What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Flexbone/Triple Option 101

Option football was one of those things that made college ball so much better than the NFL. Too bad it's nearly extinct.

Interesting. The basic concepts are no different than what we ran in HS. The more things change...

I watched as many Georgia Tech games as I could last year. It is just such a fun style.

I think the spread gets really boring after like 5 minutes.

everyone loved it because our teams that ran it were good. and i like the style of it better too.

but, let's also admit that, when our Buffs got behind in a game, catching up was always a huge concern because of the type of offense being run.

all of our best teams have been running teams. but, you don't have to be a 'bone team to run well.

the 2001 team ran well. so did the 94 team. so did the 70 team. none of them were flexbone.

i want an offense that is physically punishing and that means running effectively. but, i also want the ability to come back in a hurry if we get behind. the 01 team threw the ball "well enough" and obviously the 94 team with kordell and westbrook and johnson. the 89 and 90 teams, man, when they got far behind, it was always a huge challenge. hagan was the greatest ever to play qb at CU, but he was hardly a prolific passer.

I will always be a fan of option football. The key to that style of offense is ground and pound and not get down early. I really miss the days of ole Big 8 football and the option teams it had in it.

The story I go by is that my high school's old coach (1960's), Emory Ballard, developed/invented the wishbone and took it to UT.

I could see a variation of the option making an appearance at CU this year. With both Scott and Speedy in the backfield at the same time, we'll have the ability to option to DScott if the safeties play back and the LB's don't commit, and to pitch to Speedy on the corner if they do.

Option football was one of those things that made college ball so much better than the NFL. Too bad it's nearly extinct.

:yeahthat:

I would still rather watch a good wish/flexbone offense than any other style of football there is.... :huh:

"Wishbone." Gawd that conjurs some heady 80's memories ...

A modified wishbone/option would be a dream come true.

How about this offense:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbGpbn3A9_s"]YouTube - split-t football[/ame]

Back