What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Football Spring Practices start February 22nd

I like Huntley's size and think we could use him, but if Winfree stays healthy, he, Bobo and Ento can be the big receivers. Would be nice to get a year of Huntley back, and yes, being able to RS all 4 of our incoming WRs would be ideal.
You RS Huntley now, you think he stays? I'd have my doubts.

He could transfer to another P5 school if the situation was right.
haha - well of course, you can say that with every player. However, there has been no indication he would. He played a lot on special teams and some mop duty at WR. We return every single WR this year, plus get Winfree back. Unless he goes gang buster on us, a red-shirt is a viable option in 2017.

It's going to be funny seeing big Javier Edwards wearing #3.

Also, I'd suggest pumping the brakes on Montez. He has a lot to learn about reading blitzes and going through read progressions. I expect him to struggle a little when conference play begins (UW, UCLA).

It was Sefo's team last year, and for all his grit, he had limitations compounded by injuries. Our top three options this year are more pure passers, IMHO. In a season where offense will probably have to carry the team more, their floor may be a bit lower, but the ceiling looks much higher to me. I don't expect this year's team to look much like last year's, but am hoping for similar results.

As long as Snow doesn't adopt him as his new fave, I'm all for removing the brake pedal when it comes to Montez. He's had time to figure things out mentally, and when given the week to prepare as starter, he did well last year. I like his badass gunslinger mentality, and if it causes a few more heartbreaks, it will surely give us some incredible wins.

It was Sefo's team last year, and for all his grit, he had limitations compounded by injuries. Our top three options this year are more pure passers, IMHO. In a season where offense will probably have to carry the team more, their floor may be a bit lower, but the ceiling looks much higher to me. I don't expect this year's team to look much like last year's, but am hoping for similar results.

As long as Snow doesn't adopt him as his new fave, I'm all for removing the brake pedal when it comes to Montez. He's had time to figure things out mentally, and when given the week to prepare as starter, he did well last year. I like his badass gunslinger mentality, and if it causes a few more heartbreaks, it will surely give us some incredible wins.

Montez is going to have a huge advantage going into this off-season. He got enough significant playing time last season that he will be able to relate the film study and practice field to actual game speed and complexity. If he takes advantage of that (and I expect he will) we could see a very different QB in terms of attacking defenses.

Normally the year after getting the first significant playing time QBs can be seen making quicker, better, and more complex decisions and acting on them faster and with more confidence.

From this angle. doesn't look to be much a size difference between Montez and Lytle.

C5TZZPRUMAAIKel.jpg

In that highlight reel looks like Dante Wigley and Kyle Trego also got picks. Wigley made a pretty nice looking read and undercut the route, beat Rakestraw to the ball.

What I'm taking away from the videos is that when the guys say the goal is to win a pac 12 championship and ultimately a national championship I no longer quietly think to myself, "yeah, right. But it's good they're talking that way." Instead I think they believe that goal is achievable and are working toward what appear to be realistic and lofty goals.

It's so great that football can actually be fun again.

It's going to be funny seeing big Javier Edwards wearing #3.

Also, I'd suggest pumping the brakes on Montez. He has a lot to learn about reading blitzes and going through read progressions. I expect him to struggle a little when conference play begins (UW, UCLA).
Like he did against USC?

Seriously, I think this could be a huge year for Montez. He doesn't even have to be great, just pretty good. Don't make a lot of mistakes, get the ball to the playmakers.

Interesting notes:

Some fun, albeit likely temporary position "changes"
Donovan Lee getting a look at DB
George Frazier getting look on DL

Coach Mac said we should have a new LB coach soon that will also work with the Special Teams units, just some HR "hurdles" (?) to get through first

Interesting notes:

Some fun, albeit likely temporary position "changes"
Donovan Lee getting a look at DB
George Frazier getting look on DL

Coach Mac said we should have a new LB coach soon that will also work with the Special Teams units, just some HR "hurdles" (?) to get through first
I've seen this about Lee and Frazier in more than one place, and I can only assume it's because people saw #29 and #5 in white today... There are two #29s on the roster and two #5s. Pretty sure Lee and Frazier are both still O only

The great Maximus has declared after 1 day in shorts that our DL likely better in 2017 than '16. And that Isaac Miller is a future NFL tackle. Why does be insist on doing this?

The great Maximus has declared after 1 day in shorts that our DL likely better in 2017 than '16. And that Isaac Miller is a future NFL tackle. Why does be insist on doing this?
I do think Miller has that type of ability. However, I doubt the line is better this year on D. I think we have guys with potentially more overall ability stepping in, but they aren't seasoned like Carrell, Tupou, and Kafovalu.

Montez is going to have a huge advantage going into this off-season. He got enough significant playing time last season that he will be able to relate the film study and practice field to actual game speed and complexity. If he takes advantage of that (and I expect he will) we could see a very different QB in terms of attacking defenses.

Normally the year after getting the first significant playing time QBs can be seen making quicker, better, and more complex decisions and acting on them faster and with more confidence.
Where is Montez on the Learning Curve?

learning_curve.png

I do think Miller has that type of ability. However, I doubt the line is better this year on D. I think we have guys with potentially more overall ability stepping in, but they aren't seasoned like Carrell, Tupou, and Kafovalu.

Based on speed/athleticism along with player development of guys who didn't get many snaps last year, I think it's a possibility that the 2017 DL is deeper than the 2016 DL. And, with that, I think it could result in our DL being better when we get into the last part of the season (fresher & guys making a jump with additional game experience). I also think that anyone expecting to replace 3 DLs and not miss a beat in the opener is setting himself up for disappointment.

Javier Edwards is the key IMO to the performance of the DL early on. If he can get himself in game shape and play as much as Tupou did we should be ok. Jackson has a ton of experience and the other DL slot has some pretty talented guys competing for time.

Javier Edwards is the key IMO to the performance of the DL early on. If he can get himself in game shape and play as much as Tupou did we should be ok. Jackson has a ton of experience and the other DL slot has some pretty talented guys competing for time.

They want Umu to take over for Kofoval. The key to the defense is the play of Umu at 315 pounds. Can he step up to start or provide depth. We should be able to rotate 7 to 8 guys on the DL this year. Edwards, Umu, Mulumba, Jackson, Franke, Tonz and Coleman and maybe Terrance Lang.

They want Umu to take over for Kofoval. The key to the defense is the play of Umu at 315 pounds. Can he step up to start or provide depth. We should be able to rotate 7 to 8 guys on the DL this year. Edwards, Umu, Mulumba, Jackson, Franke, Tonz and Coleman and maybe Terrance Lang.
I agree. Obviously, I think it's a wait and see on Umu, but the physical transformation he has made is incredible. If he's ready to be a regular contributor or starter, we shouldn't be pushed around up front, with Edwards playing at 350ish and Mulumba around 300. This group may be the biggest beneficiaries of a fairly relaxed OOC schedule.

Franke really needs to step up this year, he brings an added athleticism that the others don't really have when it comes to pass rush but hasn't been able to put the weight on and be physical enough.

Back