What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Folsom got a DJ for games?

How's this?

By that you mean your Grandpa graduated from CU, stormed Omaha Beach, crossed France and then hit the Germans on the back of Shermans at Aachen by the time he was 23? Now he hates DJs while you wank with hair gel in your dorm to freshman soccer profile pictures as a 6th year senior and smoke bowls while dodging work in Denver? That's the spirit Tini!

Where the hell can I find these freshman soccer profile pictures??

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually stopped going to the Nuggets games years ago because of the DJ. It seemed about as cool as those high school kids that go to middle school to tell the student not to smoke or be bullies.

Lame IMO.

But whatever. I'm not in the demo anymore.

I actually stopped going to the Nuggets games years ago because of the DJ. It seemed about as cool as those high school kids that go to middle school to tell the student not to smoke or be bullies.

Lame IMO.

and Tini thinks that's funny.

If it's what people want, then fine with me. Otherwise I just don't understand the DJ garbage. It just gives me a headache, and I'm not that old.

But we're Boulder right? Where's the hippie music? Do kids in a Boulder actually want to hear oonce oonce oonce all the time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess I'm old, but I like hearing the college bands at games. And I hate rap, or whatever the current term for the sounds emanating from a DJ performance that includes mixing songs with scratchy sounds.

that being said, I don't go to games for the music (although it is part of the experience).

I know we have a few CU band member active on this site, curious for their take on this -- I love music but I have no talent or formal musical education.

Is this a pre-game thing? Or all game long? We had a DJ in the late 80's, but he was always done about 30 minutes before kickoff.

I guess I'm old, but I like hearing the college bands at games. And I hate rap, or whatever the current term for the sounds emanating from a DJ performance that includes mixing songs with scratchy sounds.

that being said, I don't go to games for the music (although it is part of the experience).

I know we have a few CU band member active on this site, curious for their take on this -- I love music but I have no talent or formal musical education.

The basketball band deals with a DJ at Coors. The DJ will be given air time during designated time slots and the band will play during its designated time slots, because I assume he is only going to be able to do a set during long time outs. The band will still play between plays and stuff like that as normal. Really is no different than the canned music they pipe in every now and then.

Lame IMO.

That's the bottom line.

To get student attendance (the whole nation is struggling), you've got to make it an event/party that is geared to them.

I think RG is doing a good job of balancing things. He's giving us old codgers better concessions, better seating options, enhancing game day in Balch as a "family area"... and we expect that better bathrooms and more ways to buy beer are all coming.

Let the kids have their infernal racket they call music.

I hope it's not the same douche they've had the last couple of years. Announcer voice guy.
No, it's not the same annoying voice guy. Look at the tweet, it's DJ Bedz aka "The White Shadow" :lol:

To get student attendance (the whole nation is struggling), you've got to make it an event/party that is geared to them.
Thank you, current generation, for making it necessary to cater to your unsophisticated, subconscious needs. Do they even know what they want?

Seriously though, the band gets me more fired up than anything. Part of what makes college football great is the pageantry and the tradition. I sure hope that the DJ stays the hell out of the way.

This could very well drive my Dad over the edge. :lol:

Meh - he needs something to complain about anyway. He's still whining about the loud music that gets played over the speakers.

Thank you, current generation, for making it necessary to cater to your unsophisticated, subconscious needs. Do they even know what they want?

Seriously though, the band gets me more fired up than anything. Part of what makes college football great is the pageantry and the tradition. I sure hope that the DJ stays the hell out of the way.

Our director will make sure of it. If he wouldn't get in trouble from the AD, we would play all the time. regardless of ads or people on the field. There is no way he is going to back down to some DJ unless it is outlined in the game itinerary they get before the game.

That's the bottom line.

I think RG is doing a good job of balancing things. He's giving us old codgers better concessions, better seating options, enhancing game day in Balch as a "family area"... and we expect that better bathrooms and more ways to buy beer are all coming.

Yeah, I think 35 (I'm a bit younger than that) is a hard age. You just came out of that cool demo and you can stay in it but things get confusing. I don't want to be one of those older dudes that complains about music today.

This video kind of put me in my place:

[video=youtube;9ysyZF-DZFY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ysyZF-DZFY[/video]

That's the bottom line.

For years, many people have identified our student population as being similar to Wiscy. If a DJ is going after, and can accomplish something similar to what happens there (Jump Around)...I'm all for it and think it will be ****ing allsome.

Go to about 0:45 and watch if you haven't seen it.....

[video=youtube;tODlPxhbGF8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tODlPxhbGF8[/video]

Well, that seals the deal. We wanted kids in early, we want them loud and fired up, then make it a party. Good job RG.

I applaud any efforts to modernize and improve the game day atmosphere. However, is DJ Bedz really any cooler than a polka band to students? I seriously doubt any students are going to say, "this epic frat party where the balcony on which we're standing could break at any moment spilling coeds in t-shirt dresses and nothing else all over my lap is cool and all, but let's bounce so we can catch DJ Bedz before kickoff. Maybe he'll have some mini footballs to toss to us!"

Current students, thoughts?

I applaud any efforts to modernize and improve the game day atmosphere. However, is DJ Bedz really any cooler than a polka band to students? I seriously doubt any students are going to say, "this epic frat party where the balcony on which we're standing could break at any moment spilling coeds in t-shirt dresses and nothing else all over my lap is cool and all, but let's bounce so we can catch DJ Bedz before kickoff. Maybe he'll have some mini footballs to toss to us!"

Why can't you do both? DJ at the ball game. CO-EDS after. At least that's the way we rolled back in the 90s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piece of the puzzle, wspy. Lots of things go into building the atmosphere.

Having a DJ builds a certain atmosphere that is appealing to students. If, instead, we played a recording of Tony Bennett singing "Glory, Glory Colorado" that would set a different atmosphere that is not appealing to students.

This could very well drive my Dad over the edge. :lol:

Meh - he needs something to complain about anyway. He's still whining about the loud music that gets played over the speakers.

my folks hate the music that's been played in the past as well-

I'm at a take it or leave it opinion. Personally I like the CU band as background music. I just hope music isn't played for 20 -25 seconds
in-between every play. That would get annoying.

Piece of the puzzle, wspy. Lots of things go into building the atmosphere.

Having a DJ builds a certain atmosphere that is appealing to students. If, instead, we played a recording of Tony Bennett singing "Glory, Glory Colorado" that would set a different atmosphere that is not appealing to students.

My only issue is that chasing cool can leave you looking lame.

My only issue is that chasing cool can leave you looking lame.

I think that's what I was trying to say. DJ Bedz doesn't strike me as someone anyone will like. But, he's at Nuggets games and on the radio, so maybe I'm way off base. Someone must think he's cool.

For years, many people have identified our student population as being similar to Wiscy. If a DJ is going after, and can accomplish something similar to what happens there (Jump Around)...I'm all for it and think it will be ****ing allsome.

Go to about 0:45 and watch if you haven't seen it.....

[video=youtube;tODlPxhbGF8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tODlPxhbGF8[/video]

And after all of that, a loss of 2.

Anyway, I was listening to an ESPNU podcast and they were talking about lots of schools struggling to get student tickets sold and the need to appeal to the current students. They used Florida as an example. the Gators still have 2000 unsold student tickets, and a crappy 2013 season can only explain so much for a football-mad state like Florida. They also said the average age of season ticket holders at UF is something just shy of 60. 60!! The students of today are the season ticket holders of tomorrow, so the importance of appealing to them cannot be understated.

If the marketing department says this is what 18-22 year-olds like and will bring them in to the stadium, give it a try.

Back