What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

For what it is worth

Last edited:
If PA is threating to withhold $$ to the University because of what goes on in the AD (even though PA doesn't donate to the AD?!?!), then Benson better really, really understand that athletics isn't just something to have on the side. Time to fully support the AD Benson!!!

Anschutz doesn't seem to care too much about athletics, but maybe he cares about Mac? The only way this makes sense is if we had some proof that PA was a big follower of Promise Keepers or something.

Then the question becomes does the Religious Right trump Feminazi's? Given the $$$$ involved, God may win this one.

Anschutz is very involved in sports. He was one of the co-founders of MLS. He was the owner/operator of the Colorado Rapids. He is invested in several soccer teams. He is also invested in multiple golf courses. Granted -- no specific ties to the University of Colorado - but he's done some work in athletics.

He is also very involved in Christian pursuits. He is often referred to as "Christian Billionaire Philip Anschutz". He was really big into Colorado's Amendment 2 which dealt with same sex relationships (if I remember correctly). He financed the "Foundation for a Better Life" which you've probably seen TV commercials for if you've watched any Buffs games this year.

Not saying that it validates the idea of him backing McCartney - but there are a few dots that can be strung together with him.

This is one on the stupidest posts ever on this board...Phil Anschutz has put years in and a lot of money into the Anschutz Medical Campus - this project is incredibly important to him and it is to be one of his greatest legacies. He is a quiet man and a pragmatist - he is not one to run around making threats or using his money to extort an outcome. You do a major disservice to the man painting him as a petty egotist...he is nothing like that. Anschutz will remain committed to the Medical Campus.

Anschutz is very involved in sports. He was one of the co-founders of MLS. He was the owner/operator of the Colorado Rapids. He is invested in several soccer teams. He is also invested in multiple golf courses. Granted -- no specific ties to the University of Colorado - but he's done some work in athletics.

He is also very involved in Christian pursuits. He is often referred to as "Christian Billionaire Philip Anschutz". He was really big into Colorado's Amendment 2 which dealt with same sex relationships (if I remember correctly). He financed the "Foundation for a Better Life" which you've probably seen TV commercials for if you've watched any Buffs games this year.

Not saying that it validates the idea of him backing McCartney - but there are a few dots that can be strung together with him.

He also donates a lot of money to KU athletics...one thing you will see with him is "no strings attached".

This is one on the stupidest posts ever on this board...Phil Anschutz has put years in and a lot of money into the Anschutz Medical Campus - this project is incredibly important to him and it is to be one of his greatest legacies. He is a quiet man and a pragmatist - he is not one to run around making threats or using his money to extort an outcome. You do a major disservice to the man painting him as a petty egotist...he is nothing like that. Anschutz will remain committed to the Medical Campus.

Finally a voice of reason!

C'mon, does the medical center REALLY count for Boulder's campus? Its the "CU" system, but its a satellite for crying out loud. That's like UCLA taking pride in UC-San Diego building a new greenhouse.

Hmmm, Lets see JACK A.S.S. I think $65 million in the last 10 years trumps any money 10 fold that anyone else has given to the University athletics or otherwise.

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2010/09/06/daily9.html

Just so you arn't uninformed.

Agree w/ BnG. If P.A. had a say, it's more like -- I'm behind this guy and I'll throw in x $ to the AD + more money for the Med Center...A nice way to start a new regime with a new coach, conference, and cash in hand. Has anyone considered that P.A. talked to Mac and Mac said EB / Embree is my guy without me there? So support them Phil.

If memory serves, the Anschutz donation was due to a family member, not sure how close, struggling with brain cancer or similar illness. While his donations to the medical campus have been extremely generous, I don't think he has had an interest in the other CU family of schools. I personally find it difficult to believe that he has any interest in the coaching search simply due to his very focused involvement in only the medical campus over the past 10 years.

I'm grateful PA has put so much into CU, but if his interests ($$) don't extend to the Athletic Department, why would he care so much about who the next head football coach is? Seriously , why does he even care?

What a horrible thread. I'm not subscribing to this ****.

EDIT: ****.

I don't know what to believe, however .....

wasn't it just a week ago a tweet came out re: Anschutz and his financial backing of Coach Mac ?
not saying it was true or not but I still find it rather interesting and entertaining if nothing else..

Unless P.A. is donating money to athletics and football, I could care less who he wants.

Can someone break this down into bullet points for me, I can't read all this run-on ****.

Thats not a run on sentence my fellow C.U. Alum. It's called a paragraph.

par·a·graph (pr-grf)
n.
1. A distinct division of written or printed matter that begins on a new, usually indented line, consists of one or more sentences, and typically deals with a single thought or topic or quotes one speaker's continuous words.
2. A mark ( ¶ ) used to indicate where a new paragraph should begin or to serve as a reference mark.
3. A brief article, notice, or announcement, as in a newspaper.
tr.v. par·a·graphed, par·a·graph·ing, par·a·graphs
To divide or arrange into paragraphs.

so, Anschutz is holding the university money hostage to get Mac as coach when he doesn't normally donate to athletics? nice. classy move...and one i find hard to believe.

Oh rly? In the vast history of college football two equally wealthy individuals imposing their will on an institution come to mind;

1. T Boone Pickens. Demanded and got his personal choice, Mike Gundy, hired as HFC at Oklahoma State. He had so much cash on the table that Les Miles was forced to accept Gundy as an assistant.

2. Phil Knight. Do you really believe the Ducks willing chose those uniforms?

Oh rly? In the vast history of college football two equally wealthy individuals imposing their will on an institution come to mind;

1. T Boone Pickens. Demanded and got his personal choice, Mike Gundy, hired as HFC at Oklahoma State. He had so much cash on the table that Les Miles was forced to accept Gundy as an assistant.

2. Phil Knight. Do you really believe the Ducks willing chose those uniforms?

They donated directly to the AD of their respective schools. The OP says Anschutz is threatening to withhold donations to the academic side if he does not get his choice as football HC. Can you see the difference or not? I sincerely hope so.

Take what you will from my posts and read into it anyway you want. I am not saying Anschutz is holding the University hostage. For all I know it could have been a ploy to ward off the "femnazis".

All I know is phone calls were made last night and CU has a new coach TODAY!
The committee met with Bohn last night and phone calls were made to the candidates informing them of the decision.

THIS I AM SURE OF. CU HAS A NEW FOOTBALL HEAD COACH AS OF TODAY!

Take what you will from my posts and read into it anyway you want. I am not saying Anschutz is holding the University hostage. For all I know it could have been a ploy to ward off the "femnazis".

The committee met with Bohn last night and phone calls were made to the candidates informing them of the decision.

You just don't know who it is. Is that correct?

then why not hold a presser this afternoon so this HC can get to work... there's a lot to do

Mac without EB on the staff just scares the hell out of me....not excited at all

Think mac is by far a greater risk than EB

I have mixed feelings too. I believe you should never go back because its usually never as good the 2nd time around. All things being equal, and they are not equal to 89-94, its still very difficult to capture lightning in a bottle twice.

I have concerns about Mac's age and his ability to relate to todays players I have no concerns about his skill as a coach. If the rumors of his decision to reassemble most of his past staffers (Simmons, Hank, et al.) are true then thats a bunch of old dudes but they were also very very good assistants. I think we would probably be a pretty damn good football team all said and done. With the age of the group comes the concern of who among them is young enough to be groomed into being the next HC. One rumor had Barnett returning as OC but that will never happen. Plug EB in instead and the excitement factor goes up. Problem is that EB would likely be off to a HC job somewhere else within 2 years.

To me the larger concerns are the difficulties created at the enrollment window, APR, and support by The President's and Chancellor's office.

Last edited:
They donated directly to the AD of their respective schools. The OP says Anschutz is threatening to withhold donations to the academic side if he does not get his choice as football HC. Can you see the difference or not? I sincerely hope so.

Actually T. Boone donates a lot of money to the academic side of OSU. He is big in the OSU Geology school. His most recent donation to OSU was a $100 million donation to the academic side. He's donated, in total, about $400 million to OSU. All but about $165 million has gone to the athletic department.

He is certainly in favor of Mike Gundy.

You just don't know who it is. Is that correct?

I'm not 100% sure so I don't want to say, but I am 100% positive that the New Head Coach was notified by Phone Last Night of the decision. That is what I said last night would happen and I have confirmed it today that phone calls were made last night. GUARANTEED.

i'm not 100% sure so i don't want to say, but i am 100% positive that the new head coach was notified by phone last night of the decision. That is what i said last night would happen and i have confirmed it today that phone calls were made last night. Guaranteed.

fact. !!

I'm not 100% sure so I don't want to say, but I am 100% positive that the New Head Coach was notified by Phone Last Night of the decision. That is what I said last night would happen and I have confirmed it today that phone calls were made last night. GUARANTEED.

So you don't know who it is and you don't know when it will be announced, but you're sure it is a done deal with someone, somewhere?

Come on, why even come here with that? Is your ego in need of a stroke that bad?

So is it an either/or proposition? How many coaches are in the pool of potential telephone call recipients?

Back