What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Football and out of state enrollment

Things are so whiny on this board it's sickening. I have heard everything from individuals saying they will no longer donate, attend games, or even buy licensed memorabilia because they don't want to invest in CU. Now an alumnus is saying he would never recommend a kid goes to CU! Everyone is pulling their support of the University when it is in need of it the most. How is a lack of support, monetarily or otherwise, going to help turn the program around? You think the administration is going to say to themselves, "Gee nobody buys tickets or merchandise anymore, nobody donates to athletics, and they tell people not to come here. Well now seems like a perfect time to upgrade our athletic department!" Being a fan of a team/school means going through the hard times as well. If you can't Buff up and do that find yourself another school to route for...oh wait someone in this forum already created a thread for that.

Things are so whiny on this board it's sickening. I have heard everything from individuals saying they will no longer donate, attend games, or even buy licensed memorabilia because they don't want to invest in CU. Now an alumnus is saying he would never recommend a kid goes to CU! Everyone is pulling their support of the University when it is in need of it the most. How is a lack of support, monetarily or otherwise, going to help turn the program around? You think the administration is going to say to themselves, "Gee nobody buys tickets or merchandise anymore, nobody donates to athletics, and they tell people not to come here. Well now seems like a perfect time to upgrade our athletic department!" Being a fan of a team/school means going through the hard times as well. If you can't Buff up and do that find yourself another school to route for...oh wait someone in this forum already created a thread for that.

How does monetary support help our team? Seriously, our attendance and support for this team has been freakish for our record over the last seven years. At some point don't you feel a little taken for granted?

How does monetary support help our team? Seriously, our attendance and support for this team has been freakish for our record over the last seven years. At some point don't you feel a little taken for granted?
If you stop buying tickets and there is a general lack of interest in football why would they ever upgrade facilities or get an indoor practice facility? Also, generally when you do upgrades you borrow against something, like say football related revenue. If you think the support for the Buffs is "freakish", take a look at the titles of the threads on the message board. Wahhh, Boise's black unis are better than ours, we can't even do that right! The team has quit, or I'm done supporting the school is the general message in a majority of the postings. Suck it up or turn in your fan card. I get being critical of some things once in awhile, but be within reason and don't come on here just to spew negativity. Trust me the FB team doesn't need anymore.

P.S. Not going to games will also kill any chance at recruits, who wants to play in front of a half-empty stadium full of people that hate the University?

If you stop buying tickets and there is a general lack of interest in football why would they ever upgrade facilities or get an indoor practice facility? Also, generally when you do upgrades you borrow against something, like say football related revenue. If you think the support for the Buffs is "freakish", take a look at the titles of the threads on the message board. Wahhh, Boise's black unis are better than ours, we can't even do that right! The team has quit, or I'm done supporting the school is the general message in a majority of the postings. Suck it up or turn in your fan card. I get being critical of some things once in awhile, but be within reason and don't come on here just to spew negativity. Trust me the FB team doesn't need anymore.

P.S. Not going to games will also kill any chance at recruits, who wants to play in front of a half-empty stadium full of people that hate the University?

I live in DC, and haven't missed a game played in Colorado this year. I can't help myself, but I wish I could.

You wonder how we're going to get better if we don't support the program now.

I wonder how this program could get worse, even with our support.

If the Administration were to come forward with a clear plan that outlined a requirement for our support, identifying our financial objectives, fundraising goals and a vision for the future, I'd jump right on board.

But instead, we're met with what appears to be pure leadership apathy for this important public face of our University. It's in the Administration's best interest to produce a quality football program as well, and they won't recognize that until we quit propping them up with support for a bad product.

Your remarks would be spot on four years ago. But I'd argue that this has gone on too long.

I understand Hkylw21's point. I simply am not going to invest my time and money when the last six years of history has shown me the administration does not care too much whether the AD is laughingstock or not. It is a competitive world, there are a great meny things I can do with my time and money besides going to a football game. If CU ever decides to get serious again, I will gladly be back in full force.

Attending a game with my family of four, usually runs about $300+ dollars. Add in the before and after activies in Boulder and it easily exceeds $400. I simply cannot justify that anymore given what is going on up there. If you can, bully for you. EVERY school that fields a losing squad suffers from a decline in attendance. CU has had very good support for the past six years even in the face of very poor on field results. The administration has simply abused the goodwill of it's fans and alumni. It is that simple.

I had to decide between CU and uc-Santa Barbara in 2000, and having a solid/storied football team was a big selling point, among other things.

To be honest I don't know if there was a wrong decision there....

At my Rotary Club, we have a monthly installment for local students of the month. This month, the students were all chosen for their academic achievements. National Merit Semi-Finalists, Valedectorian candidates, National Honor Society kids, etc. We always have the kids tell us a little about themselves. Part of their presentation is a mention of where they expect to go to school. Today, we had six kids from various high schools in the area. Not one of them is planning on going to CU. Four of the six had chosen CSU as one of the schools they're thinking of. Another is going to Mines. Another to Yale.

NOT ONE IS GOING TO CU.

Think about that for a second. This goes well beyond athletics. While that's certainly something we all have a pasison for, the fact of the matter is that our academic reputation has fallen in recent years as well. This is not a good trend.

At my Rotary Club, we have a monthly installment for local students of the month. This month, the students were all chosen for their academic achievements. National Merit Semi-Finalists, Valedectorian candidates, National Honor Society kids, etc. We always have the kids tell us a little about themselves. Part of their presentation is a mention of where they expect to go to school. Today, we had six kids from various high schools in the area. Not one of them is planning on going to CU. Four of the six had chosen CSU as one of the schools they're thinking of. Another is going to Mines. Another to Yale.

NOT ONE IS GOING TO CU.

Think about that for a second. This goes well beyond athletics. While that's certainly something we all have a pasison for, the fact of the matter is that our academic reputation has fallen in recent years as well. This is not a good trend.

I graduated with a big class of kids from Chreey Creek HS in 97. Back then there were only 3 reasons you'd choose CSU over CU:

1 - You wanted to be a vet.
2 - You were to dumb to get into CU.
3 - You were pussy-whipped and your girlfriend was to dumb to get into CU.

That's it.

I graduated with a big class of kids from Chreey Creek HS in 97. Back then there were only 3 reasons you'd choose CSU over CU:

1 - You wanted to be a vet.
2 - You were to dumb to get into CU.
3 - You were pussy-whipped and your girlfriend was to dumb to get into CU.

That's it.

Grammar Policing is only fun when there's an element of irony. Did I use "irony" properly?

I did not say that.

I said I see his point. I also said I would not choose to go to CU at this point.

To counter walter white....

What should be looked at when comparing football to admissions is kids that apply to large state schools. In my opinion, large state schools are comparable because they offer many programs instead of small colleges that specialize in something.

When I speak to kids about large state schools, football and basketball are absoultely a factors when choosing a college.

FACT!

I didn't really think much about it, but I do remember saying, "oh at least we have a good football team." Then I showed up in 2002 and single-handedly destroyed the program.

I had a conversation with my brother-in-law's nephew about two years ago. He was just starting to look at colleges. I talked his ear off for at least 30 minutes about CU before his dad finally dragged him away. At the end of the conversation, I told him he would have to be a fan of CU football. He said hell no. His dad said hell no. His family has been OU season ticket holders for who knows how long. They go, as a family, to every bowl game.

He is now a freshman at CU. I credit myself for that part. I'm positive he is still not a fan of CU football.

I came to CU from out of state knowing very little about the school's athletic history, but amongst other factors, I wanted to go to a big college with a D-I BCS conference athletic program (all 5 of the schools that I applied to were BCS conference schools)...the actual athletic success/lack of athletic success of the schools that I applied to was not a consideration...

I have a cousin who is from out-of-state and is now currently a sophomore at CU...he is a football fan, but does not give a damn about CU football - however, he is all about CU basketball, on the other hand...a small chunk of evidence that perhaps CU is officially becoming a basketball school?

You're very wrong if you don't think a lot of kids choose schools based on athletic success.

Yep, it plays a much bigger role than many would think. Even if it isn't fantastic football at the very top of their mind, the "cool" factor that a really successful big time football team brands the school as plays a big part. Oregon is very "cool" these days. There's nothing particularly appealing about Virginia Tech. When you went to class in Blacksburg 20 years ago, a few of your classmates would literally be cows and goats. Now they have competitive enrollment and are drawing from across the country.

I didn't attend CU because I wanted to experience "big time football", I attend because CU football was the only exposure I had to the school as a kid. 0% chance I attend CU right now if I didn't grow up watching CU football as a kid.

I had a conversation with my brother-in-law's nephew about two years ago. He was just starting to look at colleges. I talked his ear off for at least 30 minutes about CU before his dad finally dragged him away. At the end of the conversation, I told him he would have to be a fan of CU football. He said hell no. His dad said hell no. His family has been OU season ticket holders for who knows how long. They go, as a family, to every bowl game.

He is now a freshman at CU. I credit myself for that part. I'm positive he is still not a fan of CU football.

Bowl game, what is that?

I doubt many kids actually put a high priority on football when choosing their school. It's a nice bonus for some, but I highly doubt it's a real factor in making the choice. So many other obvioius things would come ahead of that: location, academic reputation, field of study, cost, family ties, size of the school, commuter school vs. "college town", friends, etc.

There are approx 2,000 4-year colleges/universities in the USA. Only a small % have big time football.
Football has nothing to do with most kids who select a college. Nowdays cost is probably the #1 priority along with location and field of study. Employers don't care if you graduated from a school with a great football team. Kids aren't stupid - they know this. CU is an entirely different situation. Very large out of state enrollment due to location. The rich kids don't care about the football team, but a beautiful environment like Boulder and world class skiing certainly makes CU attractive, along with the snob rep it has as a place where "rich kids go to school".

Last edited:
Football has nothing to do with most kids who select a college. Nowdays cost is probably the #1 priority along with location and field of study. Employers don't care if you graduated from a school with a great football team. Kids aren't stupid - they know this.

The graph that WW used to support his position, which did the opposite, says you're wrong

The graph that WW used to support his position, which did the opposite, says you're wrong
I graduated from CU in 1977, and the student population is still pretty much the same. Just take a stroll through the apartments next to the Millennium Hotel on 28th St. These kids drive new SUV's and have to pay high rent to live next to campus in luxury apartments. These aren't kids who are concerned with football. I would bet most of them never go to games, and they are right next to Folsom. Your graph does not apply to the CU student body. It doesn't now, and 35 years ago things were the same. Alot of out of state students who didn't then, and don't now give a rip about a football program. That graph may be true for Morgantown, but it doesn't amount to jack $#!T in Boulder.

I graduated from CU in 1977, and the student population is still pretty much the same. Just take a stroll through the apartments next to the Millennium Hotel on 28th St. These kids drive new SUV's and have to pay high rent to live next to campus in luxury apartments. These aren't kids who are concerned with football. I would bet most of them never go to games, and they are right next to Folsom. Your graph does not apply to the CU student body. It doesn't now, and 35 years ago things were the same. Alot of out of state students who didn't then, and don't now give a rip about a football program. That graph may be true for Morgantown, but it doesn't amount to jack $#!T in Boulder.

So it's just a coincidence that the highest app rate that wasn't a deadline was after the 2007 OU game or that attendance rose a lot in 1990 and the 90's and declined about halfway through the 2000's?

Then what exactly does the graph apply to? Just random coincidence?

So it's just a coincidence that the highest app rate that wasn't a deadline was after the 2007 OU game or that attendance rose a lot in 1990 and the 90's and declined about halfway through the 2000's?

Then what exactly does the graph apply to? Just random coincidence?

I don't think it is all about the football. However, CU being good at America's favorite sport brings attention to CU. It is free advertising. Hell if it done right it is advertising that makes money. Also when the football team is good you will see more people wearing the logos. Kids that don't give a **** about football will see the logo and think, "I've heard CU is a pretty good school. I'm going to look into it."

Having a good football team can bring in kids that don't give a **** about football.

I don't think it is all about the football. However, CU being good at America's favorite sport brings attention to CU. It is free advertising. Hell if it done right it is advertising that makes money. Also when the football team is good you will see more people wearing the logos. Kids that don't give a **** about football will see the logo and think, "I've heard CU is a pretty good school. I'm going to look into it."

Having a good football team can bring in kids that don't give a **** about football.

And not having a good football team brings in kids who don't give a **** about football. They're called assholes and nobody likes them.

Absolutely, football isn't the only thing, but as you said, it's great advertising and I don't think it's a coincidence that enrollment for out of state students rose greatly around 1986 when Mac had turned things around or after the 2007 OU game or how out of state student enrollment has declined since ~2005 with the 2007 OU game spike, as 77 suggests. With the media being huge now, the biggest spikes have come in the early 2000's and the 90's where we were damn good in football. Sure not everyone cares about football, but students like going to the games when the team is winning.

Conversley, having a miserable team hurts. Wha'ts the first word that comes to mind when I say Indiana? Exactly. No one wants to be associated with a school that's synonymous with failure.

And not having a good football team brings in kids who don't give a **** about football. They're called assholes and nobody likes them.
And they get ****ed by dicks. And if that didn't happen, the pussies and dicks would be covered in **** because assholes **** all over everyone

Conversley, having a miserable team hurts. Wha'ts the first word that comes to mind when I say Indiana? Exactly. No one wants to be associated with a school that's synonymous with failure.
Basketball

And then there's this, 77:

A 5 win team can expect:
"This school may expect alumni athletic donations to increase by $682,000 (28%), applications to increase by 677 (5%), the acceptance rate to drop by 1.5 percentage points (2%), in-state enrollment to increase by 76 students (3%), and incoming 25th percentile SAT scores to increase by 9 points (1%)."

And:
Peer-reviewed paper that finds that a winning football team:
-reduces acceptance rates*
-increases donations
-increases applications
-increases academic reputation
-increases in-state enrollment
-increases incoming student SAT scores

http://nber.org/papers/w18196
http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/79251-Something-the-Admin-needs-to-read

So...winning football --> More applications --> Lower acceptance rate --> Raises academic prestige

So...winning football --> More applications --> Lower acceptance rate --> Raises academic prestige
Aaaaaaand it justifies raising tuition... I'm sure the deep thinkers in charge of the future of the football program have considered all of this when they made it a point the other day that their primary method of bringing in more money was to simply ask for it - you know, as opposed to attracting it with an appealing product.

And then there's this, 77:

A 5 win team can expect:

And:

http://nber.org/papers/w18196
http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/79251-Something-the-Admin-needs-to-read

I can guarantee you that CU has a very wealthy alumni base. The problem is that all of these rich out of state kids that attend CU graduate and never come back except for a ski vacation. I'm not saying your information is not correct, but it just doesn't apply to CU. It's like saying Boulder should have the same culture and economics as most college towns. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Last edited:
Back