What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

First depth chart is out

The job is being handed to Webb on a silver platter.

I don't think that's known. Webb won't be participating this week from the sound of it either. It's the fair thing to do, let him lose his job on the field.

Again, given 6 QBs were taking equal snaps until today, handing Dillon the starting job would really not be in the best long term interest. Your QB needs to be your leader, and he thus has to earn the job first, and their respect later. If HCMM came out and said Dillon is the QB of the future, there'd be a lot of division on the team.

Now the QB battle can begin, and I think someone is dropped this week.

Rivals shows him as a 5.2 2* prospect with only a San Jose offer. Penciling him in as the starter in the middle of the defense as a true freshman (even with the extra year to grow) defines where our defense is. Those predicting many wins this year should pay attention.

His Rivals rating became completely irrelevant the day he stepped on the practice field. The fact he's a true freshman and is listed atop our depth chart says something about both the depth chart and about player evaluation. Given he's listed above Daigh at this point, who has shown that he's at least a serviceable LB (although perhaps challenged in the passing game) is a good sign. You got to win 2 games before you can win 12.

QB - D (no breakout = bad news?)
OL - D (inexperienced, too small?)
WR - C (except PRich they are unproven, but if they live up to potential could be a B)
RB - B (best part of the O IMO)
DL - C (looks good on paper, I'd give a B but they are unproven)
LB - D (not so hot IMO, hoping Baer can coach them up or I just don't know them very well)
DB - C (young guys got lots of time last year and will be better but will still get abused by the elite teams)

Overall - C- (all things considered)

3-4 wins this season...hope they surprise me.
Remember that both Alex Lewis and Daniel Muyner are both out due to injuries and Crabb last year was a probable starter before his back got injured. The OL is a unit where we return a good amount of experience as well with Harris, Nembot, Handler, Lewis, and Muyner all have a good amount of game time experience. The OL should be a strength this season if Bernardi is a good coach. Last year they were not helped at all by the 5-7 step drops we saw time after time and the inability for our WR's to get seperation but with PRich back that will be reduced a good amount, this year the offense will have a lot of quick passes which will help the OL look better.

Rivals shows him as a 5.2 2* prospect with only a San Jose offer. Penciling him in as the starter in the middle of the defense as a true freshman (even with the extra year to grow) defines where our defense is. Those predicting many wins this year should pay attention.
Just FWIW, Baer had a 5.2 2* DE playing LB named Vince Buhagiar, he was named to the Freshman All-American team in 2010.

Doubt it, sounds like Wood got the most reps then Dillon then Hirshman. Isn't Webb still hurt or was he back today?

What I thought Duff might have meant was that Wood, Dillon and Hirsch looked so bad at practice today, that they were practically handing Webb the opportunity to win the job whenever he is healed up.

When you split reps amongst three inexperienced QBs, the lone veteran wins without even taking a snap.

Webb shines in practice apparently. Had he been healthy, this might not even be a competition right now.

At this point I don't care who wins the job or how they were rated, I just want to see halfway competent QB play. We haven't had better than average QB play for YEARS. CU's inability to find a QB is mind boggling considering the Big 12 and PAC 12 have consistently kicked out the best QBs over the past decade.

I care a lot who wins the starting qb job, if Webb is the starter the Buffs are a one game winner at best so lets go with a qb that will be around more then a year and see if we can build.

Love seeing Moten getting some due. I think Mosley has a lot of work to do as a college level safety. Also am not surprised by Gillam. Once you see him in person, you understand why the coaches like him.

Also think the OL is a major question mark at the moment.

At this point I don't care who wins the job or how they were rated, I just want to see halfway competent QB play. We haven't had better than average QB play for YEARS. CU's inability to find a QB is mind boggling considering the Big 12 and PAC 12 have consistently kicked out the best QBs over the past decade.

Kind of what I'm thinking. I'm at the point where I am not tied to any of our players or rooting for one over the other because we're so bad. No one has proven to me they're worth getting excited about, except Powell, Richardson and maybe CUD. Beyond that I'm starting to get less and less interested in the depth charts and just want to see decent football.

Love seeing Moten getting some due. I think Mosley has a lot of work to do as a college level safety. Also am not surprised by Gillam. Once you see him in person, you understand why the coaches like him.

Also think the OL is a major question mark at the moment.

I'd be shocked if the OL is worse than last year.

Assuming Coach Mac has Webb playing out of the shotgun, I could see him starting again. he was OK out of the gun but horrible from under center. Never understood why Embo forced him under center so much when he was clearly more comfortable from the gun.

****** coaching is your answer...

Wonder if this is premature move due to being listed 3rd. There is more depth at WR than CB. He might have an even harder time seeing the field at WR, unless he's really good.

I didn't see that one coming. Very interesting move.

That is the second player moved to WR, either they didn't like them at their current position, or they were really unhappy with what they had at WR beyond the top 4 or so guys.

He could have asked to be moved to WR, but I don't know if this was a coaches or players decision. We'll know soon.

Hall was a good WR in high school, iirc, and he drew notice as a CB because of his ball skills netting him a bunch of picks. This isn't from as far out of left field as my initial reaction warranted.

The job is being handed to Webb on a silver platter.

Does it matter? With a new offense, and the o-line looking the way it is, good chance we'll see 3 or 4 QB's on the field due to injury anyway.

Gillam is the most interesting move for me. I like the idea of having a fast athletic Mike Linebacker against the spread attack. But I also understand this is pencil depth chart, fun to talk about, but holds little or no value. Webb hopefully will not win the starting job.

Gillam is the most interesting move for me. I like the idea of having a fast athletic Mike Linebacker against the spread attack. But I also understand this is pencil depth chart, fun to talk about, but holds little or no value. Webb hopefully will not win the starting job.

You don't want the guy who led the team in tackles last year to start?

Does it matter? With a new offense, and the o-line looking the way it is, good chance we'll see 3 or 4 QB's on the field due to injury anyway.
I guess I don't see the doom and gloom with the OL this year if they can stay healthy

You don't want the guy who led the team in tackles last year to start?

I have my doubts about Daigh pass coverage skills. I want the best player to start. My preference is a guy that is excellent in pass coverage and can also play the run. Last year, the team was losing on average by 40 points each week. I am not impressed with Daigh tackle total in the defense that was awful.

Back