What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

For you Sooner Fans (Especially in the OK State Pen.)

BuffSax

USA Today
Friday, August 24, 2007

Jump on The Bandwagon; Literally: Sooner Fans Among Least Educated

Norman, OK – A new study released last month by the Sports Statistics Foundation, a research and statistical think-tank based in Dallas , Texas , shows that Sooner fans are among the least educated in the nation, and dead last in the Big 12.

The study was commissioned by the Big 12 last year to assist the sports marketing department. "We thought the information would be valuable in determining where to place our TV, radio, and print advertisements", said Bill Brenner, Big 12 Executive Director, "but we never expected these results."

The study looked at the percentage of each school's fans that have a college education. Only 4.7% of sports fans identifying themselves with The University of Oklahoma had completed a college degree, lowest among the Big 12 teams. OU ranked in the lower 5th percentile nationally. Additionally OU ranked 3rd in the nation in number of high school dropouts claiming allegiance to the school as a percentage of the total fan base.

The survey results were both good and bad for the State of Oklahoma . Oddly enough the study showed the Oklahoma State University had some of the most educated fans. According to Brenner this wasn't so surprising, "OSU is known nationally and internationally for several programs that are consistently recognized for their quality. It's not all about cows and corn there in Stillwater ."

OU fans, get ready. Change is on the way. "Due to the surprising results, we're going to have to reevaluate our entire advertising campaign", says Joe Castiglione, University of Oklahoma Athletic Director . "Historically our strategy has been to target wealthy, educated professionals in an attempt to increase season ticket holder revenue which carries higher profit-margins. Now we see a more targeted economic class approach being appropriate, focusing on the low-income, uneducated fan base."

What does that mean for the fans in Norman ? "We'll have to explore more non-traditional ad spaces, says Castiglione. We've started a pilot program in two separate trailer parks in the OKC metro area in an attempt to increase the Sooner brand awareness there, passing out OU car flags and lawn signs to residents. We've also purchased ad space in several gentlemen's clubs."

These tactics may seem extreme and even bizarre, but this could be just the tip of the iceberg according to Castiglione, "We've just begun to explore innovative advertising for the low-income, low-education demographic. We're currently in discussions the Oklahoma State Prison system about providing free televised OU football games, as well as plasma TVs in exchange for exclusive broadcasting rights within the State's prison system."

It's hard to say if the campaign will be successful according to Brenner, "We commissioned the study to help schools generate athletic revenue through improved marketing. How they choose to implement ad campaigns is up to them. Though I can't imagine the prisoner fan-base is the way to go. I wouldn't want to be known as the official school of the state penitentiary".

- Stanley Greer is an AP sportswriter covering college and Olympic athletics and can be reached at sgreer@usatoday.com.

(It's a fake, but I still think it's hilarious)

Last edited:
that is awesome, just confirming my perception. Okie state must be close

I remember back in the 90's when I worked nights and I listened to sportstalk radio One on One sports(later was Sporting News radio) with Bob Kemp overnight.. He always said that OU fans are the dumbest in the nation.. And when they called in they would always say the dumbest things.. Stuff like Justin Fuente was going to bring OU back, John Blake was going to be the next Bud Wilkinson, etc,etc.. They are more civil than Raiders fans, but not necessarily much smarter..

I remember back in the 90's when I worked nights and I listened to sportstalk radio One on One sports(later was Sporting News radio) with Bob Kemp overnight.. He always said that OU fans are the dumbest in the nation.. And when they called in they would always say the dumbest things.. Stuff like Justin Fuente was going to bring OU back, John Blake was going to be the next Bud Wilkinson, etc,etc.. They are more civil than Raiders fans, but not necessarily much smarter..

rep for one on one sports inna day. i loved Bob Kemp. the best.

Back