What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Footballcoachscoop.com

I don't know if Mike Sherman has been mentioned as a former NFL guy who fell flat on his face at the college level. For every Pete Carroll, there's a Mike Sherman, Chuck Fairbanks, and a Callahan.

And yes, we hired Chuck Fairbanks away from the New England Patriots.

I think you can scratch David Gibbs off the list, Shanny fired him once before and it seems like it might have been a little ugly.

The guy the current team needs more than anyone is Alex Gibbs. He's probably ninety and senile by now, but even if he was, he'd be a MAJOR upgrade over the last half dozen guys we've had here coaching the O-line..

Just so I am not confused.

David Gibbs = Former Buff/short white dude that played in the late 80s and got into coaching and is doing pretty good. Not sure where he coaching at the moment.

Alex Gibbs = Former Broncos O-line coach in the late 90s that created the zone blocking scheme the Broncos used to dominate for a few years. I think he is coaching with the Falcons or mybe Dolphins currently?

Just so I am not confused.

David Gibbs = Former Buff/short white dude that played in the late 80s and got into coaching and is doing pretty good. Not sure where he coaching at the moment.

Alex Gibbs = Former Broncos O-line coach in the late 90s that created the zone blocking scheme the Broncos used to dominate for a few years. I think he is coaching with the Falcons or mybe Dolphins currently?

Alex Gibbs is currently coaching the OL of the Houston Texans.

interesting to me that Shanny actually met with Bohn...
has to be something that attracts him to CU

A coaching job that puts him back in the national spotlight at a football school that is within commuting distance from the Shanna-mansion. Seems to be a no-brainer to me. In 3-4 years when we are winning again and selling out every game, he can hit us up for a fair market value and we should be able to afford it at that point again.

Ok, had the right guys in mind, just didnt know where they were. I guess as long as we don't run into the Colts and Peyton Manning snagging some Texans could be a good thing.

A coaching job that puts him back in the national spotlight at a football school that is within commuting distance from the Shanna-mansion. Seems to be a no-brainer to me. In 3-4 years when we are winning again and selling out every game, he can hit us up for a fair market value and we should be able to afford it at that point again.

It's not a no-brainer because he can make $5 mil/yr in the NFL vs. $1 mil at CU. He is one of the hottest candidates today, doesn't really need to take this job to stay in the spotlight. In fact, failure to be successful at CU might hurt his value.

It's not a no-brainer because he can make $5 mil/yr in the NFL vs. $1 mil at CU. He is one of the hottest candidates today, doesn't really need to take this job to stay in the spotlight. In fact, failure to be successful at CU might hurt his value.

He makes $7 mil a year for staying out of the NFL now. If he goes to CU he still gets the $7 mil plus whatever CU pays him.

As far as being a failure at CU, I don't think guys like Shannahan even consider failure. If he takes the job it is because he thinks he can build a winner.

He may also be ready to leave the NFL. He has been in it for close to 30 years working insane schedules and dealing with multi-million dollar prima donas. The college game would be a new challenge for him (remember he gave serious consideration to the Florida job) that would let him be the man in charge instead of some money charged owner. It would let him be the competitor that he is without working year around at the pace that the NFL requires.

As to translating to the college game, people talk about how complex and sophisticated his offense is etc. etc. Remember when he was winning big he had a huge playbook but his bread and butter was simple execution of a few basic plays. Terrel Davis must have gotten 70% of his yardage on the same trap play and draw play run exactly the same time after time to either side of the formation. Shanny can coach the fundamentals and that is what wins in the college game, and loses for guys like Hawkins.

He makes $7 mil a year for staying out of the NFL now. If he goes to CU he still gets the $7 mil plus whatever CU pays him.

As far as being a failure at CU, I don't think guys like Shannahan even consider failure. If he takes the job it is because he thinks he can build a winner.

He may also be ready to leave the NFL. He has been in it for close to 30 years working insane schedules and dealing with multi-million dollar prima donas. The college game would be a new challenge for him (remember he gave serious consideration to the Florida job) that would let him be the man in charge instead of some money charged owner. It would let him be the competitor that he is without working year around at the pace that the NFL requires.

As to translating to the college game, people talk about how complex and sophisticated his offense is etc. etc. Remember when he was winning big he had a huge playbook but his bread and butter was simple execution of a few basic plays. Terrel Davis must have gotten 70% of his yardage on the same trap play and draw play run exactly the same time after time to either side of the formation. Shanny can coach the fundamentals and that is what wins in the college game, and loses for guys like Hawkins.
Why is this assumption made? The college level has all the same amount of film study and game planning that the pros do but the coaches have to recruit as well during the season and off season. What additional work are the pros doing during the off season that the college guys are not?

Why is this assumption made? The college level has all the same amount of film study and game planning that the pros do but the coaches have to recruit as well during the season and off season. What additional work are the pros doing during the off season that the college guys are not?

Yeah, plus he may not consider failure, yet he got fired for his last few years of futility. Shanahan may be a good college coach, but all these unproven guys are part of the same crap shoot that Hawkins was.

AM 1510 addressed this rumor this morning in a brief snippet, Reno said something like "Footballcoachscopp.com is reporting that Bohn met with Mike Shannahan, but Mike Shannahan doesn't match the college game" or something like that. Not really a completely helpful report

Yeah, plus he may not consider failure, yet he got fired for his last few years of futility. Shanahan may be a good college coach, but all these unproven guys are part of the same crap shoot that Hawkins was.

There are very few guys who aren't a crap shoot, and none of them would come here. Guys like Stoops, Meyer, Brown, Carroll, Tressel, Saban, Miles. Everybody else is a crap shoot. Even Patterson and Kelly and Mendenhall & Winningham.

More film study. Evaluating college players for the draft. Evaluating their own staff and everyone else's for salary negotiations and free agent moves. A lot of homework goes into things like scooping Terrell Davis up in the 6th round. If a team goes to the Superbowl, they've played what, 23-24 actual games that year? Compare that with a bowl-bound college team getting ready to play their 13th game. More travel time. More prep.

During the season, there are pretty rigid limits on the number of hours college coaches can work directly with the kids. One would pretty much have to assume that cuts down on the work hours a little too.

I guess college coaches aren't required to work fewer hours than the pros, but it's pretty common knowledge that they do.

I disagree. Ask Head Football Coach what he thought about being HC in the pros vs. college. One of his biggest knocks against him was he didn't put the time in as a HC in the pros. In the pros all the athletes are about equal, you you need tons of time watching film, game planning etc. In college you get a few top notch recruits and you can beat a bunch of teams simply by having superior athletes.

That tells me everything I needed to know about footballcoachscoop.com. Worthless. Stoops would be insane to take that job. INSANE.

On the other hand, maybe it tells me everything I needed to know about Bob Stoops. :lol:

Why would that be insane? The next coach to win the NC at ND will be annointed a living God by the fan base and media, and I'm pretty sure gets some special blessing from the Pope during a team rally at the Vatican.

Why would that be insane? The next coach to win the NC at ND will be annointed a living God by the fan base and media, and I'm pretty sure gets some special blessing from the Pope during a team rally at the Vatican.

It's a step down from OU, that's why.

:yeahthat:

ND is a bigger job than OU.. If Stoops wants another challenge, I can see him leaving for ND..

It's a step down from OU, that's why.

The only reason it's a step down is because of what Stoops has done at OU.

It is one of the few places he could get an incease in income and still be an NCAA guy, and it would be a challenge, guys with huge egos often dig challenges.

I don't think it is likely, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of realistic possibilities.

:yeahthat:

ND is a bigger job than OU.. If Stoops wants another challenge, I can see him leaving for ND..

You're nuts. He can recruit any player he wants to OU with virtually no admission requirements. He makes gobs of money and has a chance to play for a MNC every year. None of that exists at ND, except for the money part. But this idea that ND is some kind of plum job is pure fantasy. There's a reason Urban Meyer turned them down. South Bend is the place where coaches go to die (or get filthy stinking rich).

I can see him doing this, more money, no conference play, recruits falling in your lap....

He already has recruits falling in his lap. And he doesn't have to adhere to any kind of ridiculous admission standards, either. The guy makes something like $5MM/Year. You think he's going to get considerably more than that at ND? Remember that ND has something like $18MM in a buyout due to Charlie Cheeseburger if they can his fat ass this year.

If Stoops does this, he's a complete moron.

Back