What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Football: Bill McCartney feels Jon Embree will 'get it done'

Some of you guys are making too much of this. It's just your typical sports cliche. One game at a time, etc.

Of course he is going to be supportive.

I heard Mac on his radio show last week, he essentially chalked the teams struggled up to the coaches trying to implement the pro-style offense. His point was that since it isn't run as much in HS and it's complicated to learn, it will take longer to turn the program around. I'm paraphrasing, but he was saying that they're doing the right things, but this way will just take a little longer.

He also not so subtly bashed Neuheisel for not doing better with the talent left for him. Once you leave CU apparently you're fair game.

I heard Mac on his radio show last week, he essentially chalked the teams struggled up to the coaches trying to implement the pro-style offense. His point was that since it isn't run as much in HS and it's complicated to learn, it will take longer to turn the program around. I'm paraphrasing, but he was saying that they're doing the right things, but this way will just take a little longer.

He also not so subtly bashed Neuheisel for not doing better with the talent left for him. Once you leave CU apparently you're fair game.
I'd bet Mac, like all of us, didn't appreciate the way Slick left. I heard Mac's comments as well. I'm going to try to catch him today. He is on from 4 to 6 on 102.3. Should be entertaining, for sure.

I had suspected as much...glad to hear there's some evidence.

Reminds me of what happened with Mac. Tried to run one type of offense for a few years...it sucked. Changed the O and in one year turned it around. I believe you should run the offense your players allow...if they're not ready, change it.

The peanut gallery has officially weighed in...

Uhh?? Was that what I said? I'm pretty sure I said I don't take any stock in his comments. He's said the same thing before about a crappy HC and he's saying the same thing now about an unproven HC that appears to be floundering somewhat. I don't expect Mac to say anything different than what he's saying. I just don't take any stock in it, based on his past comments about Hawk and based on Mac's somewhat vested interest in Embree succeeding.

Hell, we all want Embree to succeed. Whether or not he will is a different matter and I don't need, IMO, Mac blowing smoke up my ass about it.

It's not in this thread and no, that wasn't directed at you. People threw those comments out earlier this week verbatim in another thread - it took me awhile to respond "gentleman-like" :)

Sorry for any confusion.

DO go back and read my first point - by his actions (supporting Hawk early and then disappearing and supporting JE now) he believes coaches deserve more than 14 games before an opinion is formed. Leading a college football program is like moving the Titanic - it takes awhile. Also - read the part about Mac saying behind closed doors and not supporting him publicly in the later years that he believed Hawk didn't get it (what it takes to be a BCS coach).

I'm not saying all is well in Buff Land and that it is acceptable that we lost those two games. I am saying there is more story to be told before we should cast final judgment versus being concerned.

It's not in this thread and no, that wasn't directed at you. People threw those comments out earlier this week verbatim in another thread - it took me awhile to respond "gentleman-like" :)

Sorry for any confusion.

DO go back and read my first point - by his actions (supporting Hawk early and then disappearing and supporting JE now) he believes coaches deserve more than 14 games before an opinion is formed. Leading a college football program is like moving the Titanic - it takes awhile. Also - read the part about Mac saying behind closed doors and not supporting him publicly in the later years that he believed Hawk didn't get it (what it takes to be a BCS coach).

I'm not saying all is well in Buff Land and that it is acceptable that we lost those two games. I am saying there is more story to be told before we should cast final judgment versus being concerned.

Well you do have an appropriate comparison between our program and the Titanic. Both have sunk in spectacular fashion.

Leading a college football program is like moving the Titanic - it takes awhile.

The Titanic? WTF?

You give CU too much credit.

The Titanic sunk because of poor design.

The Exxon Valdez sunk because the captain was incompetent.

Mac's a righteous dude, and he's not going to dis one of his former players or any current CU coach. Things look really bad so far this year. If we lose to Fresno, I don't know if we will win a game this year. I never liked the hire, but you got to give Embree 3 years. We gave a contract extension to a complete idiot before him - so he deserves at 3 years. If we have a revolving door of coaches, we will never win.

He's right. The team got progressively worse every year under Neuheisel. He saw the writing on the wall and bolted for more money.

It's been downhill ever since Neuheisel's hiring. Even the 2001 team was nowhere close to as good as the teams of the late 80s/early 90s.

Seems like a fool's errand to try to implement Pro style offense - we neither have the talent or the intelligence to make it happen. Pare the playbook down to what the players can handle and see if it produces more results. We've suffered through the "rebuilding" for almost a decade now, this needs to stop.

Perhaps the mods could make this a poll, but Mac also discussed his rationale for leaving the option, and going to a spread-type passing offense: to land Koy Detmer! I'll admit Koy was a great player and a Great buff, but change the offensive philosophy based on one high school kid's performance? Who thinks that was a good idea?

Mac loves CU and wants the program to do well, Embree is one of his guys who he also wants to do well. It may be as much wishfull thinking on his part as any kind of sense of what is happening but a guy who truly believes in the power of positive thinking talking about a program and a coach he cares about isn't going to say anything negative, especially this early into the program.

Mac hired Neu but I always had the impression that Neu wasn't Mac's favorite person. He kept his job because he could recruit talented skill position guys and he brought some youth and new ideas into the coaching staff but he wasn't close to being one of Mac's "guys."

Mac didn't like Neu getting the job, didn't think he was ready for it and didn't think he was the right guy. Mac openly let it be known that he wanted Bob Simmons to follow him in the job. Simmons was a hard worker who Mac highly respected. Mac also thought that Blacks were being unjustly excluded from head coaching jobs in college football and that Simmons had earned the right to be a head coach. Rumor has it that Neu knocked it out of the park in his interview (and that Betsy found him attractive) sealing the job. Simmons went on to coach at Okie State and did a good job there with much more limited resources.

As far as Embree is concerned I would have been shocked if Mac had said anything different. It doesn't mean he is right but he is always loyal to his guys until given reason not to.

As far as Mac's resignation he was a wreck at the time he retired. The job had consumed him and his wife was on the edge of leaving him. He realized that he had lost connection with his daughter and his health was not good. He stepped back and looked at his situation and his values and decided the only choice was to step completely aside. He was never going to be a guy who could do something halfway so he could either dedicate himself completely to coaching and give up his personal life or give up coaching and dedicate himself to repairing his personal life. Can't blame him for the decision he made.

Mac loves CU and wants the program to do well, Embree is one of his guys who he also wants to do well. It may be as much wishfull thinking on his part as any kind of sense of what is happening but a guy who truly believes in the power of positive thinking talking about a program and a coach he cares about isn't going to say anything negative, especially this early into the program.

Mac hired Neu but I always had the impression that Neu wasn't Mac's favorite person. He kept his job because he could recruit talented skill position guys and he brought some youth and new ideas into the coaching staff but he wasn't close to being one of Mac's "guys."

Mac didn't like Neu getting the job, didn't think he was ready for it and didn't think he was the right guy. Mac openly let it be known that he wanted Bob Simmons to follow him in the job. Simmons was a hard worker who Mac highly respected. Mac also thought that Blacks were being unjustly excluded from head coaching jobs in college football and that Simmons had earned the right to be a head coach. Rumor has it that Neu knocked it out of the park in his interview (and that bitch Judith Albino found him attractive) sealing the job. Simmons went on to coach at Okie State and did a good job there with much more limited resources.

As far as Embree is concerned I would have been shocked if Mac had said anything different. It doesn't mean he is right but he is always loyal to his guys until given reason not to.

As far as Mac's resignation he was a wreck at the time he retired. The job had consumed him and his wife was on the edge of leaving him. He realized that he had lost connection with his daughter and his health was not good. He stepped back and looked at his situation and his values and decided the only choice was to step completely aside. He was never going to be a guy who could do something halfway so he could either dedicate himself completely to coaching and give up his personal life or give up coaching and dedicate himself to repairing his personal life. Can't blame him for the decision he made.
fify

not sure in the end Bob Simmons tenure at OSU was that successful. he had one maybe two good years....and not nearly the success of Miles or Gundy thereafter. sure, resources are part of it...but, i have some step-family who are Pokes and they think Bob was a good guy. but, they aren't nostalgic for the Simmons era much era.

what else is Mac gonna say? i haven't given up on the staff yet....but, does feel like a long-shot at this point. but, the Utah game wasn't that long ago. we've fallen down the mine shaft since then but who knows?

not sure in the end Bob Simmons tenure at OSU was that successful. he had one maybe two good years....and not nearly the success of Miles or Gundy thereafter. sure, resources are part of it...but, i have some step-family who are Pokes and they think Bob was a good guy. but, they aren't nostalgic for the Simmons era much era.

what else is Mac gonna say? i haven't given up on the staff yet....but, does feel like a long-shot at this point. but, the Utah game wasn't that long ago. we've fallen down the mine shaft since then but who knows?

He was nothing special at Okie State. Did better than his predicesors, not as well as those who followed.

Mac had a whole group of guys who coached under him who went on to take head jobs. Some were very successful like Miles and Barnett and others less so.

It does illustrate that Mac is going to speak from his position of loyalty in most cases. It also should put some doubt into the idea that he would have been a good candidate for the AD position which many suggested. Neu was not his choice to follow him but the guy he wanted didn't distinguish himself as a HC either.

Back