What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

Other than the abject failure in the core business, Covid debt, crippling contract negotiations, more money paid in severance than to active coaches, bloated executive pay, inability to secure diversified revenue streams (like naming rights), low fan engagement, donor alienation, dumpster fire PR, national ridicule, inability to enact NIL progress proactively WHILE SITTING ON THE COMMITTEE PRIOR TO ITS PASSAGE, and inability to enact change on transfer restrictions…. I’d say he’s doing a bang up job since cross country still has a HOF coach that was originally hired by CU's goat AD.
Fixed the last sentence, but damn if you didn't nail it.

Every time I feel a little bit of excitement about a new coach turning this Titanic of a FB program around, I remember RG is doing his best Capt. Smith imitation. Full speed ahead into certain disaster.

Only at CU does someone utterly fail and keep their job. RG, LC and Dr. Phil have to go.

Other than the abject failure in the core business, Covid debt, crippling contract negotiations, more money paid in severance than to active coaches, bloated executive pay, inability to secure diversified revenue streams (like naming rights), low fan engagement, donor alienation, dumpster fire PR, national ridicule, inability to enact NIL progress proactively WHILE SITTING ON THE COMMITTEE PRIOR TO ITS PASSAGE, and inability to enact change on transfer restrictions…. I’d say he’s doing a bang up job since cross country still has the altitude advantage
Tropic Thunder GIF

Other than the abject failure in the core business, Covid debt, crippling contract negotiations, more money paid in severance than to active coaches, bloated executive pay, inability to secure diversified revenue streams (like naming rights), low fan engagement, donor alienation, dumpster fire PR, national ridicule, inability to enact NIL progress proactively WHILE SITTING ON THE COMMITTEE PRIOR TO ITS PASSAGE, and inability to enact change on transfer restrictions…. I’d say he’s doing a bang up job since cross country still has the altitude advantage
I don't delve into minutia. :LOL:

I’m ready for Buff nation to unite. RG is gonna get us a great hire for Hc and we’ve got the support of president Saliman it seems to make our football program important at CU.

It's real hard to get over the KD hire and contract. People try to make excuses about the timing of the hire and the lack of options after Sark said no. But 2 guys we know were lobbying for the job are Jim Mora Jr and Bret Bielema. Undoubtedly other options in addition to them. There's no way to excuse it or sugarcoat it. It was an observably stupid coaching hire.

Saliman should’ve fired RG, hired a real Athletic Director, and let that AD hire the next coach.
IIRC, as part of addressing the Barnett 'scandal', the AD was 'demoted' to reporting to the campus chancellor. It may not be causal, but football has been going downhill ever since. It may make sense for the chancellor to oversee the school's athletic department since they are student-athletes for that campus. But, I think people like PD should not have so much power over an athletic department since they can't and don't grasp all of it. It's rumored so many times that RG had his "hands tied" and had to make decisions that weren't the best or he had to make. Another example is PD firing Mike Bohn, which I don't think was good (supposedly due to MB not being up to the financial management side).

Anyway, I wonder if Saliman would or could fire the AD without the chancellor being involved.

It's real hard to get over the KD hire and contract. People try to make excuses about the timing of the hire and the lack of options after Sark said no. But 2 guys we know were lobbying for the job are Jim Mora Jr and Bret Bielema. Undoubtedly other options in addition to them. There's no way to excuse it or sugarcoat it. It was an observably stupid coaching hire.
And an insane, unwarranted contract to boot, which makes it doubly stupid.

IIRC, as part of addressing the Barnett 'scandal', the AD was 'demoted' to reporting to the campus chancellor. It may not be causal, but football has been going downhill ever since. It may make sense for the chancellor to oversee the school's athletic department since they are student-athletes for that campus. But, I think people like PD should not have so much power over an athletic department since they can't and don't grasp all of it. It's rumored so many times that RG had his "hands tied" and had to make decisions that weren't the best or he had to make. Another example is PD firing Mike Bohn, which I don't think was good (supposedly due to MB not being up to the financial management side).

Anyway, I wonder if Saliman would or could fire the AD without the chancellor being involved.
1) Saliman is PDS’ boss, so he can do whatever he wants, including fire PDS or RG.
2) This narrative of PDS and RG being at odds is disproven by RG accepting an extension and raise from PDS.
3) RG is the Athletic Director. It is his job to persuade stakeholders, including the Chancellor, to make the Athletic Department a school priority.

Last edited:
1) Saliman is PDS’ boss, so he can do whatever he wants, including fire PDS or RG.
2) This narrative of PDS and RG being at odds is disproven by RG accepting an extension and raise from PDS.
3) RG is the Athletic Director. It is his job to persuade stakeholders, including the Chancellor, to make the Athletic Department a school priority.
Agreed.

But, that's part of my point. Bohn wasn't a lap dog to PDS (not as much as RG is), so it led to his being fired. RG has shown limited capabilities and he and PDS are on the same lame mindset.

I don't think Saliman would take that initiative so soon in his tenure, especially since PDS is (rumored to be) retiring at the end of this school year. Do see Saliman taking more of an interest in athletics, and making guidance, than the last two presidents.

A lot of revisionist history here. Bohn was a good soldier and was fired for his troubles. RG’s contract was penance from PD to make up for the $17MM loan he forced on RG. Nobody turns down a multi million contract extension on principles. That’s just silly.

So, assuming it's Deion and his son transferring in at QB. Does McCown stay (using this as a redshirt year) knowing he sits for two, possibly three years before he starts?

Agreed.

But, that's part of my point. Bohn wasn't a lap dog to PDS (not as much as RG is), so it led to his being fired. RG has shown limited capabilities and he and PDS are on the same lame mindset.

I don't think Saliman would take that initiative so soon in his tenure, especially since PDS is (rumored to be) retiring at the end of this school year. Do see Saliman taking more of an interest in athletics, and making guidance, than the last two presidents.
If RG has a similar mindset to PDS, RG must be fired.

Back