What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

FootballCoachScoop.com: Bohn is very interested in OU's DC Brent Venables

Being in Okie, with OU fanatics as buddies, I keep up alot with OU (even though I pure, flat hate them). Anyhow, I dont think we're giving BV enough credit. He runs the Defense. Stoops WAS a defensive guy, now he lets BV run that. And he runs it very, very well.
Second, as someone mentioned, he's a fantastic recruiter with ties to Oklahoma and Texas, obviously. Strong ties.
Last, he's got the correct coaching tree. He's from Snyder/Stoops and a VERY fiery guy. I think this has actually cost him some jobs, there was a time he was considered borderline crazy. The man takes passion to a whole other level. As far as Mike Stoops being a negative, the dudes in Arizona. It took time. But, he's turning it around. Theyre having a hell of a year.

Being in Okie, with OU fanatics as buddies, I keep up alot with OU (even though I pure, flat hate them). Anyhow, I dont think we're giving BV enough credit. He runs the Defense. Stoops WAS a defensive guy, now he lets BV run that. And he runs it very, very well.
Second, as someone mentioned, he's a fantastic recruiter with ties to Oklahoma and Texas, obviously. Strong ties.
Last, he's got the correct coaching tree. He's from Snyder/Stoops and a VERY fiery guy. I think this has actually cost him some jobs, there was a time he was considered borderline crazy. The man takes passion to a whole other level. As far as Mike Stoops being a negative, the dudes in Arizona. It took time. But, he's turning it around. Theyre having a hell of a year.
I will take passion over Hawk's dead fish persona.....but, every time I think of Venables, I recall that he could not close the deal on Katoa and Hawk did.....

I will take passion over Hawk's dead fish persona.....but, every time I think of Venables, I recall that he could not close the deal on Katoa and Hawk did.....

Hey, I'd love Hawkins to win out and this be a moot point. Im biased. BUT, if things go further south (is that possible?) I think BV would be a very solid choice. For every Katoa he's landed talent that we havent seen in yearrrrs.

Hey, I'd love Hawkins to win out and this be a moot point. Im biased. BUT, if things go further south (is that possible?) I think BV would be a very solid choice. For every Katoa he's landed talent that we havent seen in yearrrrs.
Agreed.....I like the guy. Of course, my view is that Hawk must go, and I would take just about anyone at this point....

I've never heard anything to the effect that Strong would only coach in warm weather. He grew up in the Ozarks and has coached in Illinois and Indiana. Don't know if he would come to the Buffs, but I don't think the weather would play into it.

Regarding racism, it's Charlie Strong who has publicly stated that he thinks race played a part in not getting a head coaching job yet. It's not conjecture.

I would really like to be wrong about Strong. I'd be doing backflips if he was wearing a headset in Boulder next year.

Back to the OP - Venables is another name I like, and I think he's 100X more likely to actually end up here.

Think you are overestimating the chances that he stays in the south. He has stated publicly that he believes his race has held him back from being offered a head coaching position. On top of that his wife is white which, fair or not, probably does not go over well with some boosters down there. No SEC program had ever hired a black head coach before 2004 and there had never even been a black coordinator before ten years ago. It's too bad but if he were white he would have been hired as a head coach after Florida's title in 2006, and if not at that time then definitely after last year's MNC. I hope Bohn is on the phone with him.

There could be more to the story. Norm Chow, despite numerous NCs, has yet to be a head coach.

Norm Chow is old and is not good with players and media. He's better for a OC than a HC.

If Charlie Strong was such an incredible candidate he would have preceded Ty Willingham or Ron Prince or Karl Dorell into the coaching ranks. There is more to the story somewhere.

Agreed. The natives are restless. The see Miles, Saban and Meyer and are reminded that He's never turned in an undefeated season and shanked the mNC opportunity a few times. Great coach, great recruiter.

Richt is a good coach, not a "great' coach.. He is not highly thought of as a gameday coach..

UGA is in a tough spot.. Meyer and Kiffin aren't going anywhere and you got Saban, Miles and Petrino in the West.. I can see why Georgia fans are getting restless. Richt went from the top of the coaches in the conference to one of the ones in the middle..

Richt is a good coach, not a "great' coach.. He is not highly thought of as a gameday coach..

UGA is in a tough spot.. Meyer and Kiffin aren't going anywhere and you got Saban, Miles and Petrino in the West.. I can see why Georgia fans are getting restless. Richt went from the top of the coaches in the conference to one of the ones in the middle..

Well then we should roll out the red carpet for him to come to Boulder because they are complete dumb asses if they can him.

2001 Georgia 8-4
2002 Georgia 13-1
2003 Georgia 11-3
2004 Georgia 10-2
2005 Georgia 10-3
2006 Georgia 9-4
2007 Georgia 11-2
2008 Georgia 10-3
2009 Georgia 5-4 (Auburn, Kentucky, GT left to play)

He might actually turn in his first sub 500 season. What a damn shame. Those fans have [STRIKE]convinced[/STRIKE] deluded themselves [STRIKE]that he can't do [/STRIKE] that they deserve better. Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I personally think Richt is a 'great' coach. Just being a great coach might not save his bacon, though. Tommy Tubs is a great coach as well, but those other coaches you mentioned put him out of business pretty quick. Richt might not be too far behind.

Back