What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Football Attendance 2016

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2016.pdf?sf68803361=1

CU 28th in nation for total (home/road/neutral) - obviously boosted by playing at Michigan and 14 total games

CU 7th in national for home attendance increase (7,220 more per game than 2015)

3 Pac-12 schools in top 30 for average home attendance: USC-#22, UCLA-#23, UW-#25.

In the Pac-12 footprint, BYU was in the Top 30 at #28 (58,569 avg).

Average attendance by conference:
1. SEC (77,507)
2. Big Ten (66,151)
3. Big 12 (57,531)
4. Pac 12 (50,073)
5. ACC (49,743)
6. AAC (31,611)
7. MWC (24,131)
8. C-USA (19,849)
9. Sun Belt (18,057)
10. MAC (16,391)

Pac-12 ranks (attendance/ capacity):
1. USC (68,459/ 93,000)
2. UCLA (67,459/ 92,542)
3. UW (64,589/ 70,083)
4. UO (56,677/ 54,000)
5. UA (48,288/ 57,400)
6. ASU (47,736/ 71,706)
7. Cal (46,628/ 63,000)
8. CU (46,609/ 50,183)
9. Utah (46,506/ 45,017)
10. Stanford (44,142/ 50,000)
11. OSU (37,622/ 45,674)
12. WSU (31,675/ 35,117)

Las Vegas Stadium - likely future home of Pac-12 Championship (65,000-72,000 seats)

Largest non-P5 stadiums (over 40k in capacity, current expansion work or potential in design plan):
UTSA - Alamodome (65,000)
BYU - LaVell Edwards Stadium (63,470)
UTEP - Sun Bowl (51,500)
Boise State - Albertsons Stadium (36,387 with expansion going to 48,000)
Air Force - Falcon Stadium (46,692)
Fresno State - Bulldog Stadium (43,560)
New Mexico - University Stadium (39,224 with expansion going to 43,000+)
CSU - Colorado State Stadium (41,200)
Houston - TEDECU Stadium (40,000 with expansion potential to 60,000)
SMU - Gerald J. Ford Stadium (33,000 with expansion potential to 45,000)
San Diego State - Qualcomm (54,000 but expectation is new shared stadium with MLS team at 30k-40k)

I really want to see the next phase of Folsom re-imagine the west side and nw corner to add more 200 level seating, expand the premium seating, and get the stadium into the 60k-65k range. I actually don't think it would result in any additional unsold seats. We still probably wouldn't sell out most games, but the seats that we don't have enough of right now are the less expensive ones. An upper level on the west at the lower prices would sell out pretty easily, I think. So while we may increase capacity by 10k, I would expect us to hold at an average of around 6-8k below capacity per season to give us a realistic attendance in the top third of the Pac-12.

On another note, RTD and CDOT could make a huge difference in a couple ways for us on this: 1) light rail into Boulder if the B Line ever got done would move people in from Denver; and, 2) Jefferson Parkway/ West Connect becoming a reality by linking Golden and Broomfield to complete the 470 loop while widening Hwy 93 from Eldorado to Boulder where the 470 would leave the existing Hwy 93 route would move people in from JeffCo region. Those are the kinds of projects (along with various transit projects connecting Boulder to the north such as better linking Valmont through Lafayette to the Erie Pkwy thru to Hwy 25) or the Hyperloop dream that could make Boulder so much more convenient for people and drive attendance to levels we don't currently see as feasible (like 70-80k people at Folsom). This last part is me dreaming, though. But win and see continued growth in this part of the state and this may not be such a pipe dream.

Last edited:
B12 obviously buoyed by tejass at 100K+ and the land thieves at 90K+. uTerus attendance might have been down a bit but if 20 thou decide to spend their Saturday doing something else, there's still 80K in the stadium.

1 or 2 sellouts in, what, 4 years (5?) and you state that you don't believe increasing capacity would lead to more unsold seats.

In those 4 or 5 years, a fan could walk up to the ticket booth at game time and get a sub $40 ticket for any game except those two.

I'm not following your reasoning.

I like the idea of a 65k capacity stadium. That seems about right. We should be able to sell that many seats. We need to do a better job of engaging the students, though. Today's students are tomorrow's season ticket holders. I still don't think the AD has quite figured that one out.

1 or 2 sellouts in, what, 4 years (5?) and you state that you don't believe increasing capacity would lead to more unsold seats.

In those 4 or 5 years, a fan could walk up to the ticket booth at game time and get a sub $40 ticket for any game except those two.

I'm not following your reasoning.
To piggyback on this point- isn't CFB attendance on the decline as a whole?

What seems to be working for attendance and revenue is that you focus on premium seating and you focus on affordable seats. Don't do high-priced seats beyond what's affordable for an average family of 4 if those seats don't offer any special amenities -- CU makes this mistake all over Folsom.

Premium drives your revenue while affordable drives your attendance & atmosphere (which actually increases demand for the premium seats).

CU also makes the mistake of charging the same ticket price for a section regardless of where the actual seat it. I shouldn't be paying the same price for a sideline seat when my seat is 30-40 rows back.

actually, your seat in row 30-40 probably should be priced more because you get a better view of the overall field from there.

CU also makes the mistake of charging the same ticket price for a section regardless of where the actual seat it. I shouldn't be paying the same price for a sideline seat when my seat is 30-40 rows back.

Which is why I think we need chairbacks for the first 25ish rows with a price increase to those along with reduced price bleacher seats behind them. I think that will happen, but I don't know if it can be done in the short term because it might reduce capacity to under 50k if this happens ahead of west side expansion. I don't think that will happen since we already lost over 3k in capacity with the end zone & NE corner work that was recently done. 50,183 is already a small stadium if we're really committed to being a football power.

Which is why I think we need chairbacks for the first 25ish rows with a price increase to those along with reduced price bleacher seats behind them. I think that will happen, but I don't know if it can be done in the short term because it might reduce capacity to under 50k if this happens ahead of west side expansion. I don't think that will happen since we already lost over 3k in capacity with the end zone & NE corner work that was recently done. 50,183 is already a small stadium if we're really committed to being a football power.
Just need to put that bleacher seat back like a ton of stadiums have which would keep capacity the same.

Also, with the growth in bowl games, why not add one for Boulder? It's probably a few years out, but with all the hotels being built in Boulder and the stadium enhancements happening, I don't see why not. Would add a significant revenue event for the AD while also making Folsom a lot more attractive for stadium sponsors.

As much as I would love a bowl game at Folsom field if there is going to be one in the state of Colorado is there any doubt it needs to be at Coors Field? The Pinstripe Bowl has been a success and the atmosphere would be great down in lodo for a football game with the party deck and bar scene.

As much as I would love a bowl game at Folsom field if there is going to be one in the state of Colorado is there any doubt it needs to be at Coors Field? The Pinstripe Bowl has been a success and the atmosphere would be great down in lodo for a football game with the party deck and bar scene.

Good point. I think a Colorado Bowl is something that should happen. Coors is probably the best location. Folsom would be 2nd best since Mile High wouldn't make sense during NFL season.

Not to mention that LoDo would welcome the idea, whereas who the hell knows how the nimrods in Boulder would react.

not sure i get this......if im sitting at the 40yd line id rather be 30 rows up for sight lines than too low

Back