has gotten better, what academic program has grown in status, what has happened that makes a degree from the university, any degree more valuable to the student, what area of research has the university become known as a leader in?

This question does not even touch on athletics, we know the situation in athletics. They keep saying that they want to maintain and improve the academic standing of the university. Somebody tell me what has been done in this regard under the leadership of Phil DiStephano. When you look at the answer to this question for the rest of the university it isn't hard to understand why the athletic department is in the condition it is.

I have asked this question before and think it is worth asking again.

In his time as Chancellor what even one element of the University of Colorado at Boulder has gotten better relative to its peers?
You could end it here.

And I think this is the question that keeps getting asked anytime anyone starts to defend him.

The medical school improved, largely due to efforts of Rick George funding the expansion in Denver / Aurora.
It will not be popular, but I think Tucker was a good hire. He got recruiting going full speed in almost no time, and then then the horrible reality of basically an in season departure put KD at the helm. The double down on KD with extensions after a catastrophic start made everyone see how the university doesn’t care about sports. I make that sweeping statement because the football team is sports at the University. It pays for everything, or buries everything if it isn’t thriving.

The trajectory of the Utes versus the Buffs has been unbelievable. We entered the PAC with a clear lead on their programs and now are well behind.

Thank god for the flat irons!!

Last edited:
The medical school improved, largely due to efforts of Rick George funding the expansion in Denver / Aurora.
It will not be popular, but I think Tucker was a good hire. He got recruiting going full speed in almost no time, and then then the horrible reality of basically an in season departure put KD at the helm. The double down on KD with extensions after a catastrophic start made everyone see how the university doesn’t care about sports. I make that sweeping statement because the football team is sports at the University. It pays for everything, or buries everything if it isn’t thriving.

The trajectory of the Utes versus the Buffs has been unbelievable. We entered the PAC with a clear lead on their programs and now are well behind.

I think you’re confused about the KD stuff. Yes, Tucker left the program at a less than ideal time (early March), but that’s not why KD is here. KD has also not been giving an extension; he is still on his original, 5 year $18m full guaranteed contract. He also didn’t have a catastrophic start as they came out, went 4-2 and to the Alamo Bowl in 2020.

A few corrections: one, the medical school is not affiliated with CU—Boulder, which is where Phil is in charge. Two, Rick George is the AD, not the school President. Bruce Benson is probably the person you were thinking about when you mentioned funding the expansion.

Mods, can we change the title of the thread to #firePhil?

To answer @MtnBuff, I feel that CU overall has been going through a very slow decline in everything since Phil became Chancellor. I'm sure he was the one who told Bohn to hold off on firing Hawkins as CU was working behind the scenes to move to the then Pac-10.

What I still can't fathom is that Phil is a graduate of Ohio State and he knows that the only reason why Ohio State is on the map is because of football. This makes me hate Ohio State even more and I'm still happy Michigan beat those Suckeyes last season!

To answer @MtnBuff, I feel that CU overall has been going through a very slow decline in everything since Phil became Chancellor. I'm sure he was the one who told Bohn to hold off on firing Hawkins as CU was working behind the scenes to move to the then Pac-10.

What I still can't fathom is that Phil is a graduate of Ohio State and he knows that the only reason why Ohio State is on the map is because of football. This makes me hate Ohio State even more and I'm still happy Michigan beat those Suckeyes last season!
Football is a big part of Ohio States prominence but they are a quality school with some well recognized programs.

Comparison in EduRank

University of Colorado Boulder: Rankings​

University of Colorado Boulder logo

EduRank.org best universities badge

The University of Colorado Boulder ranked 46th in the United States and 64th in the World 2022 overall rankings, plus got TOP 100 in 126 academic topics. EduRank's ranking for the University of Colorado Boulder is based on 3 factors: research performance (a proprietary algorithm evaluated 117,316 publications and 5,857,567 citations), non-academic reputation, and the impact of 271 notable alumni .

#64 of 14,160In the World
#49 of 2,624In North America
#46 of 2,523In the United States
#1 of 38In Colorado
#1 of 4In Boulder
#6 of 1,182For Meteorology and Atmospheric Science
#6 of 1,002For Remote Sensing
#9 of 1,141For Astrobiology
#208 of 8,209For Alumni Impact
#65 of 14,160For Non-academic Prominence
Compared to Ohio State

Ohio State University: Rankings​

Ohio State University logo

EduRank.org best universities badge

Ohio State University ranked 25th in the United States and 30th in the World 2022 overall rankings, plus got TOP 10 in 25 academic topics. EduRank's ranking for Ohio State University is based on 3 factors: research performance (a proprietary algorithm evaluated 248,217 publications and 9,530,425 citations), non-academic reputation, and the impact of 748 notable alumni .

#30 of 14,160In the World
#26 of 2,624In North America
#25 of 2,523In the United States
#1 of 91In Ohio
#1 of 8In Columbus
#2 of 1,493For Education Majors
#5 of 1,029For Forestry
#5 of 1,016For Broadcast Journalism
#39 of 8,209For Alumni Impact
#47 of 14,160For Non-academic Prominence

At least by this ranking Ohio State is fairly highly ranked. Not as high as a couple of their conference mates like Michigan, Northwestern and maybe some others but there is no question that to the general public they are much better known for football than for academics.

What my concern is that the administration under the "leadership" of Phil DiStephano (sp) has done little to enhance the standing of the school. I don't have the rankings for when he took office but I'd gladly bet a cold mug of refreshment that the standings at that time were higher than they are now.

My niece chose Georgia over CU. Which 20 years ago would have been a head scratcher. But in 2022, Georgia is the #16 ranked public university while CU is #42. And Georgia's football team isn't garbage. How times have changed.

At least by this ranking Ohio State is fairly highly ranked. Not as high as a couple of their conference mates like Michigan, Northwestern and maybe some others but there is no question that to the general public they are much better known for football than for academics.

What my concern is that the administration under the "leadership" of Phil DiStephano (sp) has done little to enhance the standing of the school. I don't have the rankings for when he took office but I'd gladly bet a cold mug of refreshment that the standings at that time were higher than they are now.

I believe CU was higher back then than right now. I guess Phil didn't listen to Bruce Benson's comments about sports being the front porch of the university.

Without good football, where would Louisville be these days? The school rode the football train to Tier 1 status and a P5 invitation. Central Florida rode football to Tier 1 status and will be stopping at the Big 12 station next year.

Phil will have to go into the eye witness protection program if CU is left at the big time football train station and has to deal with CSU, AFA, and Wyoming as conference rivals going forward. If that realignment occurs in the next decade as rumored, CU is going to have to nail the next coaching hire after they kick KD to the curb.

Back