What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Footballcoachscoop.com

RickFlairWoo.gif

Nature Boy!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Last edited:
AlferdJasper;564030They still have to finish out two games said:
why disrupt whatever system is in place now by throwing in an assistant?[/B]

Because what system is in place is not working??

Originally Posted by AlferdJasper;564030They still have to finish out two games,
why disrupt whatever system is in place now ?

Because what system is in place is not working??

When I woke up this a.m. I realized really didn't care, but I'm not sure what happens the next two games matters a great deal. Since it IS only two games, and one of them is in four days now (--shaking head in dismay--) I don't care if they let Hawkins and crew finish out the year.

There's the senior end of the year banquet right after Thanksgiving ... it just seemed to me it would be acceptable to let the team and coaches get through Nov. without additional disruption. What good does it do to remove him Friday - with just one game to play on the schedule?

I would imagine the idea that Hawkins is a lame duck will be in everybody's mind, but he doesn't have to officially be let go until he finishes his duties for the season.

And if we are all wrong ... well, that's a possibility. There is still the "keep the HC and sweep the assistants" theory out there. I can't really imagine it now, but it still has little tippy toe legs, won't quite lay down and die.

When I woke up this a.m. I realized really didn't care, but I'm not sure what happens the next two games matters a great deal. Since it IS only two games, and one of them is in four days now (--shaking head in dismay--) I don't care if they let Hawkins and crew finish out the year.

There's the senior end of the year banquet right after Thanksgiving ... it just seemed to me it would be acceptable to let the team and coaches get through Nov. without additional disruption. What good does it do to remove him Friday - with just one game to play on the schedule?

I would imagine the idea that Hawkins is a lame duck will be in everybody's mind, but he doesn't have to officially be let go until he finishes his duties for the season.

And if we are all wrong ... well, that's a possibility. There is still the "keep the HC and sweep the assistants" theory out there. I can't really imagine it now, but it still has little tippy toe legs, won't quite lay down and die.

I agree with this - There doesn't seem to be much, if any, upside in canning Hawk 2 games before the end of the season. Let him finish out and wrap up the season.

Colorado:
Sources tell FootballCoachScoop that AD Mike Bohn is entertaining the idea of Mike Shannahan/Kyle Shannahan team as Head Coach. Sources close to
the situation tell us that Bohn sees the advantage of what Tennessee has done with the Kiffin's.

From today.

Colorado:
Sources tell FootballCoachScoop that AD Mike Bohn is entertaining the idea of Mike Shannahan/Kyle Shannahan team as Head Coach. Sources close to
the situation tell us that Bohn sees the advantage of what Tennessee has done with the Kiffin's.

From today.

:wow:

Reactions: dio
FootballCoachScoop.com: Bohn entertaining idea of a Mike Shanahan/Kyle Shanahan team.

Colorado:

WTF? Not sure what I think of this rumor..

http://www.footballcoachscoop.com/Scoop.html

Colorado:

From today.

:wow:

and so the rumors begin again :lol:

Would be a potentially cheap option for a big-time coach.

Re: FootballCoachScoop.com: Bohn entertaining idea of a Mike Shanahan/Kyle Shanahan t

Apparently this verifies that their 'source' is AB.

Colorado:

From today.

Wow.

IF this is true, I would assume the long-term direction would be Kyle as HC once the two years remaining on Shanny's deal is up. No way Shanny passes on NFL opportunities that would pay 3 times this job.

First of all, Hansen is perfectly suited for Shanny's offense. So are our big wide receivers and athletic tight ends. And we know how good his o-lines and run games were. I'd absolutely love this.

Also, I'm assuming that if it's the Kiffin model, that Kyle would be our new Head Coach and that Mike would be our OC for a couple years to help his son out before returning to the NFL. Love it.

An interesting side note is that Kyle was a GA at UCLA in 2003. That means he's got ties to Bienemy and Embree. Imagine if he could get EB on staff to coach RBs and train under Mike to be our next OC. Embree for TEs and Recruiting Coordinator (maybe Asst. Head Coach). This would be like a dream come true for me.

Shanny knows how to build an offense. I don't know much about Kyle though

Shanny knows how to build an offense. I don't know much about Kyle though

For the record, here's all the info from Kyle's Wiki page:

Date of birth: December 14, 1979 (age 29)
Place of birth: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Position(s): Offensive Coordinator
College: Texas

Team(s) as a coach/administrator:

2003: UCLA (Graduate assistant)

2004-2005: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Offensive Quality Control)

2006: Houston Texans (Wide receivers coach)

2007: Houston Texans (Quarterbacks coach)

2008: Houston Texans (Offensive Coordinator)

Kyle Shanahan (born December 14, 1979 in Minneapolis, Minnesota) is the current offensive coordinator for the NFL's Houston Texans. Shanahan, at 28 years, 26 days old, became the youngest coordinator in the NFL when he was promoted on January 11, 2008.[1] His father, Mike Shanahan, was the former head coach for the Denver Broncos.

Earlier life

Shanahan was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, while his father coached at the University of Minnesota. He later attended Cherry Creek High School in Greenwood Village, Colorado, while his father served as head coach of the Denver Broncos. Shanahan accepted a scholarship offer by Carl Franks of Duke University, but chose to transfer as redshirt freshman to the University of Texas at Austin. Shanahan played wide receiver on a Longhorn team that featured future NFL players Roy Williams, Cedric Benson, Bo Scaife, Mike Williams, Quentin Jammer, and future college coach Major Applewhite. Shanahan also became close friends with Chris Simms.

Coaching career

“I studied every potential Xs and Os play and issue possible. I spent my whole life working on that. My goal was that any question a player could have about anything on the field, I'd be able to answer it.”
—Kyle Shanahan[2]

Soon after he graduated from Texas in 2003, Shanahan became graduate assistant to Karl Dorrell at UCLA. Following that season, Shanahan was hired as assistant coach for offensive quality control under head coach Jon Gruden with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Gruden had held a similar position with the San Francisco 49ers in 1990, at about the same age that Shanahan had in 2004.

In 2006, Shanahan was hired by Gary Kubiak to serve as wide receivers coach for the Houston Texans. Kubiak had previously served as offensive coordinator under Mike Shanahan with the Broncos. At the time, Kyle Shanahan was the youngest position coach in the NFL. A season later, Shanahan received another promotion to become the Texans quarterback coach. In 2007, he had also been offered to become offensive coordinator at the University of Minnesota, where former Broncos assistant Tim Brewster just became head coach. Shanahan declined, citing his decision to be an NFL coach.[3]

Considered one of the ‘rising young stars’ in the NFL coaching ranks, Shanahan was immediately dealt as the frontrunner for the vacant offensive coordinator position after Mike Sherman had left the Texans to take over as head coach at Texas A&M University.[4] On January 11, 2008, he was officially promoted, becoming the youngest coordinator in the NFL, being more than three years younger than Josh McDaniels of the New England Patriots.

References

[1] USA Today: Texans make Kyle Shanahan NFL's youngest offensive coordinator
[2] Denver Post: Kyle Shanahan learns the ropes
[3] Denver Post: Mike Shanahan's descendant ascends
[4] Houston Chronicle: Texans' loss would be Ags' gain

Chatter on Rivals is that Mike is interested and would come in for 2 years with Kyle as his coach in waiting and OC. Me likey.

I've liked this idea for the past 3 months :lol:... but it really addresses some previously discussed concerns about having a coach only come in for 2 years then leave.

If Mike came in with the idea of getting Kyle established it would make a lot of sense. He would get to keep his Broncos money. He would also get to try out the college game, if he likes it he stays for a few more years, if not he turns it over to Kyle.

The Shannahan name alone would get them into some living rooms. It would also make it easier to get some quality young assistants to have an interest in working in Boulder.

I have said here all along that Shanny is not as long a shot as some would think. I had never considered the angle with Kyle but that makes it more logical.

I think a part of this is also that Kubiak is very likely to get fired in Houston this year and thus Kyle will also be available

Also, I'm assuming that if it's the Kiffin model, that Kyle would be our new Head Coach and that Mike would be our OC for a couple years to help his son out before returning to the NFL. Love it.

The only problem I have with that model is that Kyle is going to be tied up in Houston, at least until early January. Maybe longer if they make a playoff run (they aren't that far out of the wild card at this point...)

That seems easier to deal with if Mike is HC and Kyle the OC than the other way around. Once they both got in place, I would expect Kyle would handle more of the recruiting. But until he's available, I think I'd rather have the offensive coordinator out of the picture than the head coach...

I think a part of this is also that Kubiak is very likely to get fired in Houston this year and thus Kyle will also be available

I'm not so sure. They're 5-4 and still in the playoff hunt. Only a 1/2 game back of San Diego for the 2nd wildcard spot. But I agree Kubiak's on the hot seat and he needs to make the playoffs.

On a positive note, the Texans are like 3rd in the AFC in scoring (so Kyle's doing a good job).

Like I said, I heard mike was interested, but I never dreamed it would keep going. That would be ****ing allsome tho. **** YES. Would definitely be a different approach.

Seems crazy, but I love the idea. Kyle has ties to Colorado and Texas and his dad would would set him up for success from the start and give him more legitimacy.

As for Kyle not being available until after Houston was done, so what? Hire him and put daddy in charge to get the program going and Kyle can consult with Mike on what needs to happen while he's wrapping up the NFL season.

Quite frankly, I love this scenario and don't care to investigate other options IF the Shannys are really interested.

Hell, yeah! On all counts.

If this happens is there an off chance that David Gibbs shows up as DC? If we made the move early enough, I doubt anyone of our commits would wander off. Might even lure one of our potential transfers back. For that matter, Chris Martin might change his mind and come here.

I'd buffgasm myself into a seizure.

right now it is all talk, believe it when it happens....but if it turns out to be true, and does happen..:smile::thumbsup:

As for Kyle not being available until after Houston was done, so what? Hire him and put daddy in charge to get the program going and Kyle can consult with Mike on what needs to happen while he's wrapping up the NFL season.

Don't get me wrong, I love the scenario either way. Just saying that I'd prefer Mike as HC and Kyle as OC than the other way, if for no other reason than the one I posted above. But hell, they can have whichever job they want, they can even make Peggy the WR coach. I'll be ****ing happy!!! :thumbsup:

Not sure what I think about this. Haven't we had enough of coaches & their sons?

Back