What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

fishback to w kentucky

That really is not a lot of time, especially to put on some much needed weight and to correct a throwing motion. Some of the tools are there, but he is pretty far away IMO. That is not giving up on him, but rather acknowledging that expecting a skinny kid with poor mechanics is not best served just being thrown to the wolves if our starter goes down. You better be damn sure when it comes to young QBs because that "valuable experience" can end up doing more harm than good.

Not saying Fishback is the answer, nor am I saying Sefo as a true freshman is the answer. But let's say Dorman leaves this summer. Does a JUCO player with some playing experience essentially taking Dorman's spot really sound that bad?

To answer your last question, I would be fine with replacing Dorman for Fishback. But that's a hypothetical situation without any leads (haven't heard Dorman is leaving). I'm still not sure what his stats were at his JC, but if WKU is his only option they can't be impressive which goes back to my main concern - handing out another questionable QB scholly.

The problem here is there are no good answers. One of the issues I see no one bringing up with Sefo playing right away is how that affects the depth chart. You would end the 2013 season with two QBs that both have three years of eligibility remaining. Those situations tend to mean a transfer for someone.

I'm ok with one of the two transferring if we go with a strategy of only accepting high quality HS QBs. The next two years should net two quality QBs and that will lessen the blow of losing Dillon should Sefo win the job.

Heres how I see it, when you take a questionable QB scholly, the chances of you playing a questionable QB go up considerably. We have already sunk cost into Dillon and now Sefo and they both have bigger upsides due to pedigree. I'd rather give them the experience and build to something better than bring on a questionable QB and get stuck having to play him.

I don't think Dillon is a likely transfer candidate (although I really didn't think Hirsch was either). Dillon has been seen as a young leader, rallying the troops and has appeared very dedicated to being a Buff. He is also very confident in his abilities (remember he thought he had a shot to play last year if he was health) so at some point he may get super frustrated if he can't break through at CU.

But I don't see him as a likely transfer as long as he feels he is getting a fair shot and enough reps. Based on his last interview in the DC, it seems he recognizes he has some issues to work on and that his injury affected his throwing motion and it needs to be fixed.

I also think it is a BIIIIIG stretch to assume Sefo is in the driver's seat for playing time this year and to unseat Dillon on top of it. While Dillon showed demonstrated plenty of need for improvement he now has a lot more college practice time (plus running the scout team last year) that Sefo does not.

Every year for the past few years many of us on AB have blindly put faith in an untested Freshman QB (or RS) and basically every time been disappointed. Sefo may turn out to be a world class QB but he has a long way to go before we can anoint him the next Johnny.

Quarterbacks want to play. It is nice to talk about them being "team first" and all that, but if they are not the starter, pretty hard to see the field in a lot of cases. It is a pretty unique position in that sense.

I don't think Sefo sees playing time this season, but the practice time on the scout team and the reps this spring for Dillon is really not that much of an advantage.

Boyd - That's all well and good, but I'd rather invest experience into Dillon or Sefo than Fishback.

Heres his stats from the California Community College Association:

53% completion rate
1482 yards
12 TD
7 INT

Anyone think this is what we need? Do these numbers indicate P12 success? If Dorman was QBing that exact team, I'd expect similar if not better stats. The staff was right to not offer a scholly the first time around. I do not see a value add here.

Boyd - That's all well and good, but I'd rather invest experience into Dillon or Sefo than Fishback.

53% completion rate
1482 yards
12 TD
7 INT

Anyone think this is what we need? Do these numbers indicate P12 success? If Dorman was QBing that exact team, I'd expect similar if not better stats. The staff was right to not offer a scholly the first time around. I do not see a value add here.

Yet, the Petrino offer is compelling. Guy may be slime but he knows what he's doing.

53% completion rate
1482 yards
12 TD
7 INT

Anyone think this is what we need? Do these numbers indicate P12 success? If Dorman was QBing that exact team, I'd expect similar if not better stats. The staff was right to not offer a scholly the first time around. I do not see a value IFadd here.

The staff recruited him but did not offer. now they want him despite mediocre stats in an offense of unknown competence....
Better let Petrino take him as we are set already.

Your logic is Bigbang-esque!

I can explain his lack of offers but I will save my energy until he commits. IF

The staff recruited him but did not offer. now they want him despite mediocre stats in an offense of unknown competence....
Better let Petrino take him as we are set already.

Your logic is Bigbang-esque!

I can explain his lack of offers but I will save my energy until he commits. IF

Yes, they recruited him so hard they didn't offer him a scholly. Can you imagine when they turn up the heat?

I have to know what on Earth are you seeing from Fishback that makes you think he's P12 calibur? Answer that one. It's not his stats. And now you're referencing Petrino. Petrino doesn't coach in the P12! Fishback might be good enough for whatever conference WKU plays in (I have no idea what conference that would be) but they're not close to our level. Translation - I could care less what Petrino does. If you think he'll be coaching at WKU next year then I have some time share property I'd like to sell you.

I'm waiting for someone to chime in with Fishback's intangibles as a reason he deserves a scholarship. I've almost heard every thing at this point. When people are clamoring for a JC QB who completed 53% of his passes last year you know something wrong with this picture.

Yes, they recruited him so hard they didn't offer him a scholly. Can you imagine when they turn up the heat?

I have to know what on Earth are you seeing from Fishback that makes you think he's P12 calibur? Answer that one. It's not his stats. And now you're referencing Petrino. Petrino doesn't coach in the P12! Fishback might be good enough for whatever conference WKU plays in (I have no idea what conference that would be) but they're not close to our level. Translation - I could care less what Petrino does. If you think he'll be coaching at WKU next year then I have some time share property I'd like to sell you.

I'm waiting for someone to chime in with Fishback's intangibles as a reason he deserves a scholarship. I've almost heard every thing at this point. When people are clamoring for a JC QB who completed 53% of his passes last year you know something wrong with this picture.

I'm with you Gold

I haven't had time to read the entire thread so I apologize if this has been said. We need a transfer that is a "One to play One" type to let Sefo and Dillon grow up in the system for a year if they are not ready, and not effect future recruiting. I know nothing about Fishback, but 4 to play 3 or what ever he is scares me.

Gold, I see it differently. Effectively, HCMM has two QBs right now, Wood and Dillon. Wood has been inconsistent. Dillon is young and coming off a torn labrum. Fishback has more experience than both. It's not that I care so much what WKU is doing, I just look at the offer from Petrino as some validation that this kid has potential. I expect that CU will still try to bring in a QB, whether its Fishback or someone else.

I don't even really like the Fishback idea, but I don't like the idea of Dillon/Sefo being primary backups by default either. Dillon came out of the spring the 3rd best QB on the roster, and could have been 4th if Webb had stayed healthy. Now he is potentially a snap away from being the starter. Maybe the 4th best QB on the roster two months ago is now a guy that could see meaningful playing time, but that's okay, we will just with that... uh, yeah.

Hopefully other transfer options materialize.

Nice first choice, Gold. Mine, too. But everything is relative, and CU isn't in a position to get their first choice. Going into the season with the current options is highly risky. At the spring game, I don't know if Dillon is a deer in headlights or what, but he was a statue and was sacked on consecutive plays. We're talking about practice, and you want to put that guy under fire? I'd feel better with some experience as a backup, and Fishback can't be any worse than Hirschman.

I am not sold on Fishback and I am not convinced Dillon is ready for backup duty. But Sept 1 is still a ways away so who knows? I do think a quality transfer who can play now would be interesting but those are few and far between.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...s-sophomore-quarterback-steven-bench-transfer

Another possible transfer option. Don't follow PSU, so I really don't know much about this kid. Apparently though, he would not have to sit out a year due to the sanctions against PSU.

Problem is I don't think he is better than Wood and he would be behind the 8 ball trying to get up to speed with our offense. Plus we have Dillon and Sefo, both potential challengers as well and he seems to want to go somewhere where he is almost a lock for starting position. I don't think HCMM can offer him that.

Problem is I don't think he is better than Wood and he would be behind the 8 ball trying to get up to speed with our offense. Plus we have Dillon and Sefo, both potential challengers as well and he seems to want to go somewhere where he is almost a lock for starting position. I don't think HCMM can offer him that.

I don't know that Fishback is better than Wood at this point to be perfectly honest with you, and any new QB wouldn't be any further behind the eight ball than Sefo. I think Big Mac is looking for depth at the position, while continuing to foster competition. I agree with you that it sounds like Bench isn't looking to be a backup, so that might be an impediment, but I think the coaching staff can offer him a shot to compete and let his performance determine where he falls in the pecking order. If he's that confident in his own abilities, that should be about all he would want to ask for. To be clear, I'm not pining for this kid by any stretch, just tossing out another option if Fishback remains true to his word and sticks with the Hill-toppers.

Not sure I have the energy, but here goes.

Picking QB's is a perfect science? No. Not close.
The NFL gets it wrong all the time. Fact. Getting it wrong after 4 years of college is one thing. Getting it wrong after High School? Oh yeah, that easier?

Petrino has gotten it right a lot. I don't care if he's at WKU. He finds QB talent. So do some other coaches, many not in the mythical PAC12. How about Nevada? They had Colin Kaepernick and then David Fales. Fales left for a JuCo so he didn't have to sit behind Colin. Do you think Nevada can find QBs?

HCMM is 2 for 2 bringing in no-name non-recruited players (Linebackers) that the boards crapped all over. Yet they turn out to be pretty damned nice looking athletes this spring.

If my coach agress with Petrino and disagrees with you, well, guess who I think knows what he's talking about? I'll take non-BCS Petrino over you!

What if we just tried to develop one or two of the 5 QBs we'll already have on our roster this fall instead of bringing in another warm body? I know it's hard to resist going out an finding the next Jordan Webb or Nick Nelson, but it may be worth a shot.

What if we just tried to develop one or two of the 5 QBs we'll already have on our roster this fall instead of bringing in another warm body? I know it's hard to resist going out an finding the next Jordan Webb or Nick Nelson, but it may be worth a shot.

That makes the most sense,especially for a program with plenty of other holes to fill,but now I think we need to get a list of everyone Bobby Petrino is recruiting and go hard after them

Back